801 Washington Street
Cape May, NJ 08204Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.washingtoninn.com/
- Phone: 6098845697
- Hours of Operation:
We will be open Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays in May for dinner from 5pm. Starting on May 24th we will be open everyday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Miriam Wood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: The Washington Inn provides off-premise catering at whatever location you desire. We are expert at arranging details, creating just the right look, and, of course, offering your guests the highest quality food & attention available. Our catering staff will help you plan an outstanding event, customized to your needs and budget. The Inn caters early- afternoon wedding receptions for up to 125 people on premises. If your guest list is longer, we can help to arrange a reception at the Cape May Beach Club, the Isaac Smith Vineyard,Cape May Winery, your home or wherever you prefer.
- Private Party Facilities: Whether you are hosting a wedding, rehearsal dinner or a private business meeting, Cape May’s famed Washington Inn has rooms & menus to suit your every need. The former plantation home, circa 1840 offers the cozy Wine Cellar that holds up to 18, or the all-season patio that seats up to 40, or the garden room that accommodates 50, or the entire restaurant for daytime events or selected evening affairs. Your guests will enjoy the same great food and service that have earned The Washington Inn its must-dine reputation.
- Private Party Contact: Jennifer Rafferty 6098845697
- Special Events: Five for Friday in the Wine Bar. Every Friday evening we offer 5 great items for only $5. Choice of wine, Cocktail, Oysters, Sliders and Appetizers Join us on Fridays!
A word from Washington Inn
Built in 1840, this former Cape May plantation residence is now home to the acclaimed Washington Inn and Wine Bar. The Craig Family has carefully preserved the beauty & essence of this distinctive treasure without undertaking major alterations to its original form. The Inns welcoming facade overlooks tree-lined Washington Street in the seaside communitys Historic District. The Washington Inn offers six unique dining areas, from a summer patio to cozy fireside tables. Cocktails are a must in the Wine Bar, where the passing Cape May scene can be best appreciated. Often described as romantic, our easy-going elegance will satisfy anyones craving for fine dining. Our enticing menu offers the best of American cuisine, but with an inventive, upscale edge. Food, Service, Ambiance, the essential ingredients for dining excellence, are all deftly blended here at The Washington Inn. We are what "eating out" used to be -- before it became hurried, incorporated & unimaginativeContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Washington Inn - Best Restaurants in Cape May ›
Washington Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
398 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (289)romantic (236)fit for foodies (211)notable wine list (200)neighborhood gem (136)good for groups (56)vibrant bar scene (56)hot spot (31)late-night find (13)kid-friendly (11)scenic view (11)great for outdoor dining (10)great for brunch (8)great for lunch (6)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Washington Inn has been one of my favorites over the years in Cape May. The food is very good & it has a wonderful atmosphere (ambiance). It is clean and the prices are competitive. The salmon was cooked perfectly and the flavors of the dish all blended well. Also you can use your Lucky Bones card there for points, which is fun !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Server - Incredible FOodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We used to go here when I was growing up and they dressed in period attire. So much has changed but the 2 things I remember most about the Washington Inn are still in place - great service and incredible food. Took my parents to celebrate my dad's 83rd birthday this weekend. Our server, James, was amazing and the food was beyond fabulous. It's refreshing to have such a wonderful experience and have a staff who really loves what they are doing (from the hostess to the servers to the valet parking attendants and everyone in between). Kudos to the owners, dedicated staff and chefs who do a spectacular job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous desserts!TurtleBayBritDined on 10/17/2014Very good food and a decent wine list but the stand out thing for us was the desserts. The best creme brûlée and chocolate mousse we have tasted in the USA (and we've tasted plenty!). These are two European desserts that the Americans consistently fail to get quite right but the Washington Inn nailed them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2 4 FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014As usual the food was outstanding as was the service. Our seating was right on time and the staff made our anniversary celebration special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MenuThomasDined on 10/17/2014This was our first time dining at their restaurant. We drove 70 miles one way to check this place out. I had the grilled octopus for an appetizer and I never had octopus before. It was delicious served over some potatoes and a very special sauce. Very unique dish. The Duck Breast, again something I have never tried before was outstanding. Tender and very delicious. Nice job Chef Mimi. OH, and nice job to our server Kat.Special Features:
- luvcmVIPDined on 10/17/2014Been here many times over the years...just not the same. Disappointing
- ExcellentTools23Dined on 10/11/2014Went for dinner with my wife. We had the baby octopus special appetizer. It was really tender and delicious. For dinner she had the filet mignon which was cooked to perfection. I had the espresso rubbed duck breast which was also cooked to perfection. It came with a shiitake bread pudding with foie gras cream sauce and it was to die for. For desert we went with the special chocolate ganache mousse cake with house made coffee ice cream. It was remarkable. Overall it was a great dining experience in a great setting. We can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special event delighteagereaterDined on 10/11/2014Excellent food and service, fun and energetic ambiance, what's not to love? Swordfish especially noteworthy. They made a significant birthday even more special.Special Features:
- Consistently a crowd pleaserWWCGetawayVIPDined on 10/10/2014Beautiful reastaurant in a very quaint town. The food is exceptional every time we've been here. Service is prompt and very pleasant! And they've accommodated us regardless of party size. We like to come early for a cocktail at the bar and enjoy the very nice wine and drink options, then head in to dinner. This last visit we had the sea bass and the duck and were very pleased! This is a must try restaurant if you're visiting the Cape May area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally .... and greatGeezercoupleDined on 10/10/2014For years we have been trying to get to the Inn. Finally made it and it was great .... exceeded expectations.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/8/2014We have eaten at the Washington INN at least 10 times. The bar has a great atmosphere. The bartenders are cordial and very good at what they do. The restaurant's ambiance is absolutely magnificent. The waitress, Sonata, was very accommodating. However the food was fair at best. My wife's lamb chops were fatty and extremely tough. You would think for $40 the chops would be wonderful. My crab cakes were nothing to rave about. They were just good. We were very disappointed.Special Features:
- vacationRealtorMary17Dined on 10/8/2014The food was wonderful and our waitress/server was incredibly good. Unfortunately, she was taken over by the "busgirl" who wanted to rush you through your meal. HOWEVER, when brought to the attention of our server, it was addressed by her and the manager immediately. Both went out of their way to make things right and I would stand by any restaurant that takes that much pride in their service. well played!!Special Features:
- Washington InnFood4LifeDined on 10/4/2014My husband and I had a fabulous meal, great service, wonderful atmosphere. We will be back. One of my top picks for Cape May. It is must for dinner. I give it 4 and half stars. I'm sure it will be moving up to 5 stars on my second visit. Two visits are a must for a 5 star rating.Special Features:
- Cape May favoritebruceavalonDined on 10/4/2014My pick for my birthday dinner in Cape May and it always lives up to expectations. Food and service were great and you must have a drink at the bar before dinner if only to meet the bartenders. Still number one on my favorites list.Special Features:
- MickDined on 10/4/2014The food was outstanding with excellent specials. Drinks were also very good. Would not hesitate to recommend to anyone tho not good for anyone on a budget. A bit pricey but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!KittyDined on 10/2/2014Food was great! Server was knowledgeable and very friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wasted Night OUtOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/28/2014When the highlights of your dinner are the rolls, salad and Dessert, that is all you really need to know. Service was very bad and we needed to ask for water two times. For water. And after we were offered ground pepper for our salad and lobster bisque, it took nearly 5 minutes for the waiter to come back. Pork Chop was chewy and we felt underdone. Sea Bass was riddled with bones. Do yourself a favor, go to Tishas instead.
- Consistently Top NotchBobkDined on 9/28/2014Was there on a Sunday night. They were not as busy as usual and thsat made for a little more quiet than usual. Great service provided by Sean. The hostess and bartender were also very cordial and helpful. Had another fine meal and was highly satisfied.Special Features:
- ExcellentreneeVIPDined on 9/28/2014Arriving early on Sunday, we had our pick of tables and had a choice of ordering from the regular menu or the 'early bird' special menu, which included soup or salad, entrée and dessert. The wine list was extensive, I was told over 10,000 bottles! All the food was superbly prepared, and our waiter provided us outstanding service. My favorite was the scallop appetizer. We will definitely return. Eating in Cape May can be pricey, but for a fabulous meal you can't do any better.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Your restaurant was recommended to me by golf partner for our visit to Cape May. We were very pleased with the entire experience...delighted with porch table - surprised at the excellent service with full house. Food was also delicious - we will certainly come again next time in Cape May. Your Open Table software tops...Sally Anne Haulman, Yardley, PASpecial Features:
- Bad nightMikeVIPDined on 9/27/2014Love this restaurant, but had a bad server and my fish was over cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocrekkimber19VIPDined on 9/27/2014We have always appreciated celebrating good things at this restaurant. Unfortunately, we were disappointed and will not return. The food was cold, very cold. And very overpriced!
- Romantic DinnerToni1214Dined on 9/26/2014It was our 27th wedding anniversary. We had filet and the special lobster tail and the kitchen split them up for us to share. It was perfect! Our waiter was very attentive and surprised us with a complimentary dessert for our anniversary. Great food and nice, romantic atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special ExperiencePursueExcellenceDined on 9/26/2014A wonderful experience! Greeted by hostess with "Happy Anniversary. The ambience of the Inn was quaint & relaxing. The food (my wife's steak & my swordfish) was perfectly prepared & nicely presented. The wine list is excellent as was the port. Our shared Lava cake was presented on a white plate with Happy Anniversary written in chocolate around the plate edge. Our waiter and service were also excellent including the visit to the wine cellar. Being in the restaurant business myself I was curious what made the Washington Inn so special. Our waiter enthusiastically shared the involvement the owner & chef have with the day today business and the special interest they take in the development of their staff. Outstanding evening in all respects!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific anniversary celebrationfrenchfoodloverDined on 9/26/2014Valet parking got us off to a relaxed start; it's needed in Cape May, where parking is at a premium. We were welcomed and seated promptly, our waiter was very attentive, and the food was excellent. Often older restaurants are a bit stodgy menu-wise but this wasn't the case here. The swordfish Sicilian style with calamari was terrific, and the hazelnuts and creamed parsnips with the salmon were equally good and imaginative. We'd definitely come here again. The noise level went up as the evening progressed but this is probably inevitable in a place so popular.Special Features:
- AWESOME NIGHTlEHfriendDined on 9/26/2014This was our first time at your restaurant . The food was delicious and the service was great. It was my wife's birthday. We loved the extra touch of Happy Birthday written in chocolate on the dessert plate. We loved the wine and had a great time. We will be back . Thanks!!Special Features:
- Wait timeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/25/2014Despite selecting a particular reservation time out of several 15 time slots avaialable , there was little relationship to actual seating time. In this case, reservations were made for 7:30 PM and actual seating did not happen till 8:50 ( after reminding the host of our presence at the overcrowded bar area). Actual order was not taken till 8:15. Rather disappointing to have the meal about an hour after the reservation time. Both the meal and service at table were excellent.Special Features:
- Washington Inn the best in Cape MayNJShoreDined on 9/24/2014Not your standard beach venue; very much upscale, white table cloth restaurant with prices to match. But worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yearly Anniversary CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/21/2014For our annual trip from North Jersey to Cape May we have been celebrating our anniversary at the Washington Inn every year in for the past 4 years. We have never been disappointed. From the atmosphere to the personal attention to detail the Inn is top notch. The wait staff is the best bar none. We hope to be celebrating at the Washington Inn in Cape May for many years to come.Special Features:
- Not the SameOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2014Each year that we venture to Cape May we look for different restaurants to try. We've dined at the Washington Inn a few times now and it seems as though it's not the same. This time the dinners were mediocre at best. The duck was dry and tough and the Oysters Rockefeller left a lot to be desired. Also, surprised there was only one Pinot Grigio on the wine list. I think if we were ever to go back to this restaurant, we would probably go the bar for only a glass of wine and an appetizer.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsjeff08204Dined on 9/21/2014We held our wedding reception brunch at the Washington Inn in 2001, and we return for our anniversary each year. The food and service are always outstanding, the atmosphere is quiet and inviting. And of course, the chocolate tower dessert is worth the trip all by itself! Not many restaurants are a sure thing - the Washington Inn is!Special Features:
- Outstanding!!!!!NWWSummerFunDined on 9/21/2014Great food and our waiter, Jimmie, was awesome. They also had a nice wine list to choose from. It was our anniversary dinner and couldn't have been any better. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding.....murrVIPDined on 9/20/2014After all the years in business, The Washington Inn continues to serve an eclectic menu of outstanding dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still OutstandingVTDanDined on 9/20/2014This was our first time back in a few years and it is still one of the best restaurants in Cape May. My wife had the lobster and shrimp bisque and crab cakes, while I had the Boston and Frisée salad (frisée was sadly absent) and the espresso rubbed duck breast. The food was outstanding, our waiter friendly and attentive, and it was a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food and service!PlanbmarDined on 9/19/2014Took a friend out for birthday. Had a perfect table away from people. The ambience was so romantic. Phenominal food and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary DinnerKimberlyDined on 9/19/2014We celebrated our anniversary dinner here this weekend and the staff was very friendly and accommodating, wished us well, the food was terrific and they even brought our dessert with a candle and "Happy Anniversary" written in chocolate on our plate which was a nice touch. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal!CapeMayGetawayDined on 9/19/2014Staff very friendly, had our table waiting when we arrived. The entire staff made you feel right at home. The food was absolutely outstanding! Thank you for making our dining experience a very good one!!!Special Features:
- 5 StarsJamesDined on 9/18/2014I have recommended this restaurant to more people than any other. The dinner menu, wine list and service are 5 stars every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in Cape May by farPaulDined on 9/18/2014Fabulous menu. Every course a special treat. Would return time and time again. Will sing its praises to many people. Will be first recommended restaurant for historic Cape May for us. Staff highly professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It All WorksCharleyDined on 9/17/2014Four of us had a highly pleasurable dining experience at the Washington Inn. It wasn't just the food--my black sea bass was excellent--that shone. Add professional service, a comfortable, handsome setting and ease of conversation in a very busy eatery, and you have pretty much all you can ask from a restaurant. Even the noise from a table of ten or so nearby seemed muted. If only more restaurants, especially newer ones, paid attention to the noise level, dining satisfaction at them would be improved. The Washington Inn provides the goods.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.