Walnut Street Grill
631 Walnut Street
Cincinnati, OH 45202Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Walnut Street Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jeffruby.com/
- Phone: 5132410707x200
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Monday-Friday 11AM-2PM; Dinner Monday-Thursday 5-10 PM; Dinner Friday & Saturday 5-11 PM; Happy Hour Monday-Thursday 5-7 PM; Happy Hour Friday 4-7 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Michael Henson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us for details.
- Private Party Contact: Kathy Davis 5137234454x108
A word from Walnut Street Grill
Adding to a long list of award-winning eateries, Walnut Street Grill is Jeff Ruby’s newest restaurant. Located in the heart of Downtown Cincinnati’s Backstage District, WSG is a moderately-priced, casual American restaurant serving familiar comfort food. The food is recognizable from the simple yet memorable fare we all grew up enjoying. Dishes like Chicken Pot Pie and the city’s best burgers are all prepared in a way that conjures warm memories.Continued
Walnut Street Grill. Comfort food. Prepared like nobody’s business.
Walnut Street Grill. Comfort food. Prepared like nobody’s business.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Walnut Street Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
- We got there only to readDossVIPDined on 7/6/2012We got there only to read on the door that they shutdown the prior Saturday.They could have called us or emailed us.Tacky!
- We absolutely love the foodJLKKRDined on 6/22/2012We absolutely love the food every time we dine here. We drive 30 miles for just the hamburgers and the other menu items are very good as well. The restaurant was very busy for our most recent visit, so the service was slower than we experienced in the past, but although we had longer waits between visits from the waiter, he was extremly helpful - providing tastes of the beer before we ordered, making suggestions, etc...Special Features:
- I used to go to Walnut StreetAndyDined on 6/22/2012I used to go to Walnut Street Grill once a week, but it had been a while so I decided to take my girlfriend out for dinner. The service was great and the food was amazing as always. My one and only complaint and dissatisfaction was with the menu change. Apparently it happened 4 or 5 months ago but it had completely changed and they took off many key items that I remember loving. Nonetheless I would definitely recommend Walnut Street Grill to anyone.
- I had never eaten here soOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/16/2012I had never eaten here so didn't know what to expect. Made reservations through open table. Never waited a minute once we arrived. Server had great recommendations (the Mahi Piccata was delicious) and the salads were huge and tasty! The friendly chef actually came by our table to ask us how things were, and a manager also stopped by our table to check in. We couldn't believe how good the experience was and made a promise to one another we would return here again soon!
- Bread was very good. GoatOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/9/2012Bread was very good. Goat cheese and cranberry salad was excellent. My husband enjoyed his Mahi Piccata. My burger had a good flavor, but was not hot off the grilll. It was lukewarm at best.Special Features:
- The service was a little light.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/9/2012The service was a little light. It seemed like our server was dealing with too many tables, leading to some delays putting our order in, but the food was great. I got the filet, which was really tasty. The vegetables that came with my entree were outstanding, as were the deviled eggs as an appetizer.Special Features:
- Worth a visitOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/7/2012Restaurant wasn't very busy for a Thursday evening. Service was excellent, food really good. Our group had the seared scallops, beef short ribs and chicken pot pie. Tried them all--scallops and short ribs definite keepers, creative presentation and accompaniments, great flavor throughout the dishes. Chicken pot pie was good--just not as special as the other two entrees. Thin mint pie for dessert was light and refreshing. Chef stopped by the table for an enjoyable 5 minute visit where he answered questions about the menu and asked for feedback on our dinner. A very genuine and likable guy. We enjoyed the good food in a very non- pretentious atmosphere. Prices felt very fair for the quality of the meal.Special Features:
- Food and service were excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/7/2012Food and service were excellent. This was our second time at the Walnut St. Grill and we have never been disappointed. The cheesecake brownie is outstanding.Special Features:
- Good ChoiceG60601Dined on 6/1/2012This is a nice place when you want something nice but not too expensive. I think the service and menu are great, although the drinks are a little pricey.Special Features:
- We dined at 6pm on a FridayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/1/2012We dined at 6pm on a Friday night with a group of 8 family members including 2 over 80 yrs old. Staff was polite, friendly and attentive from the valet, hostesses, bartenders, to the waiter. The appetizers and entrees looked good and tasted great. Relaxed no rush atmosphere. No complaints from anyone!Special Features:
- The food was delicious andLuv2dineVIPDined on 6/1/2012The food was delicious and the portions large. Server was well informed and attentive. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Menu was limited . Would haveJodyDined on 5/25/2012Menu was limited . Would have liked a few sandwich options at dinner other than burgers. Burger a bit overcooked for medium. Salads excellent. Great , attentive service. Will return for sure.Special Features:
- Food was too expensive forCaseyDined on 5/25/2012Food was too expensive for what we ordered. We ordered two different entrees and they both were cooked well done when ordered medium. Sent one order back which came out correct the second time. Would like to see all drinks half-price, not just martinis during happy hour.
- Dined at WSG before SmartNannyDined on 5/24/2012Dined at WSG before Smart Talk at the Aronoff and it was GREAT! My friend and I declared our WSG burger was the best burger we had ever eaten. Our server, Jessica, was friendly, attentive and efficient. I asked for cucumber for my water and she made the extra effort and got it for me. The manager stopped by to make sure everything was good and asked if we needed anything else. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Must try Mac 'n Cheese!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/24/2012A neighbor gave me a $100 gift card for Walnut Street Grill and I hadn't been, so was excited to try it! I invited my best friend, who is a big foodie, to join me. Let me just say Jeff Ruby did not disappoint. Our waitress, Stephanie, was beyond wonderful, as well as the servers. The atmosphere was upbeat, and the food...well, it was awesome. Their Mac 'n Cheese is something I bet you've never tasted anywhere else, and I mean that - it's a must try. We also had the Bruschetta which was also a different take and was delicious. We both ordered Filet's and I requested some sauteed mushrooms (not on menu) and they happily obliged given they had the product on hand. Will definitely go back and spread the word...highly recommend!Special Features:
- Great Ambiance for casual dining!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/22/2012Walnut Street Grill was a neat place to go either before an event or after. We were there to celebrate a birthday before a Reds game and the service was very good and very efficient in the timing. We were all very pleased with our burger choices and had enjoyed the brusheta appetizer. We loved the ambiance of the place right down to the rest rooms, they are a "must see".Special Features:
- Great Business LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/22/2012A very nice casual place fo a business lunch. Service was great! The staff was friendly and exceptionally helpful. Everyone in our party had a salad - the salads were large, fresh and outstanding! Overall, terrific experience.Special Features:
- Pay attention to the details......OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/17/2012The construction around this place ruins the feel. The service was good. I got the burger with the egg on it. It was good. the place seems noisy to me.
- The food and service was excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/16/2012The food and service was excellent. Great place to go before a show!Special Features:
- We told our server we wereTobyDined on 5/16/2012We told our server we were going to the theater and he made sure our service was appropriate to get us our in time. When we left he said "enjoy the show" - that kind of service is remembered.Special Features:
- Good but overly impressedDavidBDined on 5/12/2012Good overall, thought the fries and sweet potato tots could be a little more upscale. Hamburgers were very good. Waitresses didn't know Reds were playing when I ordered a bucket of beer (reduced price) eventhough all large screen TV's had the game on and Reds were playing at home. Food menu did seem a little pricey.Special Features:
- Great location for pre theaterEatoutfunVIPDined on 5/12/2012Great location for pre theater dining. Scallops were great along with steak. Loved the key lime and cheesecake dessertsSpecial Features:
- As always great service, secondOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2012As always great service, second time eating here - not happy with food or menu selection!Special Features:
- Walnut Street Grille is aOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/12/2012Walnut Street Grille is a great place - food is excellent, service is spectacular and the overall experience could not be better.Special Features:
- Food taste and quality wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2012Food taste and quality was outstanding. Great, friendly service.Special Features:
- WSG closed recentlyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2012Enjoyed our few dining visits and happy hours. Burgers were large and juicy. Shame the building has had so much turnover.Special Features:
- Our group had a very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/7/2012Our group had a very nice lunch. The service was great and we did not feel rushed at all. There was a complimentary fudge brownie and ice cream that was absolutely DELICIOUS! My sister really enjoyed her birthday lunch at the Walnut Street Grille. We will definitely go back again!Special Features:
- Third time here and have beenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/5/2012Third time here and have been to other ruby restaurants numerous times....menu was changed, very little selection compared to two previous times, lamb was horrible...tasted like shredded beef with a lot of fat on it, filet was good..spinach with both meals VERY bitter. Freddie not on menu, asked for it and received, but not like the past...very little bacon and dressing. Service was horrible ...seated right away, server was confused acting...didn't come to table for about 5 minutes at least for drink order.....overall BAD...won't ever go back.
- Great food, but average service...OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/4/2012My husband and I had been to WSG before with a group of friends for drinks, so we decided to go back to try dinner. It was a Friday evening, and while there were a steady stream of diners coming and going, the restaurant was nowhere near full. We were seated right away, but it took several minutes for our server to ask for our drink order and even longer to come back for our dinner order. The food was delicious and arrived quickly, but we had to flag the server down for drink refills. She also brought out a basket of fresh bread just as we were finishing up our meal, which was puzzling. Dinner conversation was very difficult as there was loud background noise where we were seated. A bit pricey, considering service--hoping this was a fluke.Special Features:
- We were with another coupleOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/3/2012We were with another couple to have dinner before going to The Arronoff Center. We were approached by our waiter shortly after arriving but the longer we were there the less we saw of him. The manager did stop at our table. The choices were satisfactory. My meal was very tasty and nicely presented. After we started to eat our meal we noticed that the volume of noise in the room had increased very noticeably. At least 15 young girls had been seated in the center of the dining room and we could no longer hear the couple seated across from us or my husband seated next to me. This group should have been placed in a private room in our opinion. We left as soon as we finished our meal to have drinks elsewhere in quiet.
- We had a 6:15 reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/2/2012We had a 6:15 reservation for 4. One arrived at 6:15, and the other 3 arrived about 6:25. Our waiter knew that we were going to the Aronoff for an 8:00 show. Three of us ordered soup and salad, and one ordered the pot pie. We were not actually served our food until 7:25, and we had to eat very quickly in order to make the show on time. While the food was delicious, it took way too long to serve soup and salad, even with the pot pie. We have eaten here before and not had a problem, but this was a bit much, to wait an hour for our food. I would recommend it, but would caution about timing. I don't know if we will try it again before a show next year.
- I was very disappointed inOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/1/2012I was very disappointed in my dinning there. The food had a taste that was not very good. The broccoli had a weird taste to it. The service was as bad as the food. They sat us in the bar lounge and the Bartender who was servicing us was more focus on doing other things at that more and did not check on us and we had to try and get her attention to come over when we need her. She would leave before I finish speaking and would say hold on, I was not finish. She did not offer us dessert and even as we sat, was not interested if this was our first time or not. I was surprise of the bad service and food because their sister restaurant, Jeff Ruby food and service was excellent. The decor of the it was good and enjoyed the colored lightsSpecial Features:
- Great location and excellentBronxboy1951Dined on 4/28/2012Great location and excellent menu. Creative dishes and fresh fruit and vegetables!Special Features:
- Wife had the goat cheese cranberryOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/27/2012Wife had the goat cheese cranberry salad along with the sea scallops. The salad was drenched in dressing and not in a good way and her scallops were rubbery. I had the short ribs and they were very good. Service was good but our server kept pushing what he said would be best for us to try. Not up to the usual "Ruby" quality.
- The decor was very nice.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/26/2012The decor was very nice. Service was very good. Food was very good. The prices were a little high, but for downtown, they were reasonable. The bruscheta appetizer was exceptional. Enjoyed our visit very much.Special Features:
- Great value for lunch or dinner.MikePVIPDined on 4/23/2012Great value for lunch or dinner. Great flavor combinations.Special Features:
- I had a delicious dinner-OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/21/2012I had a delicious dinner- the Mahi Piccata was AMAZING. Others in our group had good meals as well. One of the best dinners out in a long time. Made a reservation at 8:00 pm and we were seated at 7:45 pm. The restaurant was not very crowded so we easily ate dinner within 2 hours. Not sure WHY the restaurant was not crowded. Every other place downtown was packed. We were all a little surprised at the lack of patronage.Special Features:
- My date had food allergiesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/21/2012My date had food allergies and our waiter was very knowledgeable of the ingredients. He talked to the chief and they made a small change to a dish just for her. Great experience.Special Features:
- We had reservations at 7:30.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2012We had reservations at 7:30. I guess the most important is the food we were served was delicous and perfectly cooked and seasoned. The problems were that they ran out of their signature dish, the pot pie, at seven-thirty. We were not told this until after we had waited at least thirty minutes for our appetizer(which was eventually comped it was so late). Since my wife had to then make a new dinner decision at this point, it was another twenty to twenty-five minutes to get our dinners. It over an hour when finally received her pork chop and my plate of three scallops. I had three drinks, the wife had two and including the comped appetizer our bill came to $91. I don't see a return for this type of service at this price.
- Please get rid of the smokingenjoyeditVIPDined on 4/20/2012Please get rid of the smoking upstairs in the outside area !Special Features: