Waldhaus Restaurant - Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel
405 Spray Avenue
Banff, AB T1L1J4Neighborhood:
GermanPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Waldhaus Restaurant - Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fairmont.com/banff-springs/dining/
- Phone: (403) 762-6860
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Daily from 6:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: German, Gastro Pub, Swiss
- Executive Chef: j.W. Foster
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Whether a small celebration with family and friends or a larger occasion, the Waldhaus Restaurant is the perfect spot away from it all. Let us help you create the perfect event for you and your guests to enjoy.
- Private Party Contact: Jessica Pearce 8776250169
- Public Transit: There is a bus service run by the town which runs approximately every 40 minutes into Banff.
Fare is $2.00 per person.
The bus operates daily from 6:35 a.m. until 11:15 p.m. See the concierge desk for a town bus schedules which are subject to change without notice.
- Parking: Hotel Parking
- Parking Details: The Waldhaus is located just a quick walk down the hill from the Fairmont Banff Springs. For direct access you can park at the Bow Falls parking lot and walk up the driveway or stairs. A complementary shuttle is also available from the main bus entrance at the hotel.
The hotel's parking is located beside the Convention Center.
Self-parking: $25 CAD/night, with unlimited access
Valet service: $35 CAD/night, with unlimited access
Electric Vehicles - complimentary
A word from Waldhaus Restaurant - Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel
Located away from Banff"s busy streets, where the Spray River meets the 15th hole, you will find the Waldhaus Restaurant, our “House in the Forest”. Feast on a rich assortment of authentic Swiss and German dishes in an atmosphere reminiscent of an old hunting cottage with dark, rich wood paneling, a large fireplace and a beautiful wine cabinet housing an excellent wine selection.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Waldhaus Restaurant - Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel - Best Restaurants in Banff ›
Waldhaus Restaurant - Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (31)scenic view (31)romantic (30)fit for foodies (18)good for groups (11)notable wine list (8)neighborhood gem (6)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Special venue and mealEatyourgreensVIPDined on 11/1/2014This is a special occation location and food quality restaraunt. They did not disappoint for my husband's birthday weekend.Special Features:
- Really Wanted to Love It...butgarrisonwoodsDined on 11/1/2014I really enjoy schnitzel, but it was disappointing at the Waldhaus. Mine was really stringy, and had a cinnamon, nutmeg taste to it. Odd to say the least. Mentioned it to server, and it was comped. Nice touch. Appetizers and dessert were excellent, and service was top notch. Next time I'll go with the fondue. If there's a next time.Special Features:
- Lovey settingJanetDined on 10/26/2014Lovely setting, beautiful venue. Food was good, but not really my taste, that is not to say that it was bad, it was well presented, service was excellent and the bread and veggies were perfection, just was not a fan of the schnitzel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quite differentBethDined on 10/17/2014Front staff were very frazzled and crazy busy. Had to wait for our table and we had a reservation. They gave us champagne for forgiveness though:) Had the cheese soufflé it was fabulous. Chocolate soufflé was great too but the fruit they gave us was limited and no strawberries ? Seemed kind of weird? Overall I would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A beautiful experiencesonbaxDined on 10/12/2014I was concerned about having to walk to the restaraunt from the parking lot but the walk up the driveway is easy and not steep. From the moment we arrived until we left we felt welcome and special. The staff are friendly, professional and knowledgable. The food is the best German food I've had outside of Germany and moms home cooking. Our table ordered chicken, venison and schnitzel and everyone was very pleased, we all agreed that we would be back. Price wise it's up there but you pay for what you get and this was worth it. We look forward to our next vist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really romanticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014The food was good here taste wise but was really small portion my wife and I got the venison and steak for entries and was really happy with the service and the food tasted Amizing. Our dinner came out too 150 with tip and was nice for our first romantic trip to banff but left us Hungary and ended the night ordering pizza in the hotel room. I don't think I'll be going back just due to the fact the portions of the food did not represent the price for the mealSpecial Features:
- Awesome ExperienceSuperbVIPDined on 10/4/2014This was a truly awesome restaurant in every regard: food, service, view & interior ambiance. A German chalet in the mountains, set on the grounds of the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel. We had outstanding German dishes: cheese fondue, classic wiener schnitzel, spaetzel, red cabbage, apple strudel - all outstandingly prepared and presented. And the accompanying Riesling wine was perfect. Our table was not in the main dining room, but in an anteroom on the backside of the chalet, by the windows overlooking the mountains and valleys on these spectacular grounds. Our waiter was also perfect - very busy, but easily shared his knowledge of the area, hotel and menu. A truly spectacular dining experience.Special Features:
- Excellent Dinning ExperienceHappyCustomersDined on 10/4/2014My wife and I went to the Waldhaus Restaurant for our 10th Wedding Anniversary and found the dinning experience to be one of the best we have ever had. The view of the mountains and wildlife was only outdone by the food. Our meals were excellently prepared. We will definitely be returning to the Waldhaus Restaurant in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceBlurtVIPDined on 10/1/2014Great little place in a beautiful area near the hotel. Service was just OK as we were at the restaurant for nearly 2 hours. Just a long time, very tiring. hahaha. Food selection was great. We tried the scotch egg, (just ok) and the fondue. The fondue was definitely an experience and a must try. Be prepared to eat a ton of bread though. Dinner was 8/10. The steak selections were great. Delicious sides and sauce with the meat selections. No dessert..to full. : ) overall not bad...fun little place. Next time maybe we'll try the pub downstairs.Special Features:
- Atmospheric & fab viewsLynandfriendsDined on 9/24/2014Had dined here before but in winter . 'Fondue experience ' was great ample we couldn't finish it all .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Service!LoveBanffDined on 9/22/2014The servers are long term employees and are really fantastic at their jobs. Attentive, personable and knowledgeable. Love the atmosphere. I had the Wild Boar entree which I would not recommend. It was tough and flavorless. Other entrees that I have had on prior occasions were excellent (such as the Buffalo short ribs).Special Features:
- PuddleDined on 9/18/2014We enjoyed our evening. The staff were very accommodating. At one point the background music was suddenly increased. We found it annoying and were required to raise voices to speak. Upon request the waiter turned it down which was most appreciated. With a full restaurant and people engaged, there is no need for added music. The food was good; starter were amazing however the mains were not to the same caliber. The venison was superb but vegetables were luke warm (almost cold). My husband's wild bore schnitzel was rather oily and overdone. A nice bottle of French wine helped things along. As this was a very special evening we did not share these comments with the waiter who was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real gem!leather307Dined on 9/4/2014Dined at Waldhaus while in Banff. As it was our anniversary we wanted something special. Waldhaus did not disappoint. The ambience was very cozy And elegant. Our server was outstanding and both our meals were excellent. All in all a memorable evening. The only negative would be the path through the woods, while quaint and magical it could have more lighting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Transported to a glorious pastnitzomoeDined on 8/29/2014The big deal with the restaurant is the decor and it defnitely impresses. The german hunting village vibe certainly exists and one feels nostalgic for the early 1900's. The food itself is nothing to write home about though acceptable for the caliber of hotel it is part of.Special Features:
- Great meal- fabulous views!travelmamaDined on 8/27/2014Had a great meal, and excellent service. Spatzel was so good- we shared the appetizer, and kitchen went ahead and split it for us so we each got an individual serving in a cast iron serving dish. Pretzel rolls were so good, and our waitress brought us more when we asked. Speaking of waitress, she was so good- Alex gave us great suggestions and service!Special Features:
- Germany brought localhal52VIPDined on 8/19/2014The restaurant was beautiful but a bit of a hike. Looking around you felt you were in the Alps. Park in the Fairmont parking and take the shuttle unless you want to tackle about 60 steps and a 300 yard hike; one you definitely wouldn't want to do in the dark. The restaurant is more relaxed and less stuffy than the rest of the Fairmont options. The food was German in styling and flavor. I loved the Wild Boar schnitzel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does not live up to potentialNeveragainDined on 8/19/2014Waiter was grumpy, not friendly. Food was sub par even for a mid chain restaurant, and certainly not for what could be a very nice restaurant. Way too expensive for what you get, and the drinks, especially the wine was very expensive. The wine was about 400% more than the same wine we have had elsewhere..i know restaurants mark up their wine but not that much.
- lds46Dined on 8/16/2014Food was very good. Our server was professional but not friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JustaguyDined on 8/15/2014Fondue was average at best. Service was poor. Poor ambience (but that could just have been our particular evening).Special Features:
- meh!Food4allDined on 8/15/2014I've had better. The best thing about Waldhaus is the ambience and the waitstaff. The food is so-so. Had their specialty, the weinerschnitzel, which was very dry although the sides were acceptable. Asked for a bellini and received a mug of something frozen, hmmm. The service was excellent and it's a nice intimate setting with a view of the mountains which is why I gave it three stars but I would probably not dine here again.Special Features:
- OK for a hotel restaurantJLDCEOVIPDined on 8/11/2014it is not authentic German but passable. The is good and the service was very good but the place is always crowded and hectic. I did hear some patrons complaining of poor service but that was not our experience. The fondue apps were just OK with the truffle one being very overpowering. Truffle demands a deft hand and this dish did not have that. The meat dishes were all good and the halibut looked very good.
- DisappointingSmmphdVIPDined on 8/11/2014Greasy over breaded Wiener schnitzel that had little taste. but very good venison. Same veggies on every plate. Snarky waiter. No view. Not worth it.
- Outstanding in all waystravel4funDined on 8/8/2014We are so pleased with our meal at the Waldhaus. We had the trout, the venison and a schnitzel ....each meal was presented beautifully and each meal was very delicious....the chef's seasoning was spot on for each dish. The service was outstanding....our waiter did everything he could to please us. We sat in the exterior room which had spectacular views of the valley and mountains. Our overall experience was memorable....one of our best restaurant meals ever!Special Features:
- InOraDined on 8/5/2014Missed this on my last trip, accidentally eating in the adjoining pub. The building is a stone cottage with vaulted ceilings on the grounds of the Banff Springs Hotel, and views of the river valley and mountains. Loved the pace of service: a lingering evening of delightful food and conversation, more european than fast-food. Food was hearty schnitzels and spaetzles-all delicious. Odd trivia: I believe I had exactly the same sauce on a leg of lamb at another restaurant in Banff. For the setting if they play music at all it should be strings and orchestras, not jazz soundtrack. And the modernist beehive light fixtures are ridiculous. Most charming thing: a bat flew through until gently escorted out by a waiter. True mountain paradise!Special Features:
- Very pleased!BanffFan1337Dined on 8/2/2014A memorable dining experience! Very pleased with the food, service, and ambience of the establishment. Worth the hefty price, as fine dining requires steep prices. Impressed and will return on next trip to Banff!Special Features:
- The following 62 reviews are from the Waldhaus Restaurant - Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel reviews archive.
- German awesomeness.Newfie22hbVIPDined on 7/20/2014The food was fabulous definitely a recommendation. Everything we ordered we were a party of five was absolutely delicious. Outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique AtmosheretucsonfoodieDined on 7/15/2014Fun place with unique atmosphere and view. Schnitzel was great , halibut too dry.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014We enjoyed a drink on the patio below at the pub. Amazing views. Then we moved upstairs to the restaurant and enjoyed a great meal. My wife had the roasted chicken and I had the venison. I would eat here again. Other people have mentioned that it was expensive but I think it falls into the price of all other fine dining restaurant in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeDined on 5/31/2014You feel like you are eating in a barvarian castle specifically in the terrace 😀Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!LindsayadamDined on 5/22/2014We came from edmonton for my husbands birthday and had an amazing meal, beautiful view and wonderful service! Have already recommended to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service!banffweekenderDined on 5/17/2014We dined at the Waldhaus with a bachelorette group. It's a beautiful restaurant with a great view. The servers were extraordinarily friendly and accomodating and the food was fantastic. The service definitely stood out though. The waiter voluntarily came outside to the patio with us to take our (multiple) group pictures for us after dinner (in the rain!) A great night out.Special Features:
- Nice German restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014Had the meat platter and schnitzel upstairs in the restaurant. Service was excellent. Food was good, wasn't true German.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New menu was not as I hopedLuv2travelDined on 5/9/2014The service was great the location is amazing but the main course was sub par, I did not find the meal exciting or special, for the price it should have had a bit of flair. My meal was left under a heat lamp for sometime or over cooked it was hard and dry on the edges Even though we requested 30 to 40 minutes between our apitizer and main it looked like it was sitting for sometime Wine Selection was good but priced a little high com paired to other high end restaurants I think for the price it did not meet expectationSpecial Features:
- great viewfoodieDined on 5/8/2014Great place, great ambiance, but for the food it was good pub food nothing else, I was expecting more for the price.Special Features:
- Outstanding experienceThanksgivingDined on 5/3/2014The view, the welcome, the server, and the FOOD......it was a wonderful and memorable experience for us ! Even though we live just east of Calgary, we have never been to the Waldhaus....and choose our 1st Anniversary to experience it. We were not disappointed and will absolutely make this trip again and again. Thank you !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible!TeeMcGDined on 4/26/2014It was our first visit at the Waldhaus and it did not disappoint! We arrived a little late as we had a bit of trouble finding the place but they were very sympathetic about it. The service was incredible from the second we walked in the door. Waitress was super helpful, she explained everything about the dishes we wanted to order and went over it as it came to the table. My husband and I ordered the meat and cheese platter, the rouladen and short ribs for the entree and the pecan tart with maple bacon ice cream and carrot cake for dessert. The food was excellent, worth every penny! A true Fairmont experience. We can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite at Banff SpringsmiamigirlVIPDined on 4/26/2014Great food, cozy mountain Bavarian atmosphere, wonderful serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, shocking hostesscanteacher1Dined on 4/18/2014Let me start off by saying I will come back to this restaurant as the food and atmosphere was amazing. We live in Calgary and never knew this place existed. We were given an outstanding recommendation from a friend and had to try it. Outside of the hostess this place would get 5 starts and I do not give out 5 starts very often. Thankfully we stayed as we had almost left once we arrived. The hostess would rank up there with the worst I have ever encountered. It looks very obvious when a resaurant places all the its guests at about 30% capacity on top of each other in the worst seats in the place that the staff care more about a faster cleaning up time then the comfort of its patrons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedNaturerocksDined on 4/12/2014We'd heard such great reviews but other than the cheese fondue this restaurant did not measure up to Fairmont level of quality. The carrot cake was very good.Special Features:
- A great way to start a weekendForgeDined on 4/11/2014My wife and I came to the Banff Springs Fairmont as a mom and dad get away. I reserved the Waldhaus so we could enjoy our first "adult" meal with a Fondu. It was incredible! The table was fantastic, the meal was superb and the service was incredible. What a great way to start our weekend! Thank you Waldhaus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.