121 Kirkland Ave
Kirkland, WA 98033Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://volterrakirkland.com/
- Phone: 4252027201x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon-Thurs 11:30am - 10pm
Fri and Sat 11:30am - 11pm
Sunday 11:30am - 9pm
Daily from Noon-6pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Northwest
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We would love to assist you with catering for your offsite event. Please contact us and ask for Michelle for detailed information.
A word from Volterra Kirkland
Volterra features the bold-flavored, Tuscan-inspired menu of Chef Don Curtiss showcasing his innovative style applied to the bountiful harvest of the Pacific Northwest. Menu highlights include: Seasonal Tuscan specialties –truffles, squash blossoms, fresh porcini mushrooms are featured throughout the year. All natural, organic or free-range meats and poultry. Fresh, housemade pasta. Our extensive wine list features primarily Italian and Northwest wines. Volterra has received numerous accolades including: "Best New Restaurant" and "Best Italian Restaurant" by Seattle Magazine. "Best Italian Restaurant" by Seattle Citysearch, and "Best Chef Inspired Restaurant" by Seattle Metropolitan Magazine, Zagat "America's Top Restaurant's" and "America's Top Italian Restaurants". Rachael Ray named Volterra "one of her favorite restaurants on the planet".Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Volterra Kirkland - Best Restaurants in Kirkland ›
Volterra Kirkland reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (60)neighborhood gem (51)special occasion (41)romantic (26)notable wine list (24)great for lunch (17)good for groups (11)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (6)vibrant bar scene (5)great for outdoor dining (4)late-night find (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- Absolutely amazing food & service!LynnVVIPDined on 9/16/2014Took a friend from out of town out for dinner at Volterra on a weeknight. Great menu selections and specials for the evening. Yummy rustic bread with olive oil and their specially made Fennel Salt brought out right away. Great wine list. Appetizers and dinner were fantastic. Everyone had something different and, as usual, I tasted each. House made Butternut Squash ravioli was tender and flavorful. Chicken was tender and juicy. The braised porch cheeks with creamy polenta were so tender and flavorful - AMAZING! Warm chocolate lava cake with vanilla gelato finished off the meal and everyone loved it. Server was attentive, timely, and had great feedback on menu items lending his knowledge and personality to an enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great staff &GF menuGlutenFreeDined on 9/9/2014reserved on OpenTable, but called ahead when stuck in traffic coming from Seattle. Riley gladly altered time and was so appreciative for the heads up. Seth was great with GF suggestions & wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Understated...hidden gemnyvisitorVIPDined on 9/6/2014Have walked past this restaurant many times and I wished we'd tried it sooner. The food was very good/excellent, as was the service. The atmosphere is sophisticated but people were dressed in a range of attire; I would recommend nice casual to dressy casual...nothing scruffy as that shows lack of respect for the restaurant and the atmosphere it is trying to create. Our waiter brought two wines for me to try to see which I would like better with my meal and helped narrow our options for our meal and dessert since it all sounded so good. I don't think you can go wrong at this understated restaurant. It is now on my top ten list...not in any order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappontingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/6/2014Food was very good but service was very inattentive. Table format for 2 is not very private. Asked to substitute potatos for pasta and told I could not do it. Not expected for this level of restaurant.Special Features:
- One of our favorites!SaraVIPDined on 9/2/2014The chicken is my very favorite, the Caesar salad is delicious & Garen is the best waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Great local restaurant serving tasty, Italian cuisine at very affordable prices. Very friendly and accommodating serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy...MaestroDined on 8/30/2014This is not a place to go for an intimate dinner. The tables are very close together, so there is little to no privacy. As long as you don't mind sharing your conversation with people around you, the food and service are excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spicy Tomato Sauce Is HeavenlyfoodiefromSeattleDined on 8/27/2014I have been to Volterra in Ballard and Kirkland several times. I have always had a wonderful meal there. The lamb meatballs were on a bed a spaghetti sauce which led to a nice touch of crisp and sweet to the dish. The mushroom sauce on the polenta was really good. Together the meatballs and the polenta were a great combination. As always the beet arugula salad is a must have. The eggplant pouches and the spicy tomato sauce is a dish I always order. I dream about the spicy sauce! The brunello we ordered went very well with the eggplant and the rib eye steak special The wait staff was marvelous and put up with my provocative questions with good humor.Special Features:
- Wonderful surprise!SammamishFoodieVIPDined on 8/24/2014My husband and I were very pleasantly surprised with Volterra; what a gem in downtown Kirkland! We both opted for the fixed price lunch specials (choose 2 courses) which were both outstanding. The restaurant itself is modern with quite a chic interior (the Chihuly paintings were amazing!). Full bar with great cocktails too. The only thing missing is outdoor seating when the weather is nice. We will be back very soon!Special Features:
- lb1233Dined on 8/23/2014The food and our waiter Paul made the night excellent! I would go there and request him! He was informative and fun! We laughed so much! Best waiter we have ever had! Drinks were great also!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GregVIPDined on 8/22/2014Steven was an excellent server. The unique food selection and prep were worth the drive from Queen Anne. The environment was a bit casual and crowded for the prices and chef inspired foods....felt a bit too laid back and corporate but all in all a great choiceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Specify a tableDanielDined on 8/19/2014We made our reservation in plenty of time but got a table that had a view of the bar and the toilet. Service was also so-so. Not likely to returnSpecial Features:
- Great food as usual!DeborahDined on 8/19/2014Volterra is just a great place to relax for dinner and you can't beat the environment. The servers are wonderful and really take care of customers. Happy hour food is excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KinrhoDined on 8/15/2014Delicious food and excellent service. Excellent cocktails too! Unfortunately we were in a bit of a hurry but the restaurant was very accomodating and brought us food promptly. I had the caprese salad, and I thought it was fresh tasting a delicious. I had the wild boar which I really enjoyed, but when I tasted my husband's pasta, I knew we would be back again to try some more dishes. The pasta was tender and tasty, with a bit of zip. I would go back again and bring friends.Special Features:
- AddyJDined on 8/12/2014Excellent restaurant. Volterra is quickly becoming a favorite. Great for small groups. Some of the tables are a little close together and would not be ideal for a "romantic" date or quiet conversation. Food is always excellent. Can't go wrong with the daily specials!! Awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Take your date to VolterraWildblueDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I went for the first time tonight. The service is over and above outstanding. The menu is unique and full of a wide variety of choices. One thing I love about tonight is that my wife could not decide between two pasta dishes so our waiter said he would get her 1/2 of both which he did. I ordered the Vesper martini and the bartender is a real professional, it was perfect, twice. I made my reservation through Opentable and added a note that it was my wife's birthday. At dessert time our most excellent waiter knew about it and brought out our treat with a candle. I think Volterra is the best value in Kirkland. There is plenty of free parking. Go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian wines and amazing foodBobMVIPDined on 8/9/2014Our first visit to this local gem was great. My only critique was a bit of a wait for the entre. I love Italian and Spanish wines and there was no shortage of choices here. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treat ...Ned47Dined on 8/8/2014... as usual. This is wonderful restaurant (both in its original Ballard location and now in Kirkland). Great food and interesting specials. Always willing to accommodate special requests or dietary needs. They remember your name and are genuinely happy to see you when you arrive (we do once a month or so). Attentive, but not intrusive service. Good value. Would that the rest of life could be organized this way!Special Features:
- Downtown Kirkland GemDeanaDined on 8/4/2014This is the second time my husband and I have been to this restaurant and it did not disappoint. It was a quiet Monday night, the service was friendly and the food was great. My daughter is a vegetarian, so they adjusted a pasta dish to her needs. The crab ravioli was great. I loved the pear and gorgonzola salad. My shrimp pasta was the least interesting, but very good nonetheless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience at local gemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/31/2014Second time coming to Volterra, but my third time trying their food. I tried their Lamb meat ball couple years back at Taste of Seattle, and I was already impressed. I went there again March this year during 30 for 30, which I ordered the Lamb Shank as my main course. The shank was nicely done, tender and juicy with just the right amount of herbs to bring out the natural flavor of the shank. I was also offered a generous portion of Tiramisu, made in-house and was one of the best I have had. My third experience with Volterra was just as good as before. Greeted by friendly staff. From bread to dessert, we enjoyed everything. We had the Pork Jawl Wild Mushrooms pasta and Lamb Ragu Pappardelle. You should definitely try them yourself.Special Features:
- another yummy dinner at VolterrameganselVIPDined on 7/30/2014Have been to this location several times. I highly suggest the polenta appetizer. So delicious- every time. The beet salad is also yummy. This time I got the chicken dish. Good menu staple.Special Features:
- Food keeps getting better!Pam6411Dined on 7/26/2014My husband & I have been going to Volterra in Kirkland since they opened and I think they have really hit their stride. I think they had a few bumps at the beginning, but the food & service over the last year has been consistently high in quality. I took a group of friends there for a happy hour and they all raved about it and are now frequent customers. Our dinner last Saturday was excellent. We had the fettuccini with prawns and the pasta with wild mushrooms and pork jowls. The sauces were light, but perfectly seasoned, just the right dish for a hot summer night. The caesar salad and tomato panzanella salad were also spot on. Also they have very creative cocktails. Overall, all elements were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was Average, Drinks Awesome!IllbebackDined on 7/26/2014Thought the Marlin was good (nothing special) but the Pasta (Crab Ravioli & Polenta and Wild Mushrooms) was very average. However, the Manhatten and Martini was memorable. The Service was awesome, but the seating is very tight and noisy to the point where we had to listen to the conversations on both sides of us. I would go to the bar next time and enjoy their incredible cocktails. Might try the pork or beef options next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VistingObanRDined on 7/25/2014My wife and I flew in for a Family wedding on our anniversary and wanted a place to have a nice dinner. I fond Volterra online and it looked interesting. It met all our expectations for a great night out. I had the wild boar which was very good, but most of all the service was excellents.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Volterra was Vabulous!HalVDined on 7/25/2014Visited based on recent feature of Ballard location on Check Please. First, it was great to see that there are still professionals in the food service business. Our waiter noted he had lived in Italy and knew the wine regions, he made a great food and wine suggestion. Food was fabulous, I had pork cheeks, companion had seafood medley. Volterra is a bit noisy and table spacing tight, not the place to go to propose, however if you like buzz and an urban feel, this is a great choice. Only real downside to the evening was my parking ticket from those wonderful folks at Diamond, I thought the garage was dedicated to the restaurant and therefore buzzed right past the pay box, started to realize my dilemma when I asked about validating parking!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hazelnut gelato is to die for!CubanitaEnAtlantaVIPDined on 7/25/2014We really enjoyed he hazelnut gelato as well as the linguine with clams.Special Features:
- Not what it used to beMichtoVIPDined on 7/24/2014I keep going back to this restaurant hoping it will be as good as it was a few years ago. Unfortunately, the food isn't as flavorful as it used to be and the time it takes the kitchen to prepare it isn't worth the wait. The appetizers are still very good though and their rosemary lemon drop is excellent so I'd definitely recommend getting a quick bite and drinks.
- Excellent Italian food.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/18/2014Great food, great device, great wines and drinks. The pork cheeks were amazing.Special Features:
- Date nightGatorDined on 7/18/2014Took my wife to Volterra for date night.... We truly enjoyed ourselves as well as the whole dinning experience. We live in Kirkland and will deffently be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DiscretoKirklandboyVIPDined on 7/15/2014Rather disappointing overall. A good wine list and good desserts were its saving graces. The eggplant raviolis were too chewy and the sauce had way too much garlic. The mashed potatoes tasted like they came from a box. The main courses came were over sauced. This is not by any stretch of the imagination a Restaurant worthy of a Tuscan name, sorry to say. Waitstaff was nice.
- excellent good..Satisfied1Dined on 7/8/2014Wonderful menu selections. great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun with friends, fishy fishseafoodloverDined on 7/7/2014Went to dinner with friends Monday evening and ordered the Mahi off the special menu. It was not good. Very fishy tasting which means it was not fresh. If I was with my family, I would have sent it back. My beet salad was yummy and the gelato dessert we had was also very good. Should have stuck with Anthony Bourdain's advice to never eat seafood at a restaurant on a Monday, but I expected more from Volterra.Special Features:
- Exceptional Italian Experiencemichael4kirklandDined on 7/6/2014This is an exceptional Italian restaurant. The menu, service, wine list, ambience and all around experience is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not great..jaimermxDined on 7/3/2014I expected a little better, especially more Italian entrees..
- Volterra can do no wronginfluentDined on 7/3/2014Well, the last time the pork jowl pasta was a little truffley for my tastes, and the server mispronounced mascarpone, but aside from that everything was amazing as usual.Special Features:
- Great food, reluctant to go backDinerDameVIPDined on 7/3/2014I have been to this restaurant 4 times in the last 6months, big group, small group, twice with just my boyfriend. Love the location and the food. The service staff makes it difficult to want to go back. We had a Greek guy once, a Hispanic guy another time, a woman once who was probably the better of all. They are void of any personality, take your order (as quickly as possible, you'd think they are being timed). They drop off your food and you never see them again. You have to flag a couple of people to flag your waiter so you can pay your bill and go home.... Service gets a big huge F. Too bad, because the food is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cocohDined on 7/1/2014My husband and I dined there this past week. The service was excellent and it was a nice quiet place to enjoy a night out. I was able to get a small portion of pasta and then a salad, too. It spicy Italian pasta dish was excellent. My husband had a steak dish and it was excellent, too. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Great fine foof spot!FOODWINELOVERDined on 6/30/2014I have been to Volterra several times, both at the Ballard and the Kirkland locations. Very nice atmosphere, superb food, nice wine list and a fun place. Good for a business meeting (on a weeknight) as well as a romantic dinner or with a larger group. The food is superb - northern Italian, innovative, great choices.Special Features:
- Very EnjoyableginellaDined on 6/19/2014I took my friend for her birthday and we had a very nice dinner. Each of us had the wild boar and it was delicious. The sauce was perfect. We thought the food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatBrickroadDined on 6/5/2014This was our second visit and brought along our out of town visitor. Again great service and great food. Although I enjoyed the recommended pork cheeks I still prefer the spicy sausage pasta dish from the first visitSpecial Features: