90 N. Washington St.
Boston, MA 02114Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ward8.com/
- Phone: 6178234478x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Kenny Schweizer
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Private Room
- Private Party Contact: Adam Sheldon 6178234478x
A word from Ward 8
WARD 8 is a casual, energetic neighborhood restaurant and bar located in the West End. Featuring a New American cuisine, craft cocktails, local micro-brews, and a global wine selection.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ward 8 reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (59)fit for foodies (48)neighborhood gem (45)hot spot (38)great for brunch (20)good for groups (20)late-night find (19)special occasion (12)romantic (8)great for lunch (7)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (3)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- First visit - will go backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014Booked a table at Ward 8 for a business dinner despite having never been there before. Food was excellent. Service was knowledgable, friendly, and efficient. Bartender made an excellent sazerac.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Awesome cocktails, fun menu and really an enjoyable place to spend an eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyable all arounddutchman1Dined on 8/16/2014food very good, pleasant service, meagre wine list.Special Features:
- Something new!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014My first time going here with a friend. We were very pleased...great food (especially the Fries sampler) great drinks, great ambiance, and great service! Will definitely go again!!Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014The food was amazing. The flavor popped out of every bite of every dish. The ribeye was truly amazing and almost melted in your mouth. the steak fritas were good as well.Special Features:
- we love ward 8tastebudsDined on 8/1/2014My fiance and I love this place. Everything was so delicious! We both finished all the appetizers and meals ordered , and I wanted to lick the plates after. Service and atmosphere were great. Loved the new windows that open to give that North end feel. Can't wait to return very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to come backFridaynightfoodieDined on 7/25/2014The ambiance was vibrant, the service was fantastic, the drinks were delicious, and the food was amazing! It fills up quickly after 8, so make sure to make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great North End findOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014It is refreshing to find a great food option in the North End that doesn't serve exclusive Italian food. All of us enjoyed our food, the atmosphere was very laid back and young. We found it amusing that there were several tables full of girls and groups of guys at the bar. Definitely fits the north end demographic with young attractive people and a fun energetic environment. Would come here again for girls night out!Special Features:
- An ok experienceDsquaredDined on 7/20/2014The service was ok but we felt a little rushed to finish our meals quickly since we settled in for a late-night meal prior to the 10 pm closing time. It didn't help that our waiter reminded us several times of the 10 pm closing time and complained about other customers that he previously served who stayed too late for his liking. Our server even brought over our check without asking first if we were finished with our meals. We ordered the lobster rolls and steak for dinner. We were told that each lobster roll comes with at least enough meat from 2 whole lobsters but the sandwich we received did not contain much meat, especially not from 2 whole lobsters and also contained too much onion. The steak was decent. An overall an ok experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!foodie25Dined on 7/19/2014Great restaurant in the West End! Was happy I had made a reservation. Food and drinks were absolutely delicious. Felt extremely rushed by the server. Normally, I like to spend an hour to an hour and a half at dinner. Plenty of time to enjoy a drink then have dinner and a glass of wine without "camping" at the table. First drink and appetizer were not even done by the time our main dishes arrived. We were in and out in 45 minutes, would have loved to stay a bit longer and enjoy the ambiance. It really took away from the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and fun!mmgoodfoodVIPDined on 7/12/2014Perfect for a date or dinner with friends. Went with a group of 7 people, everyone had something different and none were disappointed. The drinks were delicious too! I would highly recommend trying this place out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchLP114Dined on 7/12/2014Just went for brunch and loved it - really having tater tots as an option always gives a step up to any restaurant. The main items were also delicious though. There were so many wonderful-sounding options the three of us all had a hard time making a final decision, but we were each very happy with what we got (the bacon/brie/scallion omelette, breakfast sandwich, and steak & eggs). Would definitely recommend! It also wasn't very full, so my reservation was unnecessary, but nice we could make one for brunch anyways.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll be back.........massexcitementDined on 7/2/2014This was perfect in so many ways. First of all directly abuts the parking area for an event at TD Garden...convenience - great! Loved the variety of cocktails and the friendly, attentive and informative bar staff. The appetizer portion sizes were perfect to share and were displayed in a simple, but elegant way. Appreciated the A/C, but enjoyed having the windowed walls opened to feel the city. Added to the restaurant feel of being alive. Noticed all ages were stopping by and I always love seeing that. Shows the establishment really has an understanding of their clientelle and all are welcone to enjoy. Whether drinks or food, an event at TD Garden - vacationing or just decompressing after work, you should give Ward 8 a try. Cheers!Special Features:
- Mixed BagstevefoodieDined on 7/2/2014Food--Swordfish special was excellent. Lettuce cup appetizer--pork filling was fried and inferior to traditional minced version. Noisy and poor acoustics, but expected from bar scene. Big negative was that AC was barely working on a 90 degree night--which made dinner extremely uncomfortable. Would never go back on a similar weather night, but would before a Garden event otherwise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but hotOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/30/2014No A/C, so great if you're near the window and there is a breeze. Very, very loud. Great if you don't want to have a deep conversation. Food was very good.Special Features:
- Great SpotJennyJennyBoBennyDined on 6/28/2014A group of five of us had dinner here and it was wonderful! We got a nice table right by the open window/wall and the breeze was great. It did get loud when trucks went by, but that is part of it all. We started with some really good cocktails. I got the oaxacan old fashioned to start. For dinner I enjoyed the short ribs and a glass of rioja. A delightful meal and a really good time. We all agreed we would be back. Thank you, Ward 8!Special Features:
- Great food and atmosphereDinner4OneDined on 6/27/2014I just moved into this neighborhood and this is quickly becoming my favorite spot - both for the food and the atmosphere. The service is excellent too by the way.Special Features:
- Just OKJenMurphyDined on 6/26/2014I really had no preconceived notions going into dine. We ordered a 1/2 dozen oysters to start while talking there were still 3 oysters that we were planning on eating, but all of a sudden the busboy was clearing our plates away to ready for the entrees. We downed the oysters sans plates and sauces. We ordered a Morgon which is a Cru Beaujolais and can be served at room temp around 60-65º. It was much warmer than room temp and not sure where it was stored but it was very warm. So much so we needed to have it iced. Our entrees were average fare. Nothing exciting or really memorable. I had Chicken with polenta fries and poutine. The fries were great but the 1/2 chicken felt like it was from a super market rotisserie. No crispy delicious skinSpecial Features:
- What a Find!!tarynDined on 6/22/2014Awesome food, impeccable service. Tables in front of restaurant adjacent to open window areas- there are actually no windows, just the space. Feels like eating outside without being outside. Convenient to north end, Boston Garden, parking. Very energetic bar scene. Food was phenomenal- Prices fairly reasonable for the area.Special Features:
- A Gem near North EndOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/18/2014We went to Ward 8 for our 26th anniversary. The food and service was amazing. My husband loved his salmon and I had the best rib eye I have ever tasted. The mashed potatoes were a dream and I was thrilled to find grilled brussel sprouts on the menu. The beer was served in a frosted mug and our server was well-versed in the different beers available and recommended a great local brew from Cambridge. We have since recommended this restaurant to our friends and can't wait to return to try other items on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing brunch!BostonBean9Dined on 6/15/2014I took my Dad to Ward 8 for Father's Day since he's been hearing me talk about the awesome dinner and bar menu for a while. The windows were open and the gorgeous day certainly helped but the brunch was excellent. Friendly staff, attentive (but not overbearing) service and awesome food. We will definitely be going back!Special Features:
- Mixed FeelingsTomDDined on 6/14/2014I had heard great things about this restaurant. I will start by saying that the food was very good. My issue is with the setting. It has a good bar and some tables at the front which are a nice place to sit. If you are unfortunate to be seated at the rear of the restaurant you might as well be sitting in a college cafeteria, it is stark, the tables are close and you are hidden behind a half wall. My other issue is with the chairs, I am not a large person and I found them to be uncomfortable and narrow. If I return, I would only sit at the bar.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/13/2014Food was solid, if not quite excellent, great portion sizes (not too large, not too small). Noise level energetic, a little too loud for good conversation at the table. Would go back, certainly for drink and dinner as well.Special Features:
- YUMMYmacattack711VIPDined on 6/12/2014It's a new favorite!!! We have had about 7 dishes from their menu, and everyone is fantastic! The pork in the pork lettuce cups was fantastic! The fried cheese steak dumplings are SO good - I want to learn to recreate them because I would eat them every night!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, portions could be biggerPeteDined on 6/4/2014The title says it all. The food (especially the mussels) is great, but I would have liked a bit more on my plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy and DeliciousnorthendragazzaDined on 5/31/2014Ward 8 had great cocktails, great atmosphere and great food. The maple chili duck wings were AMAZING. My boyfriend loved his Braised Short Ribs and I had the Ginger Miso Salmon that was delicious as well. It was full but not packed on a Saturday night at 8:30, which was perfect. Service was efficient and we will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get ready for some noiseYummlyDined on 5/30/2014Very noisy restaurant.. The ambience was more like a pub! The food however was great as was the service. We went on the early side so our waiter hovered a bit because he did not have many tables. We loved the busser who always kept our water full and was also very attentive! We did not like that the large bar crowd at 5:30pm stood over us as we ate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would go againEire7777VIPDined on 5/29/2014Even though we had a few mix ups, my friends and I would go again. The food was good although it would be nice to see some more vegetarian options or to know that a few dishes could be made without the meat/seafood portion. There was a rowdy group near us so my friends and I had to essentially yell to each other, but hopefully that won't be the case every visit. I got the Bee Sting drink which was good and one friend got the Ward 8 which she liked also.
- On the West End/North End BorderEricDined on 5/29/2014We arrived early but our table was ready. The service was excellent, attentive but not overpowering. The food was very good all around. The "Lobster in the Hole" is worth trying even for a seasoned New Englander. This is a busy vibrant restaurant on a week night, largely populated by young professionals but not exclusively so. We had an excellent meal. Ward 8 may be the best place to eat that's within a short walk to North Station and the Garden.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great!tizliz11Dined on 5/27/2014great food and service! took a friend here from out of town and she was so impressed! its nice having NON italian options here in the north end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/27/2014I have dined here twice and the food has been awesome both times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Friday night spotfoodandyogaDined on 5/23/2014My husband and I enjoyed dinner at this bustling bar/restaurant. He had the Lobster in the hole- with black truffle oil, you can't go wrong. I had the salmon which was delicious and a generous portion. We were happy with our apps and drinks. I'd recommend Ward 8 for it's vibrant ambience, it's fairly straightforward yet interesting menu and it's friendly waitstaff. Glad that I've checked it off my list of places to visit and we'll be back.Special Features:
- Fab!MegTVIPDined on 5/22/2014Great drinks & the food is fab. Gluten Free options as well. The salmon dish is amazing, I hope it never goes off the menu. We live in the north end and its nice to have a spot closeby that is outside of the normal old school italian vibe.Special Features:
- Great for apps & drinks...SuburbFailVIPDined on 5/19/2014but I wouldn't recommend dinner. Dinner was not great. I ordered the steak frites (medium-rare) & it came out looking like a potroast. I must have gotten the end piece of the meat - either way, it wasn't good. But the apps were decent and beers on tap were great! Services was excellent. It did catch our attention that there weren't any female employees, though.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/18/2014I had never been, it was recommended by my daughter. We did make reservations but were early. They sat us right away . I did not know what to expect...but it was a very comfortable atmosphere, service was excellent and the food was really good. I would come again and also recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous cocktails, modern dishesSpaghettiVIPDined on 5/16/2014They've added more to the drink list - it's now two full pages! Including a whole section on amaros. Little Giuseppe may be my new favorite - although the Oaxaca Old Fashioned has been my standby for awhile. Tried the shrimp salad this time - a bit different & seasonal, had some roasted root vegetables rather than a lettuce base. Oysters were fresh and on the larger side (which I prefer - not too briney). Frozen custard is dangerous - creamy and not too sweet, perfect with the sour cherry topping.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinks and mediocre foodbeerisgoodDined on 5/16/2014Great place to grab a drink. Not a great place to grab a bite. Food is overpriced and mediocre at best. Great drink menu, including a very good beer selection. Awesome bar area. Come for a drink. Go elsewhere for food.Special Features:
- CommentNanandTerryDined on 5/15/2014The review tool on open table does not seem to be working for "noise level", and it was an important aspect of the experience. This is a very noisy restaurant and not for anyone wanting a quiet or romantic dinner. Food excellent, service fast, very convenient to boston garden for show or sporting event. Just depends what you are up for.Special Features:
- A gem near the TD Garden!ChelseaDined on 5/15/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner and appetizer. The waiter was outstanding! Great wine suggestion. Fun atmosphere and a very short walk to the TD Garden--a perfect dinner before our concert. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yumemilymaineDined on 5/9/2014Our waiter was friendly and the service was speedy. The noise level was loud, but expected as it is a big open room. The roasted veg salad was delicious! Best sweet potato fries in town.Special Features: