WA Frost & Company
374 Selby Ave
Saint Paul, MN 55102Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
WA Frost & Company
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.wafrost.com/
- Phone: 6512245715
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:30am - 1:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 1:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:30am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Wyatt Evans
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Dining available. Please visit our website for detailed information.
- Private Party Contact: Julia Struve 6512907135
A word from WA Frost & Company
This is a favorite Saint Paul dining destination since 1975. The Restaurant is housed in the turn-of-the-century Dacotah Building which lies in the heart of the historic Cathedral Hill District. W. A. Frost has incomparable ambiance and rare old world character. It boasts several grand wood-burning fireplaces, a charming old bar and the European-style garden patio and garden bar and lounge. The new American cuisine at W. A. Frost is derived from an eclectic mix of ingredients meticulously sourced, with a very strong emphasis on local small farmers that use organic and sustainable practices. Minnesota's best wine list, best outdoor dining in the Twin Cities and the most romantic restaurant are just a few awards received.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
WA Frost & Company - Best Restaurants in St. Paul ›
WA Frost & Company reviews from OpenTable diners
231 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (155)special occasion (141)romantic (133)neighborhood gem (111)fit for foodies (91)notable wine list (58)great for lunch (55)great for brunch (52)good for groups (47)scenic view (26)late-night find (18)hot spot (17)vibrant bar scene (10)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- Very NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014I would not consider it a hot spot, more of an "old stand-by", but in a world of rapid change, it's nice to know that Frost is there for an occasional visit with an old friend.Special Features:
- Beautiful patio diningOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/30/2014Lovely, large, treed patio behind the restaurant, not on the street; wonderful brunch; great wait staff.Special Features:
- ExceptionalNoDebtLetsEatVIPDined on 8/29/2014Beautiful, historic building, fantastic food, and excellent service. We had a great lunch entertaining out of town guests. WA Frost is at the top of my list of places to go for a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely...mutymaryDined on 8/23/2014We celebrated my granddaughter's birthday...she wanted to go somewhere "fancy." We had a wonderful time, great food, and excellent service (Michael was attentive, fun, and patient with my inquisitive granddaughter:). Her favorite? The cheese plate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation thru OpenTableFosterRevDined on 8/23/2014The experience at the restaurant was great but when i made my reservation through OpenTable i specifically added a note indicating it was our 23rd anniversary. I asked for corner or more romantic table but when we arrived there was no mention of this and they placed us right along the main path of traffic. Not sure that my note was even read by the staff or whoever takes the reservation. That would be my only gripe, but otherwise this is a wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PatioBbbbDined on 8/22/2014Enjoyed a wonderful evening on the patio at Frost. We celebrated our wedding anniversary on a Friday night and found the patio dining experience to be outstanding. Our server, who looked like Jared Leto, was phenomenal, service could not have been better. The meal was timed perfectly. The food was so good that we couldn't save a bite for dessert, which looked fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice eveningcdedbducksDined on 8/22/2014I went here on a double date and it was a perfect pick. There were couples on dates and also small groups like ours. We dined inside, but the patio looked amazing and was packed. All of our foods was delicious! We shared one of the specials, the pork belly and the artichoke dip. For entrees, we had the lamb burger, fried oyster po boy, muscles and roasted pepper soup. Yum! My favorite were the muscles and oyster po boy. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Don't miss the mini dessert trayLauraJDined on 8/22/2014W.A. Frost has it all - patio, lovely indoor dining rooms, and bar area. It's a great place to go for special occasions or just for fun. It's also a huge plus to be in a historic neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nomadboyDined on 8/17/2014Nice and subdued elegance!! Food portions were appropriate and very well presented. Waiter Michael was top notch. Weather didn't cooperate or we would have tried the outside dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeagleDined on 8/16/2014The food, ambience, and service were impeccable! I highly recommend WA Frost & Company!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodluvFoodluvDined on 8/14/2014Excellent food, service, and atmosphere. We will be back!Special Features:
- A favorite restaurant w fab patioyumEfoodsDined on 8/14/2014Love the food and atmosphere! Highly recommend WA Frost!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/13/2014Very nice romantic evening. Food was unique and good.Special Features:
- pkOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014The outdoor dining was wonderful and the food delicious. Nice size portions and great desserts. I would highly recommend WA Frost.Special Features:
- cellinaVIPDined on 8/11/2014The restaurant was good. From the hostess to the server was fantasctic. The weather was not friendly so I never got chance to sit outside. So I was fine with inside.Special Features:
- If you're not on the Patio don't godege0022Dined on 8/9/2014I have been to WA Frost countless times before and probably will not be back. We were celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary and the service was slow, table wasn't ready for 15 minutes after our reservation time and the food was overpriced, portions were tiny and the description on the menu did not match what we received. We did go on a beautiful summer night and the patio was packed and the manager and staff's attention was 100% on the guests outside. There are countless new restaurants in St. Paul, go to any of them before WA Frost.
- Not worth the priceSarahDined on 8/8/2014Service was good and outdoor seating area was nice. The mussel appetizer was great and the pork belly appetizer was "okay" but not fully rendered. But, the entrees were not goo at all. I had the linguini and my spouse had the NY Strip. Mine was bland and had an odd taste. The NY Strip was very small and extremely tough! We may go again for a drink and appetizer, but we'll skip the pricey meal. Not worth it at all.
- Pleased againSatisfiedDined on 8/7/2014Was great to get to WA Frost again. Been here several times, food always great. Bread is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding...we will be backDAC13Dined on 8/6/2014My brother was visiting from out of town. I asked for an inside table (cooler and quieter). They seated our party of 5 promptly. The atmosphere was impressive. My brother, who travels internationally on business often very impressed and mentioned it several times. The staff took time to explain the menu and answered all our questions. Everyone loved the food. We had 2 appetizers to share. The Artichoke dip was some of the best I've had anywhere. Excellent blend of flavors. The Korean wings were a huge hit. We ate steak, salads and my son ordered a burger. Everything was fit for foodies and very well prepared. My steak was full of flavor and prepared perfectly. The entrees come with sides, so it is not al la cart. We will be back.Special Features:
- GingerDined on 8/6/2014Always love the atmosphere, whether dining inside or out on the patio. Usually, the service is timely, but this particular day it was a little slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- indoorOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014The seating through open table is only for indoor not the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special occasionsmspfoodieDined on 8/2/2014This is always a great spot for any meal, bringing out-of-town guests, family events, and any special occasion. The service is great, and the decor and ambiance are classy and old-fashioned without being stuffy. Unfortunately, they only have one or two vegetarian entree options, but the appetizers, soups, sides, desserts, and drinks make up for that -- and the veggie options are very good. It's a bit pricey but not extravagant by any means -- definitely worth it once in a while. When I booked my reservation through Open Table, I added a request to have them bring out one of their desserts with a candle on it after our entrees since it was my boyfriend's birthday. They did, and they were very nice about it. Great place to go in Mpls-St Paul!Special Features:
- Wonderful ambiance, great food!Lize217Dined on 7/31/2014Beautiful patio with a very romantic feel. Wine was exceptional, noted by all. Menu isn't overwhelming but offers a wide variety. Each of the three in our party got something different and each loved it!!! Can't wait to go on another special occasion. Only negative was slow service. Highly recommended overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal!cuppyVIPDined on 7/26/2014Haven't been here in a long time and we were so pleased with our dinner! Started with the poached shrimp served on seaweed salad. What a great combination and the shrimp were excellent! We ordered the cod and the chicken and they were both delicious! I haven't had a restaurant meal this good in a long time! Loved the sampler plate for dessert. The perfect amount to wind down a perfect meal! We couldn't get a seat on the patio, but we had a table right by the window which was quiet and bug free!Special Features:
- Wonderful time...NinthDined on 7/26/2014..except for the service. Our party of three each had a testing menu offering for dinner. The food and wine pairings were spot on. Ambience was superb. The waitress was less than what we expected or desevered. The courses were delivered half hazardly; food but no wine accompaniment. No real description of what was in each plate served. She was just off. But it was a great time with family and we will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect summer eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014We had a group of eight for early dinner on a Saturday. We ate indoors and it was wonderful because it was cool and quiet on a hot humid day. Because we were early we didn't feel we were bothering other diners with our chatting--which can be quite a bit w/a large group--and best of all, we could all hear each other without yelling. The food was terrific. We especially like the portion choices--entrees and also micro-entrees. Our server was very attentive and handled the dietary issues of some of our group with professionalism.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall review of WA Frost & Co.DisappointmentDined on 7/25/2014We had a 7:30 reservation, but when we arrived we were told, "actually your reservation is for 7:45, would you like to have a seat over there and we'll call you when your table is ready?" I had my e-mail confirmation with me to show them it was indeed 7:30, so they did seat us, but we were a bit annoyed that they had tried to bump us without sending us an e-mail kindly informing us that they had overbooked the 7:30 slot and would we be able to move to 7:45, but they just moved our time without informing us. Next we were not greeted by any wait staff for over 5 min. We never received bread at our table but all the rest of the tables received bread and although the food tasted good, it came cold! We probably will not be dining there again.Special Features:
- ClassicmolonlabeDined on 7/21/2014Great food and great service. Very original dishes. I would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food … but no A/C??New2MNDined on 7/21/2014Had a good experience at WA Frost and based on the food, I would definitely recommend it and go back! Our server was kind of quirky, but very attentive and helpful with the menu. The only annoying thing was that there seemed to be no A/C, and I went in for dinner in late July…it was hot and muggy. So definitely not the most comfortable. I could see outside that they had a beautiful patio with plenty of tables - so I might venture back when it's not so hot!Special Features:
- AwesomeRockfishDined on 7/19/2014I go to WA Frost every few years and it continues to hold up. The food was terrific and the service was outstanding (present but not overbearing). Loved it.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014We love this restaurant, but we were surprised that many of the lights were not working on the patio. Apparently this was not one night, but many nights. A great restaurant, but fix your lights - it is BEAUTIFUL on the patio.Special Features:
- Don't say no to the musselseric55106Dined on 7/19/2014Absolutely fantastic. Oh, and the fries that came with the burger were pretty amazing, too. I could have eaten a whole plate of those and skipped the burger. Will definitely go back!Special Features:
- First time at WA FrostRosevilleDined on 7/19/2014Our group of six adults met at WA Frost for a wonderful meal on Saturday. We were advised to change our inside table to outside and that was an excellent recommendation. The favorite dish at our table was the chicken. The cod was nice as well as the linguine small plate. We did not have dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Hi - I had eaten at Frosts before without being very impressed; however, Saturday night I had the Wild Salmon (gluten free) dinner. It was excellent as was the accompanying sauce.Special Features:
- BIRTHDAY DINNERRogerDined on 7/16/2014I brought a friend for dinner to observe his recent birthday. We were seated promptly, and the server was very cordial. We had drinks, an appetizer and different entrees. It had been a while since either of us were there, and the overall experience was very good. The usual problem was parking...we each had to park several blocks away. But, that is what must happen, with a popular place in a busy neighborhood.Special Features:
- A bit disappointedSunny01VIPDined on 7/15/2014We sat inside by the window due to the "slight" chill in the air. It gave us a feel for eating inside vs outside. Our service was very slow and felt a bit "stuffy", while outside the servers seemed very attentive and vibrant. Our server said she had our table and a large group in another room - if so, not sure why management would stretch a person like that. Oh well, the food was fabulous and we had fun!!Special Features:
- Delicious food!JulieBDined on 7/12/2014We had dinner with some friends at WA Frost last Saturday night. My friend and I both ordered the pan roasted wild acres half chicken dish with smoked couscous and grilled asparagus, peas and chicken jus. It was the best! We wanted to pick up the bones and gnaw off every last delicious morsel! I highly recommend this dish. Our husbands ordered the pan roasted salmon dish and found it to be equally delicious. We ordered the kit kat desert to round off the evening. It was rich, decadent, and worth every calorie!Special Features:
- Great birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014Came to WA Frost for a birthday dinner. We brought our own cake and wine and the waiter was happy to comply. Food was delicious with the exception of the charcuterie which could use a little work (disappointing selection and small). Restaurant was busy but quiet and our group of 4 could easily hold a conversation without needing to strain to hear each other. Waiter was appropriately attentive. The decor is very romantic. We moved to the outdoor patio after dinner and this too was very relaxing and pleasant. One of the best patios in the area.Special Features:
- Best outdoor diningSusieDined on 7/9/2014We had a perfect evening of dining here. Good food, good service, lovely setting. And the weather was perfect for outdoor dining, which helped of course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/9/2014Disappointed that when I arrived I was told that any online reservation is seated inside rather in the beautiful garden.Special Features: