121 Kirkland Ave
Kirkland, WA 98033Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://volterrakirkland.com/
- Phone: 4252027201x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon-Thurs 11:30am - 10pm
Fri and Sat 11:30am - 11pm
Sunday 11:30am - 9pm
Daily from Noon-6pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Northwest
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We would love to assist you with catering for your offsite event. Please contact us and ask for Michelle for detailed information.
A word from Volterra Kirkland
Volterra features the bold-flavored, Tuscan-inspired menu of Chef Don Curtiss showcasing his innovative style applied to the bountiful harvest of the Pacific Northwest. Menu highlights include: Seasonal Tuscan specialties –truffles, squash blossoms, fresh porcini mushrooms are featured throughout the year. All natural, organic or free-range meats and poultry. Fresh, housemade pasta. Our extensive wine list features primarily Italian and Northwest wines. Volterra has received numerous accolades including: "Best New Restaurant" and "Best Italian Restaurant" by Seattle Magazine. "Best Italian Restaurant" by Seattle Citysearch, and "Best Chef Inspired Restaurant" by Seattle Metropolitan Magazine, Zagat "America's Top Restaurant's" and "America's Top Italian Restaurants". Rachael Ray named Volterra "one of her favorite restaurants on the planet".Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Volterra Kirkland - Best Restaurants in Kirkland ›
Volterra Kirkland reviews from OpenTable diners
121 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (72)neighborhood gem (59)special occasion (47)romantic (32)notable wine list (31)great for lunch (23)good for groups (17)hot spot (11)vibrant bar scene (7)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (4)late-night find (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Our favorite place in KirklandOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014My wife and I love Volterra. We try and make it out for dinner at least once a month and this is our top choice. When guests or family are in town we take them here. The cocktails are inventive and yummy. Everything on the menu is recommended as all we have tried has been amazing. Our favorite dishes are: wild boar tenderloin, pork jowles and wild mushrooms and the house steak. Appetizers we love are: lamb meatballs, mussels and sausage and the pear salad. The staff is great they always have great recommendations and advice, don't be afraid to ask them anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/28/2014When most people leave reviews, they usually focus on the food, but for this review, I want to focus on the service. Last year, I went to Volterra Kirkland for the first time and I'd say my first visit was so-so (6/10, 10 being the best). The food was delicious, but the service was medicore. During the first visit, I had gone with a group of 4 and it was oddly difficult to ask for water refills. This year, on 10/18/14, I had gone with a bigger group (we reserved a table for 8) and the service was excellent. Understandably, things were a little slow because there were a LOT of patrons that night, but I appreciated the fact that the waiters took the time to answer our questions and even created separate checks. 9/10 this round! =)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing SpecialHRR1Dined on 10/28/2014I went during restaurant week and ordered off the $30 fixed price menu. I thought the food was OK. I actually filled up on the Oil Soup which was kind of unique. I was disappointed they ran out of the normal crusty bread and gave us a loaf of a kind of bland style bread, however, the waiter was later able to find us some of the regular bread. The portion of lamb I received was very small but relatively tasty. Desert was very good. Nice selection of wine by the glass & bottle. I was pleased to be able to get a glass of Mark Ryan, which is very rare. The service was good, the waiter was attentive enough without being annoying, and provided just the right level of service. The busboy was very diligent about keeping our water glasses fullSpecial Features:
- Excellent ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014Celebrated a great birthday in an energetic setting. Great food and even better service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014The three ladies had a great lunch together. The food selection was suitable for everyone's tastes and needs, and the serving sizes were very filling. All of us enjoyed delicious, flavorful meals.Special Features:
- Not overly impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014After reading some reviews for this restaurant I was a little disappointed with the overall experience. The dining area is small and the tables are set quite close. This makes the space rather noisy and in-personable. If your looking for a quiet romantic dinner this isn't the place. The food was a mixed bag. I had the lamb ragu which wasn't bad but, I found it bland (lacking seasoning and depth) and a bit greasy. My partner had the lamb loin which was very good.
- disappointing...OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/23/2014Went during Seattle Restaurant Week. The place was packed and they seemed overwhelmed & it's not that large of a restaurant. It took about 45 minutes between apps and the main course.... then another 20 to get dessert. At one point I looked around and no one in the place had any food. I enjoy a leisurely dinner but it was too much. I had wild boar for dinner - it was good but was accompanied by a side of veggies a la 1990. The tiramisu was wonderful, so was the oil soup. My friend and I mentioned to the maître that we had to wait a long time for dinner and the kitchen was frantic, but he brushed it off. An apology would have gone a lot further. So many other great restaurants around so I'll skip this one going forward.
- Impeccable ServiceKatieKatDined on 10/23/2014Brian, our primary server, is the definition of a good server. While other wait staff assisted, I especially wanted to give kudos to him. The food was fantastic (went during Seattle Restaurant Week), they make a mean old fashioned, and the atmosphere is pleasant. Although the Kirkland location is a little cramped and noisy, it still makes for a perfect "special occasion" spot. Save up your money to go here, it is NOT cheap.Special Features:
- MastanDined on 10/22/2014I have dinned many times here before to much better food Did not enjoy my lamb but the appetizer and dessert were good
- GregariousDined on 10/22/2014Service was great and the food was wonderful. Unique items that you would never make for yourself. Happy hour was worth a return.Special Features:
- Good food, service needs helpDatenightswithhubbyDined on 10/20/2014We went to Volterra during restaurant week. The restaurant week menu was pretty good. The food was great. We actually ordered another appetizer if the main menu too. Drinks were strong (and tasty). The only disappointment was our server. He was slow and inexperienced. We had to seek him out several times (did not bring plates for the appetizers, did not come back for another drink order, no bread refill etc). Overall, food was great and restaurant was nice. I would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kirkland GemBobKirkDined on 10/20/2014Volterra is always consistent. This week we enjoyed their restaurant week menu. Unlike some other restaurants they really put quality items on the menu for this event. Their Happy Hour starts at 12:00 noon and is one of the best in Kirkland and their pasta of the day ia always very interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First-timerjayjayDined on 10/20/2014This was my first experience with the place and it was great. The food is very tasty. I ate from the value menu allowing you to choose a three course meal for $15. The value was terrific. The only comment I have is that the server seemed almost as if though we were an inconvenience to him at the end as this was a business lunch and we stayed long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing....kimballthorneDined on 10/19/2014Went for restaurant week, and it was delightful! I had been there before, but it was my husbands first time. Needless to say, we will be back now that he is hooked!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic ItalianMomof3Dined on 10/15/2014Casual enviotnment. Exquisite food. Finally something AMAZING on the Eastside.Special Features:
- Very good, as alwaysFoodloverDined on 10/8/2014Volterra is a great spot for lunch or happy hour! Never disappoints.Special Features:
- Excellent food and wait staffLEpeteyDined on 10/4/2014Our group of foodies truly appreciated the food, which was prepared with care, elegantly plated, and absolutely delicious. We also really appreciated our waiter, who was incredibly knowledgable about the menu and wine options. When members of our group were unsure of what to order, he asked several questions and offered insights that were quite helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Improve your service staff already!DinerDameVIPDined on 10/3/2014If it weren't for the great food, I would never go back to this restaurant. The service staff is void of any personality and could use a course in skills. Seriously I have sat in various sections of the restaurant and all these male waiters are as pleasant as a headache! For these particular reservation, I brought three other people for business lunch. We waited about 8-10 minutes at the door before anyone showed up to say hello. They were not busy at all, but the host stand was empty and we couldn't even flag down a waiter. Disappointed. The food was great though!Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceHc777VIPDined on 10/2/2014The food and service are always excellent here and the friend who joined us loved it as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lady Ena & her friendFechinDined on 9/28/2014We had Sunday evening dinner. My friend took seafood entre from the specials list (scallops & clams). I had jumbo prawns. My dish was tasty - although prawns were not really jumbo. Everything was tasty there was only too much of garlic or garlic alike seasoning. Wine choices were good and I enjoyed my wine.Special Features:
- Great foodsafoodieDined on 9/26/2014This restaurant has a foodie menu, it's unusual and a welcome turn from the normal cuisine in restaurants. It feels like every dish is uniquely prepared, not rushed and made to be enjoyed. Service is great, the food arrived allowing good conversation in-between starters and main course. It definitely has a European feel to it and therefore one of the better restaurants in Seattle area in my opinion, don't let size be deceiving. Booking is a must as the train of people did not stop until a very late hour. Lip-smacking good !Special Features:
- very enjoyable mealeaterDined on 9/17/2014Great place to have a leisurely meal with very good food and drink. Service was a little slow but our party was not in a rush.Special Features:
- Absolutely amazing food & service!LynnVVIPDined on 9/16/2014Took a friend from out of town out for dinner at Volterra on a weeknight. Great menu selections and specials for the evening. Yummy rustic bread with olive oil and their specially made Fennel Salt brought out right away. Great wine list. Appetizers and dinner were fantastic. Everyone had something different and, as usual, I tasted each. House made Butternut Squash ravioli was tender and flavorful. Chicken was tender and juicy. The braised porch cheeks with creamy polenta were so tender and flavorful - AMAZING! Warm chocolate lava cake with vanilla gelato finished off the meal and everyone loved it. Server was attentive, timely, and had great feedback on menu items lending his knowledge and personality to an enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great staff &GF menuGlutenFreeDined on 9/9/2014reserved on OpenTable, but called ahead when stuck in traffic coming from Seattle. Riley gladly altered time and was so appreciative for the heads up. Seth was great with GF suggestions & wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Understated...hidden gemnyvisitorVIPDined on 9/6/2014Have walked past this restaurant many times and I wished we'd tried it sooner. The food was very good/excellent, as was the service. The atmosphere is sophisticated but people were dressed in a range of attire; I would recommend nice casual to dressy casual...nothing scruffy as that shows lack of respect for the restaurant and the atmosphere it is trying to create. Our waiter brought two wines for me to try to see which I would like better with my meal and helped narrow our options for our meal and dessert since it all sounded so good. I don't think you can go wrong at this understated restaurant. It is now on my top ten list...not in any order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappontingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/6/2014Food was very good but service was very inattentive. Table format for 2 is not very private. Asked to substitute potatos for pasta and told I could not do it. Not expected for this level of restaurant.Special Features:
- One of our favorites!SaraVIPDined on 9/2/2014The chicken is my very favorite, the Caesar salad is delicious & Garen is the best waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Great local restaurant serving tasty, Italian cuisine at very affordable prices. Very friendly and accommodating serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy...MaestroDined on 8/30/2014This is not a place to go for an intimate dinner. The tables are very close together, so there is little to no privacy. As long as you don't mind sharing your conversation with people around you, the food and service are excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spicy Tomato Sauce Is HeavenlyfoodiefromSeattleDined on 8/27/2014I have been to Volterra in Ballard and Kirkland several times. I have always had a wonderful meal there. The lamb meatballs were on a bed a spaghetti sauce which led to a nice touch of crisp and sweet to the dish. The mushroom sauce on the polenta was really good. Together the meatballs and the polenta were a great combination. As always the beet arugula salad is a must have. The eggplant pouches and the spicy tomato sauce is a dish I always order. I dream about the spicy sauce! The brunello we ordered went very well with the eggplant and the rib eye steak special The wait staff was marvelous and put up with my provocative questions with good humor.Special Features:
- Wonderful surprise!SammamishFoodieVIPDined on 8/24/2014My husband and I were very pleasantly surprised with Volterra; what a gem in downtown Kirkland! We both opted for the fixed price lunch specials (choose 2 courses) which were both outstanding. The restaurant itself is modern with quite a chic interior (the Chihuly paintings were amazing!). Full bar with great cocktails too. The only thing missing is outdoor seating when the weather is nice. We will be back very soon!Special Features:
- lb1233Dined on 8/23/2014The food and our waiter Paul made the night excellent! I would go there and request him! He was informative and fun! We laughed so much! Best waiter we have ever had! Drinks were great also!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GregVIPDined on 8/22/2014Steven was an excellent server. The unique food selection and prep were worth the drive from Queen Anne. The environment was a bit casual and crowded for the prices and chef inspired foods....felt a bit too laid back and corporate but all in all a great choiceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Specify a tableDanielDined on 8/19/2014We made our reservation in plenty of time but got a table that had a view of the bar and the toilet. Service was also so-so. Not likely to returnSpecial Features:
- Great food as usual!DeborahDined on 8/19/2014Volterra is just a great place to relax for dinner and you can't beat the environment. The servers are wonderful and really take care of customers. Happy hour food is excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KinrhoDined on 8/15/2014Delicious food and excellent service. Excellent cocktails too! Unfortunately we were in a bit of a hurry but the restaurant was very accomodating and brought us food promptly. I had the caprese salad, and I thought it was fresh tasting a delicious. I had the wild boar which I really enjoyed, but when I tasted my husband's pasta, I knew we would be back again to try some more dishes. The pasta was tender and tasty, with a bit of zip. I would go back again and bring friends.Special Features:
- AddyJDined on 8/12/2014Excellent restaurant. Volterra is quickly becoming a favorite. Great for small groups. Some of the tables are a little close together and would not be ideal for a "romantic" date or quiet conversation. Food is always excellent. Can't go wrong with the daily specials!! Awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Take your date to VolterraWildblueDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I went for the first time tonight. The service is over and above outstanding. The menu is unique and full of a wide variety of choices. One thing I love about tonight is that my wife could not decide between two pasta dishes so our waiter said he would get her 1/2 of both which he did. I ordered the Vesper martini and the bartender is a real professional, it was perfect, twice. I made my reservation through Opentable and added a note that it was my wife's birthday. At dessert time our most excellent waiter knew about it and brought out our treat with a candle. I think Volterra is the best value in Kirkland. There is plenty of free parking. Go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian wines and amazing foodBobMVIPDined on 8/9/2014Our first visit to this local gem was great. My only critique was a bit of a wait for the entre. I love Italian and Spanish wines and there was no shortage of choices here. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treat ...Ned47Dined on 8/8/2014... as usual. This is wonderful restaurant (both in its original Ballard location and now in Kirkland). Great food and interesting specials. Always willing to accommodate special requests or dietary needs. They remember your name and are genuinely happy to see you when you arrive (we do once a month or so). Attentive, but not intrusive service. Good value. Would that the rest of life could be organized this way!Special Features: