228 North Market Street
Frederick, MD 21701Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://voltrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (301) 696-8658
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Lounge: Tuesday - Friday: 3:00 - close: Saturday - Sunday 11:30am - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Bryan Voltaggio
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining and meeting space is available in our Conservatory. The Conservatory seats between 6 - 12 persons. In the conservatory we offer audio | visual capabilities for presentations. In addition to our conservatory, we have the option of hosting your event in the Gallery.
The Gallery showcases a collection of local artists work and can accommodate events up to 32 persons. Please ask for Julie South, Events Coordinator.
- Private Party Contact: Julie South 3016968658x205
- Special Events: VOLT is available for private parties and our dedicated dining team is on hand to assist in planning your event. Everything from menu selection to wine pairings can be custom designed for a memorable occasion.
We offer a number of settings for your private event.
The Conservatory is available for parties of up to 12 guests.
Audio/visual capabilities are available in the conservatory.
Chef's Dining Room can be reserved for parties of up to 20 guests.
The lounge may be available for larger parties.
Audio/visual capabilities are available.
For a wedding reception, social affair or corporate event, we offer the possibility of exclusive use of the restaurant. We can accommodate up to 70 guests for a seated dinner and 175 guests for a cocktail reception and provide the full attention of our entire staff.
To discuss availability and pricing please contact Julie South at (301) 696-8658.
- Cross Street: Between 2nd and 3rd Street
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: We offer complimentary parking starting at 5:00PM. Our lot is located adjacent to the front entrance to VOLT, off Market Street. Off street parking is also available in the Church Street Deck - located at 17 E. Church Street. Directions to entrance on Church Street:
From Market Street, take a right onto Church Street, then immediate left into parking garage.
A word from VOLT
VOLT offers guests a menu of modern American cuisine. “The focus of our cuisine is based on classic flavor combinations, creating sophisticated dishes that emphasize purity and seasonal flavors that are based on fundamental and innovative cooking techniques.” said Voltaggio. VOLT’s relationship with local artisan farmers ensures availability of products to fulfill the philosophy behind the menu, in a refined, historic venue where classic meets modern. By design, the restaurant follows along the original footprint of the mansions first floor parlors. Both the 38 seat main dining room and the bar/lounge open off the foyer. The original mosaic tile in the foyer was the inspiration behind the warm monochromatic color pallet that adorns the finishes in VOLT. Private dining can be hosted in the conservatory offering views of the expansive courtyard. The 700 square foot kitchen afforded space to include up to 20 guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
VOLT reviews from OpenTable diners
286 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (231)special occasion (231)notable wine list (128)romantic (121)neighborhood gem (75)hot spot (46)great for brunch (40)good for groups (33)great for outdoor dining (15)great for lunch (9)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- rough Seas at VoltAnneDined on 11/25/2014Although the staff was obviously well trained and attentive, our food was uneven. The kitchen sent out bread sticks which were pretentious (dusted with fennel pollen!) and tasteless. Next was a tiny strawberry sweet/savory, compliments of the kitchen, which should have stayed in the kitchen. My partner had a spicy mushroom first course while I had the beet and tuna salad. The beets were roasted within an inch of their lives and rubbery. From here on out, the meal took an upturn. First, I need to address the bread basket. It was outstandingly good. The buttermilk and cheddar biscuits were some of the best I've ever tasted. Bravo to the baker! More biscuits and less bread sticks, please! I thoroughly enjoyed my venison- it was perfectly cooked and nicely porportioned. The spice was overpowering in my partner's sweetbreads and he was disappointed. We decided to forego dessert since overall we felt disappointed by our dining experience. But our waiter brought us, compliments of the house, an absolutely luscious passion fruit and coconut creation that soothed our ruffled feathers. We shook our heads that maybe this place wasn't as disappointing after all. On top of that, a small plate of mouth watering confections landed on our table absolutely tickling us with their perfection! As one final goodwill gesture, our waiter brought us each a beautifully wrapped loaf of sweet breakfast bread. What an unexpected and pleasant gift. Our dining experience at Volt resembled being on a small boat in heavy seas. There were highs and lown and mainly I was glad the experience was over.Special Features:
- Incredible and consistent!cedarVIPDined on 11/23/2014To think that food this incredible can be combined with service this seamlessly professional and be consistent from day to day and week to week and month to month - just WOW! I will eat ANYTHING this kitchen serves. If rocks were on the menu, I would order them and be shocked at how good they were.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014Your review Not vegan friendly. The cook made an effort to accommodate me, but both appetizer and main were so tiny that eating bread was the only option left.must be at least 50 characters.Special Features:
- third time and meeting all expectations!RestondinerVIPDined on 11/23/2014Frederick is a bit of a hike for us (from Reston), but VOLT is definitely worth the drive. It was our third time here and it again did not disappoint. Everything was just a wonderful as during previous visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Menu and ServiceDinerShoreDined on 11/22/2014We started with great cocktails and ended two 1/2 hours later with a sumptuous dessert. The enjoyed the 6 course meal with the wine pairing and especially enjoyed the pace of the meal.. we never felt rushed and had time to savor our food. Each course was a work of art in itself and the portion sizes were perfect, leaving us full but not too full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing and very inventive!KimSVIPDined on 11/21/2014VOLT was an incredible experience. It is definitely a special occasion type of evening, and you will get a very inventive meal full of depth with each course. Each course is beautifully plated and the flavors are quite strong. It was a lot of fun to go through the tasting menus and see which course was arriving next. We definitely tried new ingredients and were impressed, albeit sometimes felt it was a bit too creative. Finally, the servers were very knowledgeable about each course and very helpful throughout the meal. We were given new silverware in-between each course, showing that the staff and the chef truly cared about our experience there. We would definitely recommend that others go back, and we look forward to trying future seasonal variations of the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food caliber not worth the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014The young waitstaff are clearly trained well, and did help guide our menu selections. My wife and I didn’t find the food caliber worth the very high price. We have been to many restaurants around the world were the quality was equal or better for two-thirds the cost. The combination of flavors really seemed odd, however we imagined that after reading all the reviews they must have something we couldn’t see. We were wrong. The entrees were mostly disappointing. I would offer however, if you feel it is worth the cost to try, please do.
- OMG - Best Place in all of MarylandbikerbenDined on 11/16/2014Service staff is knowledgeable and friendly. Special requests were handled beautifully. Food is all designed to go together. Outstanding quality and taste. Portions are just right - not too little, not too much. The taste and delicacy and presentation of these dishes is world class.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was "fine"TowsondinersVIPDined on 11/15/2014We really wanted to eat here because it was famous. Our drive was over an hour away, and honestly I don't think Volt was good enough, for the price, for us come back this distance. The servers had to keep leaning over me to reach my husband. That was annoying.Special Features:
- Delicious!kshoeDined on 11/15/2014I expected it to be amazing and it surpassed my expectations. The servers were friendly and informative, detailing every ingredient in each dish as it came to the table. The food is AMAZING - the flavors are unexpected and the combinations are playful. We came here to celebrate my mother's birthday and I was a bit worried because she has a particular palate, but she enjoyed every plate. The ambiance is generally quieter and intimate and it seemed like everyone else was also celebrating special occasions. It's expensive, but worth it for a special treat or occasion. The service is deliberate and precise, so plan for it to be a dining experience and not something to rush through.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Dining TreatSandygardenerDined on 11/15/2014The food and service at the Volt is always outstanding. The servers are quick to answer questions and explain the menu. The brunch menu is not as enjoyable as past lunch selections. I can't imagine going to the Volt and ordering eggs or French toast, for example. That, then, limits the choices. Although the beet appetizer was delectable. The lamb dish was very tasty although the eggplant and tahini were barely visible. We enjoyed the chocolate sesame crisp dessert, and the special coconut ice cream brought out for the birthday treat. I wish the Volt would bring back the week-day lunch hours as it is not always convenient to travel to Frederick during the week-end or evenings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticDowntownJonVIPDined on 11/11/2014We hadn't eaten in the dining room (due to the menu) for quite some time - preferring the kitchen or Table 21 instead. A year or so ago Volt changed up the dining room menu. It now offers a tasting menu with an A la Cart menu - almost a mini-Table 21 format. This was our first trip back to the Dining Room and we were very pleasantly surprised. We love the new format. The food was spectacular as expected - regardless of the dining room option. We're looking forward to our next meal at Volt!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing service!!MumbaifoodieDined on 11/11/2014My wife and I received impeccable service and kindness from the staff. The food was amazing and we enjoyed exploring the chef's creations through the tasting menu. We were celebrating our anniversary and my wife's birthday and we had our toddler twins with us (no babysitter). The manager saw us struggling with them and asked us if we would like to eat in their available private room. We were so thankful to Bolt for accommodating us and our needs. They were so nice to us and especially our children. We will always remember this experience and plan to return for another great dining experience (without the kids of course!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent MealHilllgVIPDined on 11/9/2014As always a great experience. Food was unique and pleasing.Special Features:
- Almost fabulousanonymousDined on 11/9/2014We went for brunch, which we do about twice a year. Seemed to me that the choices on the $35 menu were not as great as usual, espec. for desserts. At any rate, what we ordered was very good until dessert time. I have a sweet tooth and was not at thrilled with dessert choices. I got the chocolate, which had minimal description. I didn't ask about it because I assumed it would be milk or dark. Yikes --It was mostly white panna cotta, quite a nasty surprise for me, so I sent it back and got "toasted yogurt parfait," which was meh. On the other hand, they did provide our group of 4 with little popsicles because it was my birthday, and that was a nice positive surprise. And the bread basket was as fabulous as always.Special Features:
- not worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/8/2014We were totally underwhelmed by the food. We had no idea that everything was "small plates" as we had looked at the menu prior to coming. We did go with tasting menu and wine pairings. The wine pours and accompanying food rarely came at the same time. Proseco was poured and then a 20 minute wait for the food with which it was to pair arrived--not a lot of bubbles left. Service was spotty and rushed despite the fact that at least 2-3 servers delivered our dishes. Nothing that was supposed to be hot was actually hot--lukewarm at best. Too much emphasis on butternut squash--repetitive and unimaginative. We came based on food critics' reviews for years--we do not need to return. Problem with trying to phone before visit.
- Disappointed!NancyDined on 11/8/2014After wanting to eat at Volt for years, I finally had brunch there last Saturday for my birthday with my husband and daughter. While the service was great, our food was not. None of us liked some of our food, e.g. the carrot first course had nothing to do with carrots except that it was orange; and I was not expecting pasta. My lamb second course was good, but my daughter's omelet had very little flavor. The chocolate dessert was okay, but not outstanding. My husband's "parfait" was just a bowl of Greek yogurt with some granola and a little fruit on top. We will not go back. I recommend that people who want to go to Volt drive 40 minutes north and go to Sidney Willoughby Run just west of Gettysburg. Their food IS outstanding!!Special Features:
- A Gem in DT Frederick!fishcakeDined on 11/7/2014Frederick in recent years has greatly expanded its fine dinning credentials, mostly in part due to Volt. Volt does not disappoint the adventurous pallet! The food may be hard to perceive upon menu description and first glance, however, your taste buds will have no problem discerning the complex flavors that blend in your mouth to make perfect bites. The service is professional and discreet, always waiting in the wings for the perfect time to interject, never intrusive. The staff is very helpful and does not balk at any question or request. I highly recommend Volt to those looking to make a special occasion unforgettable and a boring evening (if you can get a table) special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional DinnerMogarrenDined on 11/7/2014What a wonderful treat! The food was delicious, the service was outstanding. A great overall experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingasripinyoDined on 11/5/2014After wanting to come here for years, it was certainly worth the wait. The food... the service... the experience! First class all the way. Already planning our next trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun2racewatchDined on 11/5/2014This was our 6th visit to Volt and the service was different in the way of not having a regular server which lost the personal aspect we've experienced before. The music coming from the bar was very loud Wednesday night. We had ever noticed that before. The food was beautifully plated ,as always, and different. We love not being rushed through our meal, the paring and the expertise of the servers. It's wonderful to have an upper scale Resturant in downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/4/2014Service was outstanding. Very friendly and knowledgeable staff. Food was excellent and quite well presented. Staff explained each dish as it came out and if you asked them to repeat some information they were very happy to go over their presentation again. Waiter was very helpful in matching a glass of wine to go with the dinner portion as we did not want to have wine with each course. We choose ala carte as we did not like some of the choices on the tasting menus. Great place to go for a special occasionSpecial Features:
- great service, interesting foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014bread and desserts were excellent, as was the service. menu items are small but very complex and rich - we felt full after sharing 4 small tasting items. Chef is definitely experimenting a lot which leads to some very good combinations (the fish, a breaded mushroom dish with asian elements) but others that are a little bland and heavy (like the lamb). Most dishes I would call quite good but not so amazing that I'm clamoring to go back. Definitely worth going at least once, though.
- Spectacular! Well worth the trip.MargaretDined on 11/1/2014I enjoyed brunch at VOLT; every aspect of our experience was outstanding. The service is impeccable start to finish. The wait staff did a great job answering questions about the menu at the outset and during our meal; all of our needs were attended to in a non-intrusive, subtle manner. The brunch menu offers a range of inventive dishes that highlight the natural flavors of the foods. The mustard greens soup with fresh mussels is one example; another is the squid ink pasta in a bolognese sauce with calamari as the base and pepperoni added as an accent before serving. The coconut jasmine rice sorbet with finger lime and pear sauce was superb. My meal here was among the best I've had, including in Europe, Japan, NYC and the Pacific Coast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Food and AtmosphereABMSDined on 10/31/2014Absolutely wonderful dining experience. The ONLY critique I really have is that I felt constantly interrupted by the waitstaff, I appreciate attentiveness, but it's hard to have a quiet dinner with the consistent interruptions. Perhaps that's part of the experience, but it was the only drawback. The little extras were a nice touch, really a beautiful dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/29/2014I have been to Volt annually for the past four years. In prior years the atmosphere was always elegant, soothing background music, low noise level. Unfortunately on our most recent visit this was not the case. At the time we were dining there was a very large beer tasting and pairing being held in the tasting room, bar, and reserved dining areas. The loud energetic music and noise created from this event detracted from the overall experience. Unfortunately we did not learn of this other even until a few days prior to our reservation and we thought perhaps it would not interfere. We were wrong. While the service and food were very good, the atmosphere was not. I would not recommend dining when another event is being held.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014very good Service was a little formal, very good, but I prefer a smile and joke to very formal But good experience anyway, thanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AJinDCVIPDined on 10/26/2014This was my second visit to Volt but my first for the three-course brunch. I often dine alone, and Volt is one place that I feel I can do so without feeling awkward despite its ambiance being more suited for couples or groups of friends. Perhaps it was because of the attentive servers. All the dishes I tried (Beets, Lamb and Coconut) were great both in terms of taste and presentation. While my first course (Appetizer) appeared small, the second and third courses made the whole meal just about right. I also liked the bread. The drink list offers a good variety of cocktails, wine, etc. In short, it's a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- must have been an off nightcarguyDined on 10/25/2014We did not enjoy our experience . It took 4.5 hours to eat . The dishes while exotic , were not well executed and were served out of order . The wine parings were suspect as well . Some were excellent while others were not appropriate . The wait staff were well trained and attentive . At these prices , a high end restaurant cannot afford an off night .Special Features:
- Over the top Awesome100dlrhamburgerDined on 10/23/2014Table 21 was an experience to behold! Special night, special dining experience for a special anniversary.Special Features:
- A really delightful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/23/2014The service was quite good, everyone was very knowledgeable and friendly without hovering. The courses and their presentations were a true fine dining experience. I'd absolutely recommend Volt.Special Features:
- Table 21 - Absolutely Fabulous!!!!!dinerDined on 10/22/2014We went to Volt for our wedding anniversary midweek and splurged for Table 21 with wine parings. I have to say that from the time we were greeted until we left, it was absolutely wonderful. The food was just incredible and was superbly enhanced by the wine selected for the various courses. We were the only ones to take advantage of Table 21 that evening, so it made for a unique and intimate foodie feast!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So DisappointingYumYumEaterDined on 10/21/2014I have wanted to go to this restaurant for years, and finally made the hour+ trip up. The pop music playing was a little weird, but the staff was very attentive. The food was very disappointing. We started with a beet salad which was delicous and unexpected. The calamari bolognese and the lobster ravioli were extremely salty and the lobster pasta was undercooked. The wagu beef was decent, but the lamb dish was one soggy muddled note that was uninspired and under-seasoned. This meal made me sad.
- Overall AmazingAspiringFoodieDined on 10/21/2014This was an amazing experience and there was not one second that was not exciting and delicious! I would love to go again and will for sure make another reservation for another special occassion!Special Features:
- It's beyond fine diningJackieFDined on 10/19/2014I am not a foodie, but I thought good food involved fresh, locally sourced ingredients and taste. At Volt, I explored the mind blowing concept of texture.Special Features:
- I Ate My BeetsBeetingMyFearsDined on 10/19/2014Who knew I would get a dish whose primary component was beets and I would love it? As a devout beet-despiser, I was skeptical about ordering the 5-course tasting menu for brunch since beets were prominent in the 1st course. But why come to a dining experience such as VOLT and be afraid to dabble in the unknown? So I faced my fears and fell in love with beets - at least the smoked beets with tuna, tonnato, and cured egg yolks. This is my second trip to VOLT and it will not be my last. There are so many more culinary adventures waiting for me there.Special Features:
- great!GuillaumeVIPDined on 10/19/2014The new menu for the fall is excellent and thank you for keeping the calamary bolognese !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/18/2014My husband and I went for our anniversary. The food was delicious and they were very accomadating towards likes and dislikes even if not an allergy.Special Features:
- Foodie find in Frederick.LilbucDined on 10/18/2014Wonderful food presentation and service. A great special occasion destination though somewhat pricey worth the cost for the quality of cuisine and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dining experience!SilverSpringCatDined on 10/17/2014This is our go-to restaurant for special occasions. This time it was our 10th anniversary. We got the Chef's tasting menu and were not disappointed. The halibut was perfectly cooked, and the butternut squash ravioli with the shaved white chocolate was incredible! We splurged on a great bottle of wine recommended by the sommelier. Ate at a table in the kitchen so we could view all the action and preparation of the food. It was an amazing experience. Our servers were wonderful, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.