801 Washington Street
Cape May, NJ 08204Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.washingtoninn.com/
- Phone: (609) 884-5697
- Hours of Operation:
We will be open Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays in May for dinner from 5pm. Starting on May 24th we will be open everyday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Miriam Wood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: The Washington Inn provides off-premise catering at whatever location you desire. We are expert at arranging details, creating just the right look, and, of course, offering your guests the highest quality food & attention available. Our catering staff will help you plan an outstanding event, customized to your needs and budget. The Inn caters early- afternoon wedding receptions for up to 125 people on premises. If your guest list is longer, we can help to arrange a reception at the Cape May Beach Club, the Isaac Smith Vineyard,Cape May Winery, your home or wherever you prefer.
- Private Party Facilities: Whether you are hosting a wedding, rehearsal dinner or a private business meeting, Cape May’s famed Washington Inn has rooms & menus to suit your every need. The former plantation home, circa 1840 offers the cozy Wine Cellar that holds up to 18, or the all-season patio that seats up to 40, or the garden room that accommodates 50, or the entire restaurant for daytime events or selected evening affairs. Your guests will enjoy the same great food and service that have earned The Washington Inn its must-dine reputation.
- Private Party Contact: Jennifer Rafferty 6098845697
- Special Events: Five for Friday in the Wine Bar. Every Friday evening we offer 5 great items for only $5. Choice of wine, Cocktail, Oysters, Sliders and Appetizers Join us on Fridays!
A word from Washington Inn
Built in 1840, this former Cape May plantation residence is now home to the acclaimed Washington Inn and Wine Bar. The Craig Family has carefully preserved the beauty & essence of this distinctive treasure without undertaking major alterations to its original form. The Inns welcoming facade overlooks tree-lined Washington Street in the seaside communitys Historic District. The Washington Inn offers six unique dining areas, from a summer patio to cozy fireside tables. Cocktails are a must in the Wine Bar, where the passing Cape May scene can be best appreciated. Often described as romantic, our easy-going elegance will satisfy anyones craving for fine dining. Our enticing menu offers the best of American cuisine, but with an inventive, upscale edge. Food, Service, Ambiance, the essential ingredients for dining excellence, are all deftly blended here at The Washington Inn. We are what "eating out" used to be -- before it became hurried, incorporated & unimaginativeContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Washington Inn - Best Restaurants in Cape May ›
Washington Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
328 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (240)romantic (202)fit for foodies (176)notable wine list (162)neighborhood gem (115)vibrant bar scene (48)good for groups (44)hot spot (25)late-night find (8)scenic view (7)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (6)great for lunch (3)Show More
- Never disapoints we had a lovely eveningCMPTDined on 11/22/2014Are evening at the Washington was perfect, arrived had a drink at the bar wasn't rushed got to our table enjoy appetizer , entrée and even had crème brullee for dessert! Our server was so nice everything was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cape May's FinestAnniesaysDined on 11/22/2014Always a favorite a personal favorite while visiting Cape May. Food and service consistently good. Overall a winner and a must go for those that appreciate fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2014Great experience to celebrate a special occassion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not Great......terjayDined on 11/15/2014We dined at the Washington Inn this past weekend to celebrate my birthday and our wedding anniversary. We have bben to this restaurant before, and decided it was a great choice to celebrate again at. Perhaps we were wrong... the food was not as wonderful as we remembered. My husband's lobster bisque soup did not have any lobster in it, my NY strip was undercooked and very fatty. The dessert was wonderful, the wine list was very good as well. For the prices charged, we were disappointed and will probably dine elsewhere when we visit Cape May again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fall dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2014Last minute November weekend trip away and was able to secure a table for two with short notice at restaurant. Service was fantastic. Wine was superb. Food was fine but not great for the price you pay. Howver, I would still recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful service!mflorianDined on 11/15/2014We celebrated our 25th anniversary and received excellent service and food. The staff (James) and management acknowledged our special occasion and provided the finest of service. From the moment we entered the restaurant, we felt we were special guests. The restaurant was very busy with some higher noise level coming from the bar/restaurant, but nothing that negatively impacted our wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ChoiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/14/2014In the Cape May area for over six years and this was our first visit to the Washington Inn. Sorry it took so long. It will not be our last. It's a gem. Our server Sean was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Dining TreasureLindaVIPDined on 11/8/2014Our stay in Cape May was certainly enhanced with this wonderful dining experience. The food was fabulous, especially the pork chop. I would have dined there the second night just to repeat that dinner. Our waiter was extremely knowledgeable and we had a really great time. Can't wait to return to the Washington Inn. The walk there from our hotel was so nice and allowed us to have that extra glass of wine!!Special Features:
- What A FindJerryDined on 11/8/2014We took the Trolley Tour and there was a comment about the Washington Inn being a good place to eat. We decided to give it a try and am I glad we did. Great place to eat - the food was fantastic and our server was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RuthDined on 11/8/2014Our meal was delicious but I remember the lobster bisque as having a different flavor than this one. I rather the other. When looking at the table next to us, I really wish I would have gotten the shrimp cocktail as it looked amazing. I will definitely get it the next time I am there. Our sea bass was delicious and I enjoyed it very much. My husband's had a few bones in it but mine was fine. Thank you for the complementary dessert for our anniversary. We will definitely come back. I do have the Washington Inn cookbook and use the recipes frequently.Special Features:
- Never AgainMikeJ1956VIPDined on 11/8/2014We arrived at 6:15 for our 6:30 reservation and was told to have a drink at the bar, they have to seat 2 parties that have a 6:15. We understand we were early, so we had a cocktail at the bar and paid the check at 6:35. In those 20 minutes there must have been 40-50 people that arrived. We saw 7 parties seated before I went back to inquire how much longer before we would be seated and was told just a few more minutes, 10 minutes later we were called to be seated and was told "we are really busy tonight, we have 3 tables to offer you" I thought it was an odd thing to say but it was a warning. All 3 tables were in the high traffic areas, great if you like looking at people bumping your table and chairs. The filet I had was tough and dry.
- excellentDoloresDined on 11/8/2014Excellent always, misssed having the rack of lanb on the menu though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Andrew DiodatoChairmanssDined on 11/7/2014Always have a great meal here. It is upscale but well worth it. I try to go every time I am in Cape May. The food is top notch and the service is superior.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Outstandingluv2dineDined on 11/1/2014We have a second home in the area and have dined at the Washington Inn for 20 plus years and it is continually consistent. Excellent cuisine and outstanding service. The real stand out this time was a foie gras mousse served with the duck. It was one of the best things I have ever tasted. The Meyers steak was also delicious. Very tender.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Celebration Tradition ContinuesGeorgeandEllieDined on 11/1/2014The Washington Inn is always top-notch. We have celebrated birthdays and anniversaries there for several years. Outstanding service, food, and attention to detail.Special Features:
- Randan22Dined on 10/25/2014Another wonderful dining experience at Washington Inn. Excellent (requested) seat location, excellent food, excellent service. Thank you to all at the Washington Inn, we highly recommend dining there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingPaulGabyDined on 10/25/2014This is a top notch restaurant, and that is coming from someone that can be very very particular about places to eat at. Must go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Washington InnDiddyDined on 10/24/2014We have been dining at the Washington Inn for many years and have enjoyed consistently excellent food and service. We have made this restaurant our choice to celebrate our anniversary every year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- justmeDined on 10/24/2014We had a wonderful evening- celebrating a 1 year wedding anniversary, a 35 year wedding anniversary and an 89 year birthday! The Washington Inn was the right choice for these special occasions. Our dinner choices were varied, and we all chose something different, and we were all very happy with our dinners. Then came dessert - and it was the perfect ending of a great evening of food! Our choices included oysters, followed by crab cakes, espresso duck, cioppino, a glazed pork chop and steak. Dessert included the pumpkin cheesecake, vanilla ice cream (made in house), sherbet and a nice birthday surprise! Including the two bottles of wine we shared, the price was more than reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PYPYDined on 10/24/2014FOOD IS STILL THE BEST IN TOWN! Service was well-timed and friendly, wines were affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LynlovesfinediningDined on 10/19/2014Loved it. My dinner was delicious. Our waiter, James ,was very professional and personable. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Washington Inn has been one of my favorites over the years in Cape May. The food is very good & it has a wonderful atmosphere (ambiance). It is clean and the prices are competitive. The salmon was cooked perfectly and the flavors of the dish all blended well. Also you can use your Lucky Bones card there for points, which is fun !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for special occasionLDBKMD0923Dined on 10/18/2014Washinton Inn is one of those restaurants that are perfect for celebrating a birthday, anniversary, etc. The drinks are well worth the money you pay ($11 martini), the food was excellent and the service was great. Although very pricey, it's my husband's favorite restaurant and he is never disappointed. The only thing lacking though, was the ambiance (not very quiet or intimate). Next time we go there, I will request a table on one of the porches, it looked a little more cozy sitting there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Server - Incredible FOodchefgirl50Dined on 10/18/2014We used to go here when I was growing up and they dressed in period attire. So much has changed but the 2 things I remember most about the Washington Inn are still in place - great service and incredible food. Took my parents to celebrate my dad's 83rd birthday this weekend. Our server, James, was amazing and the food was beyond fabulous. It's refreshing to have such a wonderful experience and have a staff who really loves what they are doing (from the hostess to the servers to the valet parking attendants and everyone in between). Kudos to the owners, dedicated staff and chefs who do a spectacular job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous desserts!TurtleBayBritDined on 10/17/2014Very good food and a decent wine list but the stand out thing for us was the desserts. The best creme brûlée and chocolate mousse we have tasted in the USA (and we've tasted plenty!). These are two European desserts that the Americans consistently fail to get quite right but the Washington Inn nailed them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2 4 Food24FoodDined on 10/17/2014As usual the food was outstanding as was the service. Our seating was right on time and the staff made our anniversary celebration special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MenuThomasDined on 10/17/2014This was our first time dining at their restaurant. We drove 70 miles one way to check this place out. I had the grilled octopus for an appetizer and I never had octopus before. It was delicious served over some potatoes and a very special sauce. Very unique dish. The Duck Breast, again something I have never tried before was outstanding. Tender and very delicious. Nice job Chef Mimi. OH, and nice job to our server Kat.Special Features:
- luvcmVIPDined on 10/17/2014Been here many times over the years...just not the same. Disappointing
- ExcellentTools23Dined on 10/11/2014Went for dinner with my wife. We had the baby octopus special appetizer. It was really tender and delicious. For dinner she had the filet mignon which was cooked to perfection. I had the espresso rubbed duck breast which was also cooked to perfection. It came with a shiitake bread pudding with foie gras cream sauce and it was to die for. For desert we went with the special chocolate ganache mousse cake with house made coffee ice cream. It was remarkable. Overall it was a great dining experience in a great setting. We can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special event delighteagereaterDined on 10/11/2014Excellent food and service, fun and energetic ambiance, what's not to love? Swordfish especially noteworthy. They made a significant birthday even more special.Special Features:
- Consistently a crowd pleaserWWCGetawayVIPDined on 10/10/2014Beautiful reastaurant in a very quaint town. The food is exceptional every time we've been here. Service is prompt and very pleasant! And they've accommodated us regardless of party size. We like to come early for a cocktail at the bar and enjoy the very nice wine and drink options, then head in to dinner. This last visit we had the sea bass and the duck and were very pleased! This is a must try restaurant if you're visiting the Cape May area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally .... and greatGeezercoupleDined on 10/10/2014For years we have been trying to get to the Inn. Finally made it and it was great .... exceeded expectations.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/8/2014We have eaten at the Washington INN at least 10 times. The bar has a great atmosphere. The bartenders are cordial and very good at what they do. The restaurant's ambiance is absolutely magnificent. The waitress, Sonata, was very accommodating. However the food was fair at best. My wife's lamb chops were fatty and extremely tough. You would think for $40 the chops would be wonderful. My crab cakes were nothing to rave about. They were just good. We were very disappointed.Special Features:
- vacationRealtorMary17Dined on 10/8/2014The food was wonderful and our waitress/server was incredibly good. Unfortunately, she was taken over by the "busgirl" who wanted to rush you through your meal. HOWEVER, when brought to the attention of our server, it was addressed by her and the manager immediately. Both went out of their way to make things right and I would stand by any restaurant that takes that much pride in their service. well played!!Special Features:
- Washington InnFood4LifeDined on 10/4/2014My husband and I had a fabulous meal, great service, wonderful atmosphere. We will be back. One of my top picks for Cape May. It is must for dinner. I give it 4 and half stars. I'm sure it will be moving up to 5 stars on my second visit. Two visits are a must for a 5 star rating.Special Features:
- Cape May favoritebruceavalonDined on 10/4/2014My pick for my birthday dinner in Cape May and it always lives up to expectations. Food and service were great and you must have a drink at the bar before dinner if only to meet the bartenders. Still number one on my favorites list.Special Features:
- MickDined on 10/4/2014The food was outstanding with excellent specials. Drinks were also very good. Would not hesitate to recommend to anyone tho not good for anyone on a budget. A bit pricey but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!KittyDined on 10/2/2014Food was great! Server was knowledgeable and very friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wasted Night OUtOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/28/2014When the highlights of your dinner are the rolls, salad and Dessert, that is all you really need to know. Service was very bad and we needed to ask for water two times. For water. And after we were offered ground pepper for our salad and lobster bisque, it took nearly 5 minutes for the waiter to come back. Pork Chop was chewy and we felt underdone. Sea Bass was riddled with bones. Do yourself a favor, go to Tishas instead.
- Consistently Top NotchBobkDined on 9/28/2014Was there on a Sunday night. They were not as busy as usual and thsat made for a little more quiet than usual. Great service provided by Sean. The hostess and bartender were also very cordial and helpful. Had another fine meal and was highly satisfied.Special Features: