228 North Market Street
Frederick, MD 21701Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://voltrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3016968658x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Lounge: Tuesday - Friday: 3:00 - close: Saturday - Sunday 11:30am - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Bryan Voltaggio
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining and meeting space is available in our Conservatory. The Conservatory seats between 6 - 12 persons. In the conservatory we offer audio | visual capabilities for presentations. In addition to our conservatory, we have the option of hosting your event in the Gallery.
The Gallery showcases a collection of local artists work and can accommodate events up to 32 persons. Please ask for Julie South, Events Coordinator.
- Private Party Contact: Julie South 3016968658x205
- Special Events: VOLT is available for private parties and our dedicated dining team is on hand to assist in planning your event. Everything from menu selection to wine pairings can be custom designed for a memorable occasion.
We offer a number of settings for your private event.
The Conservatory is available for parties of up to 12 guests.
Audio/visual capabilities are available in the conservatory.
Chef's Dining Room can be reserved for parties of up to 20 guests.
The lounge may be available for larger parties.
Audio/visual capabilities are available.
For a wedding reception, social affair or corporate event, we offer the possibility of exclusive use of the restaurant. We can accommodate up to 70 guests for a seated dinner and 175 guests for a cocktail reception and provide the full attention of our entire staff.
To discuss availability and pricing please contact Julie South at (301) 696-8658.
- Cross Street: Between 2nd and 3rd Street
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: We offer complimentary parking starting at 5:00PM. Our lot is located adjacent to the front entrance to VOLT, off Market Street. Off street parking is also available in the Church Street Deck - located at 17 E. Church Street. Directions to entrance on Church Street:
From Market Street, take a right onto Church Street, then immediate left into parking garage.
A word from VOLT
VOLT offers guests a menu of modern American cuisine. “The focus of our cuisine is based on classic flavor combinations, creating sophisticated dishes that emphasize purity and seasonal flavors that are based on fundamental and innovative cooking techniques.” said Voltaggio. VOLT’s relationship with local artisan farmers ensures availability of products to fulfill the philosophy behind the menu, in a refined, historic venue where classic meets modern. By design, the restaurant follows along the original footprint of the mansions first floor parlors. Both the 38 seat main dining room and the bar/lounge open off the foyer. The original mosaic tile in the foyer was the inspiration behind the warm monochromatic color pallet that adorns the finishes in VOLT. Private dining can be hosted in the conservatory offering views of the expansive courtyard. The 700 square foot kitchen afforded space to include up to 20 guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
VOLT reviews from OpenTable diners
337 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (283)fit for foodies (263)romantic (161)notable wine list (139)neighborhood gem (77)great for brunch (63)hot spot (44)good for groups (37)great for outdoor dining (25)great for lunch (19)scenic view (7)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Just about every one of our 13 dishes was spectacular--the kind that sends chills through your body the moment it hits your taste buds. Portions are larger than expected, so you really don't need 4-6 selections per person.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014Took my wife here for our 2nd wedding anniversary. Food was exceptionally good, and the staff and service was amazing. Was a perfect night.Special Features:
- Volt's a Jolt123456VIPDined on 9/12/2014In my opinion this is still the best restaurant on the East Coast. Bryan is one of the most creative chefs working in America today. It is a long haul from Alexandria, Virginia to Frederick but I try and eat there four or five times a year and the quality of the food and service has only improved over the years.Special Features:
- Not worth , huge let downChuckFinelyDined on 9/12/2014My wife and I have wanted to cime here for 5 years. We have tried foods around the world. We made reservations, checked in on time and was told to wait at the bar. 25 minutes later, and everyone else already being seated we got a phone call from Volt asking if we forgot about our reservation. The same woman who checked us in and called us took another 5 minutes before seating us. Each course got progressively worse. The appetizers were great, however spending $15 for 1 crab ravioli that was the size of a 50 cent piece is crazy. Everything was 5 to 10 over priced. By time we got to the desert the pairings they threw together didn't make sense or tasted correct. It felt like they put a blindfold on and grabbed random foods to blend.Special Features:
- Incredible food experienceUltracsicVIPDined on 9/11/2014Celebrating an Anniversary, we decided to try their table 21 experience. What a good decision. This review could go on for pages trying to describe how special this experience was, but suffice it to say it was one of the finest dining events we've experienced. It was 21 courses with such attention to detail and fine food pairings. Try this for a special occasion. Even small plates that we would normally not eat, such as clam, oyster or foie gras were all delicious. Such treats as char, cucumber, trout roe, and concord grape and calamari bolognese were memorable. A truly remarkable dining experience. You can order wine or partake of their pairings.Special Features:
- Great Anniversary DateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014My wife and I celebrated our 3rd anniversary and really enjoyed the entire experience . Despite the small plates we were never waiting long for the next course and left full. The meal took about 2+ hours so plan on spending some quality time with this visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Experience!drewDined on 9/7/2014First time to Volt lived up to our high expectations. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great birthday mealTheBergerKingDined on 9/7/2014Outstanding service as per usual at Volt. Creative and surprisingly filling tasting menu. Expensive meal, but worth the splurge.Special Features:
- maybe an off night?acuattoDined on 9/7/2014Volt was a destination choice, as we fans of both Top Chef and Brian Voltaggios's brother Michael's restaurant Ink in LA. We crafted our own 5 course tasking menu, a great option. Highlights were beet salad, foie gras, char, wagyu beef, and lobster raviolo. Everything else was good, not memorable. Problem was service. Cocktails arrived long after the amuse bouche. The wine came after our first course, white was warm. We asked for it to be cooled; it disappeared into an ice bucket in another room. I had to ask our server for refills all evening. Leaving the bucket on the table was "against the rules." We heard the wine director was off that night, so we'd try it Volt again if in the area; it just felt like they were off their game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staff just rattled off descriptionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014I'm sort of a foodie and was slightly let down the staff just mumbled or went thru in a route fashion the different dishes. I'm sure it gets boring but I would have been more interested - honest. The food was excellent.Special Features:
- ExcellentBobFDined on 9/7/2014Every course contained gems and even the least popular items were still very good.Service was attentive without being suffocating and the waiter was personable,knowledgable and not pretentious.Plus,they accommodated gluten-free without missing a beat.Very expensive but worth it for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a special occasion!lovestoeatDined on 9/6/2014Very excellent service and really creative, fresh menu with delicious tastes. We had the tasting menu and it was great! Really also appreciated the off street parking lot!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food and serviceRestondinerVIPDined on 9/6/2014It was a special occasion - my wife's birthday - and our second time at Volt. First time we went with chef's menu (and it was very good), but this time decided to create our own "tasting" menu from a-la-carte offerings and it was great. The selections offered give everyone a range of things to try, the taste and texture are wonderful and the staff is knowledgeable and helpful, even rearranging the order of dishes being served to underscore the flavors and not to overwhelm the palate. All in all, Volt is one of the truly special places, well worth the drive to Frederick (it is an hour away from Reston even on the weekend).Special Features:
- Keep going back for food & ambiencecathy76Dined on 9/6/2014My husband and I loved the calamari bolognese. I thought the lamb braised flank, fava bean, meyer lemon, toasted yogurt was amazing. We love going to Volt for their relaxed atmosphere and excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experiencekeyboardsDined on 9/6/2014I had a Saturday lunch at Volt. My menu choice was the tasting menu with wine pairing. I was seated in a lovely room with interesting art and a great view out the front window. I was indeed impressed. The quality of the service, food, and wine was what I might've expected in the evening. The service was at the level some of the NYC restaurants with Michelin stars I've dined in. My primary server was quite attentive and pro-active and indulged my foodie idiosyncracies including getting me a copy of that days menu with the wine pairings indicated. All of the other staff were quite effective and helpful as well. I highly recommend Volt to those looking for great food, great service and a lovely ambiance.Special Features:
- Simply the best!GreatDined on 9/5/2014My wife is a picky eater and Chef Voltaggio went out of his way to accommodate her! Just outstanding from the food to the service to the management!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our best meals everGrabby20Dined on 9/5/2014Tasting menu was stellar. Flavorful, yet filling, bites. Wine pairing enhanced the experience. Sit in the chef's kitchen to see the attention to detail. Serving staff was attentive, friendly. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Had a great time. 21 course meal with my wife. Just outstanding. Also got to meet the great Chef Brian Voltaggio. I wouldnt do the 21 course meal agian, a little pricey, but going there for dinner agian i would definately do. Thanks again for the wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Amazing food and serviceIvorygirlVIPDined on 9/5/2014We made reservations for Volt for my birthday and upon confirmation, they asked if we wanted to sit at the Chef's Table 21 for the occasion. So happy that we did Table 21 as a huge birthday treat. This was our first time to the restaurant and the food was beyond delicious. The entire experience was just grand. It was wonderful just being catered to with descriptions of what we were about to enjoy in also a relaxed and fun setting by being able to watch the kitchen work and prepare these gems. Each little bite was beyond delicious, unique and wonderful. My husband enjoyed the wine pairings for the evening. We left full, happy, and ruined because we can't enjoy regular food anymore!Special Features:
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/4/2014Some dishes were amazing but some were way too salty Wine was greatSpecial Features:
- VoltClarafromWVDined on 9/3/2014This is fine dining at its "finest"! Food was prepared to perfection although, portions were a bit much for the six course chef's dinner - need to pace yourself. Service was perfect.Special Features:
- Terrific Anniversary DinnerblaqbernDined on 8/31/2014My wife and I ate here for our first wedding anniversary. We don't eat at this type of place often, but there were plenty of not-too-stuffy touches--all the servers wearing brown chuck taylors, savory rice krispy treat as a starter, jovial waitstaff--to make this a relaxed environment. Don't get me wrong, this is a pretty fancy place, but it doesn't take itself super seriously like some restaurants of this caliber might. The food was terrific. We had the tasting menu with the wine paring, and I have to say, it was a lot of food and a fair bit of wine. We ate lunch a little too late, and had to take some things home. It was pretty pricey, but we didn't feel any buyer's remorse. For a very special occasion, it was just a perfect choice.Special Features:
- ImpressivePalleDined on 8/31/2014The ambience is plain, however that is not why we go to a restaurant. The food, the presentation, the service were outstanding. The cold food is chilled to perfection, the hot food is perfectly tempered. The cheese plate with the three-course brunch was exceptional, totally impressive in the marriage of the flavors. All of the courses we had were excellent. Definitely a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Husband took me there for a birthday brunch. I have some dietary restrictions and the staff handled all of them with ease as everything is made to order. We did the wine paring for each of the courses; all excellent choices. Will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulRedSox2004Dined on 8/30/2014My sister was in town and had heard about Bryan and asked to go here for dinner. We did one of the Special Menus and it was absolutely phenomenal! The food was artfully presented and the descriptions by the servers was spot on. We also loved how they focused on using as many local ingredients as possible...a big plus for the both of us. It was a memorable night and the bonus was we got to watch the action in the kitchen. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestDinaTheDinerDined on 8/30/2014Amazing awesome innovative food. Perfectly prepared. Impeccable service. Fun ambience. The chefs kitchen room where we ate was full of people but we could easily hear each other. Very expensive but it was a special occasion and was exactly what we were wishing it would be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for special occasionsluv2trynewthingsDined on 8/30/2014As the other reviewers have mentioned, you get what you pay for. The food is excellent. We ordered from the tasting menu and did the wine pairing. Each dish was exquisitely prepared and full of subtle flavors. The wine pairings were perfectly chosen.Special Features:
- Simply amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/30/2014If you're in the DC area, make the time to eat at VOLT. The service is impeccable, and the food is truly outstanding!!Special Features:
- Great for special occasionAmberandStripeDined on 8/30/2014Absolutely fantastic restaurant. Go with the tasting menu and the wine pairing, you will not be disappointed. This is a foodie paradise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- O-VER THE TOP A-MA-ZING!!TANYAVIPDined on 8/29/2014I had heard that this place was the hot ticket in Frederick, but my knowledge in no way prepared me for the dining experience I was about to have. I've lived in New York City and dined at some very nice places -- VOLT could compete with ANY of them (and probably blow some away!) The service was spotless, the cuisine artistic and incredibly flavorful. The staff is infinitely informed and patient, and will explain each dish to full satisfaction. Be sure to try the foie gras terrine (cold) and wrap up with the chef's version of peach cobbler. You'll be so fascinated with the presentation of the dishes, you have to make yourself remember that you need to savor the food on the plate. This is an art gallery experience tha tastes AMAZING!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent MealDnDnDDined on 8/29/2014My wife and I genuinely enjoyed our dining experience at Volt. We did the pre fix menu - which included delicious food and wine pairings. The service and ambiance were fantastic. The course timing was excellent and the staff was very approachable and knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special occasionsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014Memorable dining experience. Food was excellent, as well as service and ambiance. Will def come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Probably the best meal of my lifeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014Every bite was an event. Trying to describe it in words would be stupid, it was that good. Beyond that, the service was absolutely perfect in every way, I give it a 10/10.Special Features:
- 30th anniversaryLisaGDined on 8/24/2014We celebrated our 30th anniversary at Volt and it was perfect in every way! The food was stupendous as was service! Frank was our waiter and helped to make our evening better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expectations surpassedGlad2BDined on 8/24/2014The experience at VOLT - food, ambience, service - exceeded my expectations. I've wanted to dine here since I saw Bryan Voltaggio on Top Chef. I finally did. I enjoyed every moment. The food was divine. The service was exquisite- professional yet engaging and knowledgeable. I dined alone but was never made to feel awkward. I will return with or without friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceOwingsmillsfoodieDined on 8/23/2014If you love experiencing different flavors with wine pairing, you have to dine with Bryan Voltaggio and team. Every detail was perfect. From the tableware to the service, and of course the food was the highlight. The coffee cake to go was such a lovely touch! The price is really up there, but worth every dollar!Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our first time at Volt. We wanted a special place for our anniversary and Volt certainly came through. The food was superb and the service was quite unbelievable. We have never had so many people waiting on us. The only downside is the cost. I am sure it rivals DC and New York in quality, but it is certainly the most expensive meal we have ever had. As wonderful as it was, dinner at Volt will have to be relegated to a once a year event. We would like to try the Sunday brunch which friends have told us is terrific....and a far more economical way to enjoy Volt's delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sykesville101Dined on 8/23/2014Energetic and attentive staff. Not many restaurants can offer such a wide range of taste & flavor experiences for your taste buds! Outstanding night out, celebrated my oldest daughter's birthday in style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three for brunch3dinnersDined on 8/23/2014I took my friend to the Volt for her retirement. The three of us had never been there but had heard a lot about how great it was. We were not disappointed. Food and service were impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Table 21TAPMDVIPDined on 8/22/2014Table 21 gives you an up close and personal experience with your chefs. You see every tweezed micro-green painstakingly placed. This kitchen operates with quiet skill and precision and turns out amazingly innovative, beautiful and intensely flavorful food. 21 small plates paired with complimenting wines was an incredible experience I would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.