Walnut Grill - Fox Chapel
911 Freeport Rd.
Pittsburgh, PA 15238Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Walnut Grill - Fox Chapel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.walnutgroverestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4127824768
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm Happy Hour: Daily from 5:00pm - 7:00pm, 9:00pm - 11:00pm Late Night Menu: Daily from 9:00pm till close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Executive Chef Brian Simpson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: We have TouchTunes so you can play whatever music you like! Our bar also has a MegaTouch Aurora game center that is sure to entertain for hours! HAPPY HOUR: Currently we offer two times for Happy Hour! From 5-7 Happy Hour includes a $5. appetizer menu, $3 draft beer, $3 house wines, and $3 Pinnacle Vodka Drinks! From 9-11 Happy Hour consists of 1/2 price pizza's, 1/2 price boneless wings!
- Special Events: DAILY DRINK SPECIALS: SUNDAY: $3 Sangria; MONDAY: $3 Craft Drafts; TUESDAY: $3 Captain Morgan Drinks; WEDNESDAY: 1/2 Price Bottles of Wine; THURSDAY: 1/2 Price Martini's; FRIDAY: $3 Sweet Tea Vodka; SATURDAY: $4 Long Islands!
A word from Walnut Grill - Fox Chapel
Come experience Walnut Grill - Fox Chapel, in its new state of the art facility! Here at Walnut Grill we offer delicious American cuisine with exceptional fresh seafood prepared by our Corporate Executive Chef Randy Simpson. The modern atmosphere of our bar and lounge area makes us the perfect destination to bring a date and enjoy one of our specialty martinis or distinct craft beers. Our full bar is equipped with multiple large screen TV's and can accommodate you and your friends when you are watching your favorite sports team! Or you can come to celebrate your next special occasion in our dining room! If you would like, we also offer dining on our outdoor patio that is sure to make your dining experience with us exceptional! Delicious food, gracious energetic service and our upscale ambiance is designed to please every diner! We accept reservations for our dining room and banquet dining room, our patio and lounge area's are seated on a first come first serve basis.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Walnut Grill - Fox Chapel reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (22)great for outdoor dining (21)fit for foodies (14)special occasion (14)good for groups (13)great for lunch (13)kid-friendly (11)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (6)great for brunch (6)romantic (5)hot spot (3)notable wine list (3)Show More
- DisappointingRobertDined on 10/25/2014The host/hostess apparently cancelled our reservation rather than checking us in so we had to contact the manager a few days later to get our points. Had to ask the waitress for a water 3 times. My wife's fish was cold in the middle - and all the courses came way too quickly. Could have been spaced out better. Wont be back - don't consider this an open table-caliber restaurant. On a positive note, when I contacted the restaurant to inquire about the reservation being cancelled I was transferred to the manager (Scott) - he was very responsive - contacted open table immediately and informed them that we had in fact dined that evening, and called me back within 15 minutes. A few minutes later I had my points in my account.
- Solid ValuejuanjoDined on 10/24/2014My wife had cocktails and appetizers. Three appetizers will easily feed two normal people. I recommend the Ahi Tuna and the Smoked whiskeys cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant ExperienceMaryKayDined on 10/23/2014Requested a round table for the six of us. They were able to accommodate us. Server was very friendly and service was excellent. Our meals were really good, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceTheSeeker0Dined on 10/9/2014My companion and I had a lovely dinner at The Walnut Grill in Fox Chapel We were seated at once and our server was Johnny on the spot asking our drink preferences.. The French Onion Soup was outstanding, the flavor was just as I expected. We both had the crusted Flounder along with sides of sweet potato and vegies. All in all the food was very tasty, and was more than Marilyn could eat.. She took the excess home for a nice dinner the next night.. All the food was perfectly cooked and was very, very tastyolkiiiSpecial Features:
- Great nightlovethefoodVIPDined on 10/8/2014We had a great dinner. The beet salad is outstanding and we enjoyed our entrees. Salmon Balsamico and Filet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chefmomDined on 10/4/2014pleasant atmosphere, nice menu with lots of nice options, good serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentPatrickDined on 10/3/2014I know what I am getting with Walnut Grill. Good food, good service, fair price. Consistency should be a metric of all restaurants and this is high quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited coffee!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/1/2014We eat dinner at this restaurant one to two times per week. We've never had this waitress. We were excited to sit on the heated patio. Things were really disappointing when the waitress kept forgetting the 1st cup of coffee after my companion finished his beer. She finally brought the cup of coffee. She brought the check while we were finishing dinner. She never came back to the table even after we were waiving attempting to get her attention as she replenished her own beverage at the outside bar. It was so terrible that we had to adjust her tip cutting it in half.....
- Always excellent!!!LittleDebbieDined on 9/21/2014Always excellent food, drinks, and service. Wonderful experience every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewanniversaryDined on 9/13/2014The service was great, we were celebrating our 17 year anniversary, the food was incredible, except for 2 surprising finds for such a great place. In my wife's side salad was a lettuce core, about an inch and a half long, pretty hard to miss. We had a carmelized walnut ice cream ball for dessert, it had a strawberry on the edge of the bowl. The strawberry looked like it had been frozen and then thawed. It was a deep ruby red color, darker than a 'good' strawberry looks and should not have been used for a garnish. It took away from the look of the dessert, which was delicious. Overall the meal was fantastic, but somebody overlooked 2 things that take away from your perfection. Your owner would not have been happy. Quality ControlSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, great service!pghkidDined on 9/10/2014Went to Walnut Grill for the first time with a friend. The server, Kimmy, was very attentive and friendly. She had great recommendations and the food was delicious! It was very hard to choose from the large selection of entrees. I will definitely be back with my better half!Special Features:
- Great Dinner!RickDined on 9/2/2014Went to dinner on a Tuesday evening. Facility undergoing renovations, so the ambiance score is not really reflective. Food was very good, and the waitress was very attentive and efficient. The ahi tuna appetizer was outstanding, as was the stuffed shrimp entree. my guest was in need of a gluten free menu, which was available and had a variety of choices. For some unknown reason, the restaurant closed and hour before it's posted closing time. There were several people still in the bar area.Special Features:
- Really Enjoyed ItPgheastsideDined on 8/23/2014The food was excellent. Many options. Would go back again. Only complaint is the chairs are really uncomfortable. I would request a booth next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2014We love WG but Sunday buffet was disappointing this time having potato salad? and no breadI would recommend this to a friend.
- Good was fair, service was great!Kori22VIPDined on 7/24/2014I had lettuce wraps & my friend had the BBQ chicken flatbread! Food was good, but not great! However, our waitress was friendly & loved the outdoor dining!Special Features:
- Friday Night PleasurefrequentfridaydinerDined on 7/18/2014I dined at Walnut Grove on a Friday evening in July and was lucky to be seated outside. Not sure why that adds to the ambiance, but was terrific on a summer evening. The food was delectable and the server was friendly and efficient. This might have to go on my list of favorites. I'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2014Just ok. Pricey for quality of food. We had crab cakes & stuffed shrimp. Server was attentive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2014Great place. Consistently good food and service and a courteous staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 324 reviews are from the Walnut Grill - Fox Chapel reviews archive.
- Excellent service and food.maestro06Dined on 6/30/2014Phenomenally outstanding Server, service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Outdoor DinnerGoodServicePleaseDined on 6/28/2014We always head to the Walnut Grill in Fox Chapel when we want to have dinner or lunch outside. Lots of tables in the open or under cover if its raining. Nice service and good food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/25/2014Always consistent. Food is good and great for large groups and for kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great fooddivinedineDined on 6/20/2014Great food. Adequate service. Never greeted. Nice corner booth.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as beforeLincsMAMADined on 6/17/2014I don't know what's going on there, but the last two times we have gone, we've been less than pleased. This time the server got snippy with me when I asked her about Kids Eat Free on Tuesdays. I saw it on their website, told her this, and she went all on to how she's worked there for a year and a half and they never did that. Then, I brought it up on my phone, she talked to her manager, and then came out and told me they'd take my son's meal off and acted like they were doing me a favor. "We'll take it off THIS time." It's on their website!! (It may not be since this, but it was there!). I don't think we'll be back.Special Features:
- Always solidScottVIPDined on 6/7/2014Although the decor in the main dining room is outdated compared to their bar look/feel, the Walnut Grill is always an excellent spot to grab a bite. Taste, interesting food; friendly, professional staff; easy parking. All-in-all, just a great spot for dinner.Special Features:
- Nice place for dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014We made reservations so were seated immediately. Though we waited a little longer than one would expect for someone to come to our table after being seated (there were 4 of us) Our waitress was very apologetic and offered a free dessert to the table to make up for the wait. The food was fantastic, appetizers (deep fried pickles, which I personally don't like but the others enjoyed them, artichoke dip and fried provolone were both amazing) Our entrees were served in an appropriate amount of time and were all very good. The flourless chocolate cake we all shared was delicious!Special Features:
- Always a great experienceDateNite2Dined on 5/30/2014Had a wonderful dinner (specials are alway exceptional). Elise is always very accommodating & offers perfect service. We look forward to a few outdoor evenings in the summer.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/30/2014Service was oh my gosh crazy slow. "Sorry! (Smile) We're really busy!" ... But this isn't the first Friday that you have experienced since you opened. And while the kitchen may be busy, that doesn't mean, old plates cannot get cleared, and water glasses get refilled, and heck, a slow kitchen is a great opportunity to sell more drinks! But no. None of those things happened. We like Walnut Grill a lot and we will be back. But because you are busy and we are supposed to understand, at the same time, you do not charge us less ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good food and servicePJaxDined on 5/11/2014My family dines at Walnut Grill at least once a month. The food is always very good, service and atmosphere is also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a great bite.ScottVIPDined on 5/8/2014Food was very good. Prices are great for the quality. Service is charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food keeps me coming backScottVIPDined on 5/3/2014Usually, once a restaurant expands to multiple locations, it loses it's shine. But the consistently creative and tasty food at the Walnut Grill keeps it worth visiting again. The Blackened Salmon BLT sandwich is one of Pittsburgh's most intriguing treats. On top of that, the service is (usually) very good. Walnut Grill is well worth putting in your restaurant rotation.Special Features:
- Can't think of oneSincereDined on 4/26/2014Overall everything was okay but food was somewhat spicy.Special Features:
- Great Spot!PghErinDined on 4/26/2014This was our first time here and we were very happy with everything about our visit. The food was delicious, and our server was great, and very patient with our rowdy 1 year old. We will definitely be back!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/25/2014Fis h Tacos were not good. Fish was a pile of mush.
- Terrific meal and serviceDeedeeDined on 4/22/2014Always have a wonderful meal here. Service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salads with Salmon were great..gmertVIPDined on 4/12/2014We both enjoyed our salads topped with grilled salmon. Overall a great lunch and not much to complain about except the outdoor patio was not openned for the season yet and the long island iced tea on the drink special was not to my liking. Otherwise we really enjoyed it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LacklusterVivoDevineVIPDined on 4/6/2014Brunch was average, at best. For 17.00, you can get better quality at any number of local eateries. that said, nothing was bad just boring an uninspired.
- First timeFirsttimer1Dined on 4/5/2014First time we visited. Had two younger children with us. Adult food is fabulous. Kids menu is standard, but food quality for kids is definitely above average. Nice to see a higher end restaurant that is kid friendly. Parents and kids can get a great meal. Food didn't come out in a timely manner, which is my only complaint, but our order went in after a large party. Wouldn't have bothered us if we didn't have the kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kimmie was a wonderful server.marycderuDined on 4/1/2014Kimmie was a wonderful server. We had a quesadilla appetizer that was divinely different. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good lunchnasardDined on 3/31/2014Had lunch with a group of people. All was good; food, atmosphere, service. Everyone enjoyed. Would recommend for others and will make return trips. Prices were slightly above where I expected but the quality fo the food made that point moot. I never mind paying the price if the food is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place. Food is deliciousCJANEDined on 3/29/2014Love this place. Food is delicious and prices are reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.