WA Frost & Company
374 Selby Ave
Saint Paul, MN 55102Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
WA Frost & Company
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.wafrost.com/
- Phone: 6512245715
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:30am - 1:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 1:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:30am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Wyatt Evans
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Dining available. Please visit our website for detailed information.
- Private Party Contact: Julia Struve 6512907135
A word from WA Frost & Company
This is a favorite Saint Paul dining destination since 1975. The Restaurant is housed in the turn-of-the-century Dacotah Building which lies in the heart of the historic Cathedral Hill District. W. A. Frost has incomparable ambiance and rare old world character. It boasts several grand wood-burning fireplaces, a charming old bar and the European-style garden patio and garden bar and lounge. The new American cuisine at W. A. Frost is derived from an eclectic mix of ingredients meticulously sourced, with a very strong emphasis on local small farmers that use organic and sustainable practices. Minnesota's best wine list, best outdoor dining in the Twin Cities and the most romantic restaurant are just a few awards received.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
WA Frost & Company - Best Restaurants in St. Paul ›
WA Frost & Company reviews from OpenTable diners
231 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (153)special occasion (146)romantic (127)neighborhood gem (114)fit for foodies (97)notable wine list (59)good for groups (50)great for lunch (49)great for brunch (41)late-night find (23)scenic view (23)hot spot (20)vibrant bar scene (10)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Great service & great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2014Our server was great - very on the ball with a lovely personality. The brunch was also delicious. We had the creme brulee and the trio for dessert - so great. Would go again anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Trip2fromoutoftownDined on 9/24/2014We live in a neighboring state. Whenever we visit the Twin Cities, we always make a point of dining at W.A. Frost. We are never disappointed. The food surpasses other restaurants (and we have eaten at restaurants throughout Europe as well). Service is always accurate. We love the ambiance and the vintage neighborhood. We will always be patrons at every visit.Special Features:
- Perfect Tasting MenuDontgetoutmuchDined on 9/20/2014We've gone here twice for our anniversary and love the tasting menu with wine pairing. Wonderful creative courses, we truly enjoyed our experience.Special Features:
- Well Worth ItMNOperaFansDined on 9/20/2014It had been several years since we had dined at W.A. Frost and we are glad we went back there. The food was outstanding in preparation and presentation. We appreciated that the menu offered a wide range of prices and portion sizes for both entrées and desserts. The most outstanding part of our evening was the service. Our principal server was friendly, attentive and informative without being too chatty or cloying. The servers were constantly on the lookout for water, etc., at all the tables. Afterwards, we asked each other why we hadn't been back sooner. We'll be sure to make W.A. Frost a new regular destination.Special Features:
- Good Food, Quirky ServiceNoNickVIPDined on 9/19/2014The food is consistently good, and some of it is outstandingly good--try the artichoke dip appetizer! As others have noted, the service is uneven. Perhaps it is that servers are rushing between rooms, or inside to outside...but at one minute they are intensely hovering, too quickly, to get you to order, and then they are gone for long periods leaving you waiting. We're glad we went, and were with a group so conversation filled the void; but a really good kitchen should have better support from the wait staff. Wait staff management and training need an overhaul! If you can be patient through the gaps, by all means give WA Frost a try.I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryLucky13Dined on 9/15/2014Historic building, ambiance delicious food and wine Attetive serverSpecial Features:
- Not ImpressedEMChef1KLSDined on 9/13/2014The food was average quality and overpriced. This place is all about the Wine and cheese . Small menu of artistically named food served with a bit of culinary flare ,with no special attention to how it taste!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointedExpectbetterserviceDined on 9/13/2014A group of family went here for a special outing. Have always had a great meal. We were ignored by waiter, waited forever for water and drinks, received snide remarks from waiter as we ordered, were NEVER asked for a second drink order and had the dessert menus dropped at the table without a word or comment. Didn't order because we were afraid of how long it would take to get it. Really soured our experience for the evening. The food was very good open it arrived. Restaurant did not appear overly busy and since it was cold the patio was almost empty. For the price of the meal it was a very disappointing experience. I would only recommend the patio-will bring my special occasion business to another top name place.Special Features:
- Saturday Night at WA FrostAndynFarrelDined on 9/13/2014Frost provides a wonderful dining experience with a varied menu of excellently prepared entrees. The ambiance is incomparable, complete with elegantly appointed dining areas (both in and outside) with classical music in the background. The wine list was as varied as the menu, and the wines that we had on Saturday (a Merlot and Sauv Blanc) were outstanding. Our party had fish (salmon), pork, and a (very large) dinner salad. All this was preceded by a very nice cheese plate with flatbread. For dessert we shared the Trio, small samplings of 3 desserts. All were wonderful. We had two coffees and a tea. Tea was not on the menu (but they do have it). They need to put that back on. Ryan was our server, and he was very attentive and fun.Special Features:
- Lovely EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014I had a gathering with my two oldest friends. We have known each other for 48 years, but rarely see each other due to living in separate states. I was so glad that I chose to make a reservation at W.A. Frost-- it was perfect. Thanks to our server for going with the flow, accommodating our requests, never rushing us, checking in at all the right times.. The food was wonderful and so was the ambience. It was a tiny bit loud-- we were seated near another table -- but not annoyingly so. I will definitely return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyAemlDined on 9/12/2014On a cold fall day it was just lovely to dine by the fire with friends at Frost's. The fish was delicious and the chocolate mousse cake divine. The service was very good!Special Features:
- Great place- but watch reservationsGregfromOKDined on 9/10/2014Great place and wonderful decor, food service and ambiance. But be careful about a reservation for outside seating . They don't notify you if bad weather. - not uncommon in Minnesota- forces cancellation of out door seating. We learned this the "hard way". Showed up on at sat night , we're told the outdoor seating was closed and of course there were no inside tables available without an apology or any other consideration We expected at least a call in advance notifying us that the reservation needed to be changed this never happened and hostess did not seem to care either We didn't expect this kind of problem from an otherwise great placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KGone1Dined on 9/10/2014I've enjoyed my visits, Good food, Nice atmosphere and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/8/2014Much enjoyed lunch there; we were seated promptly, food was excellent, perhaps service could have been a bit faster.Special Features:
- CWilliamDined on 9/7/2014Very good food in a great setting with good service.Special Features:
- 60th B-dayOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/7/2014Went here with the family to celebrate my 60th b-day. Ambience outdoors was great but the food did not live up to our expectations. We have always enjoyed WA Frost before so we'll just chalk this up to an off night.Special Features:
- Love itReturnDined on 9/5/2014Good food good location good service beautiful atmosphere love the patioSpecial Features:
- W. A. Frost is the best!StPaulSusanDined on 9/4/2014My husband and I love to eat out & do so frequently. We both agree that W. A. Frost is our favorite restaurant. We can't decide which is better - the food or the service!Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerannabannanaDined on 9/3/2014My husband and I visited here for our 31st Anniversary dinner. This is such a great old building it has a very clubby feeling. The food was very good and it is very reliable. The night we were there, there were no specials, except the chef's menu which looked good but cost $65/person. I ordered the pan-seared chicken which was moist and tender with good flavor. My husband had the petite shoulder steak, which he liked and came with fresh vegetables. We also ordered the sample of desserts, creme brule, cheesecake, kit-kat peanut bar. Our service was very attentive. I enjoyed the red wine flight and my husband had a margarita. It is expensive to eat there plan on spending $100 for 2 people. I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always incredible!DaveDined on 9/1/2014Been coming here since the late 70's and have always loved it here. My wife and I met here for our first date eight years ago and have celebrated that anniversary, our wedding anniversary and New Years Eve every year since. And, of course, many times in between. Last visit, we had dinner on the patio. Perfect evening! I was mildly surprised to see the Chef's Tasting Menu was $100 with wine pairings. Six courses, six wines, perfect food, perfectly matched wines. Attentitive, friendly service. I wonder why we don't come every week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service a bit slowcyclopsDined on 9/1/2014Enjoyed a labor day lunch in the patio - great venue on a pleasant late summer day. Food was excellent though the service was a bit on the slow side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014I would not consider it a hot spot, more of an "old stand-by", but in a world of rapid change, it's nice to know that Frost is there for an occasional visit with an old friend.Special Features:
- MemorableAlyssaDined on 8/31/2014This experience made our second wedding anniversary most memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistantly Wonderful!candy2Dined on 8/30/2014When ever we consider a special venue for out journey back to Minnesota from Scottsdale, AZ, WA Frost is at the top of the list!Special Features:
- Beautiful patio diningStPaulDinerDined on 8/30/2014Lovely, large, treed patio behind the restaurant, not on the street; wonderful brunch; great wait staff.Special Features:
- ExceptionalNoDebtLetsEatVIPDined on 8/29/2014Beautiful, historic building, fantastic food, and excellent service. We had a great lunch entertaining out of town guests. WA Frost is at the top of my list of places to go for a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely...mutymaryDined on 8/23/2014We celebrated my granddaughter's birthday...she wanted to go somewhere "fancy." We had a wonderful time, great food, and excellent service (Michael was attentive, fun, and patient with my inquisitive granddaughter:). Her favorite? The cheese plate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation thru OpenTableFosterRevDined on 8/23/2014The experience at the restaurant was great but when i made my reservation through OpenTable i specifically added a note indicating it was our 23rd anniversary. I asked for corner or more romantic table but when we arrived there was no mention of this and they placed us right along the main path of traffic. Not sure that my note was even read by the staff or whoever takes the reservation. That would be my only gripe, but otherwise this is a wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PatioBbbbDined on 8/22/2014Enjoyed a wonderful evening on the patio at Frost. We celebrated our wedding anniversary on a Friday night and found the patio dining experience to be outstanding. Our server, who looked like Jared Leto, was phenomenal, service could not have been better. The meal was timed perfectly. The food was so good that we couldn't save a bite for dessert, which looked fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice eveningcdedbducksDined on 8/22/2014I went here on a double date and it was a perfect pick. There were couples on dates and also small groups like ours. We dined inside, but the patio looked amazing and was packed. All of our foods was delicious! We shared one of the specials, the pork belly and the artichoke dip. For entrees, we had the lamb burger, fried oyster po boy, muscles and roasted pepper soup. Yum! My favorite were the muscles and oyster po boy. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Don't miss the mini dessert trayLauraJDined on 8/22/2014W.A. Frost has it all - patio, lovely indoor dining rooms, and bar area. It's a great place to go for special occasions or just for fun. It's also a huge plus to be in a historic neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nomadboyDined on 8/17/2014Nice and subdued elegance!! Food portions were appropriate and very well presented. Waiter Michael was top notch. Weather didn't cooperate or we would have tried the outside dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeagleDined on 8/16/2014The food, ambience, and service were impeccable! I highly recommend WA Frost & Company!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodluvFoodluvDined on 8/14/2014Excellent food, service, and atmosphere. We will be back!Special Features:
- A favorite restaurant w fab patioyumEfoodsDined on 8/14/2014Love the food and atmosphere! Highly recommend WA Frost!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/13/2014Very nice romantic evening. Food was unique and good.Special Features:
- pkOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014The outdoor dining was wonderful and the food delicious. Nice size portions and great desserts. I would highly recommend WA Frost.Special Features:
- cellinaVIPDined on 8/11/2014The restaurant was good. From the hostess to the server was fantasctic. The weather was not friendly so I never got chance to sit outside. So I was fine with inside.Special Features:
- If you're not on the Patio don't godege0022Dined on 8/9/2014I have been to WA Frost countless times before and probably will not be back. We were celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary and the service was slow, table wasn't ready for 15 minutes after our reservation time and the food was overpriced, portions were tiny and the description on the menu did not match what we received. We did go on a beautiful summer night and the patio was packed and the manager and staff's attention was 100% on the guests outside. There are countless new restaurants in St. Paul, go to any of them before WA Frost.
- Not worth the priceSarahDined on 8/8/2014Service was good and outdoor seating area was nice. The mussel appetizer was great and the pork belly appetizer was "okay" but not fully rendered. But, the entrees were not goo at all. I had the linguini and my spouse had the NY Strip. Mine was bland and had an odd taste. The NY Strip was very small and extremely tough! We may go again for a drink and appetizer, but we'll skip the pricey meal. Not worth it at all.