90 N. Washington St.
Boston, MA 02114Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ward8.com/
- Phone: (617) 823-4478
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Kenny Schweizer
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Private Room
- Private Party Contact: Adam Sheldon 6178234478x
A word from Ward 8
WARD 8 is a casual, energetic neighborhood restaurant and bar located in the West End. Featuring a New American cuisine, craft cocktails, local micro-brews, and a global wine selection.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Ward 8 - Best Restaurants in West End ›
Ward 8 reviews from OpenTable diners
119 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (73)fit for foodies (65)neighborhood gem (60)hot spot (51)good for groups (40)great for brunch (18)late-night find (16)special occasion (15)romantic (11)great for lunch (8)notable wine list (5)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- One of the best experiences I've had at yet.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/18/2014Someone mentioned Ward 8 to me in passing, and on a whim I decided to try the casual-chic restaurant out. From our ground-level window seat, we could see the cars passing by but felt completely cozy in the dimly lit restaurant. Their Duxbury oysters were served fresly shucked, and their cheese board was perfectly selected! Our waiter, Marco, knew exactly what he was talking about when he suggested we try those. Then he suggested the short rib (bone-out). There are a million and one ways to not make a good short rib, but THIS WAS DELICIOUS. Their wine selection is wonderful, but this entire restaurant is hands down, a must try. I would love to go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchkmacDined on 11/15/2014Came in for a quick brunch... Sat right away, great vibes, food was awesome and service was perfect. It blends into the neighborhood but I would definitely recommend this spot. I will be going back to check the lunch and dinner menus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LaurenDined on 11/14/2014Pros: Waiter was quick and attentive, fun and witty. Food was great and reasonable in price. Good energy and cool ambiance. Food from kitchen came out within minutes. Con: Bartender served my white wine in a warm glass, obviously straight out of the washer - this is the second time that happened to me there - obviously the bar is just THAT busy, but it's not so hard to run it under cool water for 10 seconds.. its the little things ;) Overall, I think this is a great spot for dinner or a vibrant date without the price of the North End... that was my 3rd visit in under 6 months and I'll surely be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eh...BostonDinerDined on 11/7/2014Loud, very small menu with mediocre food. The service was good along with the drink listSpecial Features:
- Great spotJay1644Dined on 10/28/2014From the cocktail list to the beers and the food everything was great! The braised Short Rib was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but extremely noisy!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/24/2014I live in the neighborhood, and would love to dine here more often, if the noise-level wasn't so ear-piercing. It's literally impossible to carry on a conversation if you're seated anywhere near the bar, which is almost every table. The food is very nice, though, and the servers are great..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun friday night!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Went out for a special occasion and we were not disappointed! The cocktails were delicious and the food was outstanding! We shared several appetizers and small plates - definitely recommend the duck wings, pork lettuce cups, and steak & cheese dumplings! The place was packed but the service was prompt. We will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Non Traditional North EndBeerMeDined on 10/17/2014Nice departure from the usual North End eateries where you will find a food and drink menu more suited to the South End. Food is good with a few stars like the Maple Glazed Duck Wings or the Chicken and Polenta Poutine along with a decent cocktail menu. Service was outstanding, as our waiter (unfortunately, can't recall his name) was just on point and accommodating the whole night with a super relaxed, yet outgoing attitude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingChoppahDined on 10/12/2014All of the food was great and our server Tyrell was on point all evening. I will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- just so-sowilltryanythingonceDined on 10/12/2014Saw the place on phantom and figured I'd give it a try. Went on an early sunday evening which was not too crowded, however, it was still a bit loud in the place. Overall, the interior is cozy, however, the menu is pretty generic and overpriced for the quality. The bar menu was more hipster oriented but lacked a decent martini listing. Had high hopes but left somewhat disappointed.
- Love this place!FrenchFanDined on 10/10/2014The food is delicious, the service great, and the scene is fun. Definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little bit of everything!PatrishDined on 10/10/2014Great from start to finish! Our server was tip-top. Excellent selection of small plate choices or full meals. Good was served in a timely manner and there was no rush. Great little spot, I highly recommend it if you're headed to the Garden.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehFoodsieVIPDined on 9/30/2014Food was really mediocre. Not bad but not good either. Also, even though the place was almost empty at 530 when we got there, the hostess was rude to two older businessmen who wanted to sit at a dining table for drinks only (they were having a meeting). She told them "normally we don't do this... But I guess this time we will let you." When there's 20 empty tables and its 530, no need to be sassy about this rule.Special Features:
- RobertoDined on 9/28/2014Ward 8 was a real find for us. The food involved standard dishes combined with very nice innovative touches. The kitchen and staff are very attention to the concerns of people with a gluten allergy. The service was friendly, knowledgeable, and personable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and cocktailsjam1231Dined on 9/27/2014this is a great location in the north end, away from the more populated areas. they have an extensive bar menu, many types of whiskey, bourbon, vodka, gin, etc. and some delicious cocktails. the food is great too. i would recommend the pork lettuce cups, they are amazing. the short ribs entree is excellent as well. will definitely be making this more of a habit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014I had the seafood stew which was soo good. Would definately return to try more dishes. One person had the chicken with polenta and said it was one of the best meals she ever had. The service was very friendly and helped us decide on some great choices. The food came out quick and hot. Is more upscale then the bars in the area. It is in a great location as it is close to the Garden and the North End.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Properly cooked, tasted great!spiceandvarietyDined on 9/20/2014We ate brunch on Sunday, drank Milk Punch-yum!, ate French toast casserole cooked beautifully with an attractive appearance and a "yummy" taste. It was crunchy around the edges and soft in the center. The portion will fill most people up. Also ate poached eggs with flat iron steak - med. The hollandaise flavor was "spot on" and unbroken, the steak was cooked as requested, and the eggs were cooked perfectly. The homemade potatoes were crisp like chips, tasty and not overpowering but don't wait too long to eat them or that starts to change. It was the best brunch I have eaten in a long time! If the same crew works every sunday--you are in for a foodie treat!Special Features:
- Lively Friday Night Hangout13inaDined on 9/19/2014I love the food and service at Ward 8, it's not my first time there, however, we were given the most horrible choice of seating this time - right next to the bar! It wouldn't have been too bad if it wasn't a Friday night. However, my boyfriend and I couldn't wait to leave because of the deafening noise. People were screaming over each other to make conversation, right next to us; no different to sitting at the bar itself. I was getting a headache from the noise, and people frequently pushed and shoved our table as they stood at the bar and leaned to take photos. Finally, this was made entirely worse because we waited a long time for our food. We were told at least 4 or 5 times that it's ready and on it's way, before we actually received it.Special Features:
- Ward 8NimisDined on 9/18/2014We've been here before and I have eaten the same dish before so for some reason it didn't taste as good as usual. My husbands meat was unseasoned too. Drinks were good as usual.Special Features:
- Great spot near the TD GardenAndyDined on 9/15/2014We were attending a concert - the food was very good (I recommend the appetizer called fried cheese steak dumplings and the ginger miso salmon) and service was balanced - relaxed but prompt so that we were able to make the show without stress. Would definitely go again when I have an event at the GardenSpecial Features:
- luckylouVIPDined on 9/15/2014First, the service was impeccable---they really know how to get people in and out at the same time (since everyone was going to a show at the Garden). Food was great--highly recommend the braised short rib! However, noise level was a bit high. . . .but maybe they want it that way? I am over 50, so don't take kindly to places that make it hard to carry on a conversation!Special Features:
- Tasty food & great cocktailsKSebbieDined on 9/13/2014The cocktail and beer list was extensive and the food all looked diverse and delicious which made it hard to choose! Decor was fun and the service was attentive -- napkins were always folded whenever one of us got up to go to the restroom, waiter came back repeatedly to make sure we had what we needed. We went on a Saturday night and it was crowded and a bit noisy, but still enjoyable.Special Features:
- EPIC Brunch.ButterfleyeVIPDined on 9/7/2014Maybe I'm biased (because I've wanted to try Ward 8 for a while), but I was BLOWN AWAY by this little foodie haven. Brunch was nothing short of amazing - everyone got something different and shared, and each dish seemed to get better and better. Luckily, we family living virtually around the corner from Ward 8 so we'll get to go back often - but if you don't live close, this is 100% worth the trip. A great spin on traditional breakfast/brunch food with a great, casual, but trendy atmosphere. And I'm sure it's a great place a night - cool lighting, and a fabulous looking bar with unique drinks just far enough off the beat that you don't have to contend with the insanity of Hanover. Can't say enough about it!Special Features:
- Felt a bit rushed but overall goodhappyholidaydinerDined on 9/6/2014This is a nice place with a great look and feel -cool cocktails and an eclectic menu. Overall our meals were good and the cocktails very good. Did not like the feeling that our waiter was rushing us a bit. Drinks came and dinner was there two seconds later. Would have enjoyed more time to sip our drinks. Felt like we were being hustled along - although at the time there was no wait for tables. Waiter would do well to give diners more time to relax and enjoy their drinks. Might sell more that way. Bar scene seemed cool. Lots of young hipsters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ward 8 or Ward Great!fatfoodieDined on 8/31/2014Food was amazing, I had the streak frites with blue cheese butter, and wife had the short ribs. The appetizer of steak bites with sirracha aoli were phenomenal! Great beer list and bourbon selection. Only complaint was that the ac was not on. It was so hot ava sticky outside and after walking from the train station it would have been nice to sit in air conditioning instead of having a window in the front of the restaurant open when we in were in the back. Still food made it tolerable. Amazing place and food. Definitely a repeatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Great service, delicious food! Walked by this place many times and decided to give it a shot. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Nice restaurant, delicious meal!ksgshmoopsVIPDined on 8/27/2014First off, the lot behind the restaurant costs $20 bucks, and seems to get a lot of valet traffic, so I wouldn't count on that, street parking is your one option, so be prepared! The food was great; the cheese plate was nice, the toast made it better. Se teak tacos were tasty crunchy and very messy! I ordered the seafood stew which was delicious: spicy and packed with flavor. The boy got the swordfish which he thought was amazing. The stand out for me were the cocktails. The strawberry cachaca drink was incredible, the Southside was so balanced and intricate. The boy got the oaxaca old fashion which was super strong and complex, his Paloma crisp and refreshing. Next time I'll sit at the bar and see what else the bartender has up his sleeve!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit - will go backBostonDanDined on 8/26/2014Booked a table at Ward 8 for a business dinner despite having never been there before. Food was excellent. Service was knowledgable, friendly, and efficient. Bartender made an excellent sazerac.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/16/2014Awesome cocktails, fun menu and really an enjoyable place to spend an eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyable all arounddutchman1Dined on 8/16/2014food very good, pleasant service, meagre wine list.Special Features:
- Something new!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014My first time going here with a friend. We were very pleased...great food (especially the Fries sampler) great drinks, great ambiance, and great service! Will definitely go again!!Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014The food was amazing. The flavor popped out of every bite of every dish. The ribeye was truly amazing and almost melted in your mouth. the steak fritas were good as well.Special Features:
- we love ward 8tastebudsDined on 8/1/2014My fiance and I love this place. Everything was so delicious! We both finished all the appetizers and meals ordered , and I wanted to lick the plates after. Service and atmosphere were great. Loved the new windows that open to give that North end feel. Can't wait to return very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 123 reviews are from the Ward 8 reviews archive.
- Can't wait to come backFridaynightfoodieDined on 7/25/2014The ambiance was vibrant, the service was fantastic, the drinks were delicious, and the food was amazing! It fills up quickly after 8, so make sure to make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great North End findOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014It is refreshing to find a great food option in the North End that doesn't serve exclusive Italian food. All of us enjoyed our food, the atmosphere was very laid back and young. We found it amusing that there were several tables full of girls and groups of guys at the bar. Definitely fits the north end demographic with young attractive people and a fun energetic environment. Would come here again for girls night out!Special Features:
- An ok experienceDsquaredDined on 7/20/2014The service was ok but we felt a little rushed to finish our meals quickly since we settled in for a late-night meal prior to the 10 pm closing time. It didn't help that our waiter reminded us several times of the 10 pm closing time and complained about other customers that he previously served who stayed too late for his liking. Our server even brought over our check without asking first if we were finished with our meals. We ordered the lobster rolls and steak for dinner. We were told that each lobster roll comes with at least enough meat from 2 whole lobsters but the sandwich we received did not contain much meat, especially not from 2 whole lobsters and also contained too much onion. The steak was decent. An overall an ok experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!foodie25VIPDined on 7/19/2014Great restaurant in the West End! Was happy I had made a reservation. Food and drinks were absolutely delicious. Felt extremely rushed by the server. Normally, I like to spend an hour to an hour and a half at dinner. Plenty of time to enjoy a drink then have dinner and a glass of wine without "camping" at the table. First drink and appetizer were not even done by the time our main dishes arrived. We were in and out in 45 minutes, would have loved to stay a bit longer and enjoy the ambiance. It really took away from the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and fun!mmgoodfoodVIPDined on 7/12/2014Perfect for a date or dinner with friends. Went with a group of 7 people, everyone had something different and none were disappointed. The drinks were delicious too! I would highly recommend trying this place out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchLP114VIPDined on 7/12/2014Just went for brunch and loved it - really having tater tots as an option always gives a step up to any restaurant. The main items were also delicious though. There were so many wonderful-sounding options the three of us all had a hard time making a final decision, but we were each very happy with what we got (the bacon/brie/scallion omelette, breakfast sandwich, and steak & eggs). Would definitely recommend! It also wasn't very full, so my reservation was unnecessary, but nice we could make one for brunch anyways.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll be back.........massexcitementVIPDined on 7/2/2014This was perfect in so many ways. First of all directly abuts the parking area for an event at TD Garden...convenience - great! Loved the variety of cocktails and the friendly, attentive and informative bar staff. The appetizer portion sizes were perfect to share and were displayed in a simple, but elegant way. Appreciated the A/C, but enjoyed having the windowed walls opened to feel the city. Added to the restaurant feel of being alive. Noticed all ages were stopping by and I always love seeing that. Shows the establishment really has an understanding of their clientelle and all are welcone to enjoy. Whether drinks or food, an event at TD Garden - vacationing or just decompressing after work, you should give Ward 8 a try. Cheers!Special Features: