3-1360 Taylor Ave
Winnipeg, MB R3M 3Z1Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.wasabigroup.com/
- Phone: (204) 415-7878
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 5:00pm.
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Wasabisabi
Every day, our chefs create innovative and tasty dishes designed to make your mouth water and inspire you to try something new. Our use of the very freshest ingredients from all corners of the world is a part of our dedication to offering you a unique experience every time you visit us. We consider sushi to be an art form, encompassing a delicate balance of elements; and, like all great art, each dish is created to order and presented with the attention to detail that we have become well-known for. Great food cannot be rushed. We think of the extra time we take to create your meal as an opportunity for you to relax and savour every aspect of your experience with us. Welcome to Wasabi. You are in good hands.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Wasabisabi - Best Restaurants in Winnipeg ›
Wasabisabi reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (27)special occasion (27)good for groups (14)hot spot (13)neighborhood gem (12)romantic (12)great for lunch (8)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (3)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great food and staffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Second time at this restaurant, we had a great time. Great food, even for pregnant women who like sushi - vegetarian or with cooked seafood -. Might look a little expensive but worth it for the quality. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wasabisabi on fireHighqualityhighpriceDined on 11/19/2014I found Wasabisabi to be a beautiful little place with a lot of attention to minor details that helped improve my experience before I even tasted the food. Once I did I was pleasantly surprised. The sushi is delicious but the appetizers were my favourite part of the night. The strongest deterrent to going back would be the high price of my meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall great experienceluv2eatDined on 11/15/2014We took 2 friends with us that have never tried sushi before and they enjoyed the food and the overall experience.Special Features:
- OUT FOR DINNERenjoydinnerDined on 11/14/2014This is by far our favourite place to eat sushi! The food is always amazing and you can order anything on the menu and not be disappointed! We have eaten sushi in Vancouver and Hawaii and it has paled in comparison.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday DinnerprairiegirlDined on 11/1/2014The staff and the ambiance were welcoming. When we asked our server about items she recommended, she included favourites of patrons and included her own preferences. We appreciated her input. The food was phenomenal! Everything we had was delicious. We have every intent of going back for the honey plum tuna, spicy mango prawns, new style and mahalo rolls. Yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatwsjsDined on 10/26/2014Visit Wasabi sabi as much as I can, and never fails to impress. Food, staff and atmosphere are always excellent. Keeps us coming back for special occasions!Special Features:
- best sushi in WinnipegMellybeeDined on 10/26/2014Great variety of sushi rolls to satisfy everyone in our family...including those who are vegan or gluten-intolerant. Lovely presentation - the rolls were culinary works of art. The Wind Water Man sake was wonderful and smooth tasting.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/18/2014Fantastic as always! Sashimi is fresh and creative, unique flavors. Rolls are perfectly proportioned with rice, fish and so fresh! Delicious hand crafted cocktails. Excellent sized dishes great for sharing. Wasabi sabi is always our favorite and never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/11/2014Have been several times before and always look forward to the Butterfish. This time however it was not very good at all. The presentation has changed and it was waaaayyyy too salty!!! We were seated in the "silver" room which had no ambiance at all. It's lit up bright like a diner - no soft lighting at all and is separated from the main restaurant. Rolls were just OK - nothing spectacular. Might be a while before we go back.
- Impressed againdasamaDined on 10/10/2014Love this place! Some of the best sushi I've had in Winnipeg. I enjoy the atmosphere and the staff are great Some of the tables feel very private, it's a great lay out to the restaurant. Also love that I can book the reservation online.Special Features:
- Yummy!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/7/2014Love the food so fresh so beautiful to look at and yummy !the waiter was very knowledgeable which helped us to pick the right amount of food with lots of variety.Special Features:
- Mother/Daughter date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014My 7 year old and I had a wonderful date night at Wasabi. The server was very friendly. Our favourite is sitting at the Sushi Bar so we can watch the chefs create their dishes. Made for a special night out.Special Features:
- The best sushi in WinnipegGraemeVIPDined on 9/11/2014maybe Canada. AMAZING. Cant wait to go back. I wish I could make this a once a week habit to eat at Wasbi. I have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- They were closed!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014We showed up for our reservation and the restaurant was closed. We tried calling and there was no answer. Would definitely not recommend this place, nor book another reservation! This was supposed to be our lunch stop during my sister's bachelorette!
- Always delivers.TranDined on 9/5/2014I have high expectations for my sushi as we are lucky enough to have a lot of places in our city to choose from, but I am always happy with Wasabi. Never fails to deliver. Always fresh. Always creative. Always delicious. Definitely more modern take on sushi. If you feel like traditional though, I'd say it can keep up but there are other places that are a little better for that -- just because Wasabi is so good at the modern take. If you have a chance, try at least once to do bar seating by the kitchen; spark conversation with the chefs and watch them work diligently at creating each plate.Special Features:
- Spectacular mealOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014Fantastic sushi and incredible appetizers. Best meal we've had in a long time. Celiac-friendly options are terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome for VegetariansvegedinerDined on 8/28/2014My husband and I are both vegetarians. Wasabi was a treat for us where we didn't just get the usual sushis. They were creative and delicious. I highly recommend Wasabi.Special Features:
- More than sushi, more than good!0nawhimDined on 8/15/2014Pay attention: this is not another all-u-can-eat mediocre sushi joint. This is a pay-more, get-a-whole-lot-more, top notch quality restaurant. I love that their menu includes both traditional sushi (which is perfectly fresh, and boasts an impressive selection), as well as "new style" dishes that are creative, delicious, and gorgeously presented. And a nice side-benefit of this adventuresome menu is: they actually offer stunning desserts as well. None of this "green tea ice cream" nonsense; they offer a ginger creme brule that is out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 82 reviews are from the Wasabisabi reviews archive.
- great sushie/server suckedsushiesupperDined on 7/26/2014great food, but service was a little stand offish and was not at all wanting to engage us. also was a little surprized that there is no wine by the litre and had to order buy the bottle got a little pricey as we ordered 3 for our group of six.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodManitobaDined on 7/4/2014Enjoyed the evening as a repeat customer as the food is delicious .Special Features:
- Great sushimmloDined on 6/21/2014Party of six. Friendly helpful staff. Comfortable atmosphere, had table upstairs where we could watch sushi chefs at work. All 10 dishes ordered were great, especially the "Bob Marley" Will be back! It was a great sushi dining experience for group to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:
- Food was great, service alrightthatlovelyguyDined on 6/10/2014The food was delicious and I would definitely go back for that but the service could have been a little quicker. The server asked if we needed more time in which we politely said a couple more minutes, but he did not come back till about 15 minutes later. The server was nice and all but wasn't as quick as I would like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, service not so muchHmbnicholsonDined on 5/29/2014A power failure took out the lights & air conditioning moments after we were seated. We dined by candlelight & they cook with gas so the meal was unaffected. Food was quite good, if a tad difficult to see. However, once our order was taken, we never saw the server again - until it was time to deliver the bill. No one offered a second drink or refilled our water, except for delivery of food, we were ignored & has to flag down someone to ask for another drink & some wasabi & ginger to accompany our food. When the server made her reappearance with the bill, it was to inform us that they were closing the kitchen. The food was still quite good, but it was really lousy service considering the bill was over $100 for just two people!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great 3rd Location!DKSmoothDined on 5/24/2014Wasabi on Broadway has always been one of the (if not THE) best sushi restaurants in the city - and Wasabisabi's menu is just as good, in a more casual atmosphere. The sushi was top notch, there are some cool new "fusion" dishes - and the service was polite and friendly as usual. We'll definitely be back. Highly recommended! A+Special Features:
- Great ExperiencePegmannDined on 5/11/2014This was our first time at sushi restaurant. Our server was very helpful explaining the menu options to us. We ordered and shared an appetizer and ordered three main dishes. This was a good amount for the two of us. We were seated in the back room and were the only ones there when we first arrived. But as it filled up it got quite noisy. The main area may have been a little quieter since it has the higher ceiling. We would definitely go back since food and price was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2014We are never disappointed with the excellent quality and variety of the sushi.....distinctly tasty and artfully beautiful...always a treat to the palate and the eye. Ambience is comfortable and fun; place is buzzing with activity and service is friendly and knowledgable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keeps on deliveringtheclevercoupleDined on 4/23/2014Again, Wasabisabi delivers great food and service. The sushi is fresh, fresh, fresh and the menu continues to delight us with its changing items that are always tasty and beautiful to the eye. Our only reservation ever is the cost; we go on special occasions as the Sake prices (while delicious) are super pricey and when coupled with food it is difficult to leave without a $200 tab for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Favorite!wsjsDined on 4/18/2014Have dined here several times, always impressed with the quality and presentation of the dishes. Usually service is excellent especially during busy times, however this most recent visit the service was just was I would consider fair, at best. Otherwise the food was great as usual. Will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi at it's best!SushiloverDined on 3/29/2014The food and service never disappoint. This is definitely the best sushi dining in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- who serves wine in a plastic bottleFoodluver69Dined on 3/27/2014My girlfriend and I went there the other night food was good. But ordered wine and it came in a plastic bottle. I mean really? Who serves wine in plastic bottle I paid $38 for a bottle wine and it came in a plastic bottle and is wasn't very good. Don't order the crappy plastic bottle wine. Bad
- Excellent Service and FoodholiDined on 3/24/2014We have enjoyed our dinners and the time together each time i have come here with family and/or friends. The food was very good and the service was excellent this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite sushi restaurantpcarnDined on 3/15/2014Pro's: - Innovative dishes - Grilled sable fish was stellar - Friendly service Con's - Has to be the most expensive sushi in Winnipeg - If you're going to charge top dollar, make sure that your menus aren't falling apart. That might be expected in a lesser restaurant, but it reflects poorly on a better restaurant. - The special roll of the night was delicious but exceptionally expensive, and it fell apart as we ate it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noisy, inattentive, mediocrecdagoldengirlDined on 2/21/2014The atmosphere was incredibly noisy to the point we couldn't even have a conversation at our table. The service was by far the worst I have ever had at Wasabi, server was barely there and was quite inattentive. As for food, it left me disappointed for the price considering I have been many times before. The food was inconsistent I quality in comparison to past visits. I waited 20 minutes for my mango prawns while the rest of my table was eating their maki rolls. When they came, the server just said sorry and didn't even attempt to discount our bill. We won't be back.
- Over priced and had to waitMattDined on 2/14/2014Over priced and had to wait to long with a reservatio .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, High QualityBrendanDined on 2/14/2014Food was excellent, great atmosphere as well. If you like sushi, this is the place to be.Special Features:
- Fantastic!dasamaDined on 1/25/2014Went with a group of friends for birthdays, it was fantastic! We had our own little corner to ourselves, very private in a busy restaurant. Food was outstandingly great! Our server was knowledgeable and very friendly, great recommendations. We really enjoyed the special, the Bob Marley.Special Features:
- The food and atmosphere areDineOut7Dined on 1/10/2014The food and atmosphere are wonderful. We went on a busy night and our food took far too long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiter was very knowledgableJanetLDined on 1/3/2014Waiter was very knowledgable about gluten free options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always amazingJessicaDined on 12/31/2013Wasabi sabi never let's you down. The food is spectacular, the service is good, this has got to be in my top 3 for restaurants ANYWHERE. Hats off to the owner and staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- presentation of the food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/26/2013presentation of the food was nice but was extremely over-priced. A 10 dollar roll there is 5.5o any where else.