1649 Beacon Street
Waban, MA 02468Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.wabankitchen.com/
- Phone: (617) 558-7677
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday 5 - 10
Friday and Saturday 5 - 10:30
Tuesday - Thursday 5 - 11
Friday and Saturday 5 - 11:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jeff Fournier
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Farm to Table, Full Bar, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Waban Kitchen
The second venture of Chef Jeff Fournier, chef/owner of 51 Lincoln, Waban Kitchen focuses on the principles of tradition and creativity. It is our mission to provide you with an experience that exceeds the high standards of quality that we set for ourselves. We take pride in our passion and dedication to hospitality and welcome you as a guest in our home. We aim to create an experience that showcases both food and drink and crafted pairings to reflect such a philosophy.Continued
Please contact Michael at the number provided for bookings of parties 5 or more.
Please contact Michael at the number provided for bookings of parties 5 or more.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Waban Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Waban ›
Waban Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (59)fit for foodies (45)romantic (11)vibrant bar scene (10)special occasion (10)notable wine list (9)hot spot (6)great for outdoor dining (4)late-night find (4)great for lunch (3)good for groups (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great atmosphere, food andEstesVIPDined on 3/14/2014Great atmosphere, food and service! No disappointments in three visits!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too upscale for the neighborhoodBigflakVIPDined on 3/14/2014The service was first rate and the food was very good, albeit pricey with relative small portions. Clearly, a foodie place. Not the kind of neighborhood restaurant you would want to go on a regular basis, unless you're a hedge fund manager.Special Features:
- Great place to meet a friendOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/12/2014Great place to meet a friend and relax. Food was delicious and a a bit different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not do muchNeighborVIPDined on 2/27/2014We have been here for dinner and enjoyed it. A friend took me for lunch and we were both very disappointed. The good was dry and tasteless. The room was freezing cold. The wait staff was poor. Is it really that difficult to bring bread and your pesto while we wait 30 minutes for a burger? No dressing for the salad. Really? A drop of ketchup after we asked for it twice ? Maybe lunch isn't your thing. I'll go back for dinner once more but only because I bought a groupon. Never again for lunch. Menu isn't that good for lunch and the chefs certainly are not as talentedSpecial Features:
- Hit or MissJimboVIPDined on 2/21/2014We shared several small & medium plates (no entree). Some were fabulous (cauliflower) some were mediocre (calamari). Enjoyed the evening despite being disappointed by a couple of dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but cramped seatingWabaniteDined on 2/14/2014Pleasantly surprised that the Valentines prix fix was a good selection and all elements were very good. Biggest downer was the fact that diners are all bunched together... to get out from one side, the whole table needs to be slid out since no room on either side of any table, except at the end of long row. Almost communal seating. Twice we saw people move from tables to the bar to get more room and comfort... indicative how little room there was. The must fix that before we'd consider going again.Special Features:
- A truly wonderful small venueKennVIPDined on 2/14/2014A truly wonderful small venue for some of the more innovative and delicious dishes to be found. Attention to detail and service is consistently wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An amazing experience! EachOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/8/2014An amazing experience! Each of the four diners had a luscious meal with extraordinary service. We loved it!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big Bucks for an "OK" Timeliv2eatDined on 2/4/2014Too pretentious and expensive for just a neighborhood weekday out. That is the best way to describe this experience. Wines by the glass were overpriced as were the entrees. Dinner for two with shared app, one entrée and two other "small plates" and a glass of wine for each was $115 with tip. No coffee, no dessert just the basics. The food was slightly better than average with nothing really standing out. This is a great location, an attractive newly decorated space and convenient to have. Hopefully the owners will realize that a small store front, neighborhood place should have a different approach.
- Eclectic menu, enjoyed our choicesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/4/2014With one member of our party of 3 severely allergic to fish and a decision we would all avoid fish there weren't many choices. We all had the pork entrée on the menu which was superb. The meat was tender enough to cut with a fork but pink inside with interesting and tasty accompaniments. Apple cranberry tart with vanilla ice cream for dessert was delicious.. The restaurant has a large bar and limited seating, can be a bit chilly in very cold weather, door opens directly into the restaurant w/a heavy curtain as a buffer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food creations fromKennVIPDined on 2/4/2014Wonderful food creations from superlative chefs. I love this cozy place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow Roasted -not to good- PorkOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/31/2014We had been at the restaurant for lunch and really enjoy it. For dinner, it was a different experience. The smoked poblano and corn tamales as a starter were testy with the cream and Mexican salsa, but I was very disappointed with the Slow Roasted Kurobuta pork. The quality of the cut was poor -the meat had fat and tendons and was not tasty at all. I was tempted to return it, but we had a time limit on our siting (yes we were told we had to finish our meal by 6:30 for the next reservation)..
- Very nice spot for lunch -BobbieDined on 1/31/2014Very nice spot for lunch - haven't had dinner there yet, because it's always packed! We were all happy with our choices: 2 of the regular menu sandwiches, chicken and salmon, plus the daily special of bacon-wrapped meatloaf. The server was very pleasant and attentive, but not overbearing. One of us ordered dessert, and it was so generous that even three enthusiastic eaters could t finish it.Special Features:
- Very Close QuartersSaraVIPDined on 1/30/2014We were seated near the door, which brought in a big gust of cold air every time it was opened. We were seated so close to the tables on our right and left that someone had to get up every time a person needed to go to the rest room. I personally had to get up 3 times to let my neighbors out of their table. Food was pretty good, pricey though. The dessert came with the option of a $2 scoop of ice cream --- Really????? I thought that was a bit much. Would not rush back to this place.
- Consistently wonderful! ImaginativeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/29/2014Consistently wonderful! Imaginative food - the roasted pumpkin appetizer is amazing. We are all lucky it's now open for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but crampedRestaurantRegularVIPDined on 1/28/2014The food and service at Waban Kitchen is great and worth going a bit early or a bit late to get a reservation. The only complaint about the restaurant is that the tables are too close together -think inches. They stagger the reservations to try to make ti better but as a small popular restaurant - plan to get cozy with the table next to you.Special Features:
- Very cozy setting, perhapsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/25/2014Very cozy setting, perhaps too cozy as the tables are right next to one another. Mushroom soup is a bit small considering the price and not extraordinary in character. The large chicken entree is delicious; hake was also excellent. The dining experience is not overwhelming, but this is partially due to the claustrophobic sitting. Will try again...I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic spot for early diningFoodguyVIPDined on 1/25/2014This was our second visit to Waban Kitchen. Great location with plenty of free parking. I would recommend an early reservation as the tables are very cramped, almost communal seating. We were seated right away and the service was exceptional. Everything we ate was fantastic. Would highly recommend the five spice chicken, it's simply amazing. The Cambodian Hake dish was equally good. We didn't try dessert on this trip, but remember it to be very tasty. Looking forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, relaxed atmosphere,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/24/2014Great service, relaxed atmosphere, a little tight in space, enjoyable wine recommended by server when my choice was unavailable. overall pleasant experience in my own neighborhood. would visit again!Special Features:
- fine in the neighborhoodchochip4VIPDined on 1/24/2014seats very, very close together, makes any conversation nearly impossible,
- great lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/24/2014I live in Waban and have been continuously intimidated by the crowds I see every evening at Waban Kitchen. Now that they are open for lunch, I thought I would take advantage of a table that is easier to get. I ordered the black bean quinoa burger and enjoyed it thoroughly. My friend had the squash/kale salad and was equally pleased. Our server was friendly and efficient. More vegetarian and healthy options than there seemed to be on the dinner menu. And, I thought, reasonably priced for what you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmospheretacogirlDined on 1/22/2014Waban Kitchen is attractive and cozy, food both comforting and occasionally popping with flavor. The sides are better than usual (the roasted cauliflower is exceptional and interesting), but mains sometimes hit and sometimes miss. Fun to sit at the bar where almost half the spots are.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/18/2014We enjoyed the food at Waban Kitchen, very creative and unusual. Do make a reservation. The service was great all around. We will certainly be back.The only very minor problem was that the seating is so tight (about 4 inches between tables) that it is difficult to not overhear conversations and it makes it hard for people with hearing issues. However, I must say that the people next to us were friendly and it was fun to chat with them.Special Features:
- Great dinner at neighborhood gem!Delish1VIPDined on 1/18/2014Saturday my husband and I went out for an early dinner and had a great meal at Waban Kitchen. We sat at the bar because the tables are very close together. This would be my only complaint. The bartenders were awesome making creative drinks that are listed on the menu. They are very talented!!! The menu is not extensive but creative with something for everyone. My husband had the special which was a slow roasted pork dish that had been cooking for 18 hours. He loved it! I had the shrimp appetizer and the small size of their pasta dish. Yummy!! Each bite of my meal I said "wow this is really good". Many times your first few bites are impressive but then it fades away. Eating at Waban Kitchen my last bite was just as good as my first!!!Special Features:
- Friendly/great foodDuckDined on 1/17/2014We have eaten here twice, and not disappointed either time. Michael, the manager, is fabulous. Food fabulous, wait staff attentive without being obtrusive, atmosphere vibrant.Special Features:
- Favorite neighborhood dining nookBrianDined on 1/16/2014I had a great dinner with my folks, the food was hot, services was good, noise was energetic but not disturbing, environment intimate. You just need to plan ahead to make sure you get a table because they fill up fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant is too crammed.hcrsDined on 1/15/2014This restaurant is too crammed. the tables are way too close together. therefore you are part of the next tables conversation, and feel like using their salt will never go back
- Good food, difficult seatingShaynaVIPDined on 1/15/2014Even though it was a Wednesday at 6:00 the place was busy. I had requested a quiet table, but the host attempted to seat my husband and me in the middle of a row of tables for two with no more than six inches separation from one another. When I mentioned my "quiet table" request, he directed us to one end of a table usually for six with the understanding that two more people would be seated there. That turned out to be fine, but not if we were looking for a romantic dinner for two. On the other hand, the food was very good. We shared a calamari appetizer and each had the duck breast entree. For dessert we shared a pear tart. All were delicious, although a bit pricy. From now on, we'll stick to their sister restaurant 51 Lincoln.Special Features:
- Every morsel we ate was delicious.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/14/2014Every morsel we ate was delicious. I had roast duck breast with grilled radicchio and some poached pears. It was prepared perfectly. I highly recommend it as a neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- 51 Lincoln StShadowDined on 1/11/2014We eat at Jeff's other restaurant all the time. Waban Kitchen is more low keyed but delicious and fun. Great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Dining Experienceebdining1VIPDined on 1/11/2014Had a wonderful dinner at Waban Kitchen with friends. Food was beautifully presented. Two of us ordered the shrimp appetizer which was one of the most delicious dishes ever. I would have ordered this appetizer as a main course - it was that good! Salad were large and tasty. The only disappointment was with the duck - it was on the dry side and there was an end piece on the plate that was very chewy. Otherwise the chicken, salmon and pasta were all fabulous.The dessert of peanut butter and chocolate pie was a very generous slice (enough for the four of us to share) and was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the service was very goodlennykDined on 1/10/2014the service was very good as was the food but we were seated more than 20 minutes after the time of our reservationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time was great2frequentdinersVIPDined on 1/10/2014Never ate at this restaurant before. Not sure what to expect. Table was ready when we arrived - not always the case. Service was probably the best we have had in a restaurant in a long time. Servers were quick and efficient. Food came out fast and was superb. Great meal but never waiting for anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmbienceGaryDined on 1/8/2014Only downside here is that the tables are so close together that you are practically dining with your neighbors. Excellent food though.Special Features:
- Good neighborhood hang outrestaurantreviewVIPDined on 1/8/2014Waban Kitchen has a nice selection of wine and appetizers daily. Excellent spiced chicken and interesting salads. Dessert pies are big enough for two. Tables are small and there is not a lot of room to spread out, but its a good spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food! Great Service!BruceDined on 1/7/2014My wife and I went out with another couple we have not seen in a long time. This is an amazing restaurant! This is a cozy place with great food, great service and an amazing atmosphere! Very unique menu. The small plates were absolutely delicious! The Calamari was fantastic and we loved the Duck! We will be returning to Waban Kitchen!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surpriseFritzDined on 1/7/2014We have been trying to get a reservation on a week night for several months and could never find a time. So this week, with epic cold weather keeping folks home we strode into Waban Kitchen and had our choice of tables. We chose to sit at the bar since it seemed cozier on a cold night. We were greeted promptly and informed about specials and drinks in a friendly way. The bartender and waiter is exceptionally friendly, informed, and helpful. The food was good- not great- I had flank steak and my wife had shrimp. But the entire experience in this friendly, nicely designed, and well run spot is more than the sum of its parts. We liked it and will be back to dealve a little deeper into the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointing!Newton59Dined on 1/4/2014Delighted we were able to make a reservation quite easily. However downhill from there. Drinks were 1/2 full and not chilled. Two items that had been raved about in previous reviews no longer on the menu. The calamari appetizer was the best food of the night. Pumpkin appetizer and chacuterie plate both unappealing presentation and tasteless . 2 beef entrees were tough. Monk fish was tasteless. Pasta dish was very large with minimal, bland sauce. 1 dessert pie shared. Waitstaff sang Happy Birthday (thank you). Pie crust VERY TOUGH as also had been mentioned in previous reviews.
- ?too successful too fastdfwrVIPDined on 1/3/2014Unfortunately we find that Waban Kitchen is slipping... the experience isn't what it used to be and the value for the price doesn't seem to be there these days. We have been there 5-6 times and the last couple of dinners have had a couple of highlights and a couple of mediocre dishes. (This time the kale salad was great, but the Amok was heavy on the rice and the spice, with a small piece of not great fish. Desserts were uneven.) The decor and "feel" of the place are wonderful, but tables are VERY close together--it's not so much the noise level that's a problem, but that you can clearly hear the conversation on both sides of you.
- a perfect New Year's evelovetoeatDined on 12/31/2013prix fixe dinner menu was a delicious bargain; service attentive and properly pacedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.