Walter Hansel Wine Bistro
3535 Guerneville Rd
Santa Rosa, CA 94501Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Walter Hansel Wine Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.walterhanselbistro.com/
- Phone: 7075466462
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Phillipe Collasse
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Thank you for choosing Walter Hansel Wine Bistro . Should your plans change, please let us know. We look forward to serving you. 6PM Winemaker Special Dinner Event $79 Prix Fixe 5 Course Dinner Menu Please Visit Our Site for Course Descriptions *Limited Seating Availability*
A word from Walter Hansel Wine Bistro
French Wine Bistro in Santa Rosa.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Walter Hansel Wine Bistro - Best Restaurants in Santa Rosa ›
Walter Hansel Wine Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (59)special occasion (46)notable wine list (42)neighborhood gem (30)romantic (28)scenic view (10)good for groups (5)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- TerrificLeviDined on 8/28/2014Great food, wine made by Hansel and staff we will return again and againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect night out except for...santarosadiner2Dined on 8/24/2014The noise from Guerneville Road. There's just no way around it. The food was superb, the servers were knowledgeable and friendly, the wine was delicious. We had a lovely, slow paced meal and since we are locals, we will be back!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014It was a great experience! Very friendly and lively! The food was delicious and the menu was interesting. It was great to taste a few of their wines....very good. We will definitely go there again!! Just a bit noisySpecial Features:
- Excellent all around!Intrepid828VIPDined on 8/17/2014The staff bent over backwards to accommodate our change in reservation despite a full dining room. While we waited at the bar, owner Steve Hansel poured our group some wine (on the house) and made us feel very welcome. I highly recommend the halibut and lamb...generous portions with lots of flavor. Large by the glass selection of Walter Hansel wines. I will definitely be back to this neighborhood gem! Thanks Team Walter Hansel!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really EnjoyedmosseeVIPDined on 8/16/2014For a birthday dinner we arrived a little early. We had a reservation but clearly Saturday night was a busy time with, I guess, a good deal of walk-ins. Despite being early we were directed to the bar and offered a complimentary drink as we waited for our table. That is a first for me and set off an evening of good service. the food was delicious, fresh local ingredients and a superb wine list all at reasonable prices. A return is definitely on the cards.Special Features:
- knows good food1935SFredDined on 8/16/2014Our dining experience overall was perfection, one felt transported to a real French Bistro. The small cucumber infused starter was superb, my melon starter was excellent, next I had a bibb lettuce salad with goat cheese that I could have ordered twice over, then came disappointment dishes, the chicken was somewhat dry and the apple tart, the apple topping was lovely with whip cream with a mint leaf. The tart shell was tough and had to be cut with a sharp knife, so much so that we simply ate the delicious apples and gave up on the pastry. My husband had oysters which he said were the best he has ever had followed by the mussel dish - he was a VERY HAPPY man until the apple tart which I have already covered. Would we go back? YES!!Special Features:
- First but not last visitVicspicsDined on 8/15/2014Great building, host and food. Service was perfect. Our new special occasion place.Special Features:
- Great food great serviceRedpleaseDined on 8/15/2014What a great new spot in the west county! The food was great! Their take on prosciutto and melon was different and tasty. The scallops were perfect. The service was friendly and spot on. And the complementary dessert wine was a great touch! Highly recomended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/15/2014Recommended by a foodie friend and we were not disappointed. Service was excellent. Our waiter guided us per our request and he was right on. Delicious food from beginning to end. Lovely presentation but the flavors were outstanding. Really enjoyed the gazpacho and then the halibut. Looking forward to visiting again.Special Features:
- samgladSamiDined on 8/14/2014Excellent food, very attractively presented. We also received top notch service. A very pleasant dinner experience!:Special Features:
- Very nice casual-plus spotCleanyourplateVIPDined on 8/9/2014The food here is very good (everything was interesting, except for the duck breast which was good, but nothing special). The service was excellent and the welcome upon entering was warm. In part the place feels casual, in part it feels a bit more upscale than that (because of the French on the menu? Because of the amuse bouche starter or the port/sauterne choice after dinner?). It was slightly pricey, but we had an enjoyable evening and will return.Special Features:
- disappointedSally47Dined on 7/31/20145 women went to dinner and no one thought the food was worth the price. Wine prices are too high.
- FABULOUS!!!FirstTimeDined on 7/25/2014This is our new favorite restaurant. The food was fabulous and our server, Sharon, was knowledgable about the food and of course very friendly!! We can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favoritesWayneDined on 7/25/2014The place has a lot going for it. The food is absolutely the best! There is a charm to the inside of the restaurant as it is very open. The staff as so attentive and very friendly.Special Features:
- Excellent!One of the best in SonomaJerryVIPDined on 7/23/2014We really enjoyed ourselves! Food was exceptional. Tomatoes Gazpacho was "as good as it gets", Le Atlantic Maine Halibut was cooked perfectly. They serve their estate grown wine is very nice. Prices are very reasonable for the quantity and quality. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!Foodmonster5Dined on 7/23/2014Very lovely experience! Service was wonderful from beginning to end. Went mid week for the $30 and it was delicious! I'll be back next week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lawrence AmaturoLawrenceADined on 7/23/2014My wife & I had a wonderful experience. Started with a very warm greeting from the GM, a nice selection of specials, very generous pours of Hansel's Sauvignon Blanc, and a bowl of steamed mussels. Our entrees were as good as can be. No fuss to the food. Ingredients on the dishes are paired rather than just thrown together with 30 others. . .it allowed to enjoy the quality. We look forward to our next visit. Thanks. LawrenceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very special country experience!PPFanDined on 7/19/2014This unpretentious country bistro is loaded with surprises. The assorted hand-crafted cheeses, creative fresh fish dishes, homemade ice creams and sorbets and custom wine flights featuring recent Walter Hansel releases put this intimate spot on our must-do list on every visit to the Russian River. Jason welcomed us like old friends and Fred guided our tour of the on-site vegetable garden after dinner. The Bistro's atmosphere is comfortable and casual, but the food is creative and elegant. We look forward to our next experience at this hidden wine country gem.Special Features:
- Excellent ServiceNettahDined on 7/18/2014We had a very attentive and wonderful server named Sharon. She was knowledgeable with the menu and gave us great recommendations when we didn't know what we would want to order. This is definitely is a diamond in a ruff. Quiet little spot on the corner (almost missed it) but the view from the dinning area was breath taking. Thank you for a wonderful evening. I will definitely send my guests here!Special Features:
- Noise levelOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/18/2014We enjoyed our food & the service very much. However, we don't especially like sitting at a table along a bench with neighbors on top of you. Also, when a group of 7 people came in it got extremely noisy. Other than that it was definitely fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014Finally!!!!! A good restaurant on the west side of Santa Rosa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Personalized service, fabulous foodKimBDined on 7/12/2014We were welcomed by name (well, we were the only group of 5 checking in), promptly seated, and promptly served. The shellfish "plate" was outstanding--my girls loved it and polished that off along with a single order of the cheese plate (which we should have ordered 2). My husband had the duck gizzard salad, and loved it. Everything had multiple layers of flavors. The staff were friendly, made suggestions without being overbearing, and super responsive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice!HealdsburgerVIPDined on 7/12/2014Really delicious food and a lovely setting. So nice to have real French style cooking. Thank you, Chef, for coming to the wine country! Love the duck rillettes. The 3 of us were delighted with our dinners.Special Features:
- fabulous foodmyvueDined on 7/11/2014We had family visiting from Europe and felt this would be a good choice for them. We were not disappointed, every part of the meal was outstanding. What a delight to have such a great restaurant just 15 minutes from home. We were just as pleased as the first time we ate there for my husband's birthday. It's just hard deciding on which entree to select-they are all wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Backyard World AwayInWineTruthDined on 7/11/2014Take a road trip to the middle of Russian Valley vineyards to find the gem that is W. Hansel Wine Bistro. The old Zazu location has been reinvented, revitalized and offers a world of inspired and wonderfully rendered dishes that can take you away as you overlook pristine neighborhood vineyards to another place. A small, but effective wine list, dominated by the quality W. Hanzel brand, of course, can complement any dish offered to enhance and dish that comes out of the efficient kitchen. Attentive staff only added to our enjoyment. Like MacArthur, 'we will return'.Special Features:
- Great Dining Experience1oldmanDined on 7/10/2014My wife and I invited out of town guests for dinner. Our experience was a memorable experience, f the wait staff was attentive and efficient, the dinner was not only a visual experience but all our meals were were prepared to perfection. The wine list is extensive and well chosen. To top it all off both the coffee, the dessert and the complimentary aperitif were excellent. Although a little pricy it is worth every cent.Special Features:
- Great dinnernovtomDined on 7/10/2014We(two senior couples) went for an early mid week dinner and were surprised to find a three course special_excellent bib salad, flank steak and superb strawberry dessert for just $29…we expected and found the food to be excellent but were pleased with the reasonable price . Excellent wine list but $10-$13 per glass. Young singer performed but was hampered by noise level - during one piece the background music was not even turned off. We will return.Special Features:
- Great Wine Country French BistrojimrDined on 7/3/2014My wife and I had an anniversary dinner at Hansel last week and it was very very good. The food and service were excellent and if you are a Pinot lover, look no further. The wines are excellent quality at a reasonable price. The restaurant is located out in the countryside which gives it a nice feel, this is a wine country gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dining experienceZenerbopDined on 7/3/2014We had tried to dine at Walter Hansel on multiple occassions but life got in the way. The wait was well worth it. We loved every part of the meal. Our waiter knew we were celebrating our wedding anniversary and sent out a complimentary wine flight to sample. Prior to receiving dessert we were offered a digestif compliments of the house. Loved everything! We will be repeat customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply DeliciousRAofSRVIPDined on 7/2/2014From start to finish our dining experience was simply perfect. Great seat by the window looking out to the vineyards, attentive service throughout the entire meal (above and beyond service with excellent reccomendations), delicious seafood, asteak, soups, salads. Dessert was fabulous, pistachio gelato puffs in chocolate sauce and a meringue with cream and ginger finished with a fun white dessert wine and port. I would give the restaurant a 10 and the genuine staff an 11, Bravo.Special Features:
- Excellent experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014My fiance and I had our first French dining experience here at Walter Hansel. We explained to the Waiter that we required some tutorial to French cuisine and he walked us through each course of the meal and paired an excellent wine. A really great experience at the end of vacation. The bill didn't break the bank either, and the portions were appropriate. Nothing but high marks!Special Features:
- Walter Hansel Bistro reviewarn2dineDined on 6/29/2014Walter Hansel Bistro is a gem!!! It starts the moment you arrive and are greeted by Fred. The wait staff is knowledgeable and very helpful. The food is outstanding. Walter Hansel Bistro is about making people happy.....Special Features:
- Enjoyable Spur of the Moment ChoiceKAK2VIPDined on 6/20/2014An enjoyable evening with good food and service. The romaine salad, mussels, and Mary's chicken were very good. Sampled their wines. Only concern was having to google many of the words in the menu. Didn't learn French in my engineering schools.Special Features:
- NetteDined on 6/18/2014This place was a wonderful find! The food and service was exceptional. We had a party of four and all our dishes were amazing. Meeting the chef was special. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Loved our eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/18/2014We were celebrating our 48 wedding anniversary and really enjoyed the wonderful food, their great wines and the special touches. We've been looking for a good place for sea food and our sea bass was just what we wanted. We will be back soon and often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedLooking4greatDined on 6/14/2014This was our second time at the restaurant. The first time all of our meals were outstanding! This time, the food was good but not nearly as good as we had hoped it would be. We were disappointed because it was a special occasion amd wanted something special. Our friends were quite happy with their meals. The service was great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Hiiden Gemjazzgirl1Dined on 6/7/2014Walter Hansel Wine Bistro is a wonderful place for a "wine country" dinner. Unpretentious, gracious service and excellent food. We started with a Chicken Gizzards Salad and a cold asparagus soup w/ garlic flan. My husband and I split the Rib Eye (20 ounces!) which came with thin, crispy fries and a small medley of grilled veg; pearl onions, mushrooms and asparagus tips. We ended our dinner with a perfect lavender crème brulee. A bottle of the Hansel Pinot Noir was tasty. My only complaint would be the lack of lower priced reds on the wine list. The least expensive choice was $50 which is a little steep for locals like us. Service was friendly and attentive. I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Run, Don't Walk...CelesteVIPDined on 6/6/2014...to this terrific new neighborhood gem. The service was warm and friendly and every single bite of the food was a joy. Chef Philippe Colasse was eyes and hands on every single plate that left the kitchen. Can't wait to share it with all our out-of-town friends and make a regular visit to this wonderful bistro with our local neighbors as often as possible. What a find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday at Walter HanselCarrieDined on 6/6/2014The food was astounding, the service very good. We felt the wine list offered only VERY expensive choices. The corkage fee for the first bottle of wine ($15) was reasonable, however a charge of $25 for the second bottle we felt was excessive. That being said, we WILL visit them again.Special Features:
- Good food but heavy on potatoesDoglovindinerDined on 6/6/2014We had a very nice meal and all the food was very good. Got a little adventurous and had the lamb tongue salad which was very tasty (and two of us are not land people). All of our entrées were very good (chicken, flat iron steak, corvina fish) but we felt a little heavy on potatoes. The lamb tongue salad had a German potato salad on the bottom, the steak came with pomme frittes, the chicken came with homemade chips and the fish came with a gratin. With that, we would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.