1649 Beacon Street
Waban, MA 02468Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.wabankitchen.com/
- Phone: (617) 558-7677
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday 5 - 10
Friday and Saturday 5 - 10:30
Tuesday - Thursday 5 - 11
Friday and Saturday 5 - 11:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jeff Fournier
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Farm to Table, Full Bar, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Waban Kitchen
The second venture of Chef Jeff Fournier, chef/owner of 51 Lincoln, Waban Kitchen focuses on the principles of tradition and creativity. It is our mission to provide you with an experience that exceeds the high standards of quality that we set for ourselves. We take pride in our passion and dedication to hospitality and welcome you as a guest in our home. We aim to create an experience that showcases both food and drink and crafted pairings to reflect such a philosophy.Continued
Please contact Michael at the number provided for bookings of parties 5 or more.
Please contact Michael at the number provided for bookings of parties 5 or more.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Waban Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Waban ›
Waban Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (59)fit for foodies (46)romantic (12)notable wine list (10)vibrant bar scene (10)special occasion (10)hot spot (6)great for outdoor dining (4)late-night find (4)great for lunch (3)good for groups (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/20/2014Poor value overall; expensive, and small portions. Plus, it's obnoxious and arrogant when the waiter presents the specials and does not tell the price. (Of course, the special was more expensive than anything on the menu.) It seems this restaurant only wants customers who don't care about the cost or having a full meal.
- overall just OKCricketDined on 11/20/2014The overall experience was ok, but I will not rush back. Our server was very personable and attentive, however there was almost an hour between the time we ordered and the time our meal came out. Luckily, our group of friends had a lot to talk about but after a while it became obvious that we were waiting too long. We were given a complementary bowl of soup after about 30 minutes but no one acknowledged it was related to the wait. The entrees were great, but the dessert was a disappointment. The goat cheese sauce on the chocolate honey cake could have been a little sweetened. The flavor of the cheese just didn't go with the cake. We left a generous tip, despite the long wait for our food, because the server was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/15/2014The Bartenders make this place. Get a boring one and the night is ruined.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in Newton!JamesonDined on 11/13/2014Jeff (chef/owner) never ceases to amaze. The meals are always fresh and new. I've only been there a few times but most of the staff know me by name. You truly feel welcome and the service is superb. The atmosphere is cozy and warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Neighborhood hot spot!DaveVIPDined on 11/11/2014Jeff Fournier has another neighborhood hit in Waban. Creative menu, vibrant place with attentive, fun, knowledgeable staff. Jeff himself was in the kitchen this week. We had dinner with friends who were very impressed. Creative menu with daily changes. the cheese and charcuterie to start was a real treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Talented chef, superb service630butnotbluehairDined on 11/8/2014So glad to have dining like this in Newton. Incredibly creative menu that doesn't try to be "cute". Phenomenal range of dishes that are all executed with precision. Cocktail menu and wine list are top-notch, and the decaf is never "burned". Outstanding, yet unpretentious gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good appetizers & wine but...FoodfunDined on 11/6/2014The main dishes were fatty and missed the mark. First time we've not had an overall great experience there.Special Features:
- PerfectionJeanneVIPDined on 11/4/2014We had a reservation for two and opted to sit at the bar for dinner. Our bartender/server M was fantastic and the food was AMAZING. The chef worked with my dairy allergy and M sent my dining companion home with an herbal tea blend meant to sooth her sore throat. I can't wait to return and also visit the sister restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty but saltymelisVIPDined on 10/31/2014I had a wonderful dinner the other night at this local gem. My parents were in from out of town and I was really excited to share this restaurant with them. We all loved the ambiance and the service was fantastic. Our food was great and we are excited to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super!RebeccaVIPDined on 10/31/2014We've been wanting to try the Waban Kitchen for over two years and finally ate there on Friday night. Everything was terrific -- good atmosphere, attentive service, delicious food and wine. We will look forward to our second visit soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun night!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/30/2014The food was interesting and flavorful. Cocktails were delicious. A good time at a local gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014Very nice experience. The place is lovely. Food was great. Server was extremely attentive and knowledgeable. Wines (I chose on the lower end of the cost spectrum) were only fair. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Terrific Experiencekmg1016Dined on 10/18/2014We really enjoyed our visit, this meal was to celebrate our anniversary and every aspect of the experience was terrific. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Good reliable placewineguyVIPDined on 10/3/2014Waban Kitchen is relatively small and often booked. The food is reliable if not special. The portions appropriate with lots of salt. I usually get the chicken which is generously seasoned. Not sure why the chef considers brown mashed potatoes something to be desired. Wine pours are on the small size. Good local place. Have been to Waban Kitchen a dozen times or so and will return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved thisOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/27/2014It took us a while to get to Waban Kitchen, but it was worth the wait. We loved our server- and the food was terrific. My favorite element was the pesto with focaccia. And the chocolate mousse with churros was divine. Can't wait to return!Special Features:
- Nice selectionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014I was excited to try something that I found on the menu online but it wasn't on the rotating menu. After I tried the food I wasn't upset that I couldn't have the tartare, instead I was excited to come back. I liked my cocktails and my date enjoyed the beer selection. We split the crab cakes & mussels for appetizers and the duck for our entree. All were very good. My date, who is a cook, said he liked it too but the crab cakes didn't wow him; though he would order it again. There was a lot of meat in the crab cake, and I loved them.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/26/2014Interesting ingredients and best cooking techniques don't always produce a "yum" experience, but at Waban Kitchen it does.Special Features:
- Waban's BestfoodieVIPDined on 9/17/2014Don't let the secret out, but Waban Kitchen is a rare suburban gem - all the chic of a downtown hot spot. Fabulous food and lovely, happening atmosphere. I love it there.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/16/2014While I did not label this 'kid friendly', our experience eating dinner at Waban Kitchen with our 9 and 4 year old daughters was excellent. The wait staff was very helpful and welcoming. Between the four of us we shared three entrees. We had salmon, duck, and chicken. It was very good.Special Features:
- Very pleasantrepeatVIPDined on 9/13/2014First time here (had eaten many times in the prior restaurants at this location); very simple but interesting menu, well executed (perfectly cooked duck breast; great bluefish, etc); nice mix of beers and wines by the glass. Service was efficient but inobtrusive. Room was also quieter than in previous arrangements. Definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bosdinerDined on 9/9/2014First time at this restaurant. Had a reservation and got seated right away. Tables are close, noise level is high due to open kitchen and close quarters for diners. Waitress was efficient but not particularly cordial. I asked about the "Daily Special" listed on their website as I was looking forward to it (a flounder dish) and was told that was Saturday's special (this was Tuesday). They don't bother to keep the site up to date. No apology, just made me feel silly for asking. Bread and dipping sauce are great. Entrees are limited. We had the salmon and a roasted chicken dish. The salmon came with a pasta which was OK, not great for the price. The roasted chicken, potatoes & grilled squash was quite good. Good coffee and ice cream dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Foodkmg1016Dined on 9/6/2014We had a really nice meal at Waban Kitchen. The food is excellent and the service is top-notch.Special Features:
- Not as good as the sister restaurant 51 LincolnBearRedDined on 9/6/2014Missed the mark in several areas. Pricey drinks were not well prepared. Two of the four dinners were not very tasty. Apps were only okay. Overpriced for the overall experience. Prefer the sister restaurant 51 Lincoln in Newton Highlands, where I have never had a bad meal.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014Had a lovely dinner. Interesting food combinations and presentation. great wine selectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/4/2014This is a favorite of ours. Very casual & low key with excellent food. Both the Salmon & the Bluefish were excellent.Special Features:
- special occasioncuriouseaterDined on 8/29/2014we were at WK to celebrate a birthday - Having requested a "quiet" table, we were happy that the table reserved for us was the table by front window. The flowers on the table were very limp and dying - our great server changed the vase but not the flowers - a lame effort - would have been better to have no . Our server was excellent; food was disappointing -- the items I finally ordered (the empanada & artisanal greens ) were mediocre. The corn side, which was highly praised, was a waste of corn, or a coverup for old corn - couldn't taste the corn, though the crumbs were tasty. The seviche was disappointing - seemed cooked and was an overwhelming portions size; too much seafood on the menu, and too much irrelevant fruit in various dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Good!SweetpeaVIPDined on 8/29/2014We dined at Waban Kitchen the other night and had a really enjoyable evening! The food was amazing - I had the chicken and my partner had the pork chop. The place is super cute inside and service was excelllent. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/28/2014In the past, we always enjoyed Waban Kitchen. However, our last experience was not great. When asked about the pork dish, the bar tender said that the chef cooks it the way he thinks best. I asked if it would be prepared medium rare and she responded yes. The pork was cooked medium, tough and dry. There used to be a wonderful bar tender, who was experienced, knew how to take care of his customers and was well versed in the menu and wines. This was not the case. Although it was not a busy night, a father and two small children were seated at the bar next to us. It felt like I was dining in Friendly's.
- Eh.....SoSoDined on 8/27/2014We expected a better overall experience but, everything was just okay. Almost every dish arrived "over-complicated". It seems like the chef can't help himself when it comes to mixing spices, when in doubt he seems to add another and another.
- CeceDined on 8/26/2014We ate outside on warm summer evening. Service was attentive. And the food was fantastic-from the homemade bread and pesto, the grilled romaine salads, fresh blue fish, rare duck breast to thedivine chocolate mousse , there were no missteps in any dish. We loved it and are looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty mealSlipperyslopeVIPDined on 8/23/2014Loved the pork chop with peach marmalade, could have used more of the marmalade. Seating is not so comfortable, pretty tight between the tables for two. Enthusiastic service on a slow night. Really ugly art on the walls was a hindrance to the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemGiannetta1Dined on 8/13/2014Couldn't be better. Service is exceptional. Food is unique but not crazy unique and is all dishes I've had have been excellent.Special Features:
- Great foodpixelgemDined on 8/2/2014Expressive menu, fresh ingredients, good service. Small and cramped, but charming. Glad to have stumbled upon this restaurant while taking the back roads home through Newton.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentGiannetta1Dined on 8/2/2014Excellent food and service. However, for the older set (over 75) it IS hard to hear what your friends at YOUR are saying. The noise level is high. Best tables are opposite the bar. The food and the service DO compensate for the noise level as both are excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keeps getting better.AndyVIPDined on 7/31/2014Fabulous to have in our neighborhood. Worth traveling for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 337 reviews are from the Waban Kitchen reviews archive.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2014This was our third time dining at Waban Kitchen; we had enjoyed it on the previous occasions. This time we were both disappointed. I ordered scallops and was a bit surprised to see only three of them. My guest ordered the fried chicken and we were surprised that he received only a small thigh and a wing. It really wasn't enough food for him. My guest felt that the service was off and speculated if it was because we did not order alcohol that night.
- Beyond expectationsDaveSDined on 7/23/2014Restaurant was recommended to me as it was close to my work. Had the melon soup and sardine salad specials. They were outstanding. Topped the meal with watermelon vodka sorbet. Could not have been better. Awesome find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sandiDined on 7/16/2014We had a terrible experience and would never recommend this restaurant to anyone. We had booked a table for 4 asking for a quiet place as 2 of us have hearing issues. We were taken past a nice table for 4 to the back of the restaurant and sat in front of the kitchen at a table for 8, so we would have not only the kitchen noise to contend with but also noise from 4 others. We placed our order and my friend can't eat potatoes so asked for a tomato as a replacement..the chef said fine but would charge an extra $2 for this..We were disgusted .We left passing the table meant for 4 (which the matre d told us was being saved)and there were only 2 people sitting there. All in all a very bad experience!!
- Delicious food, superb service!JPachDined on 7/12/2014Apps: fried pickles and the mushroom tart. Both were excellent! The fried pickles are thick cut and thinly battered with great sauce. Next, we had the short ribs and southern fried chicken. The short rib was tender and flavorful and the 3 bean salad was very good. The southern fried chicken was tasty, but on the bone, so a little difficult to eat. The grits with the SFC were a little thin, more like sauce, but the collard greens were superb. For dessert: butterscotch ice cream and peach galette. My husband hated the IC because he thought it had a "coffee" flavor but I thought it was more like burnt sugar and wonderful. The galette pastry was only ok, but peaches were nice. *Downtown area is all shut down on Sunday evenings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gfthDined on 7/11/2014A quiet, slightly out of the way restaurant [which is good] WK always delivers. We had been before and will visit again Our visits have been me and wife but we plan a group visit to occupy the harvest table next to the open kitchen.Special Features: