Vo's Restaurant - Oakland
59 Grand Ave.
Oakland, CA 94612Neighborhood:
VietnamesePrice: $30 and under
Vo's Restaurant - Oakland
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vosrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5104654600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30AM - 2:00PM, Sunday: 11:00AM - 2:00PM
Dinner: Monday - Thursday & Saturday: 5:00PM - 9:00PM,
Friday: 5:00PM - 11:00PM,
Sunday: 5:00PM - 8:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vietnamese, Asian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We can deliver trays of food buffet style for parties/events.
- Entertainment: We have a beautiful Grand Piano. We currently have an occasional piano player who comes and entertain us. In the future, we hope to bring music and entertainment in the near future.
- Cross Street: Webster Street.
- Public Transit: The AC Transit bus and the free Shuttle stops right in front of the restaurant at the corner of Grand Avenue and Webster Street.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: In the day time, parking is on the streets. In the evening, our patrons may park in the parking lot across the street on Grand Avenue.
A word from Vo's Restaurant - Oakland
Thank you for choosing Vo's Restaurant - Oakland. We have been proudly serving the Oakland community for over 21 years. We offer elegant dining in the heart of Uptown Oakland, serving fine authentic Vietnamese cuisines. Our fantastic Chefs and diverse friendly Wait Staff are always ready to serve you. It is our Goal to create a favorable impression on you as you leave with a good dining experience in both the food, wine and service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Vo's Restaurant - Oakland reviews from OpenTable diners
- Nothing to scream aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/13/2014The food was good, but when we went the restuarant was out of the sea bass and lamb and the restaurant just open. The fish was what I wanted.
- They have lots of vegan options,OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/24/2013They have lots of vegan options, good favors, and the service is always very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CUSTOMER SERVICE NIGHTMARE!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2013At VO's we were told by the maitre d, "You don't have a reservation because you are not on my list." The list referred to was on the maitre d's cell phone. We showed a print out of the confirmation number but were still told that VO's did not have our reservation. When we tried to reason with the host that we had a valid reservation, he argued that the only reservations he was willing to recognize were the ones on his iPhone. We looked around and saw 6 open tables and asked to be seated at one of those tables. We were told that those tables were for customers who HAD reservations. We were dumbfounded and again showed the host our printed reservation. There was no apology, no effort to try to work out a solution, no nothing.
- A mixed bagNotPaulaDeenDined on 10/18/2013While our server was friendly, she was not able to describe the dishes or wine beyond whether or not she like them or if they were popular with customers. The cocktails were quite good and Vo does offer quite an array of specialty drinks. While the food was fine, only one dish of four stood out. The starters left us a bit underwhelmed. I might go back and try some other dishes, but for a group that wants to enjoy a special night out, there are more interesting choices in the area.
- A disappointment.JKBACDined on 10/5/2013We were disappointed. Nothing really stood out. Our choices, traditional orders, were flat. The Clay Pot (beef & chicken) was near tasteless. It needed spices but none were on the table nor offered. The Garlic Noodle with Prawns was OK but uninteresting. We should have had more time between courses. The main course came way too soon. Our appetizers were not even half eaten. The Uptown Starter was good. The Coconut Butterfly Prawns were boring. It was early and not at all busy. The people were nice and the setting is attractive but we would not go again.Special Features:
- Yummy SalmonLuv2trynewplacesDined on 9/30/2013The grilled Salmon Citrus salad was amazing. The service was also excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only if you have no other choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/10/2013The service was some of the poorest that I can remember. The food is ok, but nothing more and the decor and ambience leave much to desire. All in all I would not go running back unless there were no other options. We were not even offered any kind of discount, even though our wine was not served until the end of the meal, as I said I've not had such a poor dining experience in recent memory.
- We are fans of VosHollywoodDined on 7/16/2013We used to be regulars at Vos. We had not been in awhile. The main dishes were really good. Cooked right and tasted delish. The appetizer platter was a little disappointing. The calamari which is usually excellent was not up to par. It was overcooked or old (sitting too long). We also wish on the appetizer platter that they gave you four of each item - makes it so much easier to share. They also could not do a beer flight because they were out of the glasses. I say use other glasses then. Does it really matter what it is in? They have a great happy hour so we will be back for that. Note: If you have a deal you can't use it for happy hour.Special Features:
- needs workOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/3/2013First time there. VERY noisy family next to us. Food was adequate but unremarkable. The young waiter was clearly overwhelmed, but training would help. He didn't clear starter plates then arrived with entrees and we had to clear the table. Wine arrived long after entrees and dessert arrived when we had finished coffee. He responded defensively when we inquired about tardy items. The carmelized bananas were worth going back for.
- This was my first time diningOaklandShoeDivaDined on 6/29/2013This was my first time dining at Vo's although I think I have passed it no less than 100 times. Everything was tasty and served promptly. I will definitely be back (used an Amazon Local deal too)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Shakin' Beef was GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/25/2013Ordered the shakin' beef dish with garlic noodles. I actually wanted the noodles to be cooked WITH the beef but they brought it out separately. I thought I specified to have the noodles cooked with the beef but I guess I wasn't clear enough. The beef dish was great but the garlic noodles were disappointing. It was dry and flavorless. I suggest having a dish that combines the beef and noodles (I thought it was on the menu at one point??). The couple in the next table actually copied us and had ordered the shakin' beef as well as the garlic noodles. They ate all of the beef but left the plate of bland noodles uneaten. :P Anyhow, the beef dish and the salad was good. I'll get the shakin' beef again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar or dining?sherraeDined on 6/13/2013There's a lot to like about Vo's: good location, spacious dining room, pleasant colors and lighting. It just misses the mark. They haven't decided if they are a sports bar, after work meeting place, dining room or are possibly focusing on the lunch trade. The food is decent but uninspired; dining room has a clear view to the bar and the 3 or 4 big screen televisions mounted high on the wall so all can see whatever game is currently on. Thankfully the sound is turned off. Host and servers are pleasant and accommodating. It's not a dining experience or a casual weeknight dinner--too many conflicting inputs.Special Features:
- portions were too small forOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/16/2013portions were too small for the price of the dish. Tasty, would have expected more for the price. Also, garlic noodles don't need parmesean cheese in a vietnamese restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went to Vo's upon a recommendatiLoriPDined on 3/8/2013We went to Vo's upon a recommendation of a co-worker before going to the Paramount Theatre. We told the server we needed to be finished by 6:45pm. The food was very good; however the service was very slow. I would try Vo's again; maybe next time when I didn't have time constraints.
- The service was horrible atOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/7/2013The service was horrible at this restaurant. There was a large meeting going on in one room, but the remainder of the restaurant was empty. The food was mediocre and I would never go back.
- Food was ok. nothing memorable.ambj1994Dined on 2/6/2013Food was ok. nothing memorable. I had salmon fried rice about $13 and it was boring. My bf had chicken and side of garlic green beans. Yawn! We were the only people there. We were there around 8:45pm Wednesday or Thursday night. This is the last time we're going there. The waitress was nice and friendly.Special Features:
- Very good food at a reasonableBonnieDined on 1/25/2013Very good food at a reasonable price but service is lacking. If you aren't in a hurry and don't mind a few mix-ups with the order, it is a good spot and very convenient of attending a performance at the Paramount.
- An assortment of appetizersarchieayeVIPDined on 12/14/2012An assortment of appetizers preceding a single, tasty main dish is the perfect pre-concert meal!Special Features:
- Good atmosphere, but foodHelenVIPDined on 11/23/2012Good atmosphere, but food was nothing special. The papaya salad was bland. Overall there wasn't much to distinguish it from any other asian restaurant.
- Our third dinner here. EverythingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/4/2012Our third dinner here. Everything on the menu is good. We will be back.Special Features:
- The service was much-improvedwhomecookDined on 10/9/2012The service was much-improved this visit. Vo's food is always very good, but on Oakland Speakers Bureau nights can be frustrating as they must get many people fed in a short time span and the wait staff can get frazzled. This time we had a lovely waitress who was very good, right up until it was time to process the check, then she slowed a bit. But much better service this time than last visit.
- It was very quiet at 6pm onIanKDined on 9/29/2012It was very quiet at 6pm on a Saturday night. Service was prompt and friendly. The food was very tasty. It was good value.
- Good food, but before theOmnidinerVIPDined on 9/7/2012Good food, but before the live music began, the piped-in music was fairly loud and made it hard to talk.
- 730pm reservations on a SaturdayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2012730pm reservations on a Saturday night....the restaurant was empty, not a single other patron (that should have tipped us off). Good service, two mistakes w/ the food order, nothing special about the food quality.
- Good service, good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/6/2012The food was good, the portions were ample. I had the Clay Pot, with chicken, prawns, and beef, rice and vegetables. The crunchy rice at the bottom of the pot was very good! We asked for quick service, as we were due at a jazz presentation. The staff complied, and food was ready very quickly. Attendance at Vo's was sparse, at 6:30 PM Friday, so the staff had more leeway to prepare our food quickly. Good service.
- Good Uptown Oakland Vietnamese fooddragonreesVIPDined on 12/17/2011We were a party of 4 on a dining early on a Saturday night. Throughout the evening service was slow and the server seemed somewhat distracted. However, we were greeted very cordially by the Owner?Manager? who checked on us several times bumping up the service rating. Some of the dishes were very good and some were okay. The very good included the Special Platter (skewered chicken, prawns, chicken wings, crispy rolls) and the yellow curry prawns with potatoes and carrots in a light curry coconut base. The drink menu included several special drinks including a lycheetini and a good sake selection. Vo's is conveniently situated to the heart of the Uptown Oakland entertainment district and would be good for pre-movie or concert diningSpecial Features:
- Although I had made my reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/3/2011Although I had made my reservation on Open Table, when I walked into the restaurant, the man seated me in the bar instead of the nicer dining area. There were plenty of tables available in there. I also stated that we had a concert to attend starting at 7:30, yet at 7:15 they were asking us if we wanted dessert. Although the food was good, I would never go back there due to their attitude toward me.
- ExcellentJeffDined on 11/20/2011Last minute pick. The food was very tasty. We highly recommend Vo'sSpecial Features:
- Very good.dragonrabbitVIPDined on 11/10/2011The food was very good, but not something I would crave because it wasn't something I can remember. I would come back and try again in the future.Special Features:
- Do it yourself waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/17/2011I think Vo's needs a dedicated bartender. Our waiter practically did the hosting, waiting, busing, and bartending making our dinner experience drag 30 minutes into our concert. However the food continues to be good.
- We had excellent vegetarianOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2011We had excellent vegetarian entrees here. The veggie and tofu pho was delicious and full of a colorful variety, including several kinds of mushrooms. The garlic noodles were tasty, and we custom-ordered its ingredients with no fuss. I had a handmade ginger beer that was terrific: the bar tender/waitress created it herself. She was attentive, friendly and funny. Great dinner all around.Special Features:
- Wonderful meal. Vo's stillOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/21/2011Wonderful meal. Vo's still has the best creme brulee I've ever tasted - silky smooth.Special Features:
- What I liked the most wastrueluvdinnersVIPDined on 5/20/2011What I liked the most was the Jazz band and the setting for either a group or a nice place to take a date for the first time. It is certainly not a 5 star restaurant, but, a nice place to have some good food and to have good conversation while listening to jazz on a Friday evening.Special Features:
- Vietnamese -- barely!OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 5/14/2011Thank goodness we had a certificate deal ($20 for $40 worth of food)--we would have felt worse about the experience for full price. We used to go to Vo's a lot before they remodelled, and hadn't been there since, so we jumped at the chance when we got the certificate deal. It looks a lot nicer, but the food is disappointing. They also took away most of the dishes we liked to order and replaced them with "higher-end," barely-Vietnamese items. We picked from the remaining Vietnamese-like dishes, and ordered Spring Rolls (good), Chicken Lettuce Wraps (blah and iceberg lettuce?!), Glass Noodles with Crab (very good), and Eggplant with Tofu (undercooked eggplant and too oily). Also, we asked for spicy and got "good-for-2-year-olds."
- Don't BotherMickSFCADined on 5/13/2011We chose Vo's Restaurant because of it's close proximity to the Fox Theatre for a pre-Symphony dinner. Overcrowded and grossly understaffed, our dining experience was less than satisfying. There appeared to be no bus help for the waitress who was greatly stressed and overwhelmed. Though we asked for our water glasses to be refilled numerous times, it never seemed to happen. Half of us were content with our meals (when we finally got them), but those of us who ordered the Salmon Fried Rice were very disappointed. It was supposed to have sliced salmon, but only had a scarce amount of flaked salmon that was difficult to even find or taste. Overall a very disappointing dining experience and therefore could not recommend Vo's Restaurant.
- Food was good, two curry dishesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/30/2011Food was good, two curry dishes that had very different flavors which was nice. I asked for something that was listed on the online menu not on the current restaurant menu and they accommodated the request.
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/27/2011Nothing too extravagant or out of the ordinary. Been there twice recently, once for lunch (where they wouldn't honor my groupon!) and once for dinner. Service at dinner was poor, food was just OK, drinks just OK as well.Special Features:
- Our dinners were brought outOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/22/2011Our dinners were brought out very quickly. I had the grilled salmon, which was very good, then we shared the carmelized bananas with ice cream for dessert. This is a convenient dinner spot to go to before an event at the Paramount Theater.
- We'll go backdowntownfunDined on 4/16/2011The food at Vo's was excellent and the staff was very attentive!The perfect place to eat before a show.Special Features:
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/12/2011Good location, nice bar ambience, fun spot. Happy hour till 7. Try it!Special Features: