Wasabi of Summerville
202 Berkeley Circle
Summerville, SC 29483Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Wasabi of Summerville
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://wasabiofsummerville.com/
- Phone: 8438219292x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:30am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Steakhouse, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
A word from Wasabi of Summerville
Consistently voted "Best Sushi" and "Best Japanese" by Charleston City Paper and "Best Asian" and "Best Sushi" by Summerville Journal. Sushi, Steaks, and a time of your life. Wasabi offers the best Japanese dining experience in the heart of the historic Summerville, SC. Our Teppan “Hibachi” dining room features teppan grills at which our masterful chef cooks and performs for the entire table. The chef’s skills are in display while you enjoy the best Japanese food in town. We maintain close relationships with local farmers and purchase the freshest seafood available. Welcome to Wasabi. We look forward to serve you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Wasabi of Summerville - Best Restaurants in Summerville ›
Wasabi of Summerville reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (14)special occasion (12)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (5)fit for foodies (3)neighborhood gem (2)romantic (1)vibrant bar scene (1)hot spot (1)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Our wait was very long.AnniversaryDined on 8/30/2014The manager gave our table a discount, which made the long wait a more bearable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor reservation serviceDeTomDined on 8/23/2014Although we made reservations through open table, it took over one hour to get seated. Poorly managed around the bar which made it very difficult to get a drink while waiting. Once seated it was a fine experience. If the reservation service was better, we would go back....Special Features:
- August BirthdaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Grandson, now 13; Grandpa now 74; Grandson, now 13, Daughter-in-law, now 43, and Grandma, now 68 all had a terrific birthday celebration at Wasabi's. The food was very very good and the atmosphere is perfect for family fun. We plan to do this again soon.Special Features:
- Not impressedluvieDined on 8/2/2014The parking was horrible. I had to park across the street in the grass. In comparison to other Japanese restaurants in the area this would be the last on my list. Made a reservation the day before and still waited about an hour. The taste of the food was subpar. I ordered the Shrimp tempura which cost 7.25 and only received 3 shrimp. Another person in my party also ordered the shrimp tempura and they did not receive their until at least 10-15 mins after I received mine. They chef did not have enough food and had to request the server and bus boy to bring him more. Once he just went to the back and retrieved more food himself. My bill was wrong once I received it. All in all just a really bad experience. I will not be returning.
- Great food-be ready for "Sake Time"mammacheeseDined on 7/23/2014The food is terrific. The service was decent. The noise is crazy! But it was a fun evening for my son and me. We loved the Crab/Cheese Rangoons- they were fantastic. We ate at the grill side and it was very good. The 2 complaints I might have is- we sat with a group of 6 that were already seated and it seemed like the entire meal, they got all of the servers attention. I sat with an empty tea glass for over 10 minutes. He seemed to address them about everything and not even really look in our direction. The other complaint- the "sake time" song and loudness was funny at first, but by toast 28 we were kinda over it. Could not even hear to talk, sitting side by side. And for kids, not sure sending the right message, in a family type place.Special Features:
- Sons 17th BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/6/2014We took my son and a few of his friends here for his birthday day dinner the food was really good I had sushi and they all had Hibachi. In regards to the food is they use Dark Meat chicken (my wife doesn;t like) so she always get the filet and besides how could you go wrong with Bacon Fried Rice. After reading some of the other reviews we were concerned since this wasn't an actual reservation for 4:30. We got there @ 4 just to be safe and were seated within 5 minutes. Our server was ok but like others said they disappear I think we only saw him 3-4 times the whole time. As for the cook he just ok and wasn't very entertaining like other times we have been there or other places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeauOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014Had reservations and still had to wait for an hour to be seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wait timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014The only complaint would be our wait time to be served. Our reservation was an hour behind schedule.Special Features:
- awesome rest.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014This was my 3rd time to Wasabis and it was and is an awesome place to dine and I will be back again soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 38 reviews are from the Wasabi of Summerville reviews archive.
- Wasabi does not take reservations!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/18/2014I made a reservation through Open Table for 630PM. When I arrived at 620PM, the hostess proceeded to move my name from the computer to their wait list. She said, "Since you reserved online, you don't know we have a 30 minute wait." Reserving online did nothing but let them know we were coming. Ridiculous! That's not a reservation. We received a table at 40 mins later at 7PM. We didn't see a waitress until 10mins later. We didn't see a chef until 750PM. So, 1 hour 20 mins after our reservation is when food prep was started.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and fun!kamsDined on 5/18/2014We had two birthdays at our table in our party of 7. The food was excellent. Our chef was not nearly as fun and personable as any I have had at this location or any other similar restaurant. That was the only concern the people in my party had, only because they were making comparisons.Special Features:
- loved it :)OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014the food was amazing and the chef very entertaining .. love itSpecial Features:
- A note for Open TableJR1960Dined on 5/10/2014First you need to remove Wasabi from your list. They do not take reservations! It is strictly call ahead but does not guarantee a seat. We had a fantastc dinner! We arrived early even though it was called for 5:30. We arrived @ 4:55 on aSaturday. I was pleased that we were seated by the sushi bar as asked within 10 minutes of arriving. Our waitress was fabulous and very attentive. Food came out fresh and hot! Refills of our drinks on the half mark. Upon ordering she even offered the early-bird pricing being it was a mothers day outing. I thought that very nice and a professional touch. I highly recommend early arrival and you can ask for seating in sushi bar area and order same as dinner hibatchi show. Excellent evening very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First bad experienceDisappointed2theextremeDined on 5/3/2014The food was rushed to be cooked, and was not appealing. It also tasted bland. The server took forever with everything! I sat at the table for a total of one hour and fifteen minutes and not once did I receive a refill on my drink! This experience was terrible and I was not satisfied!!!Special Features:
- Great service and showtnmc84Dined on 5/3/2014This was my first hibachi experience and it was amazing. The cook put on a great show. The waitress was great and the food was great. I usually sit on the sushi side however I had a large group with me. Just a great place and I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kids BirthdayMariDined on 4/18/2014A great place to celebrate your 12 year old son's birthday when he is too old for Chuck E Cheese & too young for Hall's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/16/2014Really entertaining and fun. Great place to celebrate any special occasion. Great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- waited WAY TO LONGOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014Had reservation for 7:30, was seated at 735 and chef did not come to the table until 8:45.Special Features:
- Food awesome. Service spotty.RyanHDined on 4/5/2014We've been to Wasabi many times and the experience is consistent. Great food; entertaining chef (usually), though it can take forever to get one at your table; and the waitservice is slow. If you're willing to deal with the service then this is a great place to go, especially with kids. This visit we sat at the table for almost 45 minutes waiting for a chef (were they understaffed?). Our server was polite, but very slow and not very attentive. My children didn't get drink refills until dinner was almost over and my wife and I *never* got refills despite the glasses being obviously empty. So that was annoying. However the chef was outstanding. My kids LOVED interacting with him and he prepared a great meal. Overall great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServicemonkeyDined on 3/21/2014They service was a little slow. I don't know if she was new but it was like we were forgotten about. The cook could of been a little more funny we were laughing at Mike the whole time that was across from us cooking. I love this place but will not be coming back if the service is not good.Special Features:
- The food & service were veryDeniceDined on 3/14/2014The food & service were very good. The cook was entertaining. Wasabis is a fun place to go for a birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/8/2014We had an amazing time with the staff my brother enjoyed his bday thanks so much.Special Features:
- Reservations Not Honored-ChaoticOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2014First let me say that the food and service from our server/chef was great. Everything else left much to be desired. We were seated 1 hour and 10 minutes after our reservation. The hostess inaccurately transferred the reservation from Open Table to a piece of paper from 6 people to 4. While waiting, the manager offered us appetizers and told us we were next however we were not. Once seated, another person, who I assume was management, approached us to ask how things were going. She then told us that they do not offer reservations, only call ahead seating. I asked twice while they participate with Open Table if they do not honor reservations however she did not have an answer. If you can deal with the wait and chaos, the food is great.
- reservation, what reservation?ChrisDined on 2/14/2014For a 7:45 reservation, my date and I showed up at 7:30. The line to check in was out the door. As I requested to check in, I was notified that they don't offer "reservations" but rather I had a "call ahead seating request." Finally got seated at 9:30... 1 hour 45 minutes after my supposed reservation. Waiter was nice. Chef very polite. Food was very good. Not great, but very good. Just no need to go through the effort to make a nice date night just to have to wait 2 hours for your table. Hostesses were working hard, I just dont' see why you would accept walk ins when you have a full roster of reservations set. I will not go back. There are too many very similar options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedAskoDined on 2/9/2014Made reservations for 515 waited maybe 10 mins seated at table, chef didn't even get started cooking till after 6, I ordered chicken and shrimp my husband ordered filet and chicken by the time the chef got to our side of the table the other guests got double of what my portion was, charged for an extra drink as well....this was a birthday celebration for our daughter, needless to say very disappointed for overall experience we won't be back for a very long timeSpecial Features:
- Food always good and serversDaisymayDined on 2/7/2014Food always good and servers always fun and personableSpecial Features:
- Best experience so farPenniVDined on 1/26/2014We had the pleasure of having Mark as our chef. I'd the hundreds of times we have eaten St this you're of establishment, without a doubt he was the best. As always, the filet mignon was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 18th Birthday DinnerJoe4goDined on 1/25/2014Great good, the show left a little to be desired, service was about what you would expect on a busy Saturday night. Call first for reservation unless you want to wait 2 hours. All in all a good place to celebrateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not best for a romantic occasionwierdo1Dined on 1/17/2014Wasabi has excellent food and service but the atmosphere is very open which lends itself less to a romantic couple and more to a group setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at Wasabi of SummervillePMarie14Dined on 1/11/2014We usually go to Miyabi Japanese steak house and this was our first time here. It was a bit crowded for what we are used to but the overall experience was great! Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!RGehlkenDined on 1/11/2014Is always a fun experience! Chef was awesome and funny! Food always delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- depends on hibachi chefllapDined on 12/24/2013The chef makes or breaks the "exceptional grade" for this restaurant. I invited my husband to join me for a second visit. After the wonderful first experience, left me disappointed. the first visit, our chef tossed the implements, juggled sauces, had a wide selection of jokes, and drew us in very quickly to a jovial and highly interactive meal. the second visit, our chef had great technique for hibachi grilling itself, but no juggling, the jokes were lame and repeated (Japanese ketchup instead of soy sauce). We still enjoyed the food, but the table nearby had the lively chef, and they kept exploding with laughter and applause, which made our lunch seem a little drab- delicious, but... I know each group has its own dynamics, still...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were seated with minimalAshleyDined on 12/20/2013We were seated with minimal waiting time since we had a reservation. The food was delicious. I was a little disappointed that I was not allowed to sub my soup for an extra salad instead. I'm just not a fan of that soup and every other hibachi restaurant I have been to has allowed this substitution. Minor inconvenience. But, Overall the food was great and so was the chef and staff!Special Features:
- There was more than enoughhowobinDined on 10/27/2013There was more than enough food; we both had lunch for the next day and beyond. Chef was very entertaining and efficient. We will definitely go back with friends in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservations mean nothingIrishRogueDined on 10/20/2013Our party arrived at 5:30pm as was scheduled by our Open Table Reservation. We were finally seated at 6:15pm. Orders were taken in the interim. At 7:30pm I finally got fed up, as were all 8 people, 2 parties, and went to find someone in charge. At 8:00pm we were finally served. Management DID try to make amends with free drinks and a reduced bill.Special Features:
- Great food, great place. LightsFinedineDined on 9/29/2013Great food, great place. Lights were dim, romantic but laid backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!notcookingtonightDined on 9/27/2013Fun, entertaining, great food and an awesome chef and wait staff!Special Features:
- the food was GREAT as usual.dla1229Dined on 9/1/2013the food was GREAT as usual. We plan ahead, made a appt. We were there eariler and stil had to wait 40 minutes to be seated our chef was not having a good day. They did not do their usal tricks and delights for people. Other tables around us were having a great time. Our waitress messed up our order( they forgot a party in our group dinner) There were really long waits in bewteen the different serving of foods. It was made for a long night we had family from california visiting that we had been raving about this place and was very dissapointedSpecial Features:
- We were seated very quickly.MJBTDDined on 8/17/2013We were seated very quickly. Our initial server, Dillon or Devin, was excellent. The cook was entertaining. Before we finished eating one of the wait staff came wanting to box up our meals. I said I was not finished eating, nor was my companion. Both of us had seafood and did not want to carry it home. The wait staff person stood there holding a box open staring at us until we finished. We agreed we had never been so rushed in a restaurant. There was no offer of dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerKels17Dined on 7/21/2013My party had to wait almost 45 minutes even with opening a table. Once we got seated our waitress was awful, she was rude, she never filled up our drinks and out of the two hours we were there she was probably at the table 3 times. Our chef was pretty boring, not very exciting like the other chefs that were around. Everytime I have been to wasabi I have been pleased, but after this experience I will most likely never go back.Special Features: