Walter Hansel Wine Bistro
3535 Guerneville Rd
Santa Rosa, CA 94501Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Walter Hansel Wine Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.walterhanselbistro.com/
- Phone: 7075466462
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Phillipe Collasse
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Thank you for choosing Walter Hansel Wine Bistro . Should your plans change, please let us know. We look forward to serving you. 6PM Winemaker Special Dinner Event $79 Prix Fixe 5 Course Dinner Menu Please Visit Our Site for Course Descriptions *Limited Seating Availability*
A word from Walter Hansel Wine Bistro
French Wine Bistro in Santa Rosa.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Walter Hansel Wine Bistro - Best Restaurants in Santa Rosa ›
Walter Hansel Wine Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (67)neighborhood gem (46)notable wine list (45)special occasion (38)romantic (29)scenic view (9)good for groups (9)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (2)great for brunch (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- Surprise SurpriseZoeldarDined on 10/9/2014We visited the Bistro on our anniversary, and were thoroughly pleased with all of the food and drink. Talented chef here...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food loud, crowded roomRedpleaseDined on 10/3/2014The food here is great, Duck, scallops, unique Gaspachio all cooked with artistry and style. The prices are a little high for what you get but the service with the amuse bouch and complementary after dinner drink makes up for that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NASCAR momentsEEEEVIPDined on 10/2/2014The food and service were fine but the state highway that runs directly adjacent to the bistro was about 20 feet from our table. With the window open we were treated to traffic whooshing by at 55+ mph..... unless the traffic light changed. Throughout dinner I was concerned about motorists more focused on texting than driving while speeding by!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like a charming European bistro.FoodForThoughtDined on 9/28/2014Attentive service, comfortable setting, small but excellent food & wine selection, very good value. Had an early seating & was greeted by the owner himself. Really made to feel welcome & appreciated by the staff. A neighborhood high school student provided the evening's entertainment with a couple of short opera numbers - unexpectedly delightful. Lighting's not great; would have liked a small candle on the table (my only criticism). Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the tripNGM1022Dined on 9/25/2014While the ambiance and service were good at Walter Hansel Bistro, we were less than thrilled with the food. We ordered a special appetizer of chanterelle mushrooms and fingerling potatoes. Sounded interesting but when the warm appetizer arrived, all we could taste was butter. There was no hint of mushroom flavor anywhere in this dish. Perhaps that was intended... We then ordered a seafood platter and chicken breast for entrees. The seafood plate was good; steamed shellfish sitting on a bed of ice. But the chicken entree, described as "mousseline stuffed chicken breast" had no flavor. The predominant taste of the entire plate, green beans and mashed potatoes included, was BUTTER!! Will not be returning.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Bravo Walter Hansel! What a great addition to Sonoma County. The food was superb, well-priced and the little extra touches made it especially nice. The duck confit salad was fantastic. So were the frites. Only regret....wish they were open for lunch.Special Features:
- Food - fantastic; forgot us earlyGaryDined on 9/19/2014Once we got past a little mix up with our table the rest of the evening was great. Really think they have improved the vibe over the old ZaZu which occupied the location previously. The food was delicious. the wines were reasonably priced, especially the pinots from Hansel. the waitress brought us a tasting of each so we could make a decision since we had not previously tried Hansel wines.Special Features:
- Memorable Anniversay DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2014excellent food, wine and service. We will be back oftenSpecial Features:
- A nice transitionJohnHVIPDined on 9/17/2014housed in the former Zazu building, this little bistro does an excellent job of wine-country dining. Althought the vegetarian menu selections are scant, the kitchen has always been very accommodating in preparing seasonal, local vegetarian dishes.Special Features:
- Fabulous foodmyvueDined on 9/14/2014Once again we brought guests here and as usual it went beyond their expectations. The food was delicious, the presentation gorgeous, great service. It is good for special occasions and any time you want a great meal and to feel pampered. We're fortunate to live nearby, so we can enjoy it often.Special Features:
- Great Find!BonnieVIPDined on 9/13/2014What a surprise to find this very authentic French restaurant in rural Sonoma County. Wonderful food, excellent wines, and lovely service. Can't wait to return!Special Features:
- Knows good food1935SFredDined on 9/13/2014Not our first time here, we would not be repeaters unless the restaurant is GREAT!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014enjoyed the entire experience. will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at Walter Hansel's BistrosebastopolfoodieDined on 9/6/2014The four of us enjoyed our dinner at Walter Hansel's Bistro. The WH Pinot Noir is very good and the appearance of the meals was delightful. We especially enjoyed the desserts and the perfect finish, a glass of sauterne or port, rounded off the meal very well indeed.Special Features:
- Will come againLeonDined on 9/6/2014The food was a bigger hit the first time we were there….so will definitely try again.Special Features:
- Good RestaurantMyntjuliusDined on 9/4/2014The Hansel Bistro has a nice atmosphere that remains unchanged from previous incarnations. The chef creates delightful flavors, but presentations could be improved upon to make the dining experience more pleasurable. The complimentary "amuses" are a nice touch, and prices are moderate for an upscale experience. Would not hesitate to return.Special Features:
- neetzDined on 8/31/2014We had a wonderful dinner. Great service. The mussels were done perfectly. The wine that was suggested paired nicely. We enjoyed our dinner and will be returning.Special Features:
- knows good food1935SFredDined on 8/31/2014Second time here, WONDERFUL in every respect!!!! I had the special, the butter lettuce was as refreshing as I make it at home, my salmon was cooked to perfection and the strawberry dessert was A-1. My husband and our guest started with Oysters on half shelf, soooo good that my husband ordered a 2nd plate & shared it. I am not sure what they ordered for the mains, but whatever it was they had smiles.Special Features:
- AAAAVIPDined on 8/30/2014Lovely restaurant! Wonderful people. It was a bit warm even with the ceiling fans going. Otherwise, a delightful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine DiningDandGDined on 8/29/2014We had Dinner here at WHWB on Friday night and enjoyed two of the Special Dinners (Salmon and Rack of Lamb). Both were very tasty and well prepared. They use the SousVide cooking method which we have cooked with ourselves and found it to be very good method. The finishing of the dish after the SousVide cooking was very nicely done in both cases and nicely presented on the plates. Salad and Dessert were excellent. Had a bottle of the WH Pinot which was very nice also.Special Features:
- TerrificLeviDined on 8/28/2014Great food, wine made by Hansel and staff we will return again and againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect night out except for...santarosadiner2Dined on 8/24/2014The noise from Guerneville Road. There's just no way around it. The food was superb, the servers were knowledgeable and friendly, the wine was delicious. We had a lovely, slow paced meal and since we are locals, we will be back!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014It was a great experience! Very friendly and lively! The food was delicious and the menu was interesting. It was great to taste a few of their wines....very good. We will definitely go there again!! Just a bit noisySpecial Features:
- Excellent all around!Intrepid828VIPDined on 8/17/2014The staff bent over backwards to accommodate our change in reservation despite a full dining room. While we waited at the bar, owner Steve Hansel poured our group some wine (on the house) and made us feel very welcome. I highly recommend the halibut and lamb...generous portions with lots of flavor. Large by the glass selection of Walter Hansel wines. I will definitely be back to this neighborhood gem! Thanks Team Walter Hansel!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really EnjoyedmosseeVIPDined on 8/16/2014For a birthday dinner we arrived a little early. We had a reservation but clearly Saturday night was a busy time with, I guess, a good deal of walk-ins. Despite being early we were directed to the bar and offered a complimentary drink as we waited for our table. That is a first for me and set off an evening of good service. the food was delicious, fresh local ingredients and a superb wine list all at reasonable prices. A return is definitely on the cards.Special Features:
- knows good food1935SFredDined on 8/16/2014Our dining experience overall was perfection, one felt transported to a real French Bistro. The small cucumber infused starter was superb, my melon starter was excellent, next I had a bibb lettuce salad with goat cheese that I could have ordered twice over, then came disappointment dishes, the chicken was somewhat dry and the apple tart, the apple topping was lovely with whip cream with a mint leaf. The tart shell was tough and had to be cut with a sharp knife, so much so that we simply ate the delicious apples and gave up on the pastry. My husband had oysters which he said were the best he has ever had followed by the mussel dish - he was a VERY HAPPY man until the apple tart which I have already covered. Would we go back? YES!!Special Features:
- First but not last visitVicspicsDined on 8/15/2014Great building, host and food. Service was perfect. Our new special occasion place.Special Features:
- Great food great serviceRedpleaseDined on 8/15/2014What a great new spot in the west county! The food was great! Their take on prosciutto and melon was different and tasty. The scallops were perfect. The service was friendly and spot on. And the complementary dessert wine was a great touch! Highly recomended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/15/2014Recommended by a foodie friend and we were not disappointed. Service was excellent. Our waiter guided us per our request and he was right on. Delicious food from beginning to end. Lovely presentation but the flavors were outstanding. Really enjoyed the gazpacho and then the halibut. Looking forward to visiting again.Special Features:
- samgladSamiDined on 8/14/2014Excellent food, very attractively presented. We also received top notch service. A very pleasant dinner experience!:Special Features:
- Very nice casual-plus spotCleanyourplateVIPDined on 8/9/2014The food here is very good (everything was interesting, except for the duck breast which was good, but nothing special). The service was excellent and the welcome upon entering was warm. In part the place feels casual, in part it feels a bit more upscale than that (because of the French on the menu? Because of the amuse bouche starter or the port/sauterne choice after dinner?). It was slightly pricey, but we had an enjoyable evening and will return.Special Features:
- disappointedSally47Dined on 7/31/20145 women went to dinner and no one thought the food was worth the price. Wine prices are too high.
- FABULOUS!!!FirstTimeDined on 7/25/2014This is our new favorite restaurant. The food was fabulous and our server, Sharon, was knowledgable about the food and of course very friendly!! We can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favoritesWayneDined on 7/25/2014The place has a lot going for it. The food is absolutely the best! There is a charm to the inside of the restaurant as it is very open. The staff as so attentive and very friendly.Special Features:
- Excellent!One of the best in SonomaJerryVIPDined on 7/23/2014We really enjoyed ourselves! Food was exceptional. Tomatoes Gazpacho was "as good as it gets", Le Atlantic Maine Halibut was cooked perfectly. They serve their estate grown wine is very nice. Prices are very reasonable for the quantity and quality. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!Foodmonster5Dined on 7/23/2014Very lovely experience! Service was wonderful from beginning to end. Went mid week for the $30 and it was delicious! I'll be back next week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lawrence AmaturoLawrenceADined on 7/23/2014My wife & I had a wonderful experience. Started with a very warm greeting from the GM, a nice selection of specials, very generous pours of Hansel's Sauvignon Blanc, and a bowl of steamed mussels. Our entrees were as good as can be. No fuss to the food. Ingredients on the dishes are paired rather than just thrown together with 30 others. . .it allowed to enjoy the quality. We look forward to our next visit. Thanks. LawrenceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very special country experience!PPFanDined on 7/19/2014This unpretentious country bistro is loaded with surprises. The assorted hand-crafted cheeses, creative fresh fish dishes, homemade ice creams and sorbets and custom wine flights featuring recent Walter Hansel releases put this intimate spot on our must-do list on every visit to the Russian River. Jason welcomed us like old friends and Fred guided our tour of the on-site vegetable garden after dinner. The Bistro's atmosphere is comfortable and casual, but the food is creative and elegant. We look forward to our next experience at this hidden wine country gem.Special Features:
- Excellent ServiceNettahDined on 7/18/2014We had a very attentive and wonderful server named Sharon. She was knowledgeable with the menu and gave us great recommendations when we didn't know what we would want to order. This is definitely is a diamond in a ruff. Quiet little spot on the corner (almost missed it) but the view from the dinning area was breath taking. Thank you for a wonderful evening. I will definitely send my guests here!Special Features:
- Noise levelOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/18/2014We enjoyed our food & the service very much. However, we don't especially like sitting at a table along a bench with neighbors on top of you. Also, when a group of 7 people came in it got extremely noisy. Other than that it was definitely fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.