WA Frost & Company
374 Selby Ave
Saint Paul, MN 55102Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
WA Frost & Company
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.wafrost.com/
- Phone: (651) 224-5715
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:30am - 1:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 1:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:30am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Wyatt Evans
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Dining available. Please visit our website for detailed information.
- Private Party Contact: Julia Struve 6512907135
A word from WA Frost & Company
This is a favorite Saint Paul dining destination since 1975. The Restaurant is housed in the turn-of-the-century Dacotah Building which lies in the heart of the historic Cathedral Hill District. W. A. Frost has incomparable ambiance and rare old world character. It boasts several grand wood-burning fireplaces, a charming old bar and the European-style garden patio and garden bar and lounge. The new American cuisine at W. A. Frost is derived from an eclectic mix of ingredients meticulously sourced, with a very strong emphasis on local small farmers that use organic and sustainable practices. Minnesota's best wine list, best outdoor dining in the Twin Cities and the most romantic restaurant are just a few awards received.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
WA Frost & Company - Best Restaurants in St. Paul ›
WA Frost & Company reviews from OpenTable diners
220 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (145)romantic (119)great for outdoor dining (116)neighborhood gem (111)fit for foodies (92)notable wine list (62)good for groups (52)great for lunch (44)great for brunch (28)late-night find (17)hot spot (16)scenic view (15)vibrant bar scene (10)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Casual supperhappydaughterDined on 11/15/2014I needed a quiet spot for an early supper with my elderly mother and my niece. I asked for a quiet table and got one! We had a perfect table for three and loved sharing several small plates. The tea selection was astounding. My mother was thrilled with the architecture and ambience near the fireplace. Thanks for a perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeChrisNLisaDined on 11/13/2014Come here every year to celebrate my wifes birthdaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/12/2014My mothers 85th B-Day - so several in the party are hard of hearing. We were seated in a secluded area, table for 6. Quiet allowed for ease of conversation - along with great food and service, that made the event. Also, surprise family member showed up and we squeezed 7 at a 6 at our request - wanting to be a "close" group. Wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scrumptious and ComfortableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014Had a wonderful night of dining for a family birthday. Start with the cheese plate, and indulge with somSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LinaDined on 11/9/2014The cozy ambiance and softly played classical music is a big draw. The food and service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but........MaddiesMomDined on 11/8/2014Despite reservations at 7:30, we were not seated until almost 8:00. We noted in our reservation that 2 of the 4 of us were celebrating birthdays. We had no acknowledgment of this, not even a "happy birthday" greeting. And we weren't trolling for a free drink or dessert. The noise level was more than "energetic" as listed above. Very difficult to have a conversation across the table using normal voices. Do not recommend for an evening of conversation. We were seated right in front of the fireplace, and we were all over-heated, and interrupted by the host feeding the fire several times.Special Features:
- Surpassed our expectationstonytvhDined on 11/8/2014Our service was 5-star quality and our waiter was superb. He knew the menu, made some excellent recommendations and was a compliment to the experience. He is the type of waiter along with his team of servers that reataurants try to emulate. Bravo!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frost continues to pleaseNonsequitr60Dined on 11/8/2014It has been a while since I last ate at WA Frost, but a birthday celebration had me walking through their doors and stepping back into the past. It is a wonderful please to sit and enjoy a leisurely brunch with friends. Once the place was full it was a bit noisy, but the food was incredible and the atmosphere unique. The service was top notch and the cheese plate was a very pleasant surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First disappointment in many yearsHoosierDined on 11/7/2014I have been going to WA Frost for a number of years and have always been impressed with both the food and the service. However, my last visit was a huge disappointment. As usual the food was good, but everything else was poor. The service was slow in terms of taking our orders, both for appetizers and the main course, there were no offers for refills for coffee, and used dished pilled up at the table. Other service issues included a knife so dull my date could barely cut her meat (and the server was no where to be found to ask for another) and a watery cocktail that my date mistook as a "virgin" cocktail when she sipped it. Get with it Frost, there are too many great alternative restaurants for you to make these kinds of rookie errors.
- Wa frost dinnerTwlambDined on 11/2/2014Service was excellent! Menu seemed small... At least for the main entrees. The food was great, squash risotto- oh my gosh- exceeded expectations. Mussels spicy and coconut sauce with the bread- scrumptious! Ports cheeks- fork tender. Wine selection either by the glass or bottle was varied and quite nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On WA FrostOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014Great food, service and Atmosphere. Can't wait to do it again!Special Features:
- MinneapolisfoodieDined on 11/1/2014Waited 45 minutes to be steed for our reservation. That is excessive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurpisedcutterDined on 11/1/2014We had not been to W A Frost in many years and were pleased to see marked improvement in the quality of the fare which had been pedestrian. We found it to be quite good with a broad range of options that would fit almost any taste. The starters/plates to share were interesting but if you had a person with nut allergies and an aversion to spicy food reduced themselves to two. The entrees were quite good from fish to beef. One of us had two sides of vegetables for her dinner and was highly pleased. Definitely a place to go to in the future.Special Features:
- Yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/26/2014Always a favorite place to eat, wonderful food and exceptional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Date Ever!Luv2dine2dishDined on 10/25/2014I was absolutely blown away by this dining experience. We were celebrating a birthday. Our server, Paul, quickly brought us a glass of champagne and wished me a happy birthday. He was so helpful in recommending cocktails. The beef skewers were the highlight of the night! My date and I found ourselves in heaven because of the wonderful complexity of flavors. This is an absolute treat that won't cost an arm and a leg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will try again but check menu firstLovefindingyummyfoodDined on 10/25/2014I found this restaurant online and the pictures looked amazing , but on arrival was told the awesome lower level was off limits for an event... Bummer! Menu was ok, lots of fish. Overall, we weren't wowed, would maybe try again. They played wonderful classical music- nice atmosphere.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb ServiceMPLSguruDined on 10/24/2014As expected, the waiting staff is superb and the food was excellent. The pheasant dish I had was the best I'd ever had. Yes, you will pay more for the great ambiance, service and perfectly prepared food, but you get what you pay for, and you get your money's worth here.Special Features:
- CindesavvyoneDined on 10/19/2014Ambiance is lovely, one of the best fromage selections I have seen.Special Features:
- Fantastic EveningSeanDined on 10/18/2014Beautiful restaraunt nestled in St Paul. The service was worthy of a 4 star dining experience. Fairly diverse menu, supplemented by an endless wine list. Wonderful first time meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DalyhungerDined on 10/18/2014It was a great night, very good food and service. Made reservations 2 weeks in advance, surprised we had to stand around waiting for our table. Everyone was attentive and got us seated as soon as possible. Not a deal breaker, we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AcceptablejmegDined on 10/18/2014I have been to WA Frost many times, for some reason this trip was not great. I was there with a group of 11 for an early birthday celebration for myself and the service was not great nor was the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/17/2014I love this place. I love that they change up the menu for the seasons. The atmosphere is always perfect, imitmate. The servers really know the menu and are so helpful in suggestions. Most importantly the food is ALWAYS good. I have never been disappointed. Love the cheese plate for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Historic RestaurantDinersRUsDined on 10/17/2014We loved the decor of this Historic gem. Listening to classical music while dining is perfect for us. The Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato soup was delicious. Our entrees of the pan roasted Great Lakes Whitefish with summer vegetables succotash and Smoked Chicken salad with white Balsamic vinaigrette were very tasty. We shared a mini Creme Brûlée which was the perfect end to a fabulous meal. Our server was very attentive to us even though the dining room was nearly full. Great first time experience. We'll be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable eveningStpauliteVIPDined on 10/15/2014The menu was innovative but not too intimidating for all in our party. We sampled the cocktails which were pitch perfect. Each entree had excellent flavor profiles from fish to chops. Wait staff were attentive & knowledgable. We will return for the next special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited menu, okay servicePrettyEasytoPleaseDined on 10/13/2014Dined here on a Monday evening so it wasn't too busy but still it seemed the servers were spread a little thin. At least that would help explain the lack of attention to our table and why it took 25 minutes to get our first drink and for our appetizer order to be taken. Chairs were terribly uncomfortable to sit in.. actually had to go to the car to get a blanket for my mother to sit on because the restaurants chairs are so bad. Overall our party of 7 thought the food was okay. Good comments about the mussels for an appetizer, and those who ordered the whitefish liked it very much. My pork chop was very overcooked... do not recommend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Was hoping the outdoor patio was still open ... a fantastic part of the experience at WA Frost. Unfortunaley it was closed. Experience was still good.Special Features:
- Very NiceBobRDDined on 10/11/2014Went after PHC. Place was busy; very nice atmosphere/environment; relatively large menu selection; appeared to be something for everyone; fish was nicely prepared; presentation was good; several sides available that were appealing -- we had the risotto, very good; good beer and wine list; good dessert selection including a dessert sampler trio which was good for sharing; service was also good but not overly attentive. We made a reservation on Open Table which was easy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisitesjswag68Dined on 10/11/2014Excellent food and unrivaled ambiance...we spent four hours dining at W.A. Frost and would trade a minute of it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Excellent service and menu. Good food, served fast, great servers, just an all around good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration dinnerBetsyDined on 10/10/2014My husband, son and I dined at WA Frost to celebrate my birthday and we couldn't have picked a better place. The service was impeccable and the food was interesting and delicious. So many restaurants have no imagination, but you could never say that about WA Frost. We chose to have an appetizer and dessert meal and we're not disappointed. We had a meal with stunning variety for Korean wings to mussels to artichoke dip and then had desserts that were a work of art. My 'Kit Kat Bar' was a masterpiece! My husband and son enjoyed the choices on the beer list and I had a memorable Cote de Rhone from an impressive wine list.Special Features:
- Always Special WA FrostSalMemphisVIPDined on 10/8/2014This is my go to place for special customers in St. Paul. Especially when decorated for the holidays or outside on the patio. There is something for everyone on the menu. The pumpkin soup and whitefish were tasty. Make sure to get dessert trioSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A night to remember...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/3/2014What a wonderful experience. We had the Chefs tasting menu, a 6 course meal that was luxurious and delicious. Andrew, our waiter, even sang happy birthday to me. Little did we know that he is an experienced singer, performing in over 25 productions at the Minnesota Opera. What a wonderful night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service & great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2014Our server was great - very on the ball with a lovely personality. The brunch was also delicious. We had the creme brulee and the trio for dessert - so great. Would go again anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Trip2fromoutoftownDined on 9/24/2014We live in a neighboring state. Whenever we visit the Twin Cities, we always make a point of dining at W.A. Frost. We are never disappointed. The food surpasses other restaurants (and we have eaten at restaurants throughout Europe as well). Service is always accurate. We love the ambiance and the vintage neighborhood. We will always be patrons at every visit.Special Features:
- Perfect Tasting MenuDontgetoutmuchDined on 9/20/2014We've gone here twice for our anniversary and love the tasting menu with wine pairing. Wonderful creative courses, we truly enjoyed our experience.Special Features:
- Well Worth ItMNOperaFansVIPDined on 9/20/2014It had been several years since we had dined at W.A. Frost and we are glad we went back there. The food was outstanding in preparation and presentation. We appreciated that the menu offered a wide range of prices and portion sizes for both entrées and desserts. The most outstanding part of our evening was the service. Our principal server was friendly, attentive and informative without being too chatty or cloying. The servers were constantly on the lookout for water, etc., at all the tables. Afterwards, we asked each other why we hadn't been back sooner. We'll be sure to make W.A. Frost a new regular destination.Special Features:
- Good Food, Quirky ServiceNoNickVIPDined on 9/19/2014The food is consistently good, and some of it is outstandingly good--try the artichoke dip appetizer! As others have noted, the service is uneven. Perhaps it is that servers are rushing between rooms, or inside to outside...but at one minute they are intensely hovering, too quickly, to get you to order, and then they are gone for long periods leaving you waiting. We're glad we went, and were with a group so conversation filled the void; but a really good kitchen should have better support from the wait staff. Wait staff management and training need an overhaul! If you can be patient through the gaps, by all means give WA Frost a try.I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryLucky13Dined on 9/15/2014Historic building, ambiance delicious food and wine Attetive serverSpecial Features:
- Not ImpressedEMChef1KLSDined on 9/13/2014The food was average quality and overpriced. This place is all about the Wine and cheese . Small menu of artistically named food served with a bit of culinary flare ,with no special attention to how it taste!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointedExpectbetterserviceDined on 9/13/2014A group of family went here for a special outing. Have always had a great meal. We were ignored by waiter, waited forever for water and drinks, received snide remarks from waiter as we ordered, were NEVER asked for a second drink order and had the dessert menus dropped at the table without a word or comment. Didn't order because we were afraid of how long it would take to get it. Really soured our experience for the evening. The food was very good open it arrived. Restaurant did not appear overly busy and since it was cold the patio was almost empty. For the price of the meal it was a very disappointing experience. I would only recommend the patio-will bring my special occasion business to another top name place.Special Features: