5411 Ballard Avenue NW
Seattle, WA 98107Neighborhood:
Ballard / Fremont
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.volterraballard.com/
- Phone: 206-789-5100x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 2:00pm
Lunch: Saturday - Sunday: 2:00pm - 5:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Don Curtiss
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We would love to assist you with catering for your offsite event. Please contact us and ask for Michelle for detailed information.
- Private Party Facilities: The Volterra Drawing Room is a beautiful, intimate private event venue located next door to Volterra restaurant and is an ideal location for small to mid-size events. We offer the same award winning cuisine, exceptional service and extensive wine list as Volterra.
- Private Party Contact: Michelle Quisenberry 8883527279
- Cross Street: 20th Ave NW
- Public Transit: Metro Bus #17 and 18
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Street parking is available on Ballard Avenue and Shilshole Avenue. Paid parking in the Ballard Landmark Garage. Enter on Leary Way with access to Ballard Avenue puts you 1 block away from Volterra. Please note, access to garage entrance on Ballard Avenue is only open until midnight.
A word from Volterra
Volterra features the bold-flavored, Tuscan-inspired menu of Chef Don Curtiss showcasing his innovative style applied to the bountiful harvest of the Pacific Northwest. Menu highlights include: Seasonal Tuscan specialties –truffles, squash blossoms, fresh porcini mushrooms are featured throughout the year. All natural, organic or free-range meats and poultry. Fresh, house made pasta. Our extensive wine list features primarily Italian and Northwest wines. Volterra has received numerous accolades including: “Best New Restaurant” and “Best Italian Restaurant” by Seattle Magazine. “Best Italian Restaurant” by Seattle Citysearch, and “Best Chef Inspired Restaurant” by Seattle Metropolitan Magazine, Zagat “America’s Top Restaurant’s” and “America’s Top Italian Restaurants”. Rachael Ray named Volterra "one of her favorite restaurants on the planet".Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Volterra reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (52)neighborhood gem (39)special occasion (33)romantic (32)great for outdoor dining (27)notable wine list (26)great for brunch (10)good for groups (9)hot spot (7)kid-friendly (6)great for lunch (4)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- nice dinnercharDined on 9/20/2014Liked it, had a nice dinner. It wasn't amazing, but server was great, liked the feel and will probably go back again.Special Features:
- A rare complaint about VolterraOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/19/2014Volterra is one of our favorite restaurants and now that we discovered the athletic club cheap parking structure, it's even better! But, it was so dark we asked for a second candle so we could read the menus. Several people complained but nothing happened, it was too dark. Romantic is fine but none of the diners was a teenager so raise the light level to reasonable.Special Features:
- Great place to goOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014I work in the business and this by far was one of the best meals I've had in years. The wild boar and the lamb was superb. The mussel appetizer was so tender and sweet and I don't really care for mussels. I would highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:
- Urban oasisProfBobDined on 9/13/2014Great food in a great setting--a quiet spot for escape and relaxation in an urban setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still love itDrinkneatinBallardDined on 9/10/2014Dinner with visiting family. Service was great, per usual. All dishes tasty except my moms pork loin. Over cooked and dry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, uninteresting crowdipanemaNHDined on 9/6/2014I love the food in Voltera but I feel that each time I go back there the crowd is more family oriented. It lacks the high energy, trendy vibe that I'd look for a Saturday night dinner in Ballard.Special Features:
- Mehh...not so romantic, not so goodFoodieFemmeDined on 9/6/2014We came here to celebrate our anniversary since it was rated as a "romantic" restaurant. It was ok, but certainly not a romantic spot. The restaurant was unpleasantly hot and muggy...like eating in their kitchen. The table for two was very small, with one cushy bench seat and one hard chair. It was crammed in 6 inches from the table next to us, who had resorted to using the table next to them to hold their sides dishes and bread - which we never got. The wait staff knocked into my wine glass trying to serve the table next to us. My medium-rare lamb loin came well-done (yuck!), and the ball of mashed potatoes had sat around so long it formed a crust on top. The rest of the food was ok. We had several different servers. Mehh.
- Usually great food and service.FurryBikerDined on 8/30/2014Been here 3 times. First two were excellent. This time the food did seem as brilliant and the service was rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wanted to love it morevalegDined on 8/16/2014We had a lovely evening with friends. Service was great, ambiance lovely, but the food, while good, was only that: good - not great. With all the awards, and with the spendy price, I expected to be wowed! Probably won't go back; too many other great places to go for less money.Special Features:
- Ballard fine ItaliandavesfavesDined on 8/15/2014We had a very nice meal here recently. The space it warm and contemporary, and located on a historic street with a happening scene. Salads were freshly made with wonderful flavors. The pasta sauces and entrees were very flavorful and well constructed, with superb service. Nice ambience in a neighborhood of noisier venues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentBallardDinerDined on 8/9/2014We have found the quality of Volterra's kitchen and dining room staff to be consistently excellent. Euro size portions (i.e., not huge), allow for having a tasty appetizer, main course and dessert without overeating. Everything we have had was delicious and perfectly prepared, so it really comes down to individual taste as to what anyone would choose from the menu. However, we would be sorely disappointed if the wild boar tenderloin or the mushroom polenta were ever retired from the menu. Treat yourself to a night in Tuscany.Special Features:
- As good as always...senti598Dined on 8/8/2014Great food. Relaxed atmospher. Really interesting menu. Overall GREAT!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceAMinSeattleDined on 8/2/2014We had a nice dinner. I was a bit disappointed with the charcuterie plate, we just got 4 different kinds of salami (I'm not particularly keen on salami) and very little cheese. If it is supposed to be charcuterie one expects a mix of salami, ham, prosciutto etc. Never mind. Our main course was pasta. My husband had the mushroom and guanciale taglierini, which were excellent. I had the aubergine ravioli and the tomato based sauce they were dressed in was way too spicy for me! The good thing is, most of the pasta on the menu is home made. Dessert was nice (custard cream with fresh berries and amaretti crumbs). Overall ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousMECADined on 8/2/2014Thoroughly enjoyed the dinner and the service. One of the best pastas I have had - rich ingredients but not heavy at all. I had guests visiting from out of town and had wanted to introduce them to the neighbourhood. The menu was diverse enough to suit different tastes. the waiter recommended a wine that was delicious. Definitely a place I'll go back to if I want to treat myself. Even the coffee was extra-ordinary. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I'd expect for the priceMonkeyFaceDined on 7/25/2014Food was good, not consistently, and expensive. Service was fine, nothing bad, just again not quite up to the standard that the prices and what they project about themselves suggest.Special Features:
- A modern and urban take on classicsMarco514Dined on 7/24/2014Perfectly executed modern take on italian classics, the dishes are innovative (gnocchi with pork belly, mushrooms and peas) and the wine list contains a few gems. The night we were there however the noise level was through the roof making it difficult to hold a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food at fair prices.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/16/2014The food is fine and everything else is too. You'll be glad you went.Special Features:
- Volterra never disappoints!KnowsHowtoTravelVIPDined on 7/6/2014Had our latest dinner at Volterra. So happy to see the polenta with wild mushroom ragu still on the menu! This is one of our favorite dishes ANYWHERE! Tried the lamb meatballs for the first time and it was delicious. The fresh pastas - tagliolini and tagliotelle - were perfectly prepared. They are offering a citrus, white Sangria, which was the only thing that disappointed. If you like Sangria, it doesn't taste like Sangria at all. But our waitress took care of us - had the bartender make one of our favorite drinks (pegu club?), which was perfect. Actually, our waitress, Cassie, made everything right. We will ask to sit in her section the next time we have dinner at Volterra. She has the perfect balance of knowledge and fun personality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ptompk2Dined on 7/5/2014Our server, Jess, was quite good. She stopped to visit with us when she had the chance and we enjoyed the meal more so because of it.Special Features:
- Overall disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/5/2014AT Volterra on the 5th, the service was extremely inexperienced, slow and ultimately ruined the evening. All the fish courses "sold out" prior to our ordering or as we found out 20 minutes after ordering the other remaining fish dish, "sold out" before she could put in our order. Then when we ordered the shrimp pasta, it came as the shrimp main course. She was not able to handle making a dish dairy free (for a severe allergy, not pickiness) and order the correct meal. She did not apologize for the mix-ups nor was there any attempt to take off the charge for the meal, which was a 4th choice. The restaurant was almost empty, and it is clear Volterra had its junior staff working and did not order enough food to cater to its customers.
- Dependably goodBallardDinerDined on 6/19/2014The quality of the food and service is consistently good. We have dined here for over 14 years. It is our go-to restaurant for an upscale dining experience we know we can count on. The Tuscan-based cuisine is delicious, the preparation excellent, and the quality of the basic ingredients always high. The noise level depends upon the time (earlier is generally quieter) and dining location (main dining hall being the loudest). But it is never oppressively loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Father's Day breakfasteileencaDined on 6/15/2014First time here for breakfast and I would definitely come back again. Food was great and nice menu choices. Service was flawless. What more can I say?Special Features:
- Great food and serviceDarrenPVIPDined on 6/14/2014Everything was fantastic! The food here is always very good. For appetizers, the meat plate from Salumi is excellent as well as the Burrata cheese. The wild boar is really good as well as any of the pasta dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable breakfastmasteryandmagicgratefulDined on 6/14/2014Everything we ordered was delicious, preparation spot on, and offerings unique while still being recognizable! Coffee and Hash Browns by people who know it's the details that carry the day. Mushroom, Truffle Eggs Benedict, and various scramble egg combinations for four, all very happy diners. Will be back to try lunch and dinner, it was hard to choose from the interesting and varied menu!Special Features:
- Best of the best!!CJ88Dined on 6/5/2014Excellent food and service. Loved the roasted cauliflower with Fontina, and the pasta with foraged mushshrooms. Had some superb wines we were not previously familiar with. Best meal we've had in Seattle since moved here a year ago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special brunch on patioBallardBooneDined on 6/1/2014Waitress, food, and ambiance on the patio were all exceptional. Brought my parents to celebrate my mom's birthday, and she absolutely loved it. Reminded us of great memories traveling in Europe together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - Not so great waitressjstutzDined on 5/31/2014Excellent food and atmosphere. One complaint - we ordered 2 glasses of wine and we were disappointed w/ the size of our pour. Our waitress knew the people at the table next to us and would pour nearly double the amount we received. We didn't like that the waitress played favorites.Special Features:
- Great Date for Fancy ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/30/2014Really nice place for a date with a woman who likes Italian and wine. server was excellent as well and food came out at correct times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 887 reviews are from the Volterra reviews archive.
- SusanDined on 5/24/2014We were a group of five people and everyone really enjoyed their dinner. The service was professional, attentive but not intrusive. The desserts were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Leisurely Date-night DinnerKarenDined on 5/23/2014We had tickets for a show at the Tractor and decided to make an evening of it. We'd walked past Volterra on many occasions and decided it was time to try it out. It turned out to be perfect choice for the kind of destress-from-a-long-week, start-the-holiday-weekend kind of evening we needed. The atmosphere was convivial, but quiet enough for conversation. The server was knowledgeable about the wild mushrooms in my dish, and about mushrooms in general, which was fun. And the dish, pork jowls and wild mushrooms over pasta, was delicious! We spent over two hours, what with cocktails, dinner, wine, and dessert, and never felt either rushed or like we were waiting around. And then it was an easy walk to our show -- no need to re-park the car!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbelievably poor service!QBallDined on 5/11/2014We have been to Volterra in Kirkland many times and have been very impressed with the food and service. Today I took 2 friends for a Mother's Day lunch celebration to Volterra in Seattle. It was extremely disappointing! The WORST service Ever. We waited 30 minutes to get coffee, then another hour to get food. Our waitress comped the coffee - thanks very much! We won't be back!!!
- lovely brunchRachelDined on 5/11/2014My mom and I had interesting food in a quiet, peaceful atmosphere. She really loved the duck and yukon gold potato dish that she had, but all the food was excellent.Special Features:
- Good scene, not so good foodJuansiDined on 5/9/2014The main course was a total disaster. The Spicy Sausage Escarole and Penne Pasta was a big flop, missing everything from flavor to technique, the pasta wasn't cooked properly, the whole concept of the dish sounded good but fail big time in execution, there was no creamy sauce, cheese or something to bring the ingredients together, there was just bunch of water at the bottom of the plate of the saggy uncooked pasta some weird beans and missing any kind of seasoning. It wasn't spicy at all!! I made the comment to our waitress who only checked on us 25 mins after our main dish was served and when it was time for dessert. After telling her about the food she only offered a free dessert with a nasty comment about this one not being Bland!Special Features:
- Wow!happydinersDined on 5/8/2014My wife and I wanted to treat ourselves to an excellent meal and Volterra delivered! Upon arrival we were surprised with how beautiful the restaurant was, and quite impressed with the friendliness of the staff and their knowledge of the menu. We requested the server to pick an appetizer for us since we couldnt decide which to get on our own,she picked the Polenta and Wild Mushroom, this was an amazing start to what turned into one of the best meals we have ever had. We ordered the pork jowls pasta dish, and the wild boar tenderloin to share for dinner, we were very happy to see the kitchen had split our meals for us, portions were very large and the food was beyond decadent. I cant say enough great things all I can say is YOU MUST EAT HERE!Special Features:
- Sad to say I was not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/23/2014Ordered the wild boar which turned out to flavorless, including the sauce and veggies. The salad had too much dressing for my liking and
- Incredible Brunch!sbyrnesDined on 4/20/2014I took my boyfriend here for his 25th birthday and it was fantastic. He had the eggs Benedict and I had the duck hash, both highly recommended.Special Features:
- Fantastic!SusanDined on 4/19/2014We had not been to Volterra for a while and long overdue! Food, service, ambiance and noise level were all fantastic!!! Will come again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish it had been better!LovegoodfoodDined on 4/18/2014The ambiance, service, drinks, bread are amazing at the start of the meal. The food leaves much to be desired. Our salads tasted as though they had been made hours before and had been stored in the walk-in fridge. Not to mention some wilted greens.The appetizer I got, mushroom polenta was good, but the polenta and Ragu were two completely different temperatures (polenta way too hot, ragu almost cold). This was confusing to my palate, And the taste was lost:-(The pasta my husband got was average (sausage, escarole, white bean). The ratio of ingredients was off, and the taste was bland. Too much penne, not enough sausage tossed in broth with plenty of white beans. We both really wanted the food to be better! Not sure when/if we will be back.
- Restaurant weekGreatfoodDined on 4/17/2014I've never been to this restaurant before, went for restaurant week. Great food, great service, I would definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale Comfort Food, Cozy PlaceSeattleite75Dined on 4/17/2014This was my 4th meal at Volterra. This time I took 3 foodie friends and we shared all of our dishes. The pasta dishes were exceptional, especially the dungeness crab ravioli. In fact all of the seafood we ordered was exactly right: clams and sausage appetizer, halibut entree, crab ravioli. However, the meat dishes were unmemorable. The consensus was: Satisfying though not inventive. Sadly, they have small tables and use enormous dishware so when the food arrived, our four top with wine, water and bread on the table was overcrowded. Also, our waitress was attentive at first was seldom seen throughout the meal. We asked a couple of times for a coffee refill during dessert and it never came. My friends were underwhelmed but I'll likely return.Special Features: