1649 Beacon Street
Waban, MA 02468Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.wabankitchen.com/
- Phone: 6175587677x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday 5 - 10
Friday and Saturday 5 - 10:30
Tuesday - Thursday 5 - 11
Friday and Saturday 5 - 11:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jeff Fournier
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Farm to Table, Full Bar, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Waban Kitchen
The second venture of Chef Jeff Fournier, chef/owner of 51 Lincoln, Waban Kitchen focuses on the principles of tradition and creativity. It is our mission to provide you with an experience that exceeds the high standards of quality that we set for ourselves. We take pride in our passion and dedication to hospitality and welcome you as a guest in our home. We aim to create an experience that showcases both food and drink and crafted pairings to reflect such a philosophy.Continued
Please contact Michael at the number provided for bookings of parties 5 or more.
Please contact Michael at the number provided for bookings of parties 5 or more.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Waban Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Waban ›
Waban Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (60)fit for foodies (47)special occasion (19)romantic (10)notable wine list (10)great for lunch (8)great for outdoor dining (8)vibrant bar scene (7)hot spot (5)good for groups (5)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/29/2014we were at WK to celebrate a birthday - Having requested a "quiet" table, we were happy that the table reserved for us was the table by front window. The flowers on the table were very limp and dying - our great server changed the vase but not the flowers - a lame effort - would have been better to have no . Our server was excellent; food was disappointing -- the items I finally ordered (the empanada & artisanal greens ) were mediocre. The corn side, which was highly praised, was a waste of corn, or a coverup for old corn - couldn't taste the corn, though the crumbs were tasty. The seviche was disappointing - seemed cooked and was an overwhelming portions size; too much seafood on the menu, and too much irrelevant fruit in various dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Good!SweetpeaVIPDined on 8/29/2014We dined at Waban Kitchen the other night and had a really enjoyable evening! The food was amazing - I had the chicken and my partner had the pork chop. The place is super cute inside and service was excelllent. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Eh.....OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/27/2014We expected a better overall experience but, everything was just okay. Almost every dish arrived "over-complicated". It seems like the chef can't help himself when it comes to mixing spices, when in doubt he seems to add another and another.
- CeceDined on 8/26/2014We ate outside on warm summer evening. Service was attentive. And the food was fantastic-from the homemade bread and pesto, the grilled romaine salads, fresh blue fish, rare duck breast to thedivine chocolate mousse , there were no missteps in any dish. We loved it and are looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty mealSlipperyslopeVIPDined on 8/23/2014Loved the pork chop with peach marmalade, could have used more of the marmalade. Seating is not so comfortable, pretty tight between the tables for two. Enthusiastic service on a slow night. Really ugly art on the walls was a hindrance to the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemGiannetta1Dined on 8/13/2014Couldn't be better. Service is exceptional. Food is unique but not crazy unique and is all dishes I've had have been excellent.Special Features:
- Great foodpixelgemDined on 8/2/2014Expressive menu, fresh ingredients, good service. Small and cramped, but charming. Glad to have stumbled upon this restaurant while taking the back roads home through Newton.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentGiannetta1Dined on 8/2/2014Excellent food and service. However, for the older set (over 75) it IS hard to hear what your friends at YOUR are saying. The noise level is high. Best tables are opposite the bar. The food and the service DO compensate for the noise level as both are excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keeps getting better.AndyVIPDined on 7/31/2014Fabulous to have in our neighborhood. Worth traveling for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2014This was our third time dining at Waban Kitchen; we had enjoyed it on the previous occasions. This time we were both disappointed. I ordered scallops and was a bit surprised to see only three of them. My guest ordered the fried chicken and we were surprised that he received only a small thigh and a wing. It really wasn't enough food for him. My guest felt that the service was off and speculated if it was because we did not order alcohol that night.
- Beyond expectationsDaveSDined on 7/23/2014Restaurant was recommended to me as it was close to my work. Had the melon soup and sardine salad specials. They were outstanding. Topped the meal with watermelon vodka sorbet. Could not have been better. Awesome find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sandiDined on 7/16/2014We had a terrible experience and would never recommend this restaurant to anyone. We had booked a table for 4 asking for a quiet place as 2 of us have hearing issues. We were taken past a nice table for 4 to the back of the restaurant and sat in front of the kitchen at a table for 8, so we would have not only the kitchen noise to contend with but also noise from 4 others. We placed our order and my friend can't eat potatoes so asked for a tomato as a replacement..the chef said fine but would charge an extra $2 for this..We were disgusted .We left passing the table meant for 4 (which the matre d told us was being saved)and there were only 2 people sitting there. All in all a very bad experience!!
- Delicious food, superb service!JPachDined on 7/12/2014Apps: fried pickles and the mushroom tart. Both were excellent! The fried pickles are thick cut and thinly battered with great sauce. Next, we had the short ribs and southern fried chicken. The short rib was tender and flavorful and the 3 bean salad was very good. The southern fried chicken was tasty, but on the bone, so a little difficult to eat. The grits with the SFC were a little thin, more like sauce, but the collard greens were superb. For dessert: butterscotch ice cream and peach galette. My husband hated the IC because he thought it had a "coffee" flavor but I thought it was more like burnt sugar and wonderful. The galette pastry was only ok, but peaches were nice. *Downtown area is all shut down on Sunday evenings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gfthDined on 7/11/2014A quiet, slightly out of the way restaurant [which is good] WK always delivers. We had been before and will visit again Our visits have been me and wife but we plan a group visit to occupy the harvest table next to the open kitchen.Special Features:
- OMG! OUTSTANDING!!HerbydogDined on 7/2/2014I so rarely write a review for the restaurants we frequent but this one is certainly worth the time. Upon making reservations some time ago for this celebratory evening I was lucky enough to get a reservation when needed. This little neighborhood spot was just wonderful! It is small and intimate, friendly and unpretentious with outstanding food and service. The servers were knowledgeable, available, pleasant and always smiling. The food was delectable, we were a party of four and every one of our meals were terrific! We have frequented all the newer local small restaurants and this is the first one that we can't wait to go back to!! Definitely try the "Waban Ice Tea"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2 scallop entree!?disasppointedVIPDined on 6/27/2014We've been to the Waban Kitchen twice before and had a great experience. We went last Friday night and were so disappointed, I don't think we'll be back. I was disappointed in two ways. I got the artisanal greens salad which was literally green. I would have the greens would have been more unique, but I make the same salad at home... baby romaine, maybe a couple of unique greens, but I wouldn't call it artisanal. The biggest disappointment was the entrée. TWO scallops?! I am not looking for a Vinny Testa's meal, but I don't think the two scallops were even 3 ounces! A typical serving of fish should be between 4-6 ounces. If it were an appetizer portion, that would be fine... but $16 per scallop!? They could have at least served four.Special Features:
- Thursday Night at Waban Kitchen.2tired2cookDined on 6/26/2014Prompt service and very attentive wait staff. All the food was excellent, with a wonderful pesto with the bread. We went for a special occasion and shared an appetizer, drinks and desert in addition to dinner for a reasonable price. Overall, an excellent value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/20/2014Pleasant and quiet, but food just OK. Overpriced.. 3 scallops for $29 Wow . I mean I know they're expensive but that's ridiculous. Nothing really too special. Probably won't rush back. Waitress seemed annoyed when we didn't order more drinks.....She was kind or rude, actually.
- JacksonJacksonVIPDined on 6/20/2014Almost everything was as good as always except the food which was universally (there were 4 of us) a healthy step down from the usual. Also, the charcuterie order (a special Fri night) was tiny, always has been. Will return, eventually.Special Features:
- Loved the Fried ChickenPattyVIPDined on 6/19/2014This place was pricey but it was so good! The fried chicken was amazing. Our server was great!
- RonLVIPDined on 6/19/2014It was a nice evening so we sat outside, which was more pleasant than inside. The menu is somewhat limited, as is also the case with its sister restaurant, 51 Lincoln. I had the cod (on special that evening) and my wife has the rabbit. each dish was fine but unexceptional. The best part of our experience was lingering over a bottle of wine and pates before entrees.
- Excellent entrees; sides, notsomuchLolabeanDined on 6/14/2014This was our first visit to Waban Kitchen since it has been under new ownership. I started with the Wild Mushroom Tort - which was excellent. I had the seared Faroe Island Salmon, that was cooked beautifully, and I finished every drop. The sides were listed as trumpet mushrooms and sea beans neither of which had much flavor or interest. I often choose entree for the sides, so this was a disappointment to me. My husband's scallops were very good, but his dish didn't have much in the way of sides either. One can order sides ala carte, but when you are already spending this much with wine and dessert at a neighborhood restaurant, it seems a bit excessive. I'll give them another try to see whether other dishes have more to offer.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014The food and service were excellent. Prices high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love to eat...GoodEats4allVIPDined on 6/13/2014I highly recommend...the food was delicious...appetizer of cheese & Pate...mushroom tart & Fried Chicken with Banana Bread pudding. I'm not sure what I liked best!! I would order everything again!! I thought the staff was excellent and added to the entire dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A neighborhood find.eatmoretreatsVIPDined on 6/10/2014A good little neighborhood restaurant, Newton is likely to have a charming dining destination. Two standout were the chicken liver pate and housemade pasta with shaved asparagus.Special Features:
- nycfoodieDined on 6/4/2014consistently great food, drinks and service a terrific restaurant to have locallySpecial Features:
- Tries to be something but failsLovetoeatoutDined on 5/29/2014The food is creative and tries to be interesting but just does not taste very good. Exotic combinations but in the end the menu is limited. The soup looked like swamp water and combination of vegetables was wrong. Main meal of fried chicken was not very interesting.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/28/2014Top notch drinks - had an amazing mojito with spicy peppers which was so delicious - and the food and service were excellent as well. Tables are a bit close together but it's a small space that they make the most of. Great dinner; a real treat.Special Features:
- Local perfection..voomelDined on 5/27/2014This is a great local find. Very busy earlier in the evening but finding a table after 830 seems to be the key. The Bar is a great place to dine also. The drinks are inventive and wine list not so ordinary. Small eatery but well worth it. Delicious. They ran out of Salmon which was what I had wanted and the dining list is quite short. A handful of entrees but all seem delicious. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jalapeno22Dined on 5/22/2014It was chilly and noisy, w tables too close together. Food was meh. Service okay, but difficult to hear our server over the noise. Didn't live up to the pricing or to its reputation.
- Special lunchdine4funDined on 5/20/2014It was our second time at Waban Kitchen but our first time for lunch. The blue fish cakes were spectacular! We had a great server, Manny, who was very attentive. It was my wife's birthday, and the manager surprised us with a sorbet desert. Waban Kitchen is a wonderfully accommodating place. The combination of great food a great service makes us want to come back again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As AdvertisedsatisfiedDined on 5/17/2014Waban Kitchen advertises itself as "creative american" and it does a pretty good job of achieving that. We had a great mean of more obscure cuts of meat and fish like rabbit and skate wing paired with classic sides such as turnip mash and dirty rice. At about $30 an entree, it's not a cheap place to eat, but for the right night it's a great option.Special Features:
- Unpretentious storefront surprise!LaikaDined on 5/17/2014As long as anyone sits in the window area, a quiet, mostly private dinner can be enjoyed, and we certainly enjoyed our meal in that space not long ago. The rest of the place looks cheek by jowl with other diners. At least in warm weather, there is outdoor seating. The food is outstanding!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- savoryeaterVIPDined on 5/10/2014First time there, for lunch. The dinner menu has always looked very limited to me. The lunch menu is small, too, but nice. I had a black bean and quinoa burger -- nothing exceptional, but the fries were excellent and the presentation was very nice. I enjoyed my meal, but wouldn't rush back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/8/2014Tables are too close together especially if you are sitting next to someone who has a loud voice as we were.
- Wonderful experiencemarlbethDined on 5/7/2014From the moment we stepped into the restaurant we were treated very well. A low key, comfortable atmosphere with an interesting menu. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 309 reviews are from the Waban Kitchen reviews archive.
- Good, But...MIndymamaDined on 5/3/2014We just were not impressed with the variety of menu options, the food was good but not great, the service was the same--almost as though we were not quite a burden, but an afterthought sort of, though friendly waitress when we engaged her. Truly not a bad place, just not worth the price, and we don't usually mind an expensive meal if it is truly worth it. I will say my husband's dessert was amazing...smores pie, and his crawfish dinner special was appealing and good, but not much food for the price, though the little crawfish shells were cute...
- lovely setting but lackluster foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/2/2014The ambience as always was lovely and the service was friendly and professional. The bar continues to put out excellent cocktails. The place manages to have a fun and energetic atmosphere, but you can hear yourself and your companions. With all this going for it, it's too bad that the food isn't better. To start, the menu is not inspiring and a bit boring. Two of our entrée dishes - chicken roulade and rabbit - were dry and really lacking in flavor. The grilled octopus appetizer is very tasty. The sorbet and ice cream have terrific flavor and texture. Great people and atmosphere but the food needs to follow suit.Special Features:
- ServiceUnhappydinerDined on 5/1/2014The food was good but we were put off by our server. There were several items on the menu that we were unfamiliar with and she was extremely snobby in an explanation and continued with attitude during the meal. Would not return to this restaurant.
- Small menu but quality foodBtobinsVIPDined on 4/30/2014This review is for lunch only bt I will try for dinner eventually. This is a cute , small neighborhood place with small , mostly sandwiches but a few salads as well.two if us enjoyed a simple but well prepared lunch- salmon burger and veggie burger. We were both pleased with our meal and woukd returnSpecial Features: