801 Washington Street
Cape May, NJ 08204Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.washingtoninn.com/
- Phone: 6098845697
- Hours of Operation:
We will be open Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays in May for dinner from 5pm. Starting on May 24th we will be open everyday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Miriam Wood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: The Washington Inn provides off-premise catering at whatever location you desire. We are expert at arranging details, creating just the right look, and, of course, offering your guests the highest quality food & attention available. Our catering staff will help you plan an outstanding event, customized to your needs and budget. The Inn caters early- afternoon wedding receptions for up to 125 people on premises. If your guest list is longer, we can help to arrange a reception at the Cape May Beach Club, the Isaac Smith Vineyard,Cape May Winery, your home or wherever you prefer.
- Private Party Facilities: Whether you are hosting a wedding, rehearsal dinner or a private business meeting, Cape May’s famed Washington Inn has rooms & menus to suit your every need. The former plantation home, circa 1840 offers the cozy Wine Cellar that holds up to 18, or the all-season patio that seats up to 40, or the garden room that accommodates 50, or the entire restaurant for daytime events or selected evening affairs. Your guests will enjoy the same great food and service that have earned The Washington Inn its must-dine reputation.
- Private Party Contact: Jennifer Rafferty 6098845697
- Special Events: Five for Friday in the Wine Bar. Every Friday evening we offer 5 great items for only $5. Choice of wine, Cocktail, Oysters, Sliders and Appetizers Join us on Fridays!
A word from Washington Inn
Built in 1840, this former Cape May plantation residence is now home to the acclaimed Washington Inn and Wine Bar. The Craig Family has carefully preserved the beauty & essence of this distinctive treasure without undertaking major alterations to its original form. The Inns welcoming facade overlooks tree-lined Washington Street in the seaside communitys Historic District. The Washington Inn offers six unique dining areas, from a summer patio to cozy fireside tables. Cocktails are a must in the Wine Bar, where the passing Cape May scene can be best appreciated. Often described as romantic, our easy-going elegance will satisfy anyones craving for fine dining. Our enticing menu offers the best of American cuisine, but with an inventive, upscale edge. Food, Service, Ambiance, the essential ingredients for dining excellence, are all deftly blended here at The Washington Inn. We are what "eating out" used to be -- before it became hurried, incorporated & unimaginativeContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Washington Inn - Best Restaurants in Cape May ›
Washington Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
410 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (301)romantic (248)fit for foodies (207)notable wine list (205)neighborhood gem (136)good for groups (56)vibrant bar scene (54)hot spot (31)scenic view (15)kid-friendly (13)great for brunch (10)great for lunch (9)great for outdoor dining (8)late-night find (8)Show More
- Yearly Anniversary CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/21/2014For our annual trip from North Jersey to Cape May we have been celebrating our anniversary at the Washington Inn every year in for the past 4 years. We have never been disappointed. From the atmosphere to the personal attention to detail the Inn is top notch. The wait staff is the best bar none. We hope to be celebrating at the Washington Inn in Cape May for many years to come.Special Features:
- Never disappointsjeff08204Dined on 9/21/2014We held our wedding reception brunch at the Washington Inn in 2001, and we return for our anniversary each year. The food and service are always outstanding, the atmosphere is quiet and inviting. And of course, the chocolate tower dessert is worth the trip all by itself! Not many restaurants are a sure thing - the Washington Inn is!Special Features:
- outstanding.....murrVIPDined on 9/20/2014After all the years in business, The Washington Inn continues to serve an eclectic menu of outstanding dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/20/2014This was our first time back in a few years and it is still one of the best restaurants in Cape May. My wife had the lobster and shrimp bisque and crab cakes, while I had the Boston and Frisée salad (frisée was sadly absent) and the espresso rubbed duck breast. The food was outstanding, our waiter friendly and attentive, and it was a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food and service!PlanbmarDined on 9/19/2014Took a friend out for birthday. Had a perfect table away from people. The ambience was so romantic. Phenominal food and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary DinnerKimberlyDined on 9/19/2014We celebrated our anniversary dinner here this weekend and the staff was very friendly and accommodating, wished us well, the food was terrific and they even brought our dessert with a candle and "Happy Anniversary" written in chocolate on our plate which was a nice touch. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal!CapeMayGetawayDined on 9/19/2014Staff very friendly, had our table waiting when we arrived. The entire staff made you feel right at home. The food was absolutely outstanding! Thank you for making our dining experience a very good one!!!Special Features:
- 5 StarsJamesDined on 9/18/2014I have recommended this restaurant to more people than any other. The dinner menu, wine list and service are 5 stars every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in Cape May by farPaulDined on 9/18/2014Fabulous menu. Every course a special treat. Would return time and time again. Will sing its praises to many people. Will be first recommended restaurant for historic Cape May for us. Staff highly professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It All WorksCharleyDined on 9/17/2014Four of us had a highly pleasurable dining experience at the Washington Inn. It wasn't just the food--my black sea bass was excellent--that shone. Add professional service, a comfortable, handsome setting and ease of conversation in a very busy eatery, and you have pretty much all you can ask from a restaurant. Even the noise from a table of ten or so nearby seemed muted. If only more restaurants, especially newer ones, paid attention to the noise level, dining satisfaction at them would be improved. The Washington Inn provides the goods.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous dinner with great service!CoolCustomerDined on 9/17/2014The food was amazing. Our waiter, James, was wonderful as were all of the other wait-staff that we observed. Everyone was professional, well-mannered, and amazingly attentive. We had a wonderful dinner.Special Features:
- Great food, but sometimes annoyingDSLandCJLVIPDined on 9/14/2014The Washington Inn has absolutely the best food. Two annoying features keep this from being a near perfect experience. First, regardless of when you arrive, you can never be seated and are always asked to "have a drink" while you wait. You are always to tell that there are available tables and the hostess appears shocked that you would want to eat in the bar (which is quite lovely and has a downscale menu in addition to the regular menu) as you will not have a fine dining experience. Second, the wine list pricing is outrageous. The new tablet menu is impossible to navigate and more moderately priced wines are hidden. Further more moderately priced wines are often sold out and the recommendation is to go to a far more expensive wine.Special Features:
- not romantic at allloriVIPDined on 9/13/2014I looked forward to dining in this restaurant, as I had been here many years before and it was very romantic however things have changed they seem to overbook and I found it to be very crowded ,loud with poor service also we had to wait even though we had A reservation
- LOVE THE WINE FLIGHTS!SummerLocalDined on 9/13/2014We had dinner here Saturday night. Started off in the bar for a wine flight and appetizer. Great wine, great food, great service at the bar. When it came time for our dinner reservation there was so much confusion about seating. When we made our reservation a few weeks ago we requested that we not be seated in a certain area because of the sound level. They couldn't accommodate us and put us back at the exact same table we were seated at before. The food was excellent, the server was excellent but for fine dining this is a very loud restaurant! We really enjoy a nice peaceful atmosphere when dining out but just can't seem to get it here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth it!beccaVIPDined on 9/13/2014very good food, a bit pricey, but the food and service are worth the price.Special Features:
- Lovely culinary experienceLyns2Dined on 9/13/2014The Washington Inn is a great special occasion destination. We were there for our 25th wedding anniversary. Food is pricey, but very good. Ambiance is formal, however, we were dressed casually having been out and about most of the day and it was not an issue. One thing I will say is that the acoustics in the restaurant are such that voices and loud laughter carry. We had to move our chairs closer together to even be able to hear one another. I would have much preferred a more intimate setting, but it was still a very nice evening.Special Features:
- great diningbajaDined on 9/13/2014if you are looking for a fine place to eat in cape may and looking for the best place to eat than this is the place. great food and service and great drinks are number one here. our waiter tina was the best.Special Features:
- first time and impressedmonkeypieDined on 9/12/2014This was our first time dining at the Washington Inn and we were impressed. It has been recommended to us by many people and we were pleased to find that it lived up to their praise. We enjoyed the amuse bouche they provided (a seared scallop on risotto) and their bread (and very fresh cream butter) were fantastic. This should be a given, of course, but we have found that good bread is not always guaranteed. The entrees were fantastic: a filet mignon and also black sea bass that was prepared in a vaguely Asian fusion style. The fish was fresh, cooked perfectly and the accompaniments were perfectly complimentary to the fish. The food was hot, fresh and delicious. The service was fantastic. The wine list was extensive and reasonable.Special Features:
- Dining experiencecoz74Dined on 9/12/2014Loved it! Always great and beautifully prepared with great flavorsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent !!!winendineDined on 9/11/2014My favorite in Cape May. This restaurant never disappoints. We have been dining at the Washington Inn once or twice a year for the last ten years, It's always good.Special Features:
- Dinner with great friendsab230Dined on 9/11/2014We had not been to to the Washington Inn in a few years and we were not disappointed with our return. The food was excellent and the service was super. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Perfect Dining!ben97alana00VIPDined on 9/11/2014Everything about the Washington Inn is perfect. The food is outstanding. The service is exceptional and definitely 5 star and the ambiance is lovely. We arrived a little before reservation time and an early bird menu was offered. Excellent choices which also included dessert at a very reasonable price. The Inn is a restaurant you should absolutely not miss while in Cape May.Special Features:
- RomanticOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/11/2014This restaurant is perfect for an adult date night. The menu is somewhat limited, but the choices make up for that. The service is excellent and the atmosphere is relaxing. Prices are a bit high, but well worth the food.Special Features:
- Our favorite Cape May restaurantartladyDined on 9/10/2014We had out-of-town friends, first-time visitors to CM, and knew that the best overall dining experience is the Washington Inn. We were seated in the porch area, a lovely setting. Wait staff was very pleasant and attentive. All four dinners were delicious; one guest commented that his dinner (swordfish) was better than anything he'd had in Florida. My entree, cioppino, was excellent. Considering the quality, we thought the prices were a good value. All in all, a most enjoyable evening. Although we're not here in the winter, I believe the restaurant is open at least on weekends most of the year. For visitors staying in Cape May for a weekend, it would be on my list for a memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Fine Dining in Cape MaysjgkmgVIPDined on 9/9/2014This was our second time dining at the Washington Inn and it is still the best fine dining restaurant in Cape May. As an appetizer we shared the panzanella salad that was made with the freshest jersey tomatoes. My husband enjoyed the seafood cioppino which was plentiful for a seafood lover. I ordered the branzino special that was so moist and flavorful. If you want excellent service and delicious food this is the restaurant to visit. They also have an exceptional wine list to choose from.Special Features:
- Love to dine .PhyllisDined on 9/9/2014Amazing food , wonderful service, Godfrey made our special anniversary of 53 years enjoyable evening, we had a great time some years ago, For our anniversary #?? , at our age tough to remember what year , but didn't forget how we enjoyed dinner .Would recommend to go there again or anyone we know for a special outing .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious dinnerSusanDined on 9/8/2014There were six in our party and we had a corner round table We had a very nice time. Everyone enjoyed their dinner The service was excellent. It was our 30th wedding anniversary and we celebrated with friends. When my husband and I received our dessert, the both dishes had Happy Anniversary written on the dish in chocolate sauce. It was so nice. We definitely recommend the Washington Inn Restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BA1215BA1215Dined on 9/5/2014I was down for the weekend with a girl friend and she had never been to the Washington Inn before. She told me she was so glad I brought her there. We had a fabulous meal and the server was outstanding. Really help us with making our choices. No one rushed us and we could sit and talk. The side porch is my favorite place to sit. Our dinner was outstanding and so was the service. Every time I come to Cape May I make sure to have dinner at the Washington Inn. Now my friend says she will also come back when she comes to Cape May.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatCatfish52Dined on 9/3/2014We have been going to the Washington Inn for years and are never disappointed. Everything from the drinks to the bread and the food and desserts are wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night!AteamMomDined on 9/3/2014My husband and I wanted a special dinner during our vacation in Wildwood Crest, and the Washington Inn was the perfect choice. The setting in the garden room of this Victorian home was relaxing and beautiful. I had their famous crab cakes and my husband had the branzini special, both dishes were outstanding, and the service was excellent. A must stop for anyone visiting Cape May.Special Features:
- Dinner at Washington InnFloridaviistorsDined on 9/3/2014Overall my wife and I had an enjoyable dinner. We both had medium rare filet mignon as our entrees. The meat was tender but not as flavorful as we would have liked. The service was excellent and timely.
- We recommend dinner here!lovegoodfoodDined on 9/2/2014We enjoyed a very good meal, and look forward to returning some time. All dishes were very good, and the highlights of the meal were the Braised Lamb & Cavatelli appetizer, and the Cioppino entree - both were rich and flavorful and true delights. We strongly recommend them. Service was also attentive and responsive. This was an enjoyable dining experience!Special Features:
- Too Loud - Not RomanticOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/2/2014Couples looking for a romantic evening should be seated in a separate room my from loud couples that are intoxicated and using vulgar language. We paid $170 for dinner, which was good, but was frustrated with the swearing and noise coming from a group of four that were seated in the same room. This woukd not be tolerated at Peter Sheilds. Very disappointed.Special Features:
- A DisappointmentBillVIPDined on 9/2/2014Whenever i visit Cape May, I try to have dinner at least once at the Washington Inn. The last two visits(during the past year) were disappointing. The Hendricks and tonic I ordered tasted as if there was barely any gin to it. One of the "specials" was a South African lobster tail that was priced at $90.00. I ordered the filet mignon, which was uninspired. The service was great however, but at these prices the food should be great as well. I thought I would try again on this last visit to see if there was any improvement, but alas there was none. I"ll be striking this one of the list.
- Must try in Cape MayKateDined on 8/31/2014Cozy bar area to have a drink before dinner. Food, atmosphere and service were excellent. Great attention to detail.Special Features:
- Nice but not a top NJ restaurantSeagullDined on 8/31/2014I expected a lot more based on this restaurant's past reputation. The service was very good and the setting was romantic but the food was just good (nothing special) and the menu was basic. The bar was nice and the wine was excellent.Special Features:
- Consistent FavoriteFillyFoodieVIPDined on 8/31/2014Always make a point of dining here on visits to Cape May. The food and service are always terrifice. Nice range of menu choices and specials that are outstanding and seasonal. Tip: Share appetizers and desserts, portions are very generous!Special Features:
- MiloDined on 8/30/2014Our Anniversary dinner was just perfect. They brought us out dessert on a plate which had happy anniversary written on the plate. The server Chris was excellent. The food was exquisite. We were very very happy and will be going next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodNevizDined on 8/30/2014Best meal in many months. Seafood perfect. Finely prepared and served. Only critique is a weak/disapointing dessert offering not up to food standards. Also would benefit from better designed entry/host area and more sociable/welcoming host staff. Need real polishing on that weak pointSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two out of threericki100Dined on 8/30/2014Appetizer and dinner were really wonderful. Service was wonderful also especially for a holiday weekend. Wine and alcohol pricing was high and portions were low. The disappointment however was the most touted local peach dessert which was no more than buttery sweet breadcrumbs and a hint of peaches. Cappuccino was also a bit disappointing. If not for poor dessert and the high booze prices I would've given the restaurant 4 or 5 starsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.