90 N. Washington St.
Boston, MA 02114Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ward8.com/
- Phone: 6178234478x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Kenny Schweizer
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Private Room
- Private Party Contact: Adam Sheldon 6178234478x
A word from Ward 8
WARD 8 is a casual, energetic neighborhood restaurant and bar located in the West End. Featuring a New American cuisine, craft cocktails, local micro-brews, and a global wine selection.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Ward 8 - Best Restaurants in West End ›
Ward 8 reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (60)fit for foodies (50)neighborhood gem (48)hot spot (39)good for groups (27)late-night find (18)great for brunch (16)special occasion (13)romantic (10)great for lunch (5)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (4)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great spot near the TD GardenAndyDined on 9/15/2014We were attending a concert - the food was very good (I recommend the appetizer called fried cheese steak dumplings and the ginger miso salmon) and service was balanced - relaxed but prompt so that we were able to make the show without stress. Would definitely go again when I have an event at the GardenSpecial Features:
- luckylouVIPDined on 9/15/2014First, the service was impeccable---they really know how to get people in and out at the same time (since everyone was going to a show at the Garden). Food was great--highly recommend the braised short rib! However, noise level was a bit high. . . .but maybe they want it that way? I am over 50, so don't take kindly to places that make it hard to carry on a conversation!Special Features:
- Tasty food & great cocktailsKSebbieDined on 9/13/2014The cocktail and beer list was extensive and the food all looked diverse and delicious which made it hard to choose! Decor was fun and the service was attentive -- napkins were always folded whenever one of us got up to go to the restroom, waiter came back repeatedly to make sure we had what we needed. We went on a Saturday night and it was crowded and a bit noisy, but still enjoyable.Special Features:
- EPIC Brunch.ButterfleyeVIPDined on 9/7/2014Maybe I'm biased (because I've wanted to try Ward 8 for a while), but I was BLOWN AWAY by this little foodie haven. Brunch was nothing short of amazing - everyone got something different and shared, and each dish seemed to get better and better. Luckily, we family living virtually around the corner from Ward 8 so we'll get to go back often - but if you don't live close, this is 100% worth the trip. A great spin on traditional breakfast/brunch food with a great, casual, but trendy atmosphere. And I'm sure it's a great place a night - cool lighting, and a fabulous looking bar with unique drinks just far enough off the beat that you don't have to contend with the insanity of Hanover. Can't say enough about it!Special Features:
- Felt a bit rushed but overall goodhappyholidaydinerDined on 9/6/2014This is a nice place with a great look and feel -cool cocktails and an eclectic menu. Overall our meals were good and the cocktails very good. Did not like the feeling that our waiter was rushing us a bit. Drinks came and dinner was there two seconds later. Would have enjoyed more time to sip our drinks. Felt like we were being hustled along - although at the time there was no wait for tables. Waiter would do well to give diners more time to relax and enjoy their drinks. Might sell more that way. Bar scene seemed cool. Lots of young hipsters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ward 8 or Ward Great!fatfoodieDined on 8/31/2014Food was amazing, I had the streak frites with blue cheese butter, and wife had the short ribs. The appetizer of steak bites with sirracha aoli were phenomenal! Great beer list and bourbon selection. Only complaint was that the ac was not on. It was so hot ava sticky outside and after walking from the train station it would have been nice to sit in air conditioning instead of having a window in the front of the restaurant open when we in were in the back. Still food made it tolerable. Amazing place and food. Definitely a repeatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Great service, delicious food! Walked by this place many times and decided to give it a shot. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Nice restaurant, delicious meal!ksgshmoopsVIPDined on 8/27/2014First off, the lot behind the restaurant costs $20 bucks, and seems to get a lot of valet traffic, so I wouldn't count on that, street parking is your one option, so be prepared! The food was great; the cheese plate was nice, the toast made it better. Se teak tacos were tasty crunchy and very messy! I ordered the seafood stew which was delicious: spicy and packed with flavor. The boy got the swordfish which he thought was amazing. The stand out for me were the cocktails. The strawberry cachaca drink was incredible, the Southside was so balanced and intricate. The boy got the oaxaca old fashion which was super strong and complex, his Paloma crisp and refreshing. Next time I'll sit at the bar and see what else the bartender has up his sleeve!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit - will go backBostonDanDined on 8/26/2014Booked a table at Ward 8 for a business dinner despite having never been there before. Food was excellent. Service was knowledgable, friendly, and efficient. Bartender made an excellent sazerac.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Awesome cocktails, fun menu and really an enjoyable place to spend an eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyable all arounddutchman1Dined on 8/16/2014food very good, pleasant service, meagre wine list.Special Features:
- Something new!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014My first time going here with a friend. We were very pleased...great food (especially the Fries sampler) great drinks, great ambiance, and great service! Will definitely go again!!Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014The food was amazing. The flavor popped out of every bite of every dish. The ribeye was truly amazing and almost melted in your mouth. the steak fritas were good as well.Special Features:
- we love ward 8tastebudsDined on 8/1/2014My fiance and I love this place. Everything was so delicious! We both finished all the appetizers and meals ordered , and I wanted to lick the plates after. Service and atmosphere were great. Loved the new windows that open to give that North end feel. Can't wait to return very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to come backFridaynightfoodieDined on 7/25/2014The ambiance was vibrant, the service was fantastic, the drinks were delicious, and the food was amazing! It fills up quickly after 8, so make sure to make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great North End findOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014It is refreshing to find a great food option in the North End that doesn't serve exclusive Italian food. All of us enjoyed our food, the atmosphere was very laid back and young. We found it amusing that there were several tables full of girls and groups of guys at the bar. Definitely fits the north end demographic with young attractive people and a fun energetic environment. Would come here again for girls night out!Special Features:
- An ok experienceDsquaredDined on 7/20/2014The service was ok but we felt a little rushed to finish our meals quickly since we settled in for a late-night meal prior to the 10 pm closing time. It didn't help that our waiter reminded us several times of the 10 pm closing time and complained about other customers that he previously served who stayed too late for his liking. Our server even brought over our check without asking first if we were finished with our meals. We ordered the lobster rolls and steak for dinner. We were told that each lobster roll comes with at least enough meat from 2 whole lobsters but the sandwich we received did not contain much meat, especially not from 2 whole lobsters and also contained too much onion. The steak was decent. An overall an ok experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!foodie25VIPDined on 7/19/2014Great restaurant in the West End! Was happy I had made a reservation. Food and drinks were absolutely delicious. Felt extremely rushed by the server. Normally, I like to spend an hour to an hour and a half at dinner. Plenty of time to enjoy a drink then have dinner and a glass of wine without "camping" at the table. First drink and appetizer were not even done by the time our main dishes arrived. We were in and out in 45 minutes, would have loved to stay a bit longer and enjoy the ambiance. It really took away from the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and fun!mmgoodfoodVIPDined on 7/12/2014Perfect for a date or dinner with friends. Went with a group of 7 people, everyone had something different and none were disappointed. The drinks were delicious too! I would highly recommend trying this place out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchLP114Dined on 7/12/2014Just went for brunch and loved it - really having tater tots as an option always gives a step up to any restaurant. The main items were also delicious though. There were so many wonderful-sounding options the three of us all had a hard time making a final decision, but we were each very happy with what we got (the bacon/brie/scallion omelette, breakfast sandwich, and steak & eggs). Would definitely recommend! It also wasn't very full, so my reservation was unnecessary, but nice we could make one for brunch anyways.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll be back.........massexcitementVIPDined on 7/2/2014This was perfect in so many ways. First of all directly abuts the parking area for an event at TD Garden...convenience - great! Loved the variety of cocktails and the friendly, attentive and informative bar staff. The appetizer portion sizes were perfect to share and were displayed in a simple, but elegant way. Appreciated the A/C, but enjoyed having the windowed walls opened to feel the city. Added to the restaurant feel of being alive. Noticed all ages were stopping by and I always love seeing that. Shows the establishment really has an understanding of their clientelle and all are welcone to enjoy. Whether drinks or food, an event at TD Garden - vacationing or just decompressing after work, you should give Ward 8 a try. Cheers!Special Features:
- Mixed BagstevefoodieDined on 7/2/2014Food--Swordfish special was excellent. Lettuce cup appetizer--pork filling was fried and inferior to traditional minced version. Noisy and poor acoustics, but expected from bar scene. Big negative was that AC was barely working on a 90 degree night--which made dinner extremely uncomfortable. Would never go back on a similar weather night, but would before a Garden event otherwise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but hotOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/30/2014No A/C, so great if you're near the window and there is a breeze. Very, very loud. Great if you don't want to have a deep conversation. Food was very good.Special Features:
- Great SpotJennyJennyBoBennyDined on 6/28/2014A group of five of us had dinner here and it was wonderful! We got a nice table right by the open window/wall and the breeze was great. It did get loud when trucks went by, but that is part of it all. We started with some really good cocktails. I got the oaxacan old fashioned to start. For dinner I enjoyed the short ribs and a glass of rioja. A delightful meal and a really good time. We all agreed we would be back. Thank you, Ward 8!Special Features:
- Great food and atmosphereDinner4OneDined on 6/27/2014I just moved into this neighborhood and this is quickly becoming my favorite spot - both for the food and the atmosphere. The service is excellent too by the way.Special Features:
- Just OKJenMurphyDined on 6/26/2014I really had no preconceived notions going into dine. We ordered a 1/2 dozen oysters to start while talking there were still 3 oysters that we were planning on eating, but all of a sudden the busboy was clearing our plates away to ready for the entrees. We downed the oysters sans plates and sauces. We ordered a Morgon which is a Cru Beaujolais and can be served at room temp around 60-65º. It was much warmer than room temp and not sure where it was stored but it was very warm. So much so we needed to have it iced. Our entrees were average fare. Nothing exciting or really memorable. I had Chicken with polenta fries and poutine. The fries were great but the 1/2 chicken felt like it was from a super market rotisserie. No crispy delicious skinSpecial Features:
- What a Find!!tarynDined on 6/22/2014Awesome food, impeccable service. Tables in front of restaurant adjacent to open window areas- there are actually no windows, just the space. Feels like eating outside without being outside. Convenient to north end, Boston Garden, parking. Very energetic bar scene. Food was phenomenal- Prices fairly reasonable for the area.Special Features:
- A Gem near North EndOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/18/2014We went to Ward 8 for our 26th anniversary. The food and service was amazing. My husband loved his salmon and I had the best rib eye I have ever tasted. The mashed potatoes were a dream and I was thrilled to find grilled brussel sprouts on the menu. The beer was served in a frosted mug and our server was well-versed in the different beers available and recommended a great local brew from Cambridge. We have since recommended this restaurant to our friends and can't wait to return to try other items on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing brunch!BostonBean9Dined on 6/15/2014I took my Dad to Ward 8 for Father's Day since he's been hearing me talk about the awesome dinner and bar menu for a while. The windows were open and the gorgeous day certainly helped but the brunch was excellent. Friendly staff, attentive (but not overbearing) service and awesome food. We will definitely be going back!Special Features:
- Mixed FeelingsTomDDined on 6/14/2014I had heard great things about this restaurant. I will start by saying that the food was very good. My issue is with the setting. It has a good bar and some tables at the front which are a nice place to sit. If you are unfortunate to be seated at the rear of the restaurant you might as well be sitting in a college cafeteria, it is stark, the tables are close and you are hidden behind a half wall. My other issue is with the chairs, I am not a large person and I found them to be uncomfortable and narrow. If I return, I would only sit at the bar.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/13/2014Food was solid, if not quite excellent, great portion sizes (not too large, not too small). Noise level energetic, a little too loud for good conversation at the table. Would go back, certainly for drink and dinner as well.Special Features:
- YUMMYmacattack711VIPDined on 6/12/2014It's a new favorite!!! We have had about 7 dishes from their menu, and everyone is fantastic! The pork in the pork lettuce cups was fantastic! The fried cheese steak dumplings are SO good - I want to learn to recreate them because I would eat them every night!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, portions could be biggerPeteDined on 6/4/2014The title says it all. The food (especially the mussels) is great, but I would have liked a bit more on my plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy and DeliciousnorthendragazzaDined on 5/31/2014Ward 8 had great cocktails, great atmosphere and great food. The maple chili duck wings were AMAZING. My boyfriend loved his Braised Short Ribs and I had the Ginger Miso Salmon that was delicious as well. It was full but not packed on a Saturday night at 8:30, which was perfect. Service was efficient and we will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get ready for some noiseYummlyDined on 5/30/2014Very noisy restaurant.. The ambience was more like a pub! The food however was great as was the service. We went on the early side so our waiter hovered a bit because he did not have many tables. We loved the busser who always kept our water full and was also very attentive! We did not like that the large bar crowd at 5:30pm stood over us as we ate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would go againEire7777VIPDined on 5/29/2014Even though we had a few mix ups, my friends and I would go again. The food was good although it would be nice to see some more vegetarian options or to know that a few dishes could be made without the meat/seafood portion. There was a rowdy group near us so my friends and I had to essentially yell to each other, but hopefully that won't be the case every visit. I got the Bee Sting drink which was good and one friend got the Ward 8 which she liked also.
- On the West End/North End BorderEricDined on 5/29/2014We arrived early but our table was ready. The service was excellent, attentive but not overpowering. The food was very good all around. The "Lobster in the Hole" is worth trying even for a seasoned New Englander. This is a busy vibrant restaurant on a week night, largely populated by young professionals but not exclusively so. We had an excellent meal. Ward 8 may be the best place to eat that's within a short walk to North Station and the Garden.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great!tizliz11Dined on 5/27/2014great food and service! took a friend here from out of town and she was so impressed! its nice having NON italian options here in the north end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/27/2014I have dined here twice and the food has been awesome both times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Friday night spotfoodandyogaDined on 5/23/2014My husband and I enjoyed dinner at this bustling bar/restaurant. He had the Lobster in the hole- with black truffle oil, you can't go wrong. I had the salmon which was delicious and a generous portion. We were happy with our apps and drinks. I'd recommend Ward 8 for it's vibrant ambience, it's fairly straightforward yet interesting menu and it's friendly waitstaff. Glad that I've checked it off my list of places to visit and we'll be back.Special Features: