121 Kirkland Ave
Kirkland, WA 98033Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://volterrakirkland.com/
- Phone: 4252027201x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon-Thurs 11:30am - 10pm
Fri and Sat 11:30am - 11pm
Sunday 11:30am - 9pm
Daily from Noon-6pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Northwest
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We would love to assist you with catering for your offsite event. Please contact us and ask for Michelle for detailed information.
A word from Volterra Kirkland
Volterra features the bold-flavored, Tuscan-inspired menu of Chef Don Curtiss showcasing his innovative style applied to the bountiful harvest of the Pacific Northwest. Menu highlights include: Seasonal Tuscan specialties –truffles, squash blossoms, fresh porcini mushrooms are featured throughout the year. All natural, organic or free-range meats and poultry. Fresh, housemade pasta. Our extensive wine list features primarily Italian and Northwest wines. Volterra has received numerous accolades including: "Best New Restaurant" and "Best Italian Restaurant" by Seattle Magazine. "Best Italian Restaurant" by Seattle Citysearch, and "Best Chef Inspired Restaurant" by Seattle Metropolitan Magazine, Zagat "America's Top Restaurant's" and "America's Top Italian Restaurants". Rachael Ray named Volterra "one of her favorite restaurants on the planet".Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Volterra Kirkland - Best Restaurants in Kirkland ›
Volterra Kirkland reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (67)neighborhood gem (55)special occasion (46)romantic (33)notable wine list (26)great for lunch (19)good for groups (15)hot spot (10)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (6)vibrant bar scene (6)great for outdoor dining (5)late-night find (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- MastanDined on 10/22/2014I have dinned many times here before to much better food Did not enjoy my lamb but the appetizer and dessert were good
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/22/2014Service was great and the food was wonderful. Unique items that you would never make for yourself. Happy hour was worth a return.Special Features:
- Good food, service needs helpOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/20/2014We went to Volterra during restaurant week. The restaurant week menu was pretty good. The food was great. We actually ordered another appetizer if the main menu too. Drinks were strong (and tasty). The only disappointment was our server. He was slow and inexperienced. We had to seek him out several times (did not bring plates for the appetizers, did not come back for another drink order, no bread refill etc). Overall, food was great and restaurant was nice. I would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kirkland GemOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/20/2014Volterra is always consistent. This week we enjoyed their restaurant week menu. Unlike some other restaurants they really put quality items on the menu for this event. Their Happy Hour starts at 12:00 noon and is one of the best in Kirkland and their pasta of the day ia always very interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First-timerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2014This was my first experience with the place and it was great. The food is very tasty. I ate from the value menu allowing you to choose a three course meal for $15. The value was terrific. The only comment I have is that the server seemed almost as if though we were an inconvenience to him at the end as this was a business lunch and we stayed long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing....kimballthorneDined on 10/19/2014Went for restaurant week, and it was delightful! I had been there before, but it was my husbands first time. Needless to say, we will be back now that he is hooked!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic ItalianMomof3Dined on 10/15/2014Casual enviotnment. Exquisite food. Finally something AMAZING on the Eastside.Special Features:
- Very good, as alwaysFoodloverDined on 10/8/2014Volterra is a great spot for lunch or happy hour! Never disappoints.Special Features:
- Excellent food and wait staffLEpeteyDined on 10/4/2014Our group of foodies truly appreciated the food, which was prepared with care, elegantly plated, and absolutely delicious. We also really appreciated our waiter, who was incredibly knowledgable about the menu and wine options. When members of our group were unsure of what to order, he asked several questions and offered insights that were quite helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Improve your service staff already!DinerDameVIPDined on 10/3/2014If it weren't for the great food, I would never go back to this restaurant. The service staff is void of any personality and could use a course in skills. Seriously I have sat in various sections of the restaurant and all these male waiters are as pleasant as a headache! For these particular reservation, I brought three other people for business lunch. We waited about 8-10 minutes at the door before anyone showed up to say hello. They were not busy at all, but the host stand was empty and we couldn't even flag down a waiter. Disappointed. The food was great though!Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceHc777VIPDined on 10/2/2014The food and service are always excellent here and the friend who joined us loved it as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lady Ena & her friendFechinDined on 9/28/2014We had Sunday evening dinner. My friend took seafood entre from the specials list (scallops & clams). I had jumbo prawns. My dish was tasty - although prawns were not really jumbo. Everything was tasty there was only too much of garlic or garlic alike seasoning. Wine choices were good and I enjoyed my wine.Special Features:
- Great foodsafoodieDined on 9/26/2014This restaurant has a foodie menu, it's unusual and a welcome turn from the normal cuisine in restaurants. It feels like every dish is uniquely prepared, not rushed and made to be enjoyed. Service is great, the food arrived allowing good conversation in-between starters and main course. It definitely has a European feel to it and therefore one of the better restaurants in Seattle area in my opinion, don't let size be deceiving. Booking is a must as the train of people did not stop until a very late hour. Lip-smacking good !Special Features:
- very enjoyable mealeaterDined on 9/17/2014Great place to have a leisurely meal with very good food and drink. Service was a little slow but our party was not in a rush.Special Features:
- Absolutely amazing food & service!LynnVVIPDined on 9/16/2014Took a friend from out of town out for dinner at Volterra on a weeknight. Great menu selections and specials for the evening. Yummy rustic bread with olive oil and their specially made Fennel Salt brought out right away. Great wine list. Appetizers and dinner were fantastic. Everyone had something different and, as usual, I tasted each. House made Butternut Squash ravioli was tender and flavorful. Chicken was tender and juicy. The braised porch cheeks with creamy polenta were so tender and flavorful - AMAZING! Warm chocolate lava cake with vanilla gelato finished off the meal and everyone loved it. Server was attentive, timely, and had great feedback on menu items lending his knowledge and personality to an enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great staff &GF menuGlutenFreeDined on 9/9/2014reserved on OpenTable, but called ahead when stuck in traffic coming from Seattle. Riley gladly altered time and was so appreciative for the heads up. Seth was great with GF suggestions & wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Understated...hidden gemnyvisitorVIPDined on 9/6/2014Have walked past this restaurant many times and I wished we'd tried it sooner. The food was very good/excellent, as was the service. The atmosphere is sophisticated but people were dressed in a range of attire; I would recommend nice casual to dressy casual...nothing scruffy as that shows lack of respect for the restaurant and the atmosphere it is trying to create. Our waiter brought two wines for me to try to see which I would like better with my meal and helped narrow our options for our meal and dessert since it all sounded so good. I don't think you can go wrong at this understated restaurant. It is now on my top ten list...not in any order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappontingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/6/2014Food was very good but service was very inattentive. Table format for 2 is not very private. Asked to substitute potatos for pasta and told I could not do it. Not expected for this level of restaurant.Special Features:
- One of our favorites!SaraVIPDined on 9/2/2014The chicken is my very favorite, the Caesar salad is delicious & Garen is the best waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Great local restaurant serving tasty, Italian cuisine at very affordable prices. Very friendly and accommodating serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy...MaestroDined on 8/30/2014This is not a place to go for an intimate dinner. The tables are very close together, so there is little to no privacy. As long as you don't mind sharing your conversation with people around you, the food and service are excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spicy Tomato Sauce Is HeavenlyfoodiefromSeattleDined on 8/27/2014I have been to Volterra in Ballard and Kirkland several times. I have always had a wonderful meal there. The lamb meatballs were on a bed a spaghetti sauce which led to a nice touch of crisp and sweet to the dish. The mushroom sauce on the polenta was really good. Together the meatballs and the polenta were a great combination. As always the beet arugula salad is a must have. The eggplant pouches and the spicy tomato sauce is a dish I always order. I dream about the spicy sauce! The brunello we ordered went very well with the eggplant and the rib eye steak special The wait staff was marvelous and put up with my provocative questions with good humor.Special Features:
- Wonderful surprise!SammamishFoodieVIPDined on 8/24/2014My husband and I were very pleasantly surprised with Volterra; what a gem in downtown Kirkland! We both opted for the fixed price lunch specials (choose 2 courses) which were both outstanding. The restaurant itself is modern with quite a chic interior (the Chihuly paintings were amazing!). Full bar with great cocktails too. The only thing missing is outdoor seating when the weather is nice. We will be back very soon!Special Features:
- lb1233Dined on 8/23/2014The food and our waiter Paul made the night excellent! I would go there and request him! He was informative and fun! We laughed so much! Best waiter we have ever had! Drinks were great also!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GregVIPDined on 8/22/2014Steven was an excellent server. The unique food selection and prep were worth the drive from Queen Anne. The environment was a bit casual and crowded for the prices and chef inspired foods....felt a bit too laid back and corporate but all in all a great choiceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Specify a tableDanielDined on 8/19/2014We made our reservation in plenty of time but got a table that had a view of the bar and the toilet. Service was also so-so. Not likely to returnSpecial Features:
- Great food as usual!DeborahDined on 8/19/2014Volterra is just a great place to relax for dinner and you can't beat the environment. The servers are wonderful and really take care of customers. Happy hour food is excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KinrhoDined on 8/15/2014Delicious food and excellent service. Excellent cocktails too! Unfortunately we were in a bit of a hurry but the restaurant was very accomodating and brought us food promptly. I had the caprese salad, and I thought it was fresh tasting a delicious. I had the wild boar which I really enjoyed, but when I tasted my husband's pasta, I knew we would be back again to try some more dishes. The pasta was tender and tasty, with a bit of zip. I would go back again and bring friends.Special Features:
- AddyJDined on 8/12/2014Excellent restaurant. Volterra is quickly becoming a favorite. Great for small groups. Some of the tables are a little close together and would not be ideal for a "romantic" date or quiet conversation. Food is always excellent. Can't go wrong with the daily specials!! Awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Take your date to VolterraWildblueDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I went for the first time tonight. The service is over and above outstanding. The menu is unique and full of a wide variety of choices. One thing I love about tonight is that my wife could not decide between two pasta dishes so our waiter said he would get her 1/2 of both which he did. I ordered the Vesper martini and the bartender is a real professional, it was perfect, twice. I made my reservation through Opentable and added a note that it was my wife's birthday. At dessert time our most excellent waiter knew about it and brought out our treat with a candle. I think Volterra is the best value in Kirkland. There is plenty of free parking. Go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian wines and amazing foodBobMVIPDined on 8/9/2014Our first visit to this local gem was great. My only critique was a bit of a wait for the entre. I love Italian and Spanish wines and there was no shortage of choices here. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treat ...Ned47Dined on 8/8/2014... as usual. This is wonderful restaurant (both in its original Ballard location and now in Kirkland). Great food and interesting specials. Always willing to accommodate special requests or dietary needs. They remember your name and are genuinely happy to see you when you arrive (we do once a month or so). Attentive, but not intrusive service. Good value. Would that the rest of life could be organized this way!Special Features:
- Downtown Kirkland GemDeanaDined on 8/4/2014This is the second time my husband and I have been to this restaurant and it did not disappoint. It was a quiet Monday night, the service was friendly and the food was great. My daughter is a vegetarian, so they adjusted a pasta dish to her needs. The crab ravioli was great. I loved the pear and gorgonzola salad. My shrimp pasta was the least interesting, but very good nonetheless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience at local gemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/31/2014Second time coming to Volterra, but my third time trying their food. I tried their Lamb meat ball couple years back at Taste of Seattle, and I was already impressed. I went there again March this year during 30 for 30, which I ordered the Lamb Shank as my main course. The shank was nicely done, tender and juicy with just the right amount of herbs to bring out the natural flavor of the shank. I was also offered a generous portion of Tiramisu, made in-house and was one of the best I have had. My third experience with Volterra was just as good as before. Greeted by friendly staff. From bread to dessert, we enjoyed everything. We had the Pork Jawl Wild Mushrooms pasta and Lamb Ragu Pappardelle. You should definitely try them yourself.Special Features:
- another yummy dinner at VolterrameganselVIPDined on 7/30/2014Have been to this location several times. I highly suggest the polenta appetizer. So delicious- every time. The beet salad is also yummy. This time I got the chicken dish. Good menu staple.Special Features:
- Food keeps getting better!Pam6411Dined on 7/26/2014My husband & I have been going to Volterra in Kirkland since they opened and I think they have really hit their stride. I think they had a few bumps at the beginning, but the food & service over the last year has been consistently high in quality. I took a group of friends there for a happy hour and they all raved about it and are now frequent customers. Our dinner last Saturday was excellent. We had the fettuccini with prawns and the pasta with wild mushrooms and pork jowls. The sauces were light, but perfectly seasoned, just the right dish for a hot summer night. The caesar salad and tomato panzanella salad were also spot on. Also they have very creative cocktails. Overall, all elements were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was Average, Drinks Awesome!IllbebackDined on 7/26/2014Thought the Marlin was good (nothing special) but the Pasta (Crab Ravioli & Polenta and Wild Mushrooms) was very average. However, the Manhatten and Martini was memorable. The Service was awesome, but the seating is very tight and noisy to the point where we had to listen to the conversations on both sides of us. I would go to the bar next time and enjoy their incredible cocktails. Might try the pork or beef options next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VistingObanRDined on 7/25/2014My wife and I flew in for a Family wedding on our anniversary and wanted a place to have a nice dinner. I fond Volterra online and it looked interesting. It met all our expectations for a great night out. I had the wild boar which was very good, but most of all the service was excellents.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Volterra was Vabulous!HalVDined on 7/25/2014Visited based on recent feature of Ballard location on Check Please. First, it was great to see that there are still professionals in the food service business. Our waiter noted he had lived in Italy and knew the wine regions, he made a great food and wine suggestion. Food was fabulous, I had pork cheeks, companion had seafood medley. Volterra is a bit noisy and table spacing tight, not the place to go to propose, however if you like buzz and an urban feel, this is a great choice. Only real downside to the evening was my parking ticket from those wonderful folks at Diamond, I thought the garage was dedicated to the restaurant and therefore buzzed right past the pay box, started to realize my dilemma when I asked about validating parking!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hazelnut gelato is to die for!CubanitaEnAtlantaVIPDined on 7/25/2014We really enjoyed he hazelnut gelato as well as the linguine with clams.Special Features: