Warique Peruvian Kitchen
852 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10025Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
PeruvianPrice: $30 and under
Warique Peruvian Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 2128650101
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday: 12:00pm - 10:30pm, Thursday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Peruvian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
A word from Warique Peruvian Kitchen
Warique Peruvian Kitchen was created to bring the most delicious Peruvian dishes with a traditional flavor to our guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Warique Peruvian Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
- Love it, Peruvian food, yum!carmVIPDined on 3/29/2014This was a lovely restaurant colored in warm tones rust, goldenrod, rich red with matching art on the walls. The food was fresh, crisp and hot. The sangria totally yummy! The pitcher was well worth it. We started with the fried calamari, which was good with a great dipping sauce, slightly sweet. We had Tucu Tucu Lomo Salteado which had lots of beef, rice and beans and lovely rich gravy. Another in our party had the chicken combo with rice and beans and sweet plantains, enough to take home for another meal. I had the Jalea, what a surprise I thought it was a simple fried fish. It was a whole fresh seafood extravaganza shrimp, calamari, clams, mussels, fish with Yuca. The service was good, but there were out of a few things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Peruvian Find.teresaDined on 3/27/2014Having spent a lot of time in Peru, the Warique Peruvian Kitchen is a real find. Unpretentious decor, lovely wait staff, authentic Peruvian food...you will love it. The Ceviche is top-notch, the papas to die, loved it all, from beginning to end. It's a bit off the beaten track on Amsterdam in 107th which makes is all the more wonderful!Special Features:
- Never fails mesarjoDined on 3/15/2014Warique is my best find in a city full of great food. I always try and take visitors here (hard, because unfortunately I live 40 blocks south) because it is so "real." The food is fresh, delicious, and often surprising, the staff is really kind, and it's definitely not a tourist magnet. Service can be slow, but never irritatingly so. The venue is charming. I've never had a bad dish here, the hard part is forcing myself to keep trying new things since I love my favorites so much. Best of all, the prices are reasonable so you don't have to save Warique for some (inevitably disappointing) "special" meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Peruvian Gem!PlummloverDined on 3/8/2014Surprisingly great food! What looked overcooked on the web, ended out being fresh, delicious and most satisfying. Also, the Maracuya cocktail was a work of art.Special Features:
- Does Not Take AMEXUptownDinerDined on 2/12/2014Recently took business associate to dinner..when came to pay bill, was told no AMEX...this was the only credit card I had !!...was forced to ask dinner guest for payment...There was no notice anywhere in regards to not taking AMEX...very very bad business..this is the second time the payment policy has changed..two times prior, I was told only cash...this is bad business...The food was good, as usual..the server was a bit clueless, but very nice....I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not notable either wayHungryDivaVIPDined on 12/4/2013The night that we went, there was no one else in the restaurant. The food was standard Peruvian chicken fare and it was decent. However, it was a little overpriced compared to the other Peruvian restaurants in the same neighborhood and not a lot of variety. Still, I got my 1,000 points and I will go back because nothing goes better with roasted chicken and green sauce than getting points on OpenTable!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Peruvian fareDevinceDined on 11/28/2013The restaurant had a intimate setting and we were served promptly. The sangria prepared by the server was amazing! The ceviche dish was really great and definetly whetted our appetite for the seafood platter that came after. The roast chicken was done perfectly and was very tender!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 11/8/2013If you want great Peruvian food Warique is an excellent choice in the UWS for you. My wife who has traveled extensively throughout South America for many years said that the recipes were extremely authentic and gave the food served to us a 4.5 out of 5. The service is definitely in need of improvement. This is not the first time we have eaten there and it takes forever for the food to be served so don't expect otherwise during prime time dining hours. The couple seated next to us were so frustrated over the slow service they walked out. My guess is that the kitchen is very small and they cook one table's order at a time. Also it took well over 10 minutes to be served a single glass of wine. This is totally unacceptable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but not desertLeslieavaVIPDined on 10/1/2013Food was good and it's possible to have an inexpensive meal. Good wine at reasonable prices. Dessert on the other hand was of fair quality. Lovely waitress and hostess; therefore service was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, slow servicenyc2013VIPDined on 9/24/2013Before going ideas some of the other reviews and feel the same. The food was great. I had the sweet plantains, amazing, a salad, the dressing was the best I have ever had and the potatoes. The sauces on all of the food were so flavorable. You have to have a pisco sour. The food service was a little slow. It seemed like there were plenty of people working so I'm not sure why things took so long to come out. If you have the time to really enjoy a meal then this is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpectedly poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/18/2013The grilled veal hearts, with a spicy green sauce, and the signature chicken were delicious; the 2-for-1 sangrias were well-balanced. Unfortunately, the timing was out of whack and the original food order was misconstrued. The place was virtually empty at 6:45, yet our order wasn't taken for 20 minutes. (Servers were seen chatting at the maître-d's station.) We ordered a whole Peruvian chicken; only a half-chicken arrived. We were promised another half "very soon"; this never appeared, despite several reminders to our server. While waiting (another 20 minutes), we ordered sides (green salads): these never came either. No explanation or apology was offered. Perplexed (in light of the glowing reviews we'd read online), we left.Special Features:
- Fab happy hour drinks & yummy foodChristinaVIPDined on 9/10/2013Totally undiscovered gem of the UWS. The restaurant's poor location is likely the reason why my girlfriend and I were the only ones there for an early dinner, although to be fair it was a Tuesday. First off, the cocktails were A M A Z I N G. And reasonably priced @ $10. Their Peruvian meat dishes were bold and delicious. The decor is also very nice and inviting. We will def be back!! Love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowHungrydocVIPDined on 9/6/2013Phenomenal ceviche. I can't wait to try everything on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Peruvian FoodjustmyopinionDined on 9/1/2013Just came back from Peru and missed the food... Warique brings real Peruvian food. Loved the Tacu Tacu and the Fish Ceviche.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kind service and good prices!mynorthcountryDined on 7/7/2013The food was delicious and so well-priced. The staff couldn't have been nicer.
- peruvian aceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/28/2013this little restaurant has great Peruvian food at an unbeatable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great find! WariqueCdoubleeweDined on 6/21/2013What a great find! Warique hasn't been discovered by the masses quite yet, but I am sure it won't take long! The food was great. The dressing on the avocado salad should be made available for sale- I would put it on everything! We also loved the ceviche! Everything was full of unique flavors and the helpings were more than generous. They even poured decent glasses of wine! I will definitely be going back to Warique very soon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- True Peruvian!BirthdayBrunchDined on 6/3/2013Just came back from a trip to Peru with my boy friend and thought we would try out Warique. The food was delicious! We had taken a cooking class in Peru and decided to order the dished we had made to taste the authenticity. Warique definitely makes Authentic Peruvian food! The Causa and Lomo Saltado were delicious. Portions are very very large (not unlike in Peru). service was slow and considering we were the only ones in the whole restaurant we shouldn't have has to wait as long as we did. Overall, I would recoomend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as goos as expected!MIRCEDined on 5/5/2013We had to wait for our table, place is very small and there was no bar where we could have a drink and wait for our table. Food was ok, not as good as we were told....not going back to this place
- The restaurant is adorable,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/14/2013The restaurant is adorable, typical of a neighborhood spot on the UWS. The food was very enjoyable, completely typical of Peru! The service left a lot to be desired. I was there on a Sunday night so maybe it was not their full-time staff, but food took a very long time to arrive, utensils were then missing once food was served, and we constantly had to ask for more water. I would still try it again and see if we just had a off-experience.
- We really enjoyed the Ceviche,justmyopinionDined on 4/5/2013We really enjoyed the Ceviche, the Anticuchos, and Lomo Saltado con Tacu Tacu.Special Features:
- This restaurant is a wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/31/2013This restaurant is a wonderful addition to the neighborhood. Their cerviche and fried calamari are perfect. The restaurant is lovely, small and very welcoming. Their food presentation shows real attention to details and to aesthetics. One night last week I dined there with a a friend who'd never tasted cerviche and was reluctant to order it. We asked if it would be possible to try a taste and out came a tiny version of their full cerviche plate including a slice of sweet potato, a tiny serving of white beans and some crunchy nuts. My friend was wowed! I'm wishing them a long, successful life in our neighborhood.Special Features:
- Pretty Good!epoh4Dined on 3/27/2013Delicious, tasty food. Had the ceviche, roasted chicken, pan fried corvina. Wonderful flavors, though the cut and texture of fish in ceviche was bit chunky. The Peruvian roasted chicken, must-have delicious, and the pan-fried fish, OK with flavorful accompaniments. Friendly but slow service. Place seemed to lack energy for a quiet Wednesday night - but I would come back again to explore the menu further. My first time here, and it was promising.Special Features:
- Food was fantastic. SmallOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/18/2013Food was fantastic. Small place but cozy. I have had Peruvian cuisine a few times in the past and have been disappointed. Not so here. Wife and I loved the menu and had trouble each settling on something. Both came away very happy and will certainly be coming back. Their choice of Cabernet was also excellent.Special Features:
- Come for roasted chickenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/14/2012The roasted chicken is amazing and a great value. The restaurant is cute but service is slow. Unfortuantely they didn't have the vela heart that I wanted to try. The ceviche and salad that I ordered were nothing special and the fish and shrimp in the ceviche were not very fresh. I would come here again, just get the whole roasted chicken and friend plantains.
- Despite our arrival in theOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/30/2012Despite our arrival in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, Warique prepared a perfect, home-cooked Peruvian dinner for each member of our party of six, with gracious service. Highly recommend the seviche.Special Features:
- I reserved a spot for a bigPurpleDotDined on 10/5/2012I reserved a spot for a big group in this restaurant. After the orders were taken, the waitress informed me that the owner wanted us to order more food. He felt that we had not ordered enough and we were just taking up space in his restaurant. Only 2 other tables were taken at the restaurant at that time, there were still vacant tables and there definitely was no crowd waiting to get in! If anything, our presence there would have made the restaurant seem like a fun, interesting place to eat at rather than a sorry place with few patrons! The food and service were okay. It could have been a place to eat at every now and then but, given our experience, we definitely won't be back.
- A find!AmyElizabeth9369Dined on 9/26/2012My partner and I are total foodies and we had never had Peruvian food before ; we were excited to find such a great place in our neighborhood . The food was very tasty, moderately price, and creative. The service was great . I would say the atmosphere is friendly and nice. Great casual date night!Special Features:
- great outdoor place, $60 forOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/22/2012great outdoor place, $60 for brunch, with one drink each and no coffee
- This is my favorite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/21/2012This is my favorite restaurant and I confirm it's very good. Thank you guysSpecial Features:
- RecommendOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2012Very nice place to have a nice intimate dinner and the food was very goodSpecial Features:
- Best Ceviche I have had inOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/27/2012Best Ceviche I have had in New York. They also make a great Pisco Sour.Special Features:
- Quality of the food was veryGothamFoodCriticVIPDined on 7/28/2012Quality of the food was very good, the portions were large, and from my one previous visit to Peru and the other diners, it seems fairly authentic. Both of the things I ordered, papa rellena and ceviche mixto, were delicious. It's a restaurant I would go to again and possibly make a regular.Special Features:
- Food was good, the fried seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/28/2012Food was good, the fried seafood platter was amazing, but the service was very slow. Its a very small place.
- We had a nice meal and themnbnycVIPDined on 7/22/2012We had a nice meal and the food was well cooked and tasty if not spectacular. Service was a little slow and the waitress forgot some things but the place was busy and it is holiday time so maybe they were short staffed . I would go back and give them a second chance.
- Of the growing number of PeruvianOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/23/2012Of the growing number of Peruvian places, one of the better one. Their take on ceviche is unique and delicious.Special Features:
- A neighborhood treasure. AuthentictheatergoerVIPDined on 6/15/2012A neighborhood treasure. Authentic Peruvian food, lovely service and very large servings. Welcome to the Upper West Side.Special Features:
- Excellent local ethnic restaurant.FoodieVIPDined on 6/13/2012Excellent local ethnic restaurant. Good value. Service could be better.Special Features:
- Small venue, great foodLunchladiesVIPDined on 5/26/2012Terrific ethnic neighborhood place, where there were not enough Peruvian offerings.Special Features:
- Different and delicisousOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/19/2012For something different and delicious, this Peruvian is on target. As good as the Peruvian we had in LA. So much better than a Tex Mex experience. Friendly staff, great ceviche.Special Features: