WA Frost & Company
374 Selby Ave
Saint Paul, MN 55102Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
WA Frost & Company
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.wafrost.com/
- Phone: 6512245715
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:30am - 1:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 1:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:30am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Wyatt Evans
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Dining available. Please visit our website for detailed information.
- Private Party Contact: Julia Struve 6512907135
A word from WA Frost & Company
This is a favorite Saint Paul dining destination since 1975. The Restaurant is housed in the turn-of-the-century Dacotah Building which lies in the heart of the historic Cathedral Hill District. W. A. Frost has incomparable ambiance and rare old world character. It boasts several grand wood-burning fireplaces, a charming old bar and the European-style garden patio and garden bar and lounge. The new American cuisine at W. A. Frost is derived from an eclectic mix of ingredients meticulously sourced, with a very strong emphasis on local small farmers that use organic and sustainable practices. Minnesota's best wine list, best outdoor dining in the Twin Cities and the most romantic restaurant are just a few awards received.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
WA Frost & Company - Best Restaurants in St. Paul ›
WA Frost & Company reviews from OpenTable diners
207 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (138)great for outdoor dining (127)romantic (117)neighborhood gem (99)fit for foodies (87)notable wine list (56)great for lunch (44)good for groups (40)great for brunch (28)scenic view (18)late-night find (18)hot spot (14)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- CindesavvyoneDined on 10/19/2014Ambiance is lovely, one of the best fromage selections I have seen.Special Features:
- Fantastic EveningSeanDined on 10/18/2014Beautiful restaraunt nestled in St Paul. The service was worthy of a 4 star dining experience. Fairly diverse menu, supplemented by an endless wine list. Wonderful first time meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DalyhungerDined on 10/18/2014It was a great night, very good food and service. Made reservations 2 weeks in advance, surprised we had to stand around waiting for our table. Everyone was attentive and got us seated as soon as possible. Not a deal breaker, we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AcceptablejmegDined on 10/18/2014I have been to WA Frost many times, for some reason this trip was not great. I was there with a group of 11 for an early birthday celebration for myself and the service was not great nor was the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Historic RestaurantDinersRUsDined on 10/17/2014We loved the decor of this Historic gem. Listening to classical music while dining is perfect for us. The Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato soup was delicious. Our entrees of the pan roasted Great Lakes Whitefish with summer vegetables succotash and Smoked Chicken salad with white Balsamic vinaigrette were very tasty. We shared a mini Creme Brûlée which was the perfect end to a fabulous meal. Our server was very attentive to us even though the dining room was nearly full. Great first time experience. We'll be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable eveningStpauliteVIPDined on 10/15/2014The menu was innovative but not too intimidating for all in our party. We sampled the cocktails which were pitch perfect. Each entree had excellent flavor profiles from fish to chops. Wait staff were attentive & knowledgable. We will return for the next special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited menu, okay servicePrettyEasytoPleaseDined on 10/13/2014Dined here on a Monday evening so it wasn't too busy but still it seemed the servers were spread a little thin. At least that would help explain the lack of attention to our table and why it took 25 minutes to get our first drink and for our appetizer order to be taken. Chairs were terribly uncomfortable to sit in.. actually had to go to the car to get a blanket for my mother to sit on because the restaurants chairs are so bad. Overall our party of 7 thought the food was okay. Good comments about the mussels for an appetizer, and those who ordered the whitefish liked it very much. My pork chop was very overcooked... do not recommend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Was hoping the outdoor patio was still open ... a fantastic part of the experience at WA Frost. Unfortunaley it was closed. Experience was still good.Special Features:
- Very NiceBobRDDined on 10/11/2014Went after PHC. Place was busy; very nice atmosphere/environment; relatively large menu selection; appeared to be something for everyone; fish was nicely prepared; presentation was good; several sides available that were appealing -- we had the risotto, very good; good beer and wine list; good dessert selection including a dessert sampler trio which was good for sharing; service was also good but not overly attentive. We made a reservation on Open Table which was easy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Excellent service and menu. Good food, served fast, great servers, just an all around good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration dinnerBetsyDined on 10/10/2014My husband, son and I dined at WA Frost to celebrate my birthday and we couldn't have picked a better place. The service was impeccable and the food was interesting and delicious. So many restaurants have no imagination, but you could never say that about WA Frost. We chose to have an appetizer and dessert meal and we're not disappointed. We had a meal with stunning variety for Korean wings to mussels to artichoke dip and then had desserts that were a work of art. My 'Kit Kat Bar' was a masterpiece! My husband and son enjoyed the choices on the beer list and I had a memorable Cote de Rhone from an impressive wine list.Special Features:
- Always Special WA FrostSalMemphisVIPDined on 10/8/2014This is my go to place for special customers in St. Paul. Especially when decorated for the holidays or outside on the patio. There is something for everyone on the menu. The pumpkin soup and whitefish were tasty. Make sure to get dessert trioSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A night to remember...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/3/2014What a wonderful experience. We had the Chefs tasting menu, a 6 course meal that was luxurious and delicious. Andrew, our waiter, even sang happy birthday to me. Little did we know that he is an experienced singer, performing in over 25 productions at the Minnesota Opera. What a wonderful night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service & great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2014Our server was great - very on the ball with a lovely personality. The brunch was also delicious. We had the creme brulee and the trio for dessert - so great. Would go again anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Trip2fromoutoftownDined on 9/24/2014We live in a neighboring state. Whenever we visit the Twin Cities, we always make a point of dining at W.A. Frost. We are never disappointed. The food surpasses other restaurants (and we have eaten at restaurants throughout Europe as well). Service is always accurate. We love the ambiance and the vintage neighborhood. We will always be patrons at every visit.Special Features:
- Perfect Tasting MenuDontgetoutmuchDined on 9/20/2014We've gone here twice for our anniversary and love the tasting menu with wine pairing. Wonderful creative courses, we truly enjoyed our experience.Special Features:
- Well Worth ItMNOperaFansDined on 9/20/2014It had been several years since we had dined at W.A. Frost and we are glad we went back there. The food was outstanding in preparation and presentation. We appreciated that the menu offered a wide range of prices and portion sizes for both entrées and desserts. The most outstanding part of our evening was the service. Our principal server was friendly, attentive and informative without being too chatty or cloying. The servers were constantly on the lookout for water, etc., at all the tables. Afterwards, we asked each other why we hadn't been back sooner. We'll be sure to make W.A. Frost a new regular destination.Special Features:
- Good Food, Quirky ServiceNoNickVIPDined on 9/19/2014The food is consistently good, and some of it is outstandingly good--try the artichoke dip appetizer! As others have noted, the service is uneven. Perhaps it is that servers are rushing between rooms, or inside to outside...but at one minute they are intensely hovering, too quickly, to get you to order, and then they are gone for long periods leaving you waiting. We're glad we went, and were with a group so conversation filled the void; but a really good kitchen should have better support from the wait staff. Wait staff management and training need an overhaul! If you can be patient through the gaps, by all means give WA Frost a try.I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryLucky13Dined on 9/15/2014Historic building, ambiance delicious food and wine Attetive serverSpecial Features:
- Not ImpressedEMChef1KLSDined on 9/13/2014The food was average quality and overpriced. This place is all about the Wine and cheese . Small menu of artistically named food served with a bit of culinary flare ,with no special attention to how it taste!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointedExpectbetterserviceDined on 9/13/2014A group of family went here for a special outing. Have always had a great meal. We were ignored by waiter, waited forever for water and drinks, received snide remarks from waiter as we ordered, were NEVER asked for a second drink order and had the dessert menus dropped at the table without a word or comment. Didn't order because we were afraid of how long it would take to get it. Really soured our experience for the evening. The food was very good open it arrived. Restaurant did not appear overly busy and since it was cold the patio was almost empty. For the price of the meal it was a very disappointing experience. I would only recommend the patio-will bring my special occasion business to another top name place.Special Features:
- Saturday Night at WA FrostAndynFarrelDined on 9/13/2014Frost provides a wonderful dining experience with a varied menu of excellently prepared entrees. The ambiance is incomparable, complete with elegantly appointed dining areas (both in and outside) with classical music in the background. The wine list was as varied as the menu, and the wines that we had on Saturday (a Merlot and Sauv Blanc) were outstanding. Our party had fish (salmon), pork, and a (very large) dinner salad. All this was preceded by a very nice cheese plate with flatbread. For dessert we shared the Trio, small samplings of 3 desserts. All were wonderful. We had two coffees and a tea. Tea was not on the menu (but they do have it). They need to put that back on. Ryan was our server, and he was very attentive and fun.Special Features:
- Lovely EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014I had a gathering with my two oldest friends. We have known each other for 48 years, but rarely see each other due to living in separate states. I was so glad that I chose to make a reservation at W.A. Frost-- it was perfect. Thanks to our server for going with the flow, accommodating our requests, never rushing us, checking in at all the right times.. The food was wonderful and so was the ambience. It was a tiny bit loud-- we were seated near another table -- but not annoyingly so. I will definitely return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyAemlDined on 9/12/2014On a cold fall day it was just lovely to dine by the fire with friends at Frost's. The fish was delicious and the chocolate mousse cake divine. The service was very good!Special Features:
- Great place- but watch reservationsGregfromOKDined on 9/10/2014Great place and wonderful decor, food service and ambiance. But be careful about a reservation for outside seating . They don't notify you if bad weather. - not uncommon in Minnesota- forces cancellation of out door seating. We learned this the "hard way". Showed up on at sat night , we're told the outdoor seating was closed and of course there were no inside tables available without an apology or any other consideration We expected at least a call in advance notifying us that the reservation needed to be changed this never happened and hostess did not seem to care either We didn't expect this kind of problem from an otherwise great placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KGone1Dined on 9/10/2014I've enjoyed my visits, Good food, Nice atmosphere and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/8/2014Much enjoyed lunch there; we were seated promptly, food was excellent, perhaps service could have been a bit faster.Special Features:
- CWilliamDined on 9/7/2014Very good food in a great setting with good service.Special Features:
- 60th B-dayOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/7/2014Went here with the family to celebrate my 60th b-day. Ambience outdoors was great but the food did not live up to our expectations. We have always enjoyed WA Frost before so we'll just chalk this up to an off night.Special Features:
- Love itReturnDined on 9/5/2014Good food good location good service beautiful atmosphere love the patioSpecial Features:
- W. A. Frost is the best!StPaulSusanDined on 9/4/2014My husband and I love to eat out & do so frequently. We both agree that W. A. Frost is our favorite restaurant. We can't decide which is better - the food or the service!Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerannabannanaDined on 9/3/2014My husband and I visited here for our 31st Anniversary dinner. This is such a great old building it has a very clubby feeling. The food was very good and it is very reliable. The night we were there, there were no specials, except the chef's menu which looked good but cost $65/person. I ordered the pan-seared chicken which was moist and tender with good flavor. My husband had the petite shoulder steak, which he liked and came with fresh vegetables. We also ordered the sample of desserts, creme brule, cheesecake, kit-kat peanut bar. Our service was very attentive. I enjoyed the red wine flight and my husband had a margarita. It is expensive to eat there plan on spending $100 for 2 people. I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always incredible!DaveDined on 9/1/2014Been coming here since the late 70's and have always loved it here. My wife and I met here for our first date eight years ago and have celebrated that anniversary, our wedding anniversary and New Years Eve every year since. And, of course, many times in between. Last visit, we had dinner on the patio. Perfect evening! I was mildly surprised to see the Chef's Tasting Menu was $100 with wine pairings. Six courses, six wines, perfect food, perfectly matched wines. Attentitive, friendly service. I wonder why we don't come every week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service a bit slowcyclopsDined on 9/1/2014Enjoyed a labor day lunch in the patio - great venue on a pleasant late summer day. Food was excellent though the service was a bit on the slow side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014I would not consider it a hot spot, more of an "old stand-by", but in a world of rapid change, it's nice to know that Frost is there for an occasional visit with an old friend.Special Features:
- MemorableAlyssaDined on 8/31/2014This experience made our second wedding anniversary most memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistantly Wonderful!candy2Dined on 8/30/2014When ever we consider a special venue for out journey back to Minnesota from Scottsdale, AZ, WA Frost is at the top of the list!Special Features:
- Beautiful patio diningStPaulDinerDined on 8/30/2014Lovely, large, treed patio behind the restaurant, not on the street; wonderful brunch; great wait staff.Special Features:
- ExceptionalNoDebtLetsEatVIPDined on 8/29/2014Beautiful, historic building, fantastic food, and excellent service. We had a great lunch entertaining out of town guests. WA Frost is at the top of my list of places to go for a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely...mutymaryDined on 8/23/2014We celebrated my granddaughter's birthday...she wanted to go somewhere "fancy." We had a wonderful time, great food, and excellent service (Michael was attentive, fun, and patient with my inquisitive granddaughter:). Her favorite? The cheese plate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.