Walnut Grill - Fox Chapel
911 Freeport Rd.
Pittsburgh, PA 15238Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Walnut Grill - Fox Chapel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.walnutgroverestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4127824768
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm Happy Hour: Daily from 5:00pm - 7:00pm, 9:00pm - 11:00pm Late Night Menu: Daily from 9:00pm till close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Executive Chef Brian Simpson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: We have TouchTunes so you can play whatever music you like! Our bar also has a MegaTouch Aurora game center that is sure to entertain for hours! HAPPY HOUR: Currently we offer two times for Happy Hour! From 5-7 Happy Hour includes a $5. appetizer menu, $3 draft beer, $3 house wines, and $3 Pinnacle Vodka Drinks! From 9-11 Happy Hour consists of 1/2 price pizza's, 1/2 price boneless wings!
- Special Events: DAILY DRINK SPECIALS: SUNDAY: $3 Sangria; MONDAY: $3 Craft Drafts; TUESDAY: $3 Captain Morgan Drinks; WEDNESDAY: 1/2 Price Bottles of Wine; THURSDAY: 1/2 Price Martini's; FRIDAY: $3 Sweet Tea Vodka; SATURDAY: $4 Long Islands!
A word from Walnut Grill - Fox Chapel
Come experience Walnut Grill - Fox Chapel, in its new state of the art facility! Here at Walnut Grill we offer delicious American cuisine with exceptional fresh seafood prepared by our Corporate Executive Chef Randy Simpson. The modern atmosphere of our bar and lounge area makes us the perfect destination to bring a date and enjoy one of our specialty martinis or distinct craft beers. Our full bar is equipped with multiple large screen TV's and can accommodate you and your friends when you are watching your favorite sports team! Or you can come to celebrate your next special occasion in our dining room! If you would like, we also offer dining on our outdoor patio that is sure to make your dining experience with us exceptional! Delicious food, gracious energetic service and our upscale ambiance is designed to please every diner! We accept reservations for our dining room and banquet dining room, our patio and lounge area's are seated on a first come first serve basis.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Walnut Grill - Fox Chapel - Best Restaurants in Fox Chapel ›
Walnut Grill - Fox Chapel reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (23)neighborhood gem (22)special occasion (14)great for lunch (13)fit for foodies (10)kid-friendly (9)good for groups (8)romantic (8)vibrant bar scene (7)great for brunch (6)late-night find (5)hot spot (3)notable wine list (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- ReviewanniversaryDined on 9/13/2014The service was great, we were celebrating our 17 year anniversary, the food was incredible, except for 2 surprising finds for such a great place. In my wife's side salad was a lettuce core, about an inch and a half long, pretty hard to miss. We had a carmelized walnut ice cream ball for dessert, it had a strawberry on the edge of the bowl. The strawberry looked like it had been frozen and then thawed. It was a deep ruby red color, darker than a 'good' strawberry looks and should not have been used for a garnish. It took away from the look of the dessert, which was delicious. Overall the meal was fantastic, but somebody overlooked 2 things that take away from your perfection. Your owner would not have been happy. Quality ControlSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, great service!pghkidDined on 9/10/2014Went to Walnut Grill for the first time with a friend. The server, Kimmy, was very attentive and friendly. She had great recommendations and the food was delicious! It was very hard to choose from the large selection of entrees. I will definitely be back with my better half!Special Features:
- Great Dinner!RickDined on 9/2/2014Went to dinner on a Tuesday evening. Facility undergoing renovations, so the ambiance score is not really reflective. Food was very good, and the waitress was very attentive and efficient. The ahi tuna appetizer was outstanding, as was the stuffed shrimp entree. my guest was in need of a gluten free menu, which was available and had a variety of choices. For some unknown reason, the restaurant closed and hour before it's posted closing time. There were several people still in the bar area.Special Features:
- Really Enjoyed ItPgheastsideDined on 8/23/2014The food was excellent. Many options. Would go back again. Only complaint is the chairs are really uncomfortable. I would request a booth next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2014We love WG but Sunday buffet was disappointing this time having potato salad? and no breadI would recommend this to a friend.
- Good was fair, service was great!Kori22VIPDined on 7/24/2014I had lettuce wraps & my friend had the BBQ chicken flatbread! Food was good, but not great! However, our waitress was friendly & loved the outdoor dining!Special Features:
- Friday Night PleasurefrequentfridaydinerDined on 7/18/2014I dined at Walnut Grove on a Friday evening in July and was lucky to be seated outside. Not sure why that adds to the ambiance, but was terrific on a summer evening. The food was delectable and the server was friendly and efficient. This might have to go on my list of favorites. I'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2014Just ok. Pricey for quality of food. We had crab cakes & stuffed shrimp. Server was attentive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2014Great place. Consistently good food and service and a courteous staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and food.maestro06Dined on 6/30/2014Phenomenally outstanding Server, service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Outdoor DinnerGoodServicePleaseDined on 6/28/2014We always head to the Walnut Grill in Fox Chapel when we want to have dinner or lunch outside. Lots of tables in the open or under cover if its raining. Nice service and good food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/25/2014Always consistent. Food is good and great for large groups and for kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great fooddivinedineDined on 6/20/2014Great food. Adequate service. Never greeted. Nice corner booth.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as beforeLincsMAMADined on 6/17/2014I don't know what's going on there, but the last two times we have gone, we've been less than pleased. This time the server got snippy with me when I asked her about Kids Eat Free on Tuesdays. I saw it on their website, told her this, and she went all on to how she's worked there for a year and a half and they never did that. Then, I brought it up on my phone, she talked to her manager, and then came out and told me they'd take my son's meal off and acted like they were doing me a favor. "We'll take it off THIS time." It's on their website!! (It may not be since this, but it was there!). I don't think we'll be back.Special Features:
- Always solidScottVIPDined on 6/7/2014Although the decor in the main dining room is outdated compared to their bar look/feel, the Walnut Grill is always an excellent spot to grab a bite. Taste, interesting food; friendly, professional staff; easy parking. All-in-all, just a great spot for dinner.Special Features:
- Nice place for dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014We made reservations so were seated immediately. Though we waited a little longer than one would expect for someone to come to our table after being seated (there were 4 of us) Our waitress was very apologetic and offered a free dessert to the table to make up for the wait. The food was fantastic, appetizers (deep fried pickles, which I personally don't like but the others enjoyed them, artichoke dip and fried provolone were both amazing) Our entrees were served in an appropriate amount of time and were all very good. The flourless chocolate cake we all shared was delicious!Special Features:
- Always a great experienceDateNite2Dined on 5/30/2014Had a wonderful dinner (specials are alway exceptional). Elise is always very accommodating & offers perfect service. We look forward to a few outdoor evenings in the summer.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/30/2014Service was oh my gosh crazy slow. "Sorry! (Smile) We're really busy!" ... But this isn't the first Friday that you have experienced since you opened. And while the kitchen may be busy, that doesn't mean, old plates cannot get cleared, and water glasses get refilled, and heck, a slow kitchen is a great opportunity to sell more drinks! But no. None of those things happened. We like Walnut Grill a lot and we will be back. But because you are busy and we are supposed to understand, at the same time, you do not charge us less ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 315 reviews are from the Walnut Grill - Fox Chapel reviews archive.
- Consistently good food and servicePJaxDined on 5/11/2014My family dines at Walnut Grill at least once a month. The food is always very good, service and atmosphere is also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a great bite.ScottVIPDined on 5/8/2014Food was very good. Prices are great for the quality. Service is charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food keeps me coming backScottVIPDined on 5/3/2014Usually, once a restaurant expands to multiple locations, it loses it's shine. But the consistently creative and tasty food at the Walnut Grill keeps it worth visiting again. The Blackened Salmon BLT sandwich is one of Pittsburgh's most intriguing treats. On top of that, the service is (usually) very good. Walnut Grill is well worth putting in your restaurant rotation.Special Features:
- Can't think of oneSincereDined on 4/26/2014Overall everything was okay but food was somewhat spicy.Special Features:
- Great Spot!PghErinDined on 4/26/2014This was our first time here and we were very happy with everything about our visit. The food was delicious, and our server was great, and very patient with our rowdy 1 year old. We will definitely be back!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/25/2014Fis h Tacos were not good. Fish was a pile of mush.
- Terrific meal and serviceDeedeeDined on 4/22/2014Always have a wonderful meal here. Service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salads with Salmon were great..gmertVIPDined on 4/12/2014We both enjoyed our salads topped with grilled salmon. Overall a great lunch and not much to complain about except the outdoor patio was not openned for the season yet and the long island iced tea on the drink special was not to my liking. Otherwise we really enjoyed it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LacklusterVivoDevineVIPDined on 4/6/2014Brunch was average, at best. For 17.00, you can get better quality at any number of local eateries. that said, nothing was bad just boring an uninspired.
- First timeFirsttimer1Dined on 4/5/2014First time we visited. Had two younger children with us. Adult food is fabulous. Kids menu is standard, but food quality for kids is definitely above average. Nice to see a higher end restaurant that is kid friendly. Parents and kids can get a great meal. Food didn't come out in a timely manner, which is my only complaint, but our order went in after a large party. Wouldn't have bothered us if we didn't have the kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kimmie was a wonderful server.marycderuDined on 4/1/2014Kimmie was a wonderful server. We had a quesadilla appetizer that was divinely different. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good lunchnasardDined on 3/31/2014Had lunch with a group of people. All was good; food, atmosphere, service. Everyone enjoyed. Would recommend for others and will make return trips. Prices were slightly above where I expected but the quality fo the food made that point moot. I never mind paying the price if the food is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place. Food is deliciousCJANEDined on 3/29/2014Love this place. Food is delicious and prices are reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014Walnut Grill was a very good dining experience. Wait staff were helpful and courteous. Prices were a bit higher than expected though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummo!LizzyDined on 3/14/2014Walnut Grill is probably my favorite place to eat...I go there with my husband and with my friends, lunch and dinner. The menu has different items on it, different ingredients, which I love! I haven't had one thing I didn't enjoy. It's a great place!YouSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb BrunchMaresapresDined on 3/9/2014It was my friends birthday and I suggested we come to Walnut Grill. What an excellent brunch. We both had it. I was amazed watching the young man keeping the food table always "stocked" We sat right next to the prime rib/omlette table. I was surprised there weren't two people running the area as the poor young man was doing a difficult task. He did a wonderful job. Although I didn't have the omlette, I did enjoy the prime rib. Excellent. The fish was very tasty. I didn't eat the breakfast items but my friend just loved what she had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday FeaturesMaresapresDined on 3/7/2014I love your menu. It doesn't really adhere to the Lenten followers but you offer a wide variety of dishes where shrimp may be added.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentjemoDined on 3/5/2014Everything was excellent ! Could not have been better!
- Friday Night GangHappyDined on 2/28/20148 of our friends had dinner at Walnut Grill in Fox Chapel on Friday, February 28. We all had very good service and outstanding food. I honestly can't think of any improvements for the evening.Special Features:
- Girls day outMaryDined on 2/21/2014There were just two of us and by coincidence, we once again had Peggi. She is so gracious. We sat in a far corner where my friend and I had some problems we needed to discuss. The food was outstanding. The Greek Pasta with shrimp. Love the shrimp! I had the salad also with blue cheese. The bites of cheese were present and well noted. I did have a take home of the soup, lobster chowder. I was very disappointed. Way too many potatoes and no presence of lobster. I would not order that again. All in all, it was a pleasant experienceSpecial Features:
- Blase FoodpopefishDined on 2/17/2014As a long-time patron of the restaurant, I must say that the food has gone downhill over the past several months. While the service and entrees (filet and halibut} were fine, the beets in the beet salad were diced so fine as to eliminate any taste of them and the sides were cool and tasteless. This is the second unsatisfactory visit in a row. In the past, I often took visiting guests and sizeable parties to the restaurant while it was still the Walnut Grille and the food was fine. I don't know if the closer connection to the parent restaurant has anything to do with it but I won't be visiting again for food unless I hear something that makes me think the quality of the fare has changed.
- Poor service, fair foodDisappointedDinerDined on 2/16/2014While eating out on a late Sunday night with my wife, we had several issues with the service and food. Food that was ordered was never brought and had to be removed from our bill, all the food was entered at once so the main entrees sat under the warmer for a while and it was very obvious, the fish that my wife ordered was very dry with little sauce that was suppose to come with it, the presentation of an ordered dessert to-go was terrible (looked like it was just thrown in a to-go box), and our server had little knowledge of what beers were served and what kinds they were (and did not offer to inquire with the bartender about them). My wife and I were looking forward to a nice night out and I don't know if it could have been worse.Special Features: