121 Kirkland Ave
Kirkland, WA 98033Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://volterrakirkland.com/
- Phone: (425) 202-7201
- Hours of Operation:
Mon-Thurs 11:30am - 10pm
Fri and Sat 11:30am - 11pm
Sunday 11:30am - 9pm
Daily from Noon-6pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Northwest
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We would love to assist you with catering for your offsite event. Please contact us and ask for Michelle for detailed information.
A word from Volterra Kirkland
Volterra features the bold-flavored, Tuscan-inspired menu of Chef Don Curtiss showcasing his innovative style applied to the bountiful harvest of the Pacific Northwest. Menu highlights include: Seasonal Tuscan specialties –truffles, squash blossoms, fresh porcini mushrooms are featured throughout the year. All natural, organic or free-range meats and poultry. Fresh, housemade pasta. Our extensive wine list features primarily Italian and Northwest wines. Volterra has received numerous accolades including: "Best New Restaurant" and "Best Italian Restaurant" by Seattle Magazine. "Best Italian Restaurant" by Seattle Citysearch, and "Best Chef Inspired Restaurant" by Seattle Metropolitan Magazine, Zagat "America's Top Restaurant's" and "America's Top Italian Restaurants". Rachael Ray named Volterra "one of her favorite restaurants on the planet".Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Volterra Kirkland - Best Restaurants in Kirkland ›
Volterra Kirkland reviews from OpenTable diners
143 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (90)neighborhood gem (79)special occasion (59)romantic (45)notable wine list (45)great for lunch (31)good for groups (23)hot spot (16)vibrant bar scene (12)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (4)late-night find (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great Italian!patronVIPDined on 11/25/2014They have some amazing sauces in their dishes with cream and truffle oil. I had the wild boar dish any my wife ate a pasta dish they were done very nicely. We recommend the tiramisu for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavors a tribute to being chef owned!CinderellaskiDined on 11/25/2014From the rustic bread and fennel salt to the Tiramisu...wow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal at VolterraOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/23/2014We went to Volterra because they are participating in the Dine Around Seattle event in Nov. We had my mother and my two kids with us. All of us agreed that Volterra was fantastic. My husband and I had the wild boar, my mom had the shrimp, and my kids shared the crab ravioli. All of our meals were great. My mom liked the salt that they serve with the bread so much that she asked about buying it to take home. Would definitely go back to Volterra.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall, a Good valuesunbeam08Dined on 11/23/2014Went for Dine Around Seattle. The cauliflower could have a bit more flavor to cut the heavy cream, otherwise, it could be an oustanding dish. The shrimp dish was great, really appreciated the warm salad and the potatoes. The lamb sandwich was underwhelming. They had a lamb shank choice on the menu last year, that was outstanding. It is sad that they took that off. Chocolate cake was good, but gelato had no flavor nor creaminess. Waitress was very courteous, but had a "I'm just doing my job" type of vibe. Not the warm friendly type of vibe.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunately, the decor was the best partWoodylynDined on 11/21/2014I had been looking forward to trying this place for weeks and it was a real let down. Ambiance is nice but that was it. The waiter was rude and inattentive. The wine wasn't great and it was expensive. The salad was pretty good but then came the entree which was over-cooked pasta with ground mutton (supposed to be lamb ragu). Didn't enjoy it at all and I love lamb. It was bad. My friend's pasta looked like airline food with mushy fettacine. Won't be going back.
- My New Favorite RestaurantMaryLeeDined on 11/20/2014I've had lunch here twice in the past month and both times it's been great! The service is exceptional and so is the food. It's one of those restaurants where it's hard to decide what to order because it is all so good. The roasted beet salad was great - so were the jumbo prawns. The horseradish braised pork cheeks were to die for! And I had a cauliflower appetizer that was exceptional. They are doing an excellent job here of serving really good food. In my opinion, it's the best restaurant in Kirkland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fungirls1234Dined on 11/15/2014The food and atmosphere was fantastic. Food was amazingSpecial Features:
- Another Wonderful MealnyvisitorVIPDined on 11/15/2014We did have to wait several minutes for a table although we had a reservation; we went to the bar area where we joked with the bartender until our table was ready. The wine suggestion was excellent as were the salads and main. The food is terrific, and I gave it a 5 star but I would not order the pork cheeks and mushroom pasta again; it wasn't what I thought it would be. The flavors were great but I was basically eating bacon. Everyone else raved about their food and my husband finished mine off. The dessert of molten chocolate cake is excellent; it is not really runny but more of a soft pudding center. The chocolate flavor is exactly like it should be. We are new to the area and are thrilled we've found this place; we've been here several times and enjoyed a wine pairing dinner here as well. Have not had a bad experience overall yet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood Restaurant with Big City FeelplateaumomDined on 11/15/2014We discovered Volterra using Open Table and we were NOT disappointed. When we were first sat at our table, the restaurant had few customers. As time went on, the restaurant filled with great food and laughter. Yes, I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone look for good atmosphere and good food on the Eastside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great - but there's a problem...HomecookEatingOutVIPDined on 11/8/2014Volterra - great food and service but be careful if you are only a party of two - the seating is horrible. They've crammed too many tables along the western wall of the restaurant so that you are sitting closer to the two people next to you instead of the person you came with across the table. In a bar that is fine, I expect to rub elbows. For a romantic dinner with my partner with reservations - it was untenable. With the quality of the food, I know that you want as many tables as you can get each night, but Volterra tipped the balance and the overall dining experience is completely compromised. If you go early, the bar area is a fabulous choice for dining as a couple.Special Features:
- Volterra is a GEMBangsterKirklandDined on 11/7/2014After having visited Volterra quite a few times with friends and business relations my wife and 2 kids decided to try it out for my sons 9 years birthday dinner. He picked the place himself by the way. It was just the 4 of us, but man. Also with kids the service level and atmosphere at Volterra is second to none. The staff is super friendly, very knowledgeable, and the food is just spectacularly good!!!! You can get half servings for kids, but no kids menu stuff. Kids get the same fantastic dishes, and the pasta selection and the lamb meatballs will get any child excited I'm sure. It was an great night out and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kirkland GemErictheEaterDined on 11/7/2014This was my third trip to Volterra in Kirkland and once again I was rewarded with a wonderful dining experience. If you are looking for great Italian food on the Eastside, with experienced and helpful staff and a cool vibe then I highly recommend Volterra.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningrisottoloverVIPDined on 11/6/2014We had a truly relaxing and delicious meal at Volterra. The food was excellent, as was the service. My husband has a lot of dietary restrictions, and our waiter was very well-informed about the dishes and what they contained. My husband's roasted chicken was the best he has every had, and my lamb ragu was excellent. Especially notable was the oil soup; delicious! The tiramisu was also very good. I love Negronis, and the grapfruit Negroni was a nice twist on the classic. It's such a pleasure to go to a restaurant in which you can hold a conversation without shouting at each other! Thanks, Volterra, for keeping the volume of the music down, and for adjusting the space acoustically to encourage intimate conversations.Special Features:
- Great food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/6/2014The food was very good but the service left much to be desired. A two-person dinner took almost two hours - which is just too long. Also I was disappointed at how long they left finished plates in front of us. I'll give it another try because of the good but if it's the same experience with the service, I might cross it off my list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great 30 for 30plutoDined on 11/5/2014We went for 30 for 30--boar tenderloin was excellent, as was cauliflower appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely VolterrarioritaDined on 11/5/2014We enjoyed a lovely meal at Volterra with our son and his girlfriend recently. The waitstaff was top notch! The crab ravioli was out of this world!Special Features:
- Wildly GoodBarBreakersDined on 11/2/2014Came here for my sons birthday. We started with the polenta appetizer. Could have easily had two or three more of those. Yummy! My son and I both tried the Wild Boar and it was amazing! My lovely wife had the half chicken with crispy skin. It was cooked to perfection and delicious. Our server was exceptionally knowledgeable. Timely without being rushed and made the whole experience delightful. We'll be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Italian FoodOkearnVIPDined on 11/1/2014This restaurant does a great job at presentation and quality of ingredients were excellent. Crab Raviolli was the best I've had. Prices are a bit high but the food is worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the boar!EastsiderDined on 11/1/2014Party of 4 for dinner. Mussels and sausage appetizer was a highlight. Appreciated their option to have a small serving of their pasta dishes. Well seasoned, deeply flavorful sauces. Didn't notice many vegetarian entrees, but they still had lots to choose from on their menu. If you're on the Eastside, you can't go wrong with Volterra. Easy to find street parking or free parking at the Kirkland Library.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little inconsistentBobKirkDined on 10/31/2014Normally enjoy the food but the Restaurant Week Fare was not up to normal standards. At lunch, the Lava cake was delicious but served chilled. Returned with guests a few days later on a Saturday night and was disappointed again by the Lava cake. No ying/yang of hot molten lava melting the ice cream. At dinner, the pasta with mushrooms and truffle oil was also a miss. Darn. It used to be my favorite. Even the spicy sausage and mussels were a little off. Changes in the kitchen?????Special Features:
- Lovely Birthday lunch!SassyDinerDined on 10/31/2014I took my friend for her birthday lunch at Volterra and it was quite a treat! We ordered off the Price Fix menu . We each had different salads and pasta dishes and both were wonderful. The service was top notch and we had a very relaxing experience.Special Features:
- Our favorite place in KirklandMWandYWDined on 10/28/2014My wife and I love Volterra. We try and make it out for dinner at least once a month and this is our top choice. When guests or family are in town we take them here. The cocktails are inventive and yummy. Everything on the menu is recommended as all we have tried has been amazing. Our favorite dishes are: wild boar tenderloin, pork jowles and wild mushrooms and the house steak. Appetizers we love are: lamb meatballs, mussels and sausage and the pear salad. The staff is great they always have great recommendations and advice, don't be afraid to ask them anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- echosaysDined on 10/28/2014When most people leave reviews, they usually focus on the food, but for this review, I want to focus on the service. Last year, I went to Volterra Kirkland for the first time and I'd say my first visit was so-so (6/10, 10 being the best). The food was delicious, but the service was medicore. During the first visit, I had gone with a group of 4 and it was oddly difficult to ask for water refills. This year, on 10/18/14, I had gone with a bigger group (we reserved a table for 8) and the service was excellent. Understandably, things were a little slow because there were a LOT of patrons that night, but I appreciated the fact that the waiters took the time to answer our questions and even created separate checks. 9/10 this round! =)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing SpecialHRR1Dined on 10/28/2014I went during restaurant week and ordered off the $30 fixed price menu. I thought the food was OK. I actually filled up on the Oil Soup which was kind of unique. I was disappointed they ran out of the normal crusty bread and gave us a loaf of a kind of bland style bread, however, the waiter was later able to find us some of the regular bread. The portion of lamb I received was very small but relatively tasty. Desert was very good. Nice selection of wine by the glass & bottle. I was pleased to be able to get a glass of Mark Ryan, which is very rare. The service was good, the waiter was attentive enough without being annoying, and provided just the right level of service. The busboy was very diligent about keeping our water glasses fullSpecial Features:
- Excellent Experienceretired14Dined on 10/27/2014Celebrated a great birthday in an energetic setting. Great food and even better service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great lunchthethreeladiesDined on 10/27/2014The three ladies had a great lunch together. The food selection was suitable for everyone's tastes and needs, and the serving sizes were very filling. All of us enjoyed delicious, flavorful meals.Special Features:
- Great food with resonable pricingAmberDined on 10/26/2014I went to Volterra Kirkland twice. Their food are amazing. I think it is one of the best Italian restaruant in Kirkland. I would like to try for Happy Hour or dinner next time. :)Special Features:
- Not overly impressedGdFoodGdWineDined on 10/24/2014After reading some reviews for this restaurant I was a little disappointed with the overall experience. The dining area is small and the tables are set quite close. This makes the space rather noisy and in-personable. If your looking for a quiet romantic dinner this isn't the place. The food was a mixed bag. I had the lamb ragu which wasn't bad but, I found it bland (lacking seasoning and depth) and a bit greasy. My partner had the lamb loin which was very good.
- disappointing...baconlvrVIPDined on 10/23/2014Went during Seattle Restaurant Week. The place was packed and they seemed overwhelmed & it's not that large of a restaurant. It took about 45 minutes between apps and the main course.... then another 20 to get dessert. At one point I looked around and no one in the place had any food. I enjoy a leisurely dinner but it was too much. I had wild boar for dinner - it was good but was accompanied by a side of veggies a la 1990. The tiramisu was wonderful, so was the oil soup. My friend and I mentioned to the maître that we had to wait a long time for dinner and the kitchen was frantic, but he brushed it off. An apology would have gone a lot further. So many other great restaurants around so I'll skip this one going forward.
- Impeccable ServiceKatieKatDined on 10/23/2014Brian, our primary server, is the definition of a good server. While other wait staff assisted, I especially wanted to give kudos to him. The food was fantastic (went during Seattle Restaurant Week), they make a mean old fashioned, and the atmosphere is pleasant. Although the Kirkland location is a little cramped and noisy, it still makes for a perfect "special occasion" spot. Save up your money to go here, it is NOT cheap.Special Features:
- MastanDined on 10/22/2014I have dinned many times here before to much better food Did not enjoy my lamb but the appetizer and dessert were good
- GregariousDined on 10/22/2014Service was great and the food was wonderful. Unique items that you would never make for yourself. Happy hour was worth a return.Special Features:
- Good food, service needs helpDatenightswithhubbyDined on 10/20/2014We went to Volterra during restaurant week. The restaurant week menu was pretty good. The food was great. We actually ordered another appetizer if the main menu too. Drinks were strong (and tasty). The only disappointment was our server. He was slow and inexperienced. We had to seek him out several times (did not bring plates for the appetizers, did not come back for another drink order, no bread refill etc). Overall, food was great and restaurant was nice. I would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kirkland GemBobKirkDined on 10/20/2014Volterra is always consistent. This week we enjoyed their restaurant week menu. Unlike some other restaurants they really put quality items on the menu for this event. Their Happy Hour starts at 12:00 noon and is one of the best in Kirkland and their pasta of the day ia always very interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First-timerjayjayDined on 10/20/2014This was my first experience with the place and it was great. The food is very tasty. I ate from the value menu allowing you to choose a three course meal for $15. The value was terrific. The only comment I have is that the server seemed almost as if though we were an inconvenience to him at the end as this was a business lunch and we stayed long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing....kimballthorneDined on 10/19/2014Went for restaurant week, and it was delightful! I had been there before, but it was my husbands first time. Needless to say, we will be back now that he is hooked!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic ItalianMomof3Dined on 10/15/2014Casual enviotnment. Exquisite food. Finally something AMAZING on the Eastside.Special Features:
- Very good, as alwaysFoodloverDined on 10/8/2014Volterra is a great spot for lunch or happy hour! Never disappoints.Special Features:
- Excellent food and wait staffLEpeteyDined on 10/4/2014Our group of foodies truly appreciated the food, which was prepared with care, elegantly plated, and absolutely delicious. We also really appreciated our waiter, who was incredibly knowledgable about the menu and wine options. When members of our group were unsure of what to order, he asked several questions and offered insights that were quite helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Improve your service staff already!DinerDameVIPDined on 10/3/2014If it weren't for the great food, I would never go back to this restaurant. The service staff is void of any personality and could use a course in skills. Seriously I have sat in various sections of the restaurant and all these male waiters are as pleasant as a headache! For these particular reservation, I brought three other people for business lunch. We waited about 8-10 minutes at the door before anyone showed up to say hello. They were not busy at all, but the host stand was empty and we couldn't even flag down a waiter. Disappointed. The food was great though!Special Features: