4222 Vineland Ave.
North Hollywood, CA 91602Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.warrensblackboard.com/
- Phone: 8182557290x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: Daily: 6:00 am - 11:00 am (6:00 am - 12:00 pm on Saturday and Sunday);
Lunch: Daily: 11:00 am - 3:00 pm;
Dinner: Daily: 5:30 pm - 10:00 pm (5:30 pm - 11:00 pm on Saturday and Sunday);
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: Warren Schwartz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Private dining and event space available. Please contact our catering department at 818.255.7491
- Special Events: Private dining and event space available. Please contact our catering department at 818.255.7491
A word from Warren’s Blackboard
Headed by Chef Warren Schwartz, Warren’s Blackboard is a food and drink workshop featuring menus that are community-focused, influenced by LA’s food culture. Warren’s Blackboard serves as Chef Warren’s “blackboard” to concept the restaurant’s all-new dining venue, The Front Yard, opening Summer 2014. This social dining experience is anything but a transaction—it’s about food that is fresh, sustainable, shareable and true to the valley.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Warren’s Blackboard - Best Restaurants in Studio City ›
Warren’s Blackboard reviews from OpenTable diners
191 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (133)great for outdoor dining (131)fit for foodies (124)good for groups (59)great for lunch (53)great for brunch (49)special occasion (41)kid-friendly (32)hot spot (20)vibrant bar scene (20)late-night find (16)notable wine list (13)romantic (13)scenic view (4)Show More
- Delicious food- avoid the boothsYumYumDined on 10/17/2014The food here was really good, I expected it to be a bit more adventurous based on how the place markets itself but with that said everything we ate was delicious. We tried to Poke, Ceviche and Zucchini Blossoms to start and they were all excellent. Would consider just ordering those items for dinner next time. Our main courses of pork, chicken and mahi mahi were all also very good- but the starters were definitely the highlight. A couple of things to note- I would ask for a "real" table over the booths (outside looks great). Everyone in our party thought they were pretty uncomfortable. Also the staff seemed a little bit overwhelmed with a full restaurant- getting our drinks was a bit slow. Not horrible but not ideal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visit before the chef departsFrequentDinerVIPDined on 10/17/2014Some issues with what is run through the kitchen vs what is run by hotel. One bar handling both groups. Diners have to wait for drinks. We were served our appetizers before drinks were served and had to ask about them twice. The food is good and the pork chop is amazing. Other favorites were the burrata and figs (how can one go wrong), mushroom popover, lamb crostini and the fingerling duck fat potatoes (OMG). Do not order the brussel sprouts unless you are okay with them just being sauteed and dull looking/tasting. I was the only one at our table that enjoyed the broccolini, but to be fair, we were all pretty full by then. Overall a great experience. Hurry! Chef Schwartz is only there for a couple years.Special Features:
- Warren's BlackboardAleatsoutDined on 10/17/2014This was our first time eating here and we had a great dinner from start to finish.Special Features:
- consistently enjoyableDoubleLDined on 10/11/2014Nice happy hour with good bar food though limited wine on menu for happy hour.Been for dinner several times and it is always fresh and delicious. Plan to go back very soon. Already have plans to introduce some friends to this restaurant.Special Features:
- The best all around!!!FoodyDined on 10/11/2014Awesome place, great service, spectaculer food. Just perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!!justfaraDined on 10/11/2014I Loved this dinner! The mushroom and asparagus filled popover may qualify for the best thing I've ever had. Almost everything was sensational, even the salmon was off the charts. The only thing I didn't love was the steak, and that was partially me. I do not love top sirloin to begin with, but my boyfriend wanted it. It was dry and tasteless to me. He enjoyed it. Otherwise, we loved it all. We were too stuffed to think about desserts because the choices were not appealing enough to tilt us over the top.Special Features:
- Delicious foodBatgirlVIPDined on 10/10/2014The food is really delicious. It's connected next to a hotel so you see family's there which is the only downside as the food is amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Foodjon5ctsVIPDined on 10/10/2014Everything we had was just outstanding! Food is excellent, service was very good. The bar is cool comfortable but the dining room is pretty stark. No problem, though, this place is a perfect choice for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- RashidDined on 10/9/2014The entree was not quite a complete meal, had to order extra to make a decent meal. But the dish I ordered was well prepared.Special Features:
- ExcellentPK10Dined on 10/4/2014The food was great, the service was awesome - great for a birthday lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exciting Food In The Valley!OneFabMomVIPDined on 10/3/2014This place is a great find. The food is amazing. Kale salad to die for, the pork chop is MIND BLOWING. Fingerling potatoes were a hit and brussels sprouts were too. Great for foodies. Sit outside if you can :)Special Features:
- Each bite more flavorfuloutonthetownDined on 10/3/2014Our first time at Warren's Blackboard. Valet Parking with validated ticket from restaurant was nice. We started with the grilled squid appetizer, vary tasty and a bit spicy. The squid was very tender. Husband had the porkchop with street corn, grilled pineapple, and I had the MahiMahi with summer squash, sides of Brussels sprouts and fingerling potatoes. The MahiMahi was on a bed of white corn, heirloom cherry tomatoes, box toy squash and baby zucchini. Each bite was more flavorful than the last. The porkchop was tender and moist and the pineapple amazing. Served with mini corn tortillas and a flavorful hot sauce. The brussel sprouts were roasted in a sherry sauce, the potatoes in duck fat and perfect compliments to the main plates. Yum!Special Features:
- SaltySoCalMomDined on 9/28/2014Mid she's were overly salty. Waitress was wonderful and remembered every detail of orders and requests.Special Features:
- Great Brunch Findnavsingh12Dined on 9/28/2014Wonderful Margaritas and every dish I ordered was delicious from the pancakes which were light enough for me to eat them all, the short rib hash is really delicious with tender meat and perfectly crispy potatoes and last, but not least, the frittata was perfectly done.Special Features:
- KwickatDined on 9/27/2014Great spot. Good food, good service, knowledgeable staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing entrees and dessertsFrioutDined on 9/27/2014Had fried calamari for appetizer, and NY steak, mahi mahi, side brussel sprouts and side potatoes for entrees. Everything was amazing except the calamari; it was good, but not something I would order again. Drinks ordered during the Happy Hour was not worth the value. Desserts were to-die-for and a must-have. We had a 6 pm reservation and selected to sit on the patio. The weather was very nice and the noise level was moderate. By 7-7:30, the inside was packed and it was noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Under-whelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014The food descriptions sounded amazing and were presented to us by our server with flourish, however the food did not stand up to it's descriptions. We told our server we were there for a birthday and wanted to take our time and to stager our appetizers and yet they came out within 5 minutes and at the same time. The Ahi Poke was good, but we also ordered the Fig salad and it the cheese congealed before we could enjoy it and although the figs were supposedly grilled, they were cold and shriveled. Clearly grilled at another time... The Salmon was like a salt lick and the Pork we ordered was dry. The best thing on that plate was the corn on the cobb.
- Only Tried Breakfast: Just OKShermanOaksLarryDined on 9/21/2014We heard really good things about this place. We decided to try Breakfast. I didn't realize the Brunch did not start until 11, so we were left with a rather abbreviated Breakfast Menu or a Buffet. The Menu had the very basics. About $11-14 per meal. The Buffet was $19, including Coffee and Orange Juice (Freshly Squeezed and Delicious). We opted for the Buffet. There were two types of scrambled eggs. One was hard. The other was fine. Delicious Sausage, Bacon, Great Tasting Pancakes, and good French Toast. There were also Cereals, Granola and Fresh Fruit. In addition, there were bagels, with piles of Lox. Overall, I'd say $19 for this Buffet was a good value. If it were priced at $24.95, it would have been overpriced.Special Features:
- Very fun hybrid diner/foody joint!ValleyAllyDined on 9/19/2014I have been here numerous times and am always delighted by the good food and value. The staff is so friendly and the scene always interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice findOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/18/2014Finally got a chance to try Warren's blackboard. In a funky/cozy little hotel and great patio. Service was great. Drinks were great. Portions were a little big, but I really liked the chef's deconstructed plates. Looking forward to going back and becoming a regular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningMarciDined on 9/15/2014You may not expect such a great restaurant in a hotel in Studio City, but it was great. The Burratta and Grilled Peaches was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/13/2014Once again, the food was excellent--it never disappoints. Even regular menu items are prepared in slightly different ways, thus offering a new taste experience. Beautifully prepared, wonderfully presented, and served impeccably. The noise level is a little too high and "pinging" for my taste. When sitting in the center of the room, one has to strain to hear ones dining companions. More sound deadening elements would be a welcome addition, even though I know that the current trend is toward that energetic sound level. That said, I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just think,it used to be a HoJo's.SilverdinerDined on 9/13/2014Who know such a great place would be hidden in a plain sight as the "hotel restaurant". Unique takes on traditional fare and some great inventive tastes make this a place you want come back to in 24 hours to have the great plate you saw being taken to the net table over.Special Features:
- Foodie's paradise without attitudeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/12/2014Ordered almost all the apps and two desserts and none disappointed. Almost hate to share this place in fear that it will become too popular but it truly is one of my new faves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and atmosphereLovegoodfoodDined on 9/11/2014This is a great neighborhood gem in the Valley. Food and atmosphere are great if you sit outside. The bar inside is cosy and the drinks are good. I am ready for a change in the food selection though since I have frequented this establishment a great deal now. More fish, vegetarian pasta dishes and chicken dishes would be great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soon to be great!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/11/2014They are just getting the hang of being an under sung hero. The fresh, seasonal selections are exciting with a new twist on the familiar. Prices are reasonable, portions fair and the cocktails were fun. We look forward to going back!Special Features:
- amazinggreatbritDined on 9/3/2014The best ever been there twice very consistent great food and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scored againLaurelCanyonGirlVIPDined on 8/31/2014This was our 4-5th visit to WB, taking friends who were disappointed with a prior outing elsewhere. The patio is lovely, relatively quiet. Food is inventive but not crazy, offers some more standard, comforting options as well as new/interesting dishes, and the preparations are lovely. Portion size is just right for us. Though the kitchen has been slowish on a few of our visits, the food was served in a timely but unrushed manner this time and our server was superb. Finally, the prices are reasonable for the high quality and interest level of the food -- so a great value.Special Features:
- Fabulous - Go while you can!divingDPDined on 8/31/2014Four of us went for dinner for the first time this weekend. We were pleasantly surprised by the wonderful menu and the stunning service. All of us had been by the Garland Hotel for years and never noticed when this restaurant opened. Called a "Food/Wine Workshop" our server informed us that this was an experiment and that the place will close in November for six weeks to "re-tool" and reopen. Keeping what worked from the menu during the experiment. If you get a chance to go, try the mushroom popover. Fabulous flavor and texture. We'll be back before the close for sure.Special Features:
- SurpriseSBW77VIPDined on 8/31/2014I've driven by this place many times and never bothered to give it a second look. Service was amazing and the food was amazing with reasonable pricing. This will definitely be a regular spot from now on.Special Features:
- My Kind Of PlacePippinDined on 8/28/2014There are plenty of great restaurants with great food. What I appreciated about Warren's Blackboard was that it wasn't so dark that I needed a flashlight to read the menu. Neither was the noise level so loud that table conversation was a struggle. The food was outstanding, prepared to perfection, and just plain yummy. Our waiter, David, was one of the best waiters I've ever had the honor of having. His timing was spot on. Our party suffered no lack because of him. Bartender Kevin deserves applause. He was attentive and surprisingly quick even though he was very busy. He is a master mixologist. I really enjoyed my time there. It was comfortable, pleasant, and downright delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New Valley RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/28/2014This is a welcome addition to the Valley culinary scene. Love the fact that the menu constantly changes based on local ingredient availability and customer comments. Service and ambience are impeccable--it's nice to eat in a restaurant where the hard edges have been softened so that you can actually talk to and hear your dining companion without shouting. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very average...valleyfoodieVIPDined on 8/28/2014I like the location and the attempt to do something interesting in a space that has been dismissible for the 25 years I've lived in North Hollywood. The service was attentive and friendly -- but the food was very disappointing. The meal was tough and overcooked, and I left feeling a bloated and nauseated.
- very nicezuma54VIPDined on 8/28/2014excellent food and service interesting menu and off the beaten path, will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!WolfebirdDined on 8/24/2014Great food and find. Should be fantastic after close and renovation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood find!SharonDined on 8/23/2014Previously overlooked this place. Decided to try it since it was nearby to the Hollywood Bowl. Great outdoor eating area and lounge area. Attractive interior, tables and chairs. Wait staff were very friendly and helpful. Tried several appetizers and loved the zucchini blossoms and the peach and barratta salad. Burger was good, fries were great. The halibut was fantasic. They use only local and organic food and fresh fowl and fish. The blueberry cobbler was great, albeit a little small. No corkage for the wine we brought. We'll definitely go back, even without the Bowl. Recommend for a relaxing drink in the lounge area (inside or outside). Attached to the Beverly Garland Hotel. They even have a shuttle the Universal Studios.Special Features:
- Great BrunchFoodieDined on 8/23/2014The Short rib hash is delicious and the fruit with mint was really nice, the baguette was dry, they took it off the check. Wonderful server. A nice place to meet for brunchSpecial Features:
- Our new neighborhood fave!lisaDined on 8/17/2014We just love this place....food is excellent...service is spot on and friendly....watermelon cooler drink is so refreshing!!! it's my new go to place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st time hereaminlaVIPDined on 8/17/2014I've been wanting to try Warren's Blackboard for a while. We went for brunch and were very pleased. Great service - very friendly & attentive, and the food was excellent. We definitely plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy FoodJamesJudeDined on 8/16/2014Warren's Blackboard was a wonderful discovery in the San Fernando Valley ... food was terrific, portions were generous without being gluttonous and the service was cordial and attentive without being overbearing. Comfortable, contemporary dining room and a full bar (always a plus). Very reasonably priced (cocktails, appetizers, mains and desserts for 2 + $100)Special Features: