Waldhaus Restaurant - Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel
405 Spray Avenue
Banff, AB T1L1J4Neighborhood:
GermanPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Waldhaus Restaurant - Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fairmont.com/banff-springs/dining/
- Phone: 4037626860x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Sunday: 6:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: German, Gastro Pub, Swiss
- Executive Chef: j.W. Foster
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Whether a small celebration with family and friends or a larger occasion, the Waldhaus Restaurant is the perfect spot away from it all. Let us help you create the perfect event for you and your guests to enjoy.
- Private Party Contact: Jessica Pearce 8776250169
- Public Transit: There is a bus service run by the town which runs approximately every 40 minutes into Banff.
Fare is $2.00 per person.
The bus operates daily from 6:35 a.m. until 11:15 p.m. See the concierge desk for a town bus schedules which are subject to change without notice.
- Parking: Hotel Parking
- Parking Details: The Waldhaus is located just a quick walk down the hill from the Fairmont Banff Springs. For direct access you can park at the Bow Falls parking lot and walk up the driveway or stairs. A complementary shuttle is also available from the main bus entrance at the hotel.
The hotel's parking is located beside the Convention Center.
Self-parking: $25 CAD/night, with unlimited access
Valet service: $35 CAD/night, with unlimited access
Electric Vehicles - complimentary
A word from Waldhaus Restaurant - Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel
Located away from Banff"s busy streets, where the Spray River meets the 15th hole, you will find the Waldhaus Restaurant, our “House in the Forest”. Feast on a rich assortment of authentic Swiss and German dishes in an atmosphere reminiscent of an old hunting cottage with dark, rich wood paneling, a large fireplace and a beautiful wine cabinet housing an excellent wine selection.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Waldhaus Restaurant - Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel - Best Restaurants in Banff ›
Waldhaus Restaurant - Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (33)special occasion (29)romantic (25)fit for foodies (16)good for groups (9)notable wine list (6)neighborhood gem (5)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (3)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great meal- fabulous views!travelmamaDined on 8/27/2014Had a great meal, and excellent service. Spatzel was so good- we shared the appetizer, and kitchen went ahead and split it for us so we each got an individual serving in a cast iron serving dish. Pretzel rolls were so good, and our waitress brought us more when we asked. Speaking of waitress, she was so good- Alex gave us great suggestions and service!Special Features:
- Germany brought localhal52VIPDined on 8/19/2014The restaurant was beautiful but a bit of a hike. Looking around you felt you were in the Alps. Park in the Fairmont parking and take the shuttle unless you want to tackle about 60 steps and a 300 yard hike; one you definitely wouldn't want to do in the dark. The restaurant is more relaxed and less stuffy than the rest of the Fairmont options. The food was German in styling and flavor. I loved the Wild Boar schnitzel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does not live up to potentialNeveragainDined on 8/19/2014Waiter was grumpy, not friendly. Food was sub par even for a mid chain restaurant, and certainly not for what could be a very nice restaurant. Way too expensive for what you get, and the drinks, especially the wine was very expensive. The wine was about 400% more than the same wine we have had elsewhere..i know restaurants mark up their wine but not that much.
- lds46Dined on 8/16/2014Food was very good. Our server was professional but not friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JustaguyDined on 8/15/2014Fondue was average at best. Service was poor. Poor ambience (but that could just have been our particular evening).Special Features:
- meh!Food4allDined on 8/15/2014I've had better. The best thing about Waldhaus is the ambience and the waitstaff. The food is so-so. Had their specialty, the weinerschnitzel, which was very dry although the sides were acceptable. Asked for a bellini and received a mug of something frozen, hmmm. The service was excellent and it's a nice intimate setting with a view of the mountains which is why I gave it three stars but I would probably not dine here again.Special Features:
- OK for a hotel restaurantJLDCEOVIPDined on 8/11/2014it is not authentic German but passable. The is good and the service was very good but the place is always crowded and hectic. I did hear some patrons complaining of poor service but that was not our experience. The fondue apps were just OK with the truffle one being very overpowering. Truffle demands a deft hand and this dish did not have that. The meat dishes were all good and the halibut looked very good.
- DisappointingSmmphdVIPDined on 8/11/2014Greasy over breaded Wiener schnitzel that had little taste. but very good venison. Same veggies on every plate. Snarky waiter. No view. Not worth it.
- Outstanding in all waystravel4funDined on 8/8/2014We are so pleased with our meal at the Waldhaus. We had the trout, the venison and a schnitzel ....each meal was presented beautifully and each meal was very delicious....the chef's seasoning was spot on for each dish. The service was outstanding....our waiter did everything he could to please us. We sat in the exterior room which had spectacular views of the valley and mountains. Our overall experience was memorable....one of our best restaurant meals ever!Special Features:
- InOraDined on 8/5/2014Missed this on my last trip, accidentally eating in the adjoining pub. The building is a stone cottage with vaulted ceilings on the grounds of the Banff Springs Hotel, and views of the river valley and mountains. Loved the pace of service: a lingering evening of delightful food and conversation, more european than fast-food. Food was hearty schnitzels and spaetzles-all delicious. Odd trivia: I believe I had exactly the same sauce on a leg of lamb at another restaurant in Banff. For the setting if they play music at all it should be strings and orchestras, not jazz soundtrack. And the modernist beehive light fixtures are ridiculous. Most charming thing: a bat flew through until gently escorted out by a waiter. True mountain paradise!Special Features:
- Very pleased!BanffFan1337Dined on 8/2/2014A memorable dining experience! Very pleased with the food, service, and ambience of the establishment. Worth the hefty price, as fine dining requires steep prices. Impressed and will return on next trip to Banff!Special Features:
- German awesomeness.Newfie22hbVIPDined on 7/20/2014The food was fabulous definitely a recommendation. Everything we ordered we were a party of five was absolutely delicious. Outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique AtmosheretucsonfoodieDined on 7/15/2014Fun place with unique atmosphere and view. Schnitzel was great , halibut too dry.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014We enjoyed a drink on the patio below at the pub. Amazing views. Then we moved upstairs to the restaurant and enjoyed a great meal. My wife had the roasted chicken and I had the venison. I would eat here again. Other people have mentioned that it was expensive but I think it falls into the price of all other fine dining restaurant in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeDined on 5/31/2014You feel like you are eating in a barvarian castle specifically in the terrace 😀Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!LindsayadamDined on 5/22/2014We came from edmonton for my husbands birthday and had an amazing meal, beautiful view and wonderful service! Have already recommended to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service!banffweekenderDined on 5/17/2014We dined at the Waldhaus with a bachelorette group. It's a beautiful restaurant with a great view. The servers were extraordinarily friendly and accomodating and the food was fantastic. The service definitely stood out though. The waiter voluntarily came outside to the patio with us to take our (multiple) group pictures for us after dinner (in the rain!) A great night out.Special Features:
- Nice German restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014Had the meat platter and schnitzel upstairs in the restaurant. Service was excellent. Food was good, wasn't true German.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New menu was not as I hopedLuv2travelDined on 5/9/2014The service was great the location is amazing but the main course was sub par, I did not find the meal exciting or special, for the price it should have had a bit of flair. My meal was left under a heat lamp for sometime or over cooked it was hard and dry on the edges Even though we requested 30 to 40 minutes between our apitizer and main it looked like it was sitting for sometime Wine Selection was good but priced a little high com paired to other high end restaurants I think for the price it did not meet expectationSpecial Features:
- great viewfoodieDined on 5/8/2014Great place, great ambiance, but for the food it was good pub food nothing else, I was expecting more for the price.Special Features:
- The following 53 reviews are from the Waldhaus Restaurant - Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel reviews archive.
- Outstanding experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014The view, the welcome, the server, and the FOOD......it was a wonderful and memorable experience for us ! Even though we live just east of Calgary, we have never been to the Waldhaus....and choose our 1st Anniversary to experience it. We were not disappointed and will absolutely make this trip again and again. Thank you !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible!TeeMcGDined on 4/26/2014It was our first visit at the Waldhaus and it did not disappoint! We arrived a little late as we had a bit of trouble finding the place but they were very sympathetic about it. The service was incredible from the second we walked in the door. Waitress was super helpful, she explained everything about the dishes we wanted to order and went over it as it came to the table. My husband and I ordered the meat and cheese platter, the rouladen and short ribs for the entree and the pecan tart with maple bacon ice cream and carrot cake for dessert. The food was excellent, worth every penny! A true Fairmont experience. We can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite at Banff SpringsmiamigirlVIPDined on 4/26/2014Great food, cozy mountain Bavarian atmosphere, wonderful serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, shocking hostesscanteacher1Dined on 4/18/2014Let me start off by saying I will come back to this restaurant as the food and atmosphere was amazing. We live in Calgary and never knew this place existed. We were given an outstanding recommendation from a friend and had to try it. Outside of the hostess this place would get 5 starts and I do not give out 5 starts very often. Thankfully we stayed as we had almost left once we arrived. The hostess would rank up there with the worst I have ever encountered. It looks very obvious when a resaurant places all the its guests at about 30% capacity on top of each other in the worst seats in the place that the staff care more about a faster cleaning up time then the comfort of its patrons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedNaturerocksDined on 4/12/2014We'd heard such great reviews but other than the cheese fondue this restaurant did not measure up to Fairmont level of quality. The carrot cake was very good.Special Features:
- A great way to start a weekendForgeDined on 4/11/2014My wife and I came to the Banff Springs Fairmont as a mom and dad get away. I reserved the Waldhaus so we could enjoy our first "adult" meal with a Fondu. It was incredible! The table was fantastic, the meal was superb and the service was incredible. What a great way to start our weekend! Thank you Waldhaus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, but fondue not as goodKitODined on 4/6/2014The last time we came, we fell in love with the Waldhaus purely on the strength of its Alpine fondue. It was heavenly. Fast forward a year: same ambience, same service, different chef, slightly different menu. The Alpine fondue is sadly gone, but still had high hope for the remaining fondues. Between 8 people, we had 3 fondues. The first one was hot out of the kitchen, and the initial taste was pleasant enough. Then the 2 other fondues came. The other 2 came out cooler. Not a huge problem, other than both (all 3 really) were well overdone on the liquor (the kirsch). It was all we could taste! Maybe with time it may have cooked off a bit, but it was ultimately disappointing.Special Features:
- Gem in the mountainsideCathyandFabianDined on 4/3/2014Outstanding service in a classic mountainside restaurant! The fondue was incredible. This is a perfect place for a couple to dine in a quiet setting - by the wood-burning fireplace.Special Features:
- Truly a Place to Experience!jdsafariDined on 3/28/2014My friend an I made a reservation to the Walhaus Restaurant as we were staying the weekend at the Banff Springs Hotel - we were not disappointed. It has a cozy atmosphere, our table was by the fireplace, we had the fondue experience, and ordered Beergarita's and ended the night with Blueberry Tea's. Our waitress was informative as well as funny - we had a great evening. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheese Fondue ExtravaganzaElricDined on 3/27/2014The Waldhaus restaurant is a charming little restaurant at the base of the Banff Springs hotel in Banff. This is a must do if you are looking for a charming "nestled in the mountains" setting. Although the main courses are a good typical Swiss/German fare, the "must do" here is the cheese fondue. You can have it plain Swiss-style, or with truffle oil or with onions. Although it is a very simple dish of just bread and melted cheese, it is absolutely delicious. The onion soup here was great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic experience!5BlueDined on 3/21/2014Excellent German menu. The ambience was authentic and the food was excellent! If you want to feel like you're in Germany, this restaurant transports you there. We had the Wiener schnitzel and sterling silver pork chop and would definitely recommend both dishes. The staff were outstanding. We dined with a young toddler and everyone was kind and attentive to our needs. Best dining experience in recent memory!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningJoe71Dined on 2/19/2014Fantastic location. Lots going on outside with ice skating groups, people around the fire pit. Love this place. Server was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines dinnerLoufreebushDined on 2/14/2014My boyfriend and I were impressed with everything. The food was amazing and the service was great! Thanks for making our night so special. We definitely will be comming back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent.vstohrDined on 2/14/2014Romantic. Excellent location. Fairy tale-like. ($$$)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant experience!twocandineDined on 2/13/2014Had a great meal here with my boyfriend. The atmosphere was very welcoming and had a window seat. Was able to enjoy a beautiful view of the mountains while enjoying a delicious meal of duck. My boyfriend had the wiener schnitzel which he enjoyed very much. The waiter was very nice and professional and was knowledgeable in regards to the menu and restaurant.Staff were very pleasant and the drinks were fairly delicious as well. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DELIGHTFUL DELICIOUS DININGOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/25/2014Delicious french onion soup, breads and loved the variety of veggies with our rouladen and weiner snitzel. All prepared tastily and great presentation. Nice atmosphere, away from the crowds. Great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but awesome.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/18/2014Was here on Sat night. We had the fondue experience with wine pairings. It was pretty pricey but for a special occasion it was amazing. Well worth it but not every week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special surpriseBearDined on 1/3/2014What a fantastic restaraunt !!! Would have never known that it existed- it's amazing ! Beautiful big fire place. Amazing onion cheese fondue ! Just a amazing find. Would highly recommend it. Look forward to going again! Pints, steins and boots of beer ! Delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ambience, but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/3/2014Great setting as the resturant is in the old Banff Springs golf club house. How ever the food was just ok and not truely German, more German inspired. The portions were very generous but did not live up to the price point.Special Features:
- Fantastic ExperiencethemuttsDined on 12/31/2013The Waldhaus is one of the best restaurants that we have had the pleasure of enjoying. The atmosphere is lovely, service is outstanding and friendly and the food is out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.