228 North Market Street
Frederick, MD 21701Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://voltrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3016968658x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Lounge: Tuesday - Friday: 3:00 - close: Saturday - Sunday 11:30am - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Bryan Voltaggio
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining and meeting space is available in our Conservatory. The Conservatory seats between 6 - 12 persons. In the conservatory we offer audio | visual capabilities for presentations. In addition to our conservatory, we have the option of hosting your event in the Gallery.
The Gallery showcases a collection of local artists work and can accommodate events up to 32 persons. Please ask for Julie South, Events Coordinator.
- Private Party Contact: Julie South 3016968658x205
- Special Events: VOLT is available for private parties and our dedicated dining team is on hand to assist in planning your event. Everything from menu selection to wine pairings can be custom designed for a memorable occasion.
We offer a number of settings for your private event.
The Conservatory is available for parties of up to 12 guests.
Audio/visual capabilities are available in the conservatory.
Chef's Dining Room can be reserved for parties of up to 20 guests.
The lounge may be available for larger parties.
Audio/visual capabilities are available.
For a wedding reception, social affair or corporate event, we offer the possibility of exclusive use of the restaurant. We can accommodate up to 70 guests for a seated dinner and 175 guests for a cocktail reception and provide the full attention of our entire staff.
To discuss availability and pricing please contact Julie South at (301) 696-8658.
- Cross Street: Between 2nd and 3rd Street
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: We offer complimentary parking starting at 5:00PM. Our lot is located adjacent to the front entrance to VOLT, off Market Street. Off street parking is also available in the Church Street Deck - located at 17 E. Church Street. Directions to entrance on Church Street:
From Market Street, take a right onto Church Street, then immediate left into parking garage.
A word from VOLT
VOLT offers guests a menu of modern American cuisine. “The focus of our cuisine is based on classic flavor combinations, creating sophisticated dishes that emphasize purity and seasonal flavors that are based on fundamental and innovative cooking techniques.” said Voltaggio. VOLT’s relationship with local artisan farmers ensures availability of products to fulfill the philosophy behind the menu, in a refined, historic venue where classic meets modern. By design, the restaurant follows along the original footprint of the mansions first floor parlors. Both the 38 seat main dining room and the bar/lounge open off the foyer. The original mosaic tile in the foyer was the inspiration behind the warm monochromatic color pallet that adorns the finishes in VOLT. Private dining can be hosted in the conservatory offering views of the expansive courtyard. The 700 square foot kitchen afforded space to include up to 20 guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
VOLT reviews from OpenTable diners
327 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (275)fit for foodies (259)romantic (152)notable wine list (143)neighborhood gem (79)great for brunch (57)hot spot (45)good for groups (40)great for outdoor dining (26)great for lunch (18)scenic view (6)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- As fabulious as ever!cedarVIPDined on 9/27/2014We've been going to Volt for six years now. The food is as jaw-droppingly good as ever. For dinner, and I think brunch on weekends too, you get a choice between an a la carte or prix fixe menu. We went with the a la carte and loved everything. Highlights for us were the Smoked Beets with cured egg yolk & yellowfin tuna; Heirloom Tomato with sourdough & goat's milk ricotta; Lobster Raviolo with snap peas & espelette; Beef Short Rib with English cucumber, malt & salsify; Lobster on Carolina gold rice porridge, shaved fennel& hazelnut; and for dessert: Chocolate with sesame and caramel and lastly Peach with mascarpone, tarragon and smoked honey! Wow! A fabulous wine from the extensive and well-put-together wine list rounded out the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful evening at Volt.SepiatonedDined on 9/27/2014Dinner at Volt was exceptional. The service was well-timed, courteous, friendly, and sincere. I enjoyed the ambiance of the Main Dining room. The Tasting of Menu with the wine pairing was amazing, as foods that I prepare in my own kitchen were elevated to new and exquisitely flavorful heights. The Madeira wine to finish the meal was the best that I have ever tasted. They also read your notes and comments, as they remembered my wife's' birthday and mentioned it more than once during our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We had a great experience! I was worried about going too early, we choose the 530 seating but it ended up being great bc it was quiet and felt like we had the place to ourselves for about a whole hour! The service was impeccable. Food was so interesting!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 9/26/2014Table 21 is beyond amazing, if you go get the wine pairing. Best service and food I've ever had, unbelievable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- With ReservationsOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/25/2014Seated close to kitchen, too close to tables on either side. No feeling of any privacy. Somewhat noisy at first until dining area emptied. Six-course option too much food for us. Better if we could choose some options. Halibut, Waygu Beef, outstanding, as was service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too over the top for usOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/24/2014This was a special occasion for us, and VOLT did succeed with an excellent experience. We were, however, under whelmed a little and feel it deserves to be shared. We can't justify the multitude of steps taken for each plate of food to the cost. For instance, a $13 ravioli plate had 1 ravioli that was too al dente and hid the most important flavor of lobster. Perhaps if more dishes had less procedures involved, allowing a lower cost to the guest, more people would dine during the week and not just for "special occasions". We are obviously not "true foodies" because it didn't leave us with the desire to return.Special Features:
- Amazing top to bottomOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/23/2014The food is amazing, from beginning to end you will be impressed, every bite of food is an adventure and packed with flavor. The service though is at the least equally amazing, and perhaps even more impressive. It was the greatest food experience of my life, and honestly, for what we received, it was worth the cost.Special Features:
- Truly 5 StarmmmmmghDined on 9/21/2014I surprised my wife with reservations for our anniversary. The restaurant called earlier in the day and offered us seats at Table 21, but we were unable to make it there in time for the start. We both did the Tasting of Menu with the Wine pairing. The attention to detail, presentation, and flavors were truly the best I've ever had. The calamari pasta and the Char were our favorite dishes. All of the staff were extremely knowledgeable about the food and drinks that were being served. The price was expensive, but we knew that going in, and there were no surprises. Even though the plates were small, we were both stuffed by the time we left. We very much enjoyed the experience and would absolutely recommend it to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Culinary ExperienceLadyCagleDined on 9/21/2014My husband and I have eaten at notable restaurants around the world, and this one will go down as one of the best culinary experiences, and most certainly the best brunch experience! From the ease of the reservations, to the prompt seating, to the attention and enthusiasm of the servers, to the (best part) quality of the food—it was a true culinary experience. One for the books! They even acknowledged and helped us celebrate our wedding anniversary. They made it an extremely special and memorable day! And the take-home coffee cakes just extends the experience even further. Highly impressed—WILL be back for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/20/2014We were celebrating my wife's birthday with another couple and had a great night. I mentioned the birthday while making the reservation and mentioned preferred seating and they definitely delivered along with a free off menu dessert. We did the a la carte menu which was great since we all wanted to try different things but allowed us all to share. Corn smash, lobster raviollo, and beef were the stars. The wait staff was great and made us feel like we were home since they made sure everything was to our liking and we were able to share some laughs with them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and serviceanniversaryDined on 9/20/2014Overprice but excellent and exquisite quality of food and wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High End OccasionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/2014My fiance and I had been eye-ing Volt for some time, so made it a point to go on our 65th month-iversary. We were very excited by the presentation of the courses and were pleasantly surprised by the way the ingredients were treated. We are already planning to return for Table 21.Special Features:
- Anniversary Perfection!PattyDined on 9/17/2014We loved our first time at Volt and because we did we will make certain to come back again. The food was beautiful and delicious, our wait staff...especially Rachel...made our anniversary dinner date lovely. We loved everything!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greatest dining experience bar nunluvintodineoutDined on 9/17/2014Without a doubt, if you are looking for the greatest dining experience you have ever encountered. You must book table 21! Table 21 is a sampling of every dish creation for the evening, totaling 21 courses! It is a 3 hour, non stop food experience. Yes, it is expensive at $150.00 per person but it will be the greatest dining experience you have ever encountered. The explosions within your mouth will be unbelievable. I'm not one to spend big bucks, my Wife mentioned She wanted to trying it. I said what the heck, why not try the table 21 experience? You set in front of the Chef, he creates each entre directly in front of you. Want more from your dining experience? Get the wine sampling added, yep, $90.00, but it is awesome. ENJOY!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!DancingtastebudsDined on 9/14/2014Just about every one of our 13 dishes was spectacular--the kind that sends chills through your body the moment it hits your taste buds. Portions are larger than expected, so you really don't need 4-6 selections per person.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the WaithamburgerhelperDined on 9/14/2014My wife and I have been trying to get to Volt for 4 years now and we finally made it for Sunday brunch. This is truly a dining experience and we cannot wait to make a return for dinner. The atmosphere out on the patio was a perfect setting for an early fall brunch. The service was second to none and the food was top-notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary AwesomeMike1205Dined on 9/13/2014Took my wife here for our 2nd wedding anniversary. Food was exceptionally good, and the staff and service was amazing. Was a perfect night.Special Features:
- Volt's a Jolt123456VIPDined on 9/12/2014In my opinion this is still the best restaurant on the East Coast. Bryan is one of the most creative chefs working in America today. It is a long haul from Alexandria, Virginia to Frederick but I try and eat there four or five times a year and the quality of the food and service has only improved over the years.Special Features:
- A great night!!NumajoDined on 9/12/2014The perfect way to celebrate a special occasion. We had heard about Volt but still were surprised when we saw the menu so....we sat back, relaxed and let the wait staff take care of us. When you go you should know you will be there for the evening. The food was just wonderful and so was the evening!Special Features:
- Not worth , huge let downChuckFinelyDined on 9/12/2014My wife and I have wanted to cime here for 5 years. We have tried foods around the world. We made reservations, checked in on time and was told to wait at the bar. 25 minutes later, and everyone else already being seated we got a phone call from Volt asking if we forgot about our reservation. The same woman who checked us in and called us took another 5 minutes before seating us. Each course got progressively worse. The appetizers were great, however spending $15 for 1 crab ravioli that was the size of a 50 cent piece is crazy. Everything was 5 to 10 over priced. By time we got to the desert the pairings they threw together didn't make sense or tasted correct. It felt like they put a blindfold on and grabbed random foods to blend.Special Features:
- Incredible food experienceUltracsicVIPDined on 9/11/2014Celebrating an Anniversary, we decided to try their table 21 experience. What a good decision. This review could go on for pages trying to describe how special this experience was, but suffice it to say it was one of the finest dining events we've experienced. It was 21 courses with such attention to detail and fine food pairings. Try this for a special occasion. Even small plates that we would normally not eat, such as clam, oyster or foie gras were all delicious. Such treats as char, cucumber, trout roe, and concord grape and calamari bolognese were memorable. A truly remarkable dining experience. You can order wine or partake of their pairings.Special Features:
- Great Anniversary DateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014My wife and I celebrated our 3rd anniversary and really enjoyed the entire experience . Despite the small plates we were never waiting long for the next course and left full. The meal took about 2+ hours so plan on spending some quality time with this visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Experience!drewDined on 9/7/2014First time to Volt lived up to our high expectations. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great birthday mealTheBergerKingDined on 9/7/2014Outstanding service as per usual at Volt. Creative and surprisingly filling tasting menu. Expensive meal, but worth the splurge.Special Features:
- maybe an off night?acuattoDined on 9/7/2014Volt was a destination choice, as we fans of both Top Chef and Brian Voltaggios's brother Michael's restaurant Ink in LA. We crafted our own 5 course tasking menu, a great option. Highlights were beet salad, foie gras, char, wagyu beef, and lobster raviolo. Everything else was good, not memorable. Problem was service. Cocktails arrived long after the amuse bouche. The wine came after our first course, white was warm. We asked for it to be cooled; it disappeared into an ice bucket in another room. I had to ask our server for refills all evening. Leaving the bucket on the table was "against the rules." We heard the wine director was off that night, so we'd try it Volt again if in the area; it just felt like they were off their game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staff just rattled off descriptionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014I'm sort of a foodie and was slightly let down the staff just mumbled or went thru in a route fashion the different dishes. I'm sure it gets boring but I would have been more interested - honest. The food was excellent.Special Features:
- ExcellentBobFDined on 9/7/2014Every course contained gems and even the least popular items were still very good.Service was attentive without being suffocating and the waiter was personable,knowledgable and not pretentious.Plus,they accommodated gluten-free without missing a beat.Very expensive but worth it for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a special occasion!lovestoeatDined on 9/6/2014Very excellent service and really creative, fresh menu with delicious tastes. We had the tasting menu and it was great! Really also appreciated the off street parking lot!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food and serviceRestondinerVIPDined on 9/6/2014It was a special occasion - my wife's birthday - and our second time at Volt. First time we went with chef's menu (and it was very good), but this time decided to create our own "tasting" menu from a-la-carte offerings and it was great. The selections offered give everyone a range of things to try, the taste and texture are wonderful and the staff is knowledgeable and helpful, even rearranging the order of dishes being served to underscore the flavors and not to overwhelm the palate. All in all, Volt is one of the truly special places, well worth the drive to Frederick (it is an hour away from Reston even on the weekend).Special Features:
- Keep going back for food & ambiencecathy76Dined on 9/6/2014My husband and I loved the calamari bolognese. I thought the lamb braised flank, fava bean, meyer lemon, toasted yogurt was amazing. We love going to Volt for their relaxed atmosphere and excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experiencekeyboardsDined on 9/6/2014I had a Saturday lunch at Volt. My menu choice was the tasting menu with wine pairing. I was seated in a lovely room with interesting art and a great view out the front window. I was indeed impressed. The quality of the service, food, and wine was what I might've expected in the evening. The service was at the level some of the NYC restaurants with Michelin stars I've dined in. My primary server was quite attentive and pro-active and indulged my foodie idiosyncracies including getting me a copy of that days menu with the wine pairings indicated. All of the other staff were quite effective and helpful as well. I highly recommend Volt to those looking for great food, great service and a lovely ambiance.Special Features:
- Simply the best!GreatDined on 9/5/2014My wife is a picky eater and Chef Voltaggio went out of his way to accommodate her! Just outstanding from the food to the service to the management!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our best meals everGrabby20Dined on 9/5/2014Tasting menu was stellar. Flavorful, yet filling, bites. Wine pairing enhanced the experience. Sit in the chef's kitchen to see the attention to detail. Serving staff was attentive, friendly. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Had a great time. 21 course meal with my wife. Just outstanding. Also got to meet the great Chef Brian Voltaggio. I wouldnt do the 21 course meal agian, a little pricey, but going there for dinner agian i would definately do. Thanks again for the wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Amazing food and serviceIvorygirlVIPDined on 9/5/2014We made reservations for Volt for my birthday and upon confirmation, they asked if we wanted to sit at the Chef's Table 21 for the occasion. So happy that we did Table 21 as a huge birthday treat. This was our first time to the restaurant and the food was beyond delicious. The entire experience was just grand. It was wonderful just being catered to with descriptions of what we were about to enjoy in also a relaxed and fun setting by being able to watch the kitchen work and prepare these gems. Each little bite was beyond delicious, unique and wonderful. My husband enjoyed the wine pairings for the evening. We left full, happy, and ruined because we can't enjoy regular food anymore!Special Features:
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/4/2014Some dishes were amazing but some were way too salty Wine was greatSpecial Features:
- VoltClarafromWVDined on 9/3/2014This is fine dining at its "finest"! Food was prepared to perfection although, portions were a bit much for the six course chef's dinner - need to pace yourself. Service was perfect.Special Features:
- Terrific Anniversary DinnerblaqbernDined on 8/31/2014My wife and I ate here for our first wedding anniversary. We don't eat at this type of place often, but there were plenty of not-too-stuffy touches--all the servers wearing brown chuck taylors, savory rice krispy treat as a starter, jovial waitstaff--to make this a relaxed environment. Don't get me wrong, this is a pretty fancy place, but it doesn't take itself super seriously like some restaurants of this caliber might. The food was terrific. We had the tasting menu with the wine paring, and I have to say, it was a lot of food and a fair bit of wine. We ate lunch a little too late, and had to take some things home. It was pretty pricey, but we didn't feel any buyer's remorse. For a very special occasion, it was just a perfect choice.Special Features:
- ImpressivePalleDined on 8/31/2014The ambience is plain, however that is not why we go to a restaurant. The food, the presentation, the service were outstanding. The cold food is chilled to perfection, the hot food is perfectly tempered. The cheese plate with the three-course brunch was exceptional, totally impressive in the marriage of the flavors. All of the courses we had were excellent. Definitely a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!finallyskinnyDined on 8/31/2014Husband took me there for a birthday brunch. I have some dietary restrictions and the staff handled all of them with ease as everything is made to order. We did the wine paring for each of the courses; all excellent choices. Will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.