801 Washington Street
Cape May, NJ 08204Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.washingtoninn.com/
- Phone: 6098845697
- Hours of Operation:
We will be open Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays in May for dinner from 5pm. Starting on May 24th we will be open everyday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Miriam Wood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: The Washington Inn provides off-premise catering at whatever location you desire. We are expert at arranging details, creating just the right look, and, of course, offering your guests the highest quality food & attention available. Our catering staff will help you plan an outstanding event, customized to your needs and budget. The Inn caters early- afternoon wedding receptions for up to 125 people on premises. If your guest list is longer, we can help to arrange a reception at the Cape May Beach Club, the Isaac Smith Vineyard,Cape May Winery, your home or wherever you prefer.
- Private Party Facilities: Whether you are hosting a wedding, rehearsal dinner or a private business meeting, Cape May’s famed Washington Inn has rooms & menus to suit your every need. The former plantation home, circa 1840 offers the cozy Wine Cellar that holds up to 18, or the all-season patio that seats up to 40, or the garden room that accommodates 50, or the entire restaurant for daytime events or selected evening affairs. Your guests will enjoy the same great food and service that have earned The Washington Inn its must-dine reputation.
- Private Party Contact: Jennifer Rafferty 6098845697
- Special Events: Five for Friday in the Wine Bar. Every Friday evening we offer 5 great items for only $5. Choice of wine, Cocktail, Oysters, Sliders and Appetizers Join us on Fridays!
A word from Washington Inn
Built in 1840, this former Cape May plantation residence is now home to the acclaimed Washington Inn and Wine Bar. The Craig Family has carefully preserved the beauty & essence of this distinctive treasure without undertaking major alterations to its original form. The Inns welcoming facade overlooks tree-lined Washington Street in the seaside communitys Historic District. The Washington Inn offers six unique dining areas, from a summer patio to cozy fireside tables. Cocktails are a must in the Wine Bar, where the passing Cape May scene can be best appreciated. Often described as romantic, our easy-going elegance will satisfy anyones craving for fine dining. Our enticing menu offers the best of American cuisine, but with an inventive, upscale edge. Food, Service, Ambiance, the essential ingredients for dining excellence, are all deftly blended here at The Washington Inn. We are what "eating out" used to be -- before it became hurried, incorporated & unimaginativeContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Washington Inn - Best Restaurants in Cape May ›
Washington Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
374 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (279)romantic (230)notable wine list (193)fit for foodies (177)neighborhood gem (123)vibrant bar scene (51)good for groups (43)hot spot (26)scenic view (18)kid-friendly (16)great for brunch (12)great for lunch (9)late-night find (8)great for outdoor dining (7)Show More
- comfortable and pleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014Altho I enjoyed dinner...the food was not as good as the beautiful,comfortable and quiet atmosphere. I had onion soup that tasted like flower and water. My spinach was cold and bitter. Wine ,dessert and bread was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Food was outstanding! Service was great and friendly. Environment was terrific, valet parking a huge plus. A little pricy, but we had a great time.Special Features:
- IrisheyesIrishEyesDined on 8/24/2014Something missing. Staff seemed a little off......Special Features:
- tinkerbellDined on 8/24/2014Excellent!!!!!!!!!! It was a delightful dinner. Couldnt have been any better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Excellent service both in the bar and dining area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingZinmanVIPDined on 8/23/2014After dining here for over 20 years I was disappointed for the first time. Menu was good but nothing exciting or very creative. Seated at a table next to a large party that was too close to our table. Waiter was attentive one issue food came out too quickly. I will return however, as I really list the restaurant I will try wine bar area next time.Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningpatj27Dined on 8/22/2014I dined at the Inn with my girlfriend, we had never been here before. What a wonderful time we had. Everything exceeded our expectations. The service was great, food was excellent. We enjoyed the recommendations made by the staff. I highly suggest you dine at the Inn, it is a wonderful occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinner2forcapemayDined on 8/22/2014We have been patronizing the Washington Inn for about 15 years as we celebrate our wedding anniversary in Cape May. This year was our 50th and we were not disappointed. The dinner and service were excellent as well as the delicious champagne recommended by our server newly added to there extensive wine list. WI is still number one with us when we vacation.Special Features:
- JulesVIPDined on 8/22/2014Good food. Not as amazing as 2 years ago but still good. Awesome service . Love how kid friendly they are!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining ExperienceCyx6fourDined on 8/21/2014If you are looking for a near perfect dining experience then the Washongton Inn is the place for you. The food is inventive and never disappoints. Try the fig bruschetta if it is offered. Dynamite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Washington Inn Cape May NJAnnapolitanDined on 8/21/2014Enjoyed a delicious dinner with friends! Menu, although not extensive, had beautiful items listed with just the right amount of choices. We each had something different and none of us were disappointed. Our plates were beautiful and scrumptious. Service was excellent. They allow BYOW for a corkage fee of $20.00 per bottle, although the wine list was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodSjm2014Dined on 8/21/2014Great food and a very nice wine list. The decour is ready for an update. We love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best on Jersey Shore?GeorgeDDined on 8/20/2014In my view, absolutely...quaint neighborhood setting and unique twists on every dish... Including deserts... Awesome...Special Features:
- Highlight of a Cape May vacationBrooklynmamaDined on 8/20/2014I love to bring my children here for an upscale dinner and respite from beach fare. Their fish is terrific and they serve a small filet mignon for kids that is delicious. We all look forward to our special meal here each time we visit Cape MaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BonnieVIPDined on 8/20/2014The Washington Inn has the best bar in Cape May and we were there every night that we were in town. But after many years of not eating dinner there, we tried it again with friends and again we were disappointed. The ambience is such that you should dine, but dining is impossible. Appetizers are okay but no sooner are the plates scooped off the table than the entrees immediately appear, each one accompanied by the warning that the plates are hot. We all know what that means: the food has been prepared before and heated before being served. And indeed the food was between poor and fair. We have heard that the family that owns the Washington Inn is wonderful; if only the food were.
- Luv2dineDined on 8/19/2014It was excellent. The food was very good and they really pace the meal wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service. Delicious food.ScottyMacDined on 8/18/2014Everything was awesome as usual. The bonus was having gluten free items marked on the menu instead of it being a guesing game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!TriggerDined on 8/18/2014My husband, son and I ate dinner here while on vacation. The food was very good, fresh and flavorful. The ambiance was romantic with a green house in the dining room. The people who dined here were all classy and well dressed. To get a fine dining experience definitely drive 10 minutes to Cape May if vacationing in Wildwood Crest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- still a special placeortleyitesDined on 8/17/2014While the jacket requirement is gone, resulting in some shorts and even t-shirts, the elegance remains. Menu limited but wonderful. Still a special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A return home!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/17/2014My wife and I return to Cape May every year for our anniversary because it is where we grew up. We always eat at the Washington Inn on our anniversary night because it is special to us and has some of the best food and service in Cape May.Special Features:
- VicnCinDined on 8/16/2014We celebrated our engagement, first year anniversary, and now our 17th anniversary here and it's was just as good then and now; never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!Busdriver42Dined on 8/16/2014The food was amazing and came out fast! Could have something to do with having a early reservation. The wait staff was kind and personal and I didn't see a single cell phone witch is my pet peeve. I looK forward to eating here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make a reservation before 8:00pmOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014When making your reservation please consider that the Washington inn is very busy and even though you have a reservation for a specific time you will have to wait. We had an 8:30 reservation and at 8:30 they were still backed up seating the 8:15 reservations. We were not seated until almost 8:45 and by the time the waiter came to our table it was almost 9:00 PM. The restaurant was so busy that by the time our appetizer was served it was almost 9:30--way too late for an enjoyable dinner. By that time, the air conditioner was already off and we had to ask our waiter to turn the air back on as it was uncomfortably warm in the packed dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/15/2014Great food and service. A very busy Saturday eve so a bit slower than usual. Prices have goon up considerably so therefore an expensive eve indeed.Special Features:
- PerfectSharonandTopsDined on 8/15/2014The Washington Inn is one of our favorite restaurants. Every time the good is amazing, service is great, and the Inn is beautiful! It is always a perfect evening!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Washington InnDandJdiningDined on 8/15/2014This was our first visit to the Washington Inn and both my wife and I enjoyed it immensely. The service could not have been better and the waiter added to the enjoyment. I will recommend this restaurant to anyone and will definitely plan a return visit.Special Features:
- Love every visitCloudyDined on 8/14/2014While you may have to wait in the busy summer months ( even if you have a reservation) there is a reason. The Washington Inn is awesome! My favorite place in Cape May. Very large wine list ( decently priced) and the seafood is fresh and tasty. I look fed to our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner treatEasy2pleaseDined on 8/14/2014We arrived ahead of our reservations and had a drink in The Wine Bar. Lovely vibe and drinks were good. Our table for two was located in the porch. Our server was professional and handled the busy room easily. The appetizers were good..scallops and corn chowder soup. The soup was lukewarm. An appetizer of scallops was very good. The pork chop and the crab cakes for the main courses were amazing. We had no room for dessert but wished we had. The ability to valet park added to a wonderful night. We will come back many times. An elegant place without being stuffy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014Great dining on Thursday night. Arrived early for reservation after a day in Cape May. They seated us and we had a fabulous meal. Filet mignon, bronzino, Malbec from the wine list, lobster bisque with triple chocolate for dessert. Celebrating 43 years in style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine meal!Petite4Dined on 8/14/2014Most pleasant setting with well prepared dishes and friendly, knowledgeable service. Ordered the extremely well-made seared scallops with succotash appetizer, followed by a thick, moist, local swordfish steak. I requested a slight alteration to the swordfish's preparation and it was provided unhesitatingly. My companion had the Oysters Rockefeller and the rack of lamb and was equally pleased. Would definitely return. We also enjoyed the 15 minute walk back and forth to our motel on the beach with no need to drive, although there is valet parking available. Also has a full bar, unlike many restaurants at Cape May!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014Dinner was excellent, prices a bit high but expected Service was fair at best
- never disappointingbwlaubeDined on 8/14/2014Great food! Great service! Excellent choice for our anniversary dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulannejobanjoDined on 8/13/2014we have eaten here before, but this was a great meal, very good service. 4 very happy customers.Special Features:
- 25th anniversary dinnernancjackVIPDined on 8/12/2014We prefer the "wine bar" room because it is more intimate for a romantic dinner. We had an excellent meal and service to celebrate our 25th anniversary. This is our favorite splurge in Cape May. It's great for upscale drinks and tapas too.Special Features:
- Love this placemariacDined on 8/12/2014You will never be disappointed when visiting The Washington Inn. Our server, Darren, was pleasant & knowledgeable about the wine lists and food pairings. The food is outstanding and the prices are reasonable. For a truly gourmet experience, you've got to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014Great food and wait staff. The food did not come hot at all and finally asked it to be reheated. Very cold breeze from the AC. Some came in and asked to be moved because of the temp. Very noisy (We were in the enclosed porch.) Would have been more pleased if seated elsewhere. No excuse for the tepid food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- andrewDined on 8/10/2014Great place my only concern was they claimed my open table dining card was not valid. This was not true i called to make sure it had not expired. It was a hundred dollar card and then had to use visa. I would have not gone to a restaurant that did not accept open table dining cards. Very dissapointed with the inability to use the card.Special Features:
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Food was outstanding. Service was great. Over all experience was a pleasant experience.Special Features:
- Washington Inn Always A FavoriteJRPeteDined on 8/9/2014Never disappointed at this restaurant. Wonderful atmosphere and a fine dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food & DessertmarylizzieDined on 8/9/2014We enjoyed everything we had. I had filet mignon & my husband had a soft shell crab special. The restaurant is beautiful & the staff is superb. The dessert was amazing. I had a chocolate mousse tower & my husband had blueberry & pear crisp. It was expensive but well worth the splurge on vacation :)Special Features: