235 West 12th Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.wallflowernyc.com/
- Phone: 00
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Michael Gutowski
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Wallflower
Wallflower is a neighborhood restaurant featuring original cocktails, an international wine list and traditional, seasonal French country fare.Continued
We also hold tables for walk-ins. The bar area is seated on a first come, first served basis.
We look forward to seeing you at Wallflower.
We also hold tables for walk-ins. The bar area is seated on a first come, first served basis.
We look forward to seeing you at Wallflower.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Wallflower - Best Restaurants in West Village ›
Wallflower reviews from OpenTable diners
89 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (68)fit for foodies (68)romantic (51)special occasion (27)notable wine list (15)vibrant bar scene (14)hot spot (13)late-night find (12)great for outdoor dining (8)great for brunch (5)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Anniversary dinner made my week!GrimaceDined on 11/14/2014We we're looking for a new place to celebrate our 9th anniversary dinner and came across Wallflower on Open Table. The reviews made this place sound worth a try...and it was worth every penny spent! We arrived a little early for our reservation and we were seated inmediately with our choice of seat. Our server brought us two glasses of cava on the house for our anniversary (well played, the read the special requests and I only mentioned that was why we were coming in). The drink menu is extensive, but my wife had a Shush and I started with a Sarah Smiles, great drinks! We finally decided on the tasting menu and every course was perfect! From the crudo to the pâté to our entrees of scallops and pork tenderloin all through desert the staff was attentive but unobtrusive and the food was amazing. We will be back and bring friends next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingNYCFoodieVIPDined on 11/13/2014The servers kept coming to our table to take glasses and plates when they were still full! They have no patience..I understand wanting to turn tables over but there is a polite way to encourage people to move along their meal. Also when we ordered our food we were debating a few dishes and the server misunderstood and thought between the two of us we only wanted one appetizer and one entree which was not the case, instead of giving us time and coming back he stood there, got it wrong and was visibly upset by it. The place is very cozy and the food is good..not great. I would not come back because of the poor service!
- Pretty perfect.CallahandsomeDined on 11/4/2014Came here for a date, and couldn't have been happier. I actually took a French girl here, and was a little concerned about it, cause they're a French-inspired place, but she loved it and so did I!Special Features:
- wonderful WallflowerdanielDined on 11/1/2014My wife and I had a date-night at Wallflower this past weekend and we were beyond pleased. We weren't celebrating anything (but each other) and looking for a relaxing, romantic spot. The food was delicious, the drinks outstanding (try the Last Call), and what really topped it off was the incredible service. All things right at the Wallflower. We'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/25/2014cute little restaurant with fantastic food! service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaseDined on 10/25/2014Pros: cocktails, dessert and the hamachi/crudo, price for the tasting menu was fair but would have paid more for more reasonable portions. Cons: tasting menu version of hamachi and crudo were amuse-bouche size. Scallops were fine but they served me 2.5 scallops, actually cut one in half for the tasting menu. Risotto was good. I would stop by again for drinks, oysters and desserts whe in the area.
- Have it THEIR way.NYCDinerVIPDined on 10/21/2014I was flabbergasted when I ordered one of their specialty cocktails and they absolutely refused to make it a bit weaker for me. (Yes, you read that right.) They were willing to substitute a different drink (which I did not want) but were adamant that they would not alter one of their custom cocktails, no matter what the customer's preference. It was so shocking that the couple at the next table actually leaned over to tell us they overheard our server and how stunned they were, as well. I guess maintaining the 'integrity' of their house cocktails takes priority over making sure all aspects of a diner's experience are to his/her taste. That's their right -- but I'd rather dine where the proprietor cared more about me than a mixed drink.
- Terrific!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/20/2014We had a great time - great food, great service, overall great fun. We would definitely go there again!Special Features:
- Wallflower is no wallflower -WimWamDined on 10/19/2014More restaurants should do pork tenderloin, a vastly under-served but exquisite menu item (when prepared properly), Wallflower's was completely perfect. Highly recommended -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and servicedaddybDined on 10/18/2014Nice little place. Decor could be better but overall nice ambiance. Service was very good. We were checked on regularly but not too often as to be annoying. Food came out quickly. Food itself was excellent. It's a fairly small menu but everything we had was good. I thought prices were very reasonable given the quality of the food. Wine prices were typical for a New York restaurant. Figure $15 per glass on the average. Wine list by glass is also skimpy and I had low expectations but was pleasantly surprised by the Syrah ($16). I've paid more at fancier places for worse wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014Awesome ambience, great service and great food. Thoroughly enjoyable dinner in a West Village neighborhood restaurant that's not on the tourist list of 'places to dine in New York City'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/11/2014Each time I have gone--the food wine and service has been outstanding and scrumptious!Special Features:
- A little French "Gem"Chloe11VIPDined on 9/27/2014A charming little East Village "gem". "Wallflower" is unpretentious; its service is attentive, friendly, and masterful. They offer great advice on wines and cocktails. The little room is cozy and makes for a lovely neighborhood destination. A special experience was had by all! Our wonderful experience is truly due to the owners meticulous preperation and attention to detail. My party had the tasting menu and it was absolutely amazing! A bit pricey, but worth it! French food lovers will enjoy this place. An apparent labor of love for its owner makes a lovely evening!Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/22/2014Stumbled on this restaurant in the west village and made reservations for dinner. Very cute, relaxed, romantic and hip all at once. Scallops were amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectHobokenladyDined on 9/17/2014I thought this was a perfect gem in many ways. The intimate setting, perfect pork tenderloin, the entire meal was cooked to perfection!Special Features:
- Terrific! Highly recommend.HungryFoodSnobDined on 9/16/2014This was my third time at Wallflower in the past month. I love returning with different friends to try out everything on the menu. It's all great, pretty much. The service is attentive, friendly, and adept, with great advice on their wines and special cocktails: I LOVED the Fake Russian! The place is small but charming, with tables outside for impromptu dining. A new neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Petit WonderOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/14/2014Intimate, hidden gem. Very affordable tasting menu best enjoyed with a bottle of wine and good conversation. Cocktails are top notch, from former Daniel Bar Manager.Special Features:
- Great findL0la132VIPDined on 9/3/2014Wallflower is a tiny little place with a short but interesting menu. The welcome is warm; the room attractive.The tables are small and close together. The food is well- prepared and delicious. It was a hot night so we ate only cold food -- the restaurant has no AC. Cold soup and rabbit terrine for my companion, hamachi and pate for me. We both also had salads. Our sole complaint was a very over salted remoulade that accompanied the terrine. Otherwise it was a lovely meal. We will be back.Special Features:
- What a Find!ChrisVIPDined on 8/31/2014Went to Wallflower on a lark the other night and I will definitely be going back! The service is warm, friendly and attentive. The charming little room is cozy and inviting. The food is outstanding. If you want an intimate evening with really fine food, this is your place!Special Features:
- Take this Wallflower for a SpingwebdebnycVIPDined on 8/30/2014Charming little neighborhood destination with lovely, innovative seasonal cuisine. Service is affable if not entirely accommodating, but they are running a pretty tight operation, so it's forgivable. Must haves: the scallops & corn, the corn soup, brioche and peaches.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/22/2014A cute little restaurant with solid food and service. The menu is relatively small.Special Features:
- BonnieVIPDined on 8/16/2014I'm not sure why Wallflower is French, except for the two who take orders. Is it French not to have a telephone number? The food--rabbit terrine, scallops, pork tenderloin--is good, albeit on the salty side. The very short pour of a glass of Givry was okay because the wine was terrible. Something--mosquitos?--attacked halfway through the meal which of course did not add to what should have been the pleasure of dining.
- Amazing tasting menuARS116VIPDined on 8/15/2014I came here with my boyfriend for his birthday, and we couldn't have made a better choice. The tasting menu was absolutely amazing, and they had a great and delicious cocktail menu. The restaurant is the typical small and cozy west village ambiance - pricey, but worth it and will definitely be returning soon.Special Features:
- Good food and servicesanjivVIPDined on 8/8/2014Good food and pleasant, friendly service. The place is small, but it wasn't crowded when we were there so there was plenty of space between the tables for undisturbed conversations. The drinks were a little disappointing after the other reviews. Salad was a little over salted. Chèvre cheese, oysters and steak were definitely good. Small portions - which I liked. Desserts were a nice ending to a really good meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute quaint w/ good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2014Great neighborhood find. Enjoyed the mixologist. Food was delicious, especially the scallops! A bit overpriced and the tables were too small. Sadly normal for NY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad Service Legendary foodYorkVIPDined on 8/2/2014Fans of French food will love this place. Its a nice little hole in the wall with about 8 tables. Ambience is essentially candle lit. The service is horrific so if your in a rush don't come here. Cocktails are Prime.Special Features:
- The following 30 reviews are from the Wallflower reviews archive.
- Sweet, romantic spotbartonspringsDined on 7/24/2014Wallflower is known for its cocktails and they don't disappoint but the truly excellent, simply-prepared food and lovely atmosphere carry equal weight here. This restaurant feels like a labor of love for its owners. Their obvious - and entirely deserved - pride in their work translates into a special experience for their guests. Wallflower isn't cheap but feels like a good value.Special Features:
- sweet spotNycseattleVIPDined on 7/22/2014A perfect West Village spot, absolutely charming, wonderful staff, delicious food.Special Features:
- A bit disappointingNYDinerVIPDined on 7/11/2014This is a great little neighborhood spot, and the food was excellent, but the service fell short. Not so much with a lack of service, but rather the quality of service. We felt that service was intruding, too many visit, over pouring our wine (almost feeling rushed), and when we didn't yet look at the dessert menus, they were taken away without us even being asked if we wanted to order dessert. Disappointing as this place has really great potential with a good choice of wines and tasty, well prepared food. I would think twice before going back.Special Features:
- What a find!LocalVIPDined on 7/6/2014Tiny but fantastic. Lovely service, fabulous food. We wil be back. Did the tasting menu for my husband's birthday, but will return for a regular meal. Love it!Special Features:
- Small, quaint, and great!firstreviewDined on 7/6/2014Went for dinner with a friend. Friend got a lemonade, and even though it wasn't on the menu they took the time to make it for her and present it in a nice way. Had a glass of white, and the server was knowledgeable about wine selection per your personal palette. We both got the kamamoto oysters which tasted fresh without a hint of sliminess, I got the pork chops, and my friend got the sea bass. Excellent entrees both. Finished off with a coffee & chocolate pot de creme which was really really good. Will definitely try to come back!Special Features:
- Go for a drink; stay for the food!wrymanhattanVIPDined on 7/1/2014Xavier, the bartender at Wallflower, was at Daniel for many years, and his cocktails are arguably the best in the West Village. He takes a fresh approach to classic recipes, combining ingredients in unexpected ways, yet the results always well-balanced and elegant. It's a great place for a drink, despite the cramped bar area, but the food is wonderful, too. Currently, they offer a fabulous chilled pea and crab soup. The charcuterie is super flavorful. Herbs are used with real care throughout the menu. The desserts are worth the calories. Service is warm and attentive. This is a real village gem -- intimate and romantic.Special Features:
- Great DiningJay89VIPDined on 6/30/2014Went for the $68 prix fixe with a date and did not regret it. Service can get a tad slow at peak times, given the small staff for a small restaurant. Nevertheless, a very satisfying and worthwhile experience. Prix fixe may take a few hours (~3hours) so be prepared to spend a nice evening at this cozy little restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow KitchenFoodFiendVIPDined on 6/26/2014Everything we ate was wonderful. We had the tasting menu; entrees - pork and halibut. All was delicious. The problem was, the kitchen was impossibly slow. I think that is probably because the place and, therefore, the kitchen must be impossibly small. The service was attentive and good, but the food was way too slow in coming out. I would go back with my girlfriends when we want to have a long chatty meal. It's not for guys who may be a bit ADDish. Cocktails were good, but perhaps a bit too much ice.Special Features:
- Perfect Date SpotnycFoodiewannabeVIPDined on 6/14/2014After seeing some reviews of Wallflower I definitely was intrigued. It truly is a tiny spot with maybe 12 tables inside but it didn't feel cramped as other reviews suggested. We tried several of the cocktails and my favorite was the Fake Russian, definitely recommend it. All of our food was absolutely delicious, the crudo and pork belly are musts. Our waitress was extremely friendly and provided us with great service. From start to finish everything about Wallflower was a great experience. We will definitely be back soon!Special Features:
- Excellent West Village SpotBryanNYCVIPDined on 6/9/2014It' not easy to get a reservation and I can see why. The food was top-notch and the room was beautiful.Special Features:
- A Tiny JewelPandionVIPDined on 6/6/2014There are a thousand good neighborhood restaurants in New York, but Wallflower is a very special one. The ingredients are all fresh, the preparation has strong French roots, and the service is superb. I've never given 5 stars before. But it's tiny. Book a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StellarAatsaVIPDined on 6/4/2014Great food and cocktails, very friendly staff. It's a perfect place to go to with a couple of friends or on a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty and CuteAJiLVIPDined on 5/31/2014Ambiance is intimate but fairly low-key; the tasting menu ($65) is a good deal since the portions can be a bit small. The drinks menu changes seasonally, but the Green Lantern I had was very good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/30/2014The customer service here is great - there was a problem with our first reservation and they sent out a special desert because of it, which they didn't need to do but was just so nice. Plus, my boyfriend loved the drinks, and he doesn't even like cocktail type drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.