344 W. 11th St.
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
Contemporary EuropeanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kg-ny.com/
- Phone: 2123522300x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner served daily: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Sunday Lunch: 11:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: German, Austrian, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Kurt Gutenbrunner (chef/owner)
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
- Catering: Take Wallsé to your event! Please contact Abigail Llido for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Wallsé is available for private rental and large parties. Our back-room seats up to 40 ppl and can be rented privately for a brunch or dinner celebration. The full restaurant is also available for private rental and can seat up to 75 ppl. Our planner can accommodate all of your event needs including food, wine, flowers and menus!
- Private Party Contact: Abigail Llido, Abigail@wallse.com 212-352-2300x12
- Special Events: Wallse is available for large, non-private group dinners as well as for private rental. Please contact Abigail Llido for more information.
A word from Wallsé
Wallsé is a Michelin Starred restaurant which boasts noted chef Kurt Gutenbrunner's signature style - a modern interpretation of classic Viennese cuisine. Two rooms influenced by the tradition of fin di siecle Viennese architecture feature paintings by Julian Schnabel and Abert Oehlen.Continued
Wallsé serves as a neighborhood haunt for West Villagers.
Wallsé serves as a neighborhood haunt for West Villagers.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Wallsé reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (47)special occasion (38)neighborhood gem (37)romantic (32)notable wine list (25)great for outdoor dining (10)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (6)late-night find (5)good for groups (4)hot spot (4)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Service was spectacular.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014My husband and I walked in and immediately felt under dressed as we are used to "California casual." If this bothered the staff they made no notion of it. Service and food were amazing. I am very sad I happen to live on the west coast and can not frequent Wallse more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentKDBDDined on 8/23/2014The menu is quite unique and the food was delicious -- loved the seafood options and my husband loved the meats. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal and we are now planning our vacation to Austria to find more of this delicious food. It was our 1st anniversary and maybe it will become a tradition.Special Features:
- Austrian Wallse Continues to WowIrishfe53VIPDined on 8/20/2014Another memorable early dinner before going to the Village Vanguard for the first set. Pleasant welcome. Sat in the rear larger room which we especially like. Excellent bar tender. Guest raved about her Sazerac. Wallse proudly specializes in Austrian wines but does offer some alternatives including a good bottle of Ridge chardonnay. Cold pea soup amuse bouche was a lovely way to start. Guest enjoyed oysters and a second appetizer which included spaetzle. Older traditionalist raved about his foie gras appetizer with mini brioche and wiener schnitzel. The three of us shared rich Mozart chocolate and beautifully prepared light Salzburger nockerl desserts. We want to return for the 5-course tasting menu where every dish is appealing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wunderbar!NewYorkAllanDined on 8/10/2014Enjoyed a lovely late-night dinner here a few eves ago. The exterior of Wallse is magical, featuring potted branches/shrubs festooned with thousands of tiny lights. Indoors we found terrific, superbly prepared food (try the lambchops; they're simply amazing), great service, relaxing atmosphere. Delectable wine selections too, and perfect recommendations from our waiter. A win-win-win all around.Special Features:
- West village gemOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/29/2014Great food. Weiner schnitzel is addictive. Also the spaetzle and save room for the Vanilla Napoleon with strawberries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/26/2014Excellent and delightful place for a quiet dinner. All of the courses were delicious plus an interesting selection of Austrian wines. Service was first rate. The pea soup with lobster ravioli and red beet terrine were particularly tasty. Allow time for a leisurely meal.Special Features:
- Excellent food and servicebd1976Dined on 7/26/2014Always a great meal here. What's not to like. Pricey, but not stuffy or intimidating. The beet terrine was a delicious surprise, and the mozart kugel was a sumptuous take on the much-loved confection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as I rememberOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014We came here for the first time several years ago and were blown away by the ambience, the service and the creative menu. We recently hosted a dinner for six and, although it was good, it was not great. My halibut was dry, and others in our party didn't finish their meals, indicating they weren't all that happy either. It was expensive, even by NY standards.
- I'm still dreaming about my lobstermerlineatsDined on 7/21/2014When we arrived at Wallse at 7pm on a Monday evening, it was empty, and I was worried. Granted, it wasn't a popular restaurant night, and it was early, but we were the only diners in the room... not a good sign. But my worries were allayed when I tasted the food. I didn't order the staples-- no weiner schnitzel!-- but my tomato and peach salad was delicate and flavorful, and my lobster with cherries and Fava beans was spectacular. I demolished it and sopped up the sweet sauce with my bread. Service was excellent, the Gruner we ordered crisp and terrific. Other diners began to arrive by 7:30, but the room never got too noisy. And by the time we left, the room was at least half full!Special Features:
- MnnyloVIPDined on 7/17/2014Wallse is a West Village treasure and our meal was as great as always.
- Disappointing and overpricedFoodloverDined on 7/15/2014After spending over $420 for three mundane overpriced dishes and a flavorless dessert, we decided to stay for one extra drink. And was then dropped a separate bill for $18.00. It should have been complimentary. The entire experience was disappointing and we will not return.Special Features:
- Great restaurantkk5160Dined on 7/11/2014Wallse is worth the trip out to the outer reaches of west village. Exceptional experience far from the noise and rush of more trendy places. This is the place to go for a real dining experience downtown. Arrived on time, decided to have a drink at the bar first. There was no rush to seat us at the table to get us out within two hours which is more typical for restaurants of this caliber. It helps to be a little out of the way I suppose. As such, I can imagine it easy to reserve a table for large groups. Perfect noise level for actually conversing over a meal, even on a Friday night. They have sidewalk seating too.Special Features:
- Especially fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/6/2014Wallse is exceptional. The food is innovative, very well presented and very, very good. The service is professional: everyone is happy and able to do their job with the correct balance of friendliness and decorum. We asked to have our wine paired with the food and what an excellent job was done. Each time we enjoy dining at Wallse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/6/2014The food was outstanding, the service was excellent,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sudsrichDined on 7/6/2014The food is sensational. Flavor combinations only a great chef would think of. The wine list is heavily Austrian, which makes sense since the restaurant is Austrian. During this summer a must is the heir loom tomatoes and peach salad. Who would have put those flavors together? Also, someone in the kitchen know how to cook fish. Next visit, we'll try the meat side of the menu. Sunday lunch for $39, what could be better. Finish the afternoon with a stroll on the Highline. Perfect.Special Features:
- michaelVIPDined on 7/1/2014really charming and excellent neighborhood place excellent desertsSpecial Features:
- Great Austrian restaurantgbacVIPDined on 6/20/2014Everything is very good, great service, but if you don't like Austrian wine you are in trouble, lack of choice of wine from any other part of the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food1foodforthoughtDined on 6/18/2014There were four people dining and everyone's dish was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OatmealVIPDined on 6/16/2014Excellent fresh food with inventive menu Quiet for a Monday night Expensive but worth it Elegant art filled settingSpecial Features:
- sophisticated and fresh as everOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/15/2014Wallse has been around a while, and I checked in recently to find each dish as fresh and well conceived as the first time. There's a great kitchen with the highest standards that reinterprets some of the staples of Vienna with the viewpoint of a master chef. If you are looking for Grandma's cooking from the "old country", this is definitely not it.......it is something transcendent, yet familiar, with amazing wines and extraordinary service tossed in as an extra. The chef's take on a "Mozart Kugel" is breathtaking; you've got to know what the famous candy tastes like in the first place and marvel at how faithful and entertaining the little prize becomes as your last morsel of a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- upperwestsiderDined on 6/15/2014The food was delicious, but but the portions were tiny. I left the restaurant starving, and that was after filling myself with bread. Both of the asparagus appetizers (I had one, my husband had the other) consisted of two measly stalks -- and asparagus is in season! I can't imagine why they were so ungenerous with this humble vegetable. The Wiener Schnitzel should have been called Tinier Schnitzel.Special Features:
- Lovely RestaurantAEP26Dined on 6/8/2014We enjoyed a very peaceful, sophisticated brunch on an early Sunday afternoon. The food (prix fixe, three course brunch) was wonderful. There was a very nice selection of items in all categories, the food was delicious and beautfully presented, and the wait staff was very accomodating. We will return for dinner.Special Features:
- Good. Nothing else.AdbenyDined on 6/7/2014In general, less than expected. It was not a real Austrian Spaetzel.Special Features:
- Absolutely lovelyPinkMarshmallowDined on 5/31/2014My experience at Wallse couldn't have been any more wonderful. The cocktails I ordered were very tasty, the food was fantastic (really interesting haute cuisine takes on traditional Austrian cuisine), and the service was perfect. My sister and I decided to visit Wallse during our weekend trip to NYC as an early nod in honor of Father's Day (our Viennese father passed away in September), and it was the best choice we made our whole trip. Thank you Wallse!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 5/30/2014This all-in Austrian restaurant is a gem for sure. Excellent and attentative service. The food was magnificent and the wine pairing too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/27/2014We mentioned to the maitre d' (I think he was) that we were soon traveling to Austria. It turned out that he was from Vienna, where we're headed. He wrote a list of Viennese restaurants for us when he had time while we were eating. Very thoughtful and above and beyond what we expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RoostVIPDined on 5/25/2014Creamed spinach, rabbit spatzle and boston lettuce with pumpkin oil / seeds were amazing as always. Can't wait to return!
- Outstanding menujohnDined on 5/24/2014Elegant setting, attentive and knowledgable service, fabulous food. Four of us each ordered different dishes and all were superb.Special Features:
- Good but not greatSloganDined on 5/14/2014The food was good but nothing really stood out as special. I went here about 3 years ago and seem to remember it being much better. I also was very disappointed when I ordered the $11 cheese plate and they brought one that was $28. Although they corrected it, I was very careful to be sure they understood which one I was ordering, so I couldn't help but think this was purposeful. Overall a very good restaurant, but not as special as I had hoped.Special Features:
- a most pleasant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/6/2014surprise that this restaurant has lasted so long with such fine dining. The staff is thoughtful and the food outstandingSpecial Features:
- Good Food. Wine Learning ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/4/2014We splurged on the tasting menu with wine. We knew little about Austrian wines. The wine steward was very very attentive and answered questions about the pairings. Because we each had a tasting menu we got a couple of bites of a dozen things. That included some things like sweetbreads that I have to admit I would not have otherwise ordered. The dish was actually very good. The dishes with spaetzle were amazing. The one thing that let me down a little was the snail ravioli. I expected something with a little more burst of flavor. I kind of lost the snail in the mushrooms. That said, it was a very good meal with wonderful wine. We took our time and enjoyed it for two hours and never felt rushed to move along. Venison was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!LCreviewDined on 5/3/2014My husband is German and he was impressed! We had the 6 course tasting menu and it was excellent from start to finish! We appreciated the sophisticated ambience and enjoyed the whole experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 845 reviews are from the Wallsé reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/2/2014A return visit after a couple of years away revealed still marvelous Viennese food, friendly attentive service, and good Austrian wines. The places deserves its Michelin star.
- Loved my EVERYTHING!ChefKellyVIPDined on 4/30/2014Thanks to the staff for wonderful hospitality and even more amazing cuisine. Dined on Wienerschnitzel and Spaetzle and the Sommeliere recommended a beautiful bottle of wine. I especially adored the restaurant manager very promptly shut down an annoying woman in the corner talking Loudly on her cell speakerphone. Geez!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaguDined on 4/25/2014Food was good, Austrian specialties, but even if we had a reservation at 9pm they kept us waiting till 9:40 before we got seated.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/25/2014There have been some innovations made to the menu standards, and, while the originals were great, the new versions are even better. This place deserves to be as successful as it is. it is not resting on its well-earned laurels.Special Features:
- Wallsé delivers...FeedMeVIPDined on 4/12/2014Wallsé consistently delivers great service and wonderful food. It is a true dining pleasure!Special Features:
- Dine at Wallse - we were delightedHappyYogiDined on 4/11/2014We dined at the Wallse with friends and each of us had the six course tasting menu. We all agreed that each course was delightful and a surprise for our pallets. Between the four of us, we had everything on the tasting menu - everything was amazing. The somellier was very helpful in choosing a white and a red that paired with our meal. We would definitely visit again.Special Features:
- Great quiet elegant AustriandrovicVIPDined on 4/10/2014Charming, a great find...and one of the few NY restaurants where you can hear each other. Great food and excelente serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great tasting menunavysteakDined on 4/7/2014my husband and I went there for my birthday, it was quite quiet but the food was lovely! We both had the 6 course tasting menu which we thought was great value and delicious - would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.