Walter Hansel Wine Bistro
3535 Guerneville Rd
Santa Rosa, CA 94501Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Walter Hansel Wine Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.walterhanselbistro.com/
- Phone: (707) 546-6462
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Phillipe Collasse
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Thank you for choosing Walter Hansel Wine Bistro . Should your plans change, please let us know. We look forward to serving you. 6PM Winemaker Special Dinner Event $79 Prix Fixe 5 Course Dinner Menu Please Visit Our Site for Course Descriptions *Limited Seating Availability*
A word from Walter Hansel Wine Bistro
French Wine Bistro in Santa Rosa.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Walter Hansel Wine Bistro - Best Restaurants in Santa Rosa ›
Walter Hansel Wine Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
89 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (67)neighborhood gem (52)notable wine list (42)special occasion (37)romantic (24)good for groups (10)scenic view (4)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Perfect for a wine country weekendOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/21/2014A weekend wine tasting always calls for a delicious dinner. Walter Hansel Bistro was definitely that. My French boyfriend said it was one of the best boeuf bourguignons he has ever had. The lobster bisque was incredible, as was everything really. The staff is super attentive and friendly, and even though it's a pretty high end place there was a refreshing lack of pretention. The ambiance is warm with plenty of French provençal touches. And the amuse bouche and extra little touches here and there are the icing on the cake. It was easy to get a table here now, but I am betting it doesn't stay that way for long!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous find!AnnaVIPDined on 11/20/2014We traveled to Sonoma from Atlanta for a long weekend and were careful to pack in only the highest quality dining and wine tastings. We love Walter Hansel wines and heard that this bistro was good. This is in a quaint small setting which along with the attentive and knowledgable waitstaff resulted in the perfect Friday night dinner birthday celebration. The menu was filled with interesting items and everything we ordered was fabulous! The French country fare was authentic and delicious. If we lived nearby we would definitely make this a regular place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/19/2014We're never disappointed when we dine here. The food is wonderful, it's cozy and quaint and the service is exceptional. I'd venture to say that this is the best restaurant in Santa Rosa. Love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful experience and wonderful evening.DianeVIPDined on 11/14/2014This was our first time eating here after new ownership. This turly is like a French bistro. The decoartions, lighting, table placement, the service, the wait staff were all excellent. Each person greeted us warmly, fully explained the menu, were generous about requested changes and specifics. The flavors were delicately blended for each dish and the food presentation was beautiful. The wine special was delicious. As the room was filled, the noise level became a little intense. The whole restaurant is small in scale.The pricing was moderate to expensive, but appropriate. They only serve dinner, and have no facility for outdoor dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistro in the vineyardsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/14/2014We celebrated a belated wedding anniversary here and it was our first time at Hansels. Although the wood paneling and packed dining area can make the noise level a bit much, overall its the great preperation and delightful service that will have us come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food, but quite pricey.SusanDined on 11/14/2014A group of six of us, celebrating a birthday, went for dinner. Pleasantly surprised to find a new place relatively close to home. I'd definitely return but probably only for very special occasions. A little pricey for my budget ahd others with me. But still want to emphasize how wonderful the food was, especially the rack of lamb. The dinner plate could have had a larger vegetable portion. The attention by staff was superb even though the restaurant was crowded. A nice touch that the owner came by and introduced himself. GSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Food at a Wine BistrordegoliaVIPDined on 11/8/2014Walter Hansel Bistro's food was really surprising. It was terrific. I expected good wine at reasonable prices and an opportunity to taste through the Walter Hansel offerings. I was surprised to find an excellent and varied wine list, but I was really surprised to find terrific food. We were even welcomed, after we were into our meal, by Stephen Hansel, the owner of the Bistro and Winery. An overall delightful experience. We will return.Special Features:
- Exquisite FoodVivbabyDined on 11/8/2014Food was delicious, service was spectacular, ambiance was warm and inviting. We had the special of beef burgundy and the hanger steak. Both were fantastic, as were the simple but delicious bib salad and the squash soup. We ended the meal with outstanding creme brulee. And, they top the meal off with a complimentary dessert wine. Lovely! We will be going again to try the duck breast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For the price you can do better.mnksrDined on 11/7/2014Very quaint older restaurant, tables are close together and noise level is quite high. Wait staff is very attentive. Special steak dinner was not so special, seafood dishes were served luke warm. Food is mediocre, hard to talk with others in your party. Wine is very good.
- Walter Hansel Makes the GrademarshajDined on 11/2/2014We first visited this restaurant right after it opened. It was suffering from the usual issues of a new place. It certainly has improved. Menu was large and varied, food was delicious and hot when served. Enjoyed the lobster bisque especially. Meal in itself. Nice touches with a treat from the chef to start and choice of after dinner night caps. Both gratis. My husband loved the beef stew and our companions had the muscles and fresh fish on the 3,course prix fixed menu. Worth the drive in Sonoma County.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All was very good except...MicheleDined on 10/31/2014My husband was the only one who ordered coffee. He always has a double espresso, but he said this time it was awful. Our dessert, floating island, was excellent, and the boeuf bourguignon delicious. We'll be back!Special Features:
- ScottE-SallyEScottESallyEDined on 10/31/2014This small bistro in the countryside west of Santa Rosa, a remodeled longtime roadhouse near Somoma County's vineyards, has been open a year. Responding to glowing reviews, we had dinner there last weekend. It was busy and for good reason. The atmosphere is charming and understated, the menu French but accessible, the wine wine extensive, the service friendly and knowledgable, the food spectacular. We had lobster bisque, beef bourguignon and a marvelous dessert accompanied by Hansel's own reasonably priced pinot noir. We'll be back often and soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a special occasion indeedJohnHVIPDined on 10/24/2014went there for my birthday and had an awesome time. everyone in my party was treated like royalty and the food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise SurpriseZoeldarDined on 10/9/2014We visited the Bistro on our anniversary, and were thoroughly pleased with all of the food and drink. Talented chef here...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food loud, crowded roomRedpleaseDined on 10/3/2014The food here is great, Duck, scallops, unique Gaspachio all cooked with artistry and style. The prices are a little high for what you get but the service with the amuse bouch and complementary after dinner drink makes up for that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NASCAR momentsEEEEVIPDined on 10/2/2014The food and service were fine but the state highway that runs directly adjacent to the bistro was about 20 feet from our table. With the window open we were treated to traffic whooshing by at 55+ mph..... unless the traffic light changed. Throughout dinner I was concerned about motorists more focused on texting than driving while speeding by!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like a charming European bistro.FoodForThoughtDined on 9/28/2014Attentive service, comfortable setting, small but excellent food & wine selection, very good value. Had an early seating & was greeted by the owner himself. Really made to feel welcome & appreciated by the staff. A neighborhood high school student provided the evening's entertainment with a couple of short opera numbers - unexpectedly delightful. Lighting's not great; would have liked a small candle on the table (my only criticism). Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the tripNGM1022Dined on 9/25/2014While the ambiance and service were good at Walter Hansel Bistro, we were less than thrilled with the food. We ordered a special appetizer of chanterelle mushrooms and fingerling potatoes. Sounded interesting but when the warm appetizer arrived, all we could taste was butter. There was no hint of mushroom flavor anywhere in this dish. Perhaps that was intended... We then ordered a seafood platter and chicken breast for entrees. The seafood plate was good; steamed shellfish sitting on a bed of ice. But the chicken entree, described as "mousseline stuffed chicken breast" had no flavor. The predominant taste of the entire plate, green beans and mashed potatoes included, was BUTTER!! Will not be returning.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Bravo Walter Hansel! What a great addition to Sonoma County. The food was superb, well-priced and the little extra touches made it especially nice. The duck confit salad was fantastic. So were the frites. Only regret....wish they were open for lunch.Special Features:
- Food - fantastic; forgot us earlyGaryDined on 9/19/2014Once we got past a little mix up with our table the rest of the evening was great. Really think they have improved the vibe over the old ZaZu which occupied the location previously. The food was delicious. the wines were reasonably priced, especially the pinots from Hansel. the waitress brought us a tasting of each so we could make a decision since we had not previously tried Hansel wines.Special Features:
- Memorable Anniversay DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2014excellent food, wine and service. We will be back oftenSpecial Features:
- A nice transitionJohnHVIPDined on 9/17/2014housed in the former Zazu building, this little bistro does an excellent job of wine-country dining. Althought the vegetarian menu selections are scant, the kitchen has always been very accommodating in preparing seasonal, local vegetarian dishes.Special Features:
- Fabulous foodmyvueDined on 9/14/2014Once again we brought guests here and as usual it went beyond their expectations. The food was delicious, the presentation gorgeous, great service. It is good for special occasions and any time you want a great meal and to feel pampered. We're fortunate to live nearby, so we can enjoy it often.Special Features:
- Great Find!BonnieVIPDined on 9/13/2014What a surprise to find this very authentic French restaurant in rural Sonoma County. Wonderful food, excellent wines, and lovely service. Can't wait to return!Special Features:
- Knows good food1935SFredDined on 9/13/2014Not our first time here, we would not be repeaters unless the restaurant is GREAT!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014enjoyed the entire experience. will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at Walter Hansel's BistrosebastopolfoodieDined on 9/6/2014The four of us enjoyed our dinner at Walter Hansel's Bistro. The WH Pinot Noir is very good and the appearance of the meals was delightful. We especially enjoyed the desserts and the perfect finish, a glass of sauterne or port, rounded off the meal very well indeed.Special Features:
- Will come againLeonDined on 9/6/2014The food was a bigger hit the first time we were there….so will definitely try again.Special Features:
- Great place for our anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/4/2014We went on Sept 4, 2014 to celebrate our 16th anniversary. Overall we had a lovely time. Friendly service and pretty good food. For starters our party of 4 had the Salmon Rillette, Gazpacho, Oyster Cebiche, and Warm Oyster Shigouku. All were tasty and interesting. The Oyster dishes each came with 5 Oysters. The Warm Oyster dish edged out the Cebiche as our favorite of the two. In the Cebiche the citrus overwhelmed the taste of the Oyster but was overall still a successful dish. The Gazpacho preparation was quite remarkable and different. This was the favorite starter among the 4 of us. It came with two scallops on the side and they were cooked to perfection. The Salmon Rillette was extremely flavorful as well, but a bit too salty. The serving size was also quite large. For entrees 3 of our party ordered the Halibut and I ordered the Duck Breast. The duck was cooked sou vide and then finished (I believe under a salamander). The duck was flavorful but I was disappointed that the skin didn't crisp up as the waitress said it would. The Tromboncino squash puree, compressed Frog Hollow Farm peach, fingerling potatoes, hibiscus gastrique, Chanterelle mushrooms that came with the duck were outstanding. The Halibut dish was unexpectedly very rich, with the Gratin Savoyard, Bloomsdale spinach, crispy onion ring, and "beurre blanc". One of the Halibut was slightly overcooked but not enough to send back. All three diners reported that the Halibut was also a successful dish. For dessert, we had the Valrhona Chocolate Mousse. It was a nice rich dark chocolate and paired nicely with the complementary dessert wine. We will be back in the future to try some of their other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good RestaurantMyntjuliusDined on 9/4/2014The Hansel Bistro has a nice atmosphere that remains unchanged from previous incarnations. The chef creates delightful flavors, but presentations could be improved upon to make the dining experience more pleasurable. The complimentary "amuses" are a nice touch, and prices are moderate for an upscale experience. Would not hesitate to return.Special Features:
- neetzDined on 8/31/2014We had a wonderful dinner. Great service. The mussels were done perfectly. The wine that was suggested paired nicely. We enjoyed our dinner and will be returning.Special Features:
- knows good food1935SFredDined on 8/31/2014Second time here, WONDERFUL in every respect!!!! I had the special, the butter lettuce was as refreshing as I make it at home, my salmon was cooked to perfection and the strawberry dessert was A-1. My husband and our guest started with Oysters on half shelf, soooo good that my husband ordered a 2nd plate & shared it. I am not sure what they ordered for the mains, but whatever it was they had smiles.Special Features:
- AAAAVIPDined on 8/30/2014Lovely restaurant! Wonderful people. It was a bit warm even with the ceiling fans going. Otherwise, a delightful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine DiningDandGDined on 8/29/2014We had Dinner here at WHWB on Friday night and enjoyed two of the Special Dinners (Salmon and Rack of Lamb). Both were very tasty and well prepared. They use the SousVide cooking method which we have cooked with ourselves and found it to be very good method. The finishing of the dish after the SousVide cooking was very nicely done in both cases and nicely presented on the plates. Salad and Dessert were excellent. Had a bottle of the WH Pinot which was very nice also.Special Features:
- TerrificLeviDined on 8/28/2014Great food, wine made by Hansel and staff we will return again and againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect night out except for...santarosadiner2Dined on 8/24/2014The noise from Guerneville Road. There's just no way around it. The food was superb, the servers were knowledgeable and friendly, the wine was delicious. We had a lovely, slow paced meal and since we are locals, we will be back!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014It was a great experience! Very friendly and lively! The food was delicious and the menu was interesting. It was great to taste a few of their wines....very good. We will definitely go there again!! Just a bit noisySpecial Features:
- Excellent all around!Intrepid828VIPDined on 8/17/2014The staff bent over backwards to accommodate our change in reservation despite a full dining room. While we waited at the bar, owner Steve Hansel poured our group some wine (on the house) and made us feel very welcome. I highly recommend the halibut and lamb...generous portions with lots of flavor. Large by the glass selection of Walter Hansel wines. I will definitely be back to this neighborhood gem! Thanks Team Walter Hansel!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really EnjoyedmosseeVIPDined on 8/16/2014For a birthday dinner we arrived a little early. We had a reservation but clearly Saturday night was a busy time with, I guess, a good deal of walk-ins. Despite being early we were directed to the bar and offered a complimentary drink as we waited for our table. That is a first for me and set off an evening of good service. the food was delicious, fresh local ingredients and a superb wine list all at reasonable prices. A return is definitely on the cards.Special Features:
- knows good food1935SFredDined on 8/16/2014Our dining experience overall was perfection, one felt transported to a real French Bistro. The small cucumber infused starter was superb, my melon starter was excellent, next I had a bibb lettuce salad with goat cheese that I could have ordered twice over, then came disappointment dishes, the chicken was somewhat dry and the apple tart, the apple topping was lovely with whip cream with a mint leaf. The tart shell was tough and had to be cut with a sharp knife, so much so that we simply ate the delicious apples and gave up on the pastry. My husband had oysters which he said were the best he has ever had followed by the mussel dish - he was a VERY HAPPY man until the apple tart which I have already covered. Would we go back? YES!!Special Features: