5910-147 Duraleigh Rd
Raleigh, NC 27612Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.warajirestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9197831883x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar
A word from Waraji Restaurant
Waraji Restaurant is considered by many Triangle residents as having the best and freshest sushi available in the area. This sushi restaurant located near Crabtree Valley Mall in Raleigh, NC serves Japanese entrees as well and is open for lunch and dinner. Waraji is the winner on many best of awards for sushi and Japanese cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Waraji Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
12 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (9)neighborhood gem (6)special occasion (5)great for lunch (5)good for groups (3)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)notable wine list (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Some of the best sushi in the area!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2014I've never been disappointed when dining at Waraji. While I wouldn't recommend it for a quite, romatic dinner for two, the casual environment, friendly and attentive service, and excellent sushi makes this a great spot for most any other occassion.Special Features:
- First Time, pleasantly surprisedRaccoonloverDined on 9/10/2014This was a cute place. We made a reservation for 6:30 on a Wednesday and I'm glad we did! It had plenty of space when we got there but then quickly filled with what appeared to be a regular crowd - who started before we got there and people added to the tables, staying past when we left. This quickly filled the restaurant. Food was recommended as the best sushi in Raleigh. I don't know if I'd agree but it was definitely really good, probably in the top 10. Service was good without being overbearing. At the end, we attempted to use a gift card specifically given to us for Waraji and when it didn't work we panicked, but our server was great at coming up with the possible issue and troubleshooting. Overall a good experience.Special Features:
- took me back to JapanRabbitGirlDined on 8/25/2014Having just come back from Kyoto and Osaka, I was so happy to find all the flavors of Japan. Everything was fantastic - the green tea, the udon, the ramen, and the sushi!Special Features:
- Okay sushi restaurantDeigerDined on 8/14/2014The sushi and sashimi were pretty standard. It wasn't bad but it didn't wow me away. Is reasonably priced for the quality you'll be getting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi in RaleighTexansnowDined on 7/2/2014Still the best sushi in Raleigh, and hard to beat no matter where you go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best quality sushi/sake in TriangleTacoToddDined on 7/1/2014Waraji may not be the best looking restaurant but the sushi is amazing in terms of quality and the sake selection is unmatched. I have really enjoyed my visits there and suggest you make the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014Wonderfully fresh and delicious seafood. Been going there for years now and have never been disappointed. Friends from out of town are also impressed by the quality of the food. Waraji is my favorite restaurant. It's consistently clean and tasty. It's good for both special occasion or just dinner or lunch out.Special Features:
- The following 100 reviews are from the Waraji Restaurant reviews archive.
- Mother's Day LunchJBH2VIPDined on 5/11/2014Great dining experience at Waraji as we normally experience. Excited to see them open for Lunch and Dinner on Sunday's now. Many times we've wanted to dine on Sunday's and they were closed. The best sushi in the Triangle!Special Features:
- good sushiDisappointedDined on 5/8/2014food good, service good, friendly host, sushi came out quickly. the spicy mayo is unbelievable. Need to sell saki by the glass.
- Great service!RisikaDined on 5/8/2014I received great service while at Waraji for dinner. The food was good and there was plenty of it for the price. Seating is close to other parties - can sometimes be loud.Special Features:
- Great food great timeLuvJapeneseFoodDined on 4/10/2014My 10 year old chose Waraji for his birthday dinner - that says a lot! Our family loves the little raised rooms where you can dine on the floor in a traditional style. The food was really excellent. One of my son's favorites is gyoza, and I think that we had the best gyoza in Raleigh at Waraji. We also had sushi, sashimi, chicken teriyaki, and udon - all were great! Our waitress was perfectly attentive as well. We had great food and a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently best sushi in TriangleTCWilsonDined on 4/1/2014Waraji never disappoints - superb sashimi and nigiri, a broad range of classic rolls, and the handful of unique gems (like the Suzuki 500) that you can't find anywhere else. I never hesitate to dine here myself or to host discerning sushi fans from the US or abroad. Waraji is also one of the few restaurants I will happily visit on consecutive nights with no fear of monotony or diminution. It's that good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overall the restaurant wasOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/17/2014overall the restaurant was ok..the sushi wasn't bad but was not the greatest that I've had here in Raleigh. I went on a weekday night, so there was not much of a crowd, but the restaurant seemed kind of "dead". The service was very good, but the food was just ok.
- Dinner w/FriendsBirthdayDined on 3/10/2014The first time dining for my husband and son, met another couple who are regulars. The food was fresh, display superb and can't wait to return. Best sushi in Raleigh!Special Features:
- Specialcek123Dined on 2/4/2014I am not a regular visitor and rarely eat Japanese. This is a special restaurant...the freshest of fish, great service, marvelous sake and a friendly, inviting place. So, once a year... I so value having this special experience.Special Features:
- WarajiOkieheelDined on 12/29/2013Great food - more crowded than normal for a week nightSpecial Features:
- Good ramenItzanaVIPDined on 12/27/2013Went for first time at lunch and had really superior tonkatsu ramen. The Sushi Lunch special was OK but nothing special even though some reviews had praised the sushi - may be because this dish just came with the standard types of sushi rather than custom ones available at dinner. In any case, a nice Japanese place at very reasonable prices.
- Best Sushi in the TriangleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/1/2013We always enjoy dining at Waraji. We enjoyed a very nice evening with friends, who I'm sure will become frequent visitors as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience again!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/1/2013This was our third time at Waraji. Once again we loved the food and the service. We eat the sushi and love it. We had fried squid as well that was fabulous. The servers are consistently friendly and efficient. The ambiance/decor could be better for the price, but that is not a concern since the food and service are consistently great. I would recomend this restaurant more for dates or business, but we have been here with a 4 year old and the waitress went out of her way to make her feel welcome, so no need to be afraid to bring your child.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was good exceptejayDined on 6/30/2013Everything was good except waitress urged us to leave. Around 1 hour after we starting, the waitress kept asking us if we need box to take our food. We still had quite a lot food on the table and felt she just want us to check out as soon as possible. Since the restaurant was half empty, this pushing was weird.Special Features:
- Good sushi. Great SakeBennyDined on 6/27/2013Nice place. Large selection of nigiri and sashimi. Somewhat limited selection of sushi rolls, but all items use very fresh ingredients. VERY large selection of sake. Unfortunately not very child-friendly. No kid's menus or low-cost kids dishes. Teriyaki was really the only option for a kid and it was nearly $20.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We usually have lunch hereOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 6/23/2013We usually have lunch here and it is consistently good. This time we had dinner. While the portions were very large, the quality was lacking. I suggest lunch rather than dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but so slow...OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/21/2013Food was great, but service is extremely SLOW! Our lunch order, which was only 4 sushi rolls, took so long that the waitress offered us free soup to tie us over. By the time we were finished, it was a 2-hour lunch! I would recommend this place for their sushi, but don't go unless you have time to wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- #1 Japanese in RaleighOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/26/2013I have been to Japan many times in my life. Waraji is the only Japanese restaurant in Raleigh that represents authentic Japanese food. I am not only referring to the Sushi/Sushimi but also many of the cooked dishes that are made with Soba and Udon noodles. The menu at Waraji offers many items that you don't see in the common "American style" Japanese restaurant. Do not be afraid to try something new. I can assure you that, if you like Authentic Japanese, you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/6/2013My husband I decided to take my mother here for sushi when she visited from out of town. We had heard good things and were excited to try. Unfortunately, we were disappointed and couldn't understand how this place has such rave reviews. The decor is bare and lacking and while we didn't mind - there isn't a full bar which is a disappointment. We weren't that impressed with the sushi. We found it to be average and felt we have been to better. I wouldn't recommend this as I feel there are much better sushi restaurants to try with much better overall ambience.
- Great menu! Prompt, courteoussaraDined on 4/28/2013Great menu! Prompt, courteous service! Absolutely no complaintsSpecial Features:
- We Love Waraji! Have beenC8ter2VIPDined on 4/15/2013We Love Waraji! Have been going there for the past 13 years. Best sushi, hands down, in the Triangle....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Japanese restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/7/2013As a Japanese family who've lived in Raleigh two years, we always enjoy their great Japanese dishes and delicious sushi. Fish/Sashimi is consistently fresh and delicious. Without doubt, the best Japanese restaurant in the area!Special Features:
- Excellent eggplant hors d'oeuvres.OlliecatDined on 3/25/2013Excellent eggplant hors d'oeuvres. Sashimi and sushi dinners were also very good.Special Features:
- Waraji has the best sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/24/2013Waraji has the best sushi in town! And if you want to learn how to make sushi at home you can go to A Southern Season in Chapel Hill to learn from Masa Tsujimura the owner and chef of Waraji. He usually teaches once a quarter.Special Features:
- We had been once before andgarrisonDined on 2/17/2013We had been once before and thought Waraji deserved it's reputation - this time we were sadly disappointed! My husband's sukiyaki was so over cooked the meat was rubbery - two of the sushi rolls were uneatable - one of which was the Tempura roll - the yellowtail tasted as if it had been cooked 3 days prior. On a positive note - the Sweet Dragon roll was fabulous. Would I go back? - no!! There are enough other Japanese restaurants in this area that I won't put my family through that again!
- For Sushi SnobsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/20/2013Excellent food and service. I am a sushi snob. I get to Japan once or twice per year, so I know good fish. I ordered 4 different types of fish, and all were delicious - very fresh, very firm, expertly cut and served in generous portions. Don't go here if your favorite sushi is the volcano roll or some other nonsense. We also had tempura and pork katsu. The katsu was excellent, the tempura was very good. As mentioned the service was very good and prompt. We went on a winter Sunday night, so they were not very busy.Special Features:
- Good in generalAudiearnVIPDined on 1/13/2013Sushi was top notch and one of the best in the Triangle. However, the tempura was lackluster with an underseasoned dipping sauce and a slightly greasy aftertaste. Perhaps it was because we went on a Sunday night. The chefs were friendly and delightful, though, and overall we had a good time.
- Overall very good. Fast, friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/2/2012Overall very good. Fast, friendly service, very clean, excellent food. We were a little dissapointed in menu variety, especially the sushi menu, but the food that was available was delicious.Special Features:
- Great Sushi!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/1/2012Best sushi in Raleigh and there is no close second.Special Features:
- Great for families, couples moresoOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2012This was our second visit to Waraji - first with our 2 year old. Our table was ready and waiting for us and the staff was very gracious and complimentary. The food was tasty as always. The teriyaki chicken, rice, and tempura vegetables were a hit with the little one; the adults enjoyed the sushi. It was a very good idea to make it early for a family outing (we were there right at dinner-time opening).Special Features:
- I really wanted to like thisLaurieVIPDined on 8/8/2012I really wanted to like this place. The menu looks great. We just were not thrilled with the sushi rolls. They tasted kind of fishy. We did enjoy the miso soup, salad, tempera and chicken teriyaki. We still like Mizu the best.Special Features:
- Best sushi in Raleigh....terrificOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/29/2012Best sushi in Raleigh....terrific service.....our favorite!Special Features:
- Rather authenticOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/24/2012Service was great! Drinks stayed filled and waitress showed us how to make the Shabu Shabu better (Japanese-style fondue). If you get this recognize that it says it feeds 2; it actually is for 3 or 4.Special Features:
- We enjoyed a wonderful lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/15/2012We enjoyed a wonderful lunch and excellent service. Waraji is one of our favorite places!Special Features: