228 North Market Street
Frederick, MD 21701Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://voltrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3016968658x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Lounge: Tuesday - Friday: 3:00 - close: Saturday - Sunday 11:30am - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Bryan Voltaggio
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining and meeting space is available in our Conservatory. The Conservatory seats between 6 - 12 persons. In the conservatory we offer audio | visual capabilities for presentations. In addition to our conservatory, we have the option of hosting your event in the Gallery.
The Gallery showcases a collection of local artists work and can accommodate events up to 32 persons. Please ask for Julie South, Events Coordinator.
- Private Party Contact: Julie South 3016968658x205
- Special Events: VOLT is available for private parties and our dedicated dining team is on hand to assist in planning your event. Everything from menu selection to wine pairings can be custom designed for a memorable occasion.
We offer a number of settings for your private event.
The Conservatory is available for parties of up to 12 guests.
Audio/visual capabilities are available in the conservatory.
Chef's Dining Room can be reserved for parties of up to 20 guests.
The lounge may be available for larger parties.
Audio/visual capabilities are available.
For a wedding reception, social affair or corporate event, we offer the possibility of exclusive use of the restaurant. We can accommodate up to 70 guests for a seated dinner and 175 guests for a cocktail reception and provide the full attention of our entire staff.
To discuss availability and pricing please contact Julie South at (301) 696-8658.
- Cross Street: Between 2nd and 3rd Street
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: We offer complimentary parking starting at 5:00PM. Our lot is located adjacent to the front entrance to VOLT, off Market Street. Off street parking is also available in the Church Street Deck - located at 17 E. Church Street. Directions to entrance on Church Street:
From Market Street, take a right onto Church Street, then immediate left into parking garage.
A word from VOLT
VOLT offers guests a menu of modern American cuisine. “The focus of our cuisine is based on classic flavor combinations, creating sophisticated dishes that emphasize purity and seasonal flavors that are based on fundamental and innovative cooking techniques.” said Voltaggio. VOLT’s relationship with local artisan farmers ensures availability of products to fulfill the philosophy behind the menu, in a refined, historic venue where classic meets modern. By design, the restaurant follows along the original footprint of the mansions first floor parlors. Both the 38 seat main dining room and the bar/lounge open off the foyer. The original mosaic tile in the foyer was the inspiration behind the warm monochromatic color pallet that adorns the finishes in VOLT. Private dining can be hosted in the conservatory offering views of the expansive courtyard. The 700 square foot kitchen afforded space to include up to 20 guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
VOLT reviews from OpenTable diners
313 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (261)fit for foodies (246)romantic (141)notable wine list (140)neighborhood gem (79)hot spot (50)great for brunch (45)good for groups (33)great for outdoor dining (19)great for lunch (9)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (4)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014very good Service was a little formal, very good, but I prefer a smile and joke to very formal But good experience anyway, thanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AJinDCVIPDined on 10/26/2014This was my second visit to Volt but my first for the three-course brunch. I often dine alone, and Volt is one place that I feel I can do so without feeling awkward despite its ambiance being more suited for couples or groups of friends. Perhaps it was because of the attentive servers. All the dishes I tried (Beets, Lamb and Coconut) were great both in terms of taste and presentation. While my first course (Appetizer) appeared small, the second and third courses made the whole meal just about right. I also liked the bread. The drink list offers a good variety of cocktails, wine, etc. In short, it's a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- must have been an off nightcarguyDined on 10/25/2014We did not enjoy our experience . It took 4.5 hours to eat . The dishes while exotic , were not well executed and were served out of order . The wine parings were suspect as well . Some were excellent while others were not appropriate . The wait staff were well trained and attentive . At these prices , a high end restaurant cannot afford an off night .Special Features:
- Over the top Awesome100dlrhamburgerDined on 10/23/2014Table 21 was an experience to behold! Special night, special dining experience for a special anniversary.Special Features:
- A really delightful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/23/2014The service was quite good, everyone was very knowledgeable and friendly without hovering. The courses and their presentations were a true fine dining experience. I'd absolutely recommend Volt.Special Features:
- Table 21 - Absolutely Fabulous!!!!!dinerDined on 10/22/2014We went to Volt for our wedding anniversary midweek and splurged for Table 21 with wine parings. I have to say that from the time we were greeted until we left, it was absolutely wonderful. The food was just incredible and was superbly enhanced by the wine selected for the various courses. We were the only ones to take advantage of Table 21 that evening, so it made for a unique and intimate foodie feast!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So DisappointingYumYumEaterDined on 10/21/2014I have wanted to go to this restaurant for years, and finally made the hour+ trip up. The pop music playing was a little weird, but the staff was very attentive. The food was very disappointing. We started with a beet salad which was delicous and unexpected. The calamari bolognese and the lobster ravioli were extremely salty and the lobster pasta was undercooked. The wagu beef was decent, but the lamb dish was one soggy muddled note that was uninspired and under-seasoned. This meal made me sad.
- Overall AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014This was an amazing experience and there was not one second that was not exciting and delicious! I would love to go again and will for sure make another reservation for another special occassion!Special Features:
- It's beyond fine diningJackieFDined on 10/19/2014I am not a foodie, but I thought good food involved fresh, locally sourced ingredients and taste. At Volt, I explored the mind blowing concept of texture.Special Features:
- I Ate My BeetsBeetingMyFearsDined on 10/19/2014Who knew I would get a dish whose primary component was beets and I would love it? As a devout beet-despiser, I was skeptical about ordering the 5-course tasting menu for brunch since beets were prominent in the 1st course. But why come to a dining experience such as VOLT and be afraid to dabble in the unknown? So I faced my fears and fell in love with beets - at least the smoked beets with tuna, tonnato, and cured egg yolks. This is my second trip to VOLT and it will not be my last. There are so many more culinary adventures waiting for me there.Special Features:
- great!GuillaumeVIPDined on 10/19/2014The new menu for the fall is excellent and thank you for keeping the calamary bolognese !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/18/2014My husband and I went for our anniversary. The food was delicious and they were very accomadating towards likes and dislikes even if not an allergy.Special Features:
- Foodie find in Frederick.LilbucDined on 10/18/2014Wonderful food presentation and service. A great special occasion destination though somewhat pricey worth the cost for the quality of cuisine and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dining experience!SilverSpringCatDined on 10/17/2014This is our go-to restaurant for special occasions. This time it was our 10th anniversary. We got the Chef's tasting menu and were not disappointed. The halibut was perfectly cooked, and the butternut squash ravioli with the shaved white chocolate was incredible! We splurged on a great bottle of wine recommended by the sommelier. Ate at a table in the kitchen so we could view all the action and preparation of the food. It was an amazing experience. Our servers were wonderful, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticlaespanolaDined on 10/16/2014The tasting menu is creative, bold and original. The fusion of flavors with the manipulation of combinations is exquisite. Enjoyed the meal immensely. The wine list is over 50 pages long. It was difficult to navigate for a novice. The only small, SMALL criticism I can express is that the tables are close too together in the room with the kitchen, and you can be involved in your neighbor's conversation (and them in your) without intention.Special Features:
- Ok, But Not SpecialOldAnalogDined on 10/12/2014We had what the waiter referred to as the "protein driven" tasting menu. This was an hors d'ouevres plate plus 6 courses, including soup, dessert, beets, halibut, sweatbreads, & wagyu beef. The smoked beets were first rate as were the sweatbreads, we never tasted better. But the halibut was so overcooked it had a skin on it that could not be cut with the edge of a fork. The "wagyu beef" was stringy and slimy. Service was badly timed with huge gaps between the early courses & the last three arriving on top of one another. Entrees arrived barely warm. Glasses sat empty for long periods. No one server seemed to be in charge of us; the fellow we saw at the beginning we did not see again until he handed us the bill.
- Amazing dinneryakuzaDined on 10/12/2014Went to Volt for our anniversary. It was perfect and amazing. We had the wine pairing with the chef menu, and we substituted the ribeye for two for the wagyu beef, and I highly recommend getting the special if it's available. Be prepared to eat a lot, and chances are good that you may not finish it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- teddybeartwoVIPDined on 10/12/2014Disappointing. Food interesting but not good. Too muck guck on pasta. Lamb not tender. Dessert the best.
- Great place!esee7Dined on 10/12/2014My boyfriend is a total foodie, so I took him there for his birthday. We both enjoyed the entire experience. The service was incredible and the food was great. It is a little on the pricey side, but you definitely get what you pay for.Special Features:
- OUTSTANDING DINING EXPERIENCE !OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014If you enjoy fantastic eats and great service . . . then you need to make a reservation and check this place out. Everyone can experience this dining pleasure. From the everyday hard-working couple who enjoys great food and great service celebrating a milestone to the epicurean with discriminating taste and a sophisticated palate. They have a tasting portions where you can order 3, 4, 5 different items or you can select from two different chef selected 6-course meals. You may also have a wine pairing with each course, if you so choose. Be prepared to open up your wallet as it will cost you about $300 per couple (excluding drinks and gratuity) for the 6-course meal with wine pairing. For me, it was worth the experience. Bon Appetite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/11/2014Impeccable Dining Experience. Matchless. Without Peer.Special Features:
- Franck6VIPDined on 10/11/2014Not a problem for me but some of my fellow diners were unhappy with needing menu items explained to them, and ultimately didn't find the food that tasty, although artfully presented and everyone felt the service was superb. My main gripe is that for a pricey place it was hard for our party of five to hear each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waking Up The TastebudsBruncherDined on 10/11/2014I chose the three course menu on Saturday for brunch - the fluke was sashimi style, the haddock broiled and served with asparagus tips, and the chocolate dessert was FANTASTIC. Please indulge in the breads - cheese and bacon brioche, Parmesan and herb biscuit, cinnamon bun, and whole grain brioche. Breadsticks are great too!Special Features:
- Jn52Dined on 10/10/2014Simply outstanding. I would highly recommend. Service, food, overall experience was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- muleDined on 10/10/2014A great experience but will be a long time before I returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a special occcasionWVRHIADined on 10/10/2014This was our second time enjoying Volt. Definitely a place for foodies. Everything was delicious and served to perfection. My only comment is that it is very noisy and the tables are very close together, so we probably talked to each other more in the car on the way there and back than we did in between courses! The synchronization of the wait staff is amazing to watch!Special Features:
- Good food junkiesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014This was our third experience at Volt and, our budget permitting, we would choose to come again (and again) without fear of becoming bored with the menu because each time it was a fresh variety of delicacies. Also, the menu style gives opportunity to sample a variety of culinary experiences in one meal and the wait staff was impressively cordial and knowledgeable about everything. Also, they willingly accommodated a special needs seating situation for our party on the spot. The venerable old building in Historic downtown Frederick was icing on the cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Electrifying. High voltageWalker78Dined on 10/4/2014This meal was amazing. A 10! We loved it...the staff is so helpful and knowledgeable. We had the tasting menu and wine pairing and it was truly beautiful food....was on our bucket list and did not disappoint.Special Features:
- Dining at its bestGreenfieldfredDined on 10/3/2014Volt is a great dining experience. It is not a place that the average person would go on a regular basis, but it is a restaurant for a special occasion expecting quality food and service. And, you get it all at Volt. We selected the "tasting menu" and loved all 6 courses! We dined for almost 3 hours.Special Features:
- veryiratecustomeriratecustomerDined on 10/3/2014My wife and i decided to dine at Volt (Table 21) for our anniversary (reservation Friday Oct 3rd). We enjoyed the atmosphere, the staff and some of the chef's creations at table 21. We were not impressed by the individuals that were at our table (Drunk wife and groping husband, also one gentlemen who could not stop talking...way toooo much talking). Our evening which was supposed to be a wonderful romantic evening was destroyed by the ignorance of so callled sophisticaed people of high standards. The final straw that broke the camel's back was the total price for this event. I cannot see how you can justify this event being worth close to $400.00???? Anyway, as they say you get what you paid for and i did not get mcuh for the price.Special Features:
- Best meal ever!denisezVIPDined on 9/30/2014We sat at Table 21 which is the chef's tasting table. Twenty one small-bites courses! Every one was incredible. I don't think I'll ever have a meal as good as this one again!Special Features:
- Dinner at VoltCookfriendly64Dined on 9/30/2014A old one but apparently a good one. (Old in the group of Voltaggio establishments). Visiting Frederick for the first time I checked out volt. Food lived up to the hype of the book the brothers put out. The restaurant as a whole is very nice. However with a edge that is very transparent. It is very clear that Bryan and his chefs pay homage to there older and fine dinning crowds but still bring tons of fun and adventurous ideas to the plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extraordinary!RobsDined on 9/28/2014Food as art. Food as performance. Food as play. So much fun! Worth every penny and more.I would recommend this to a friend.
- As fabulious as ever!cedarVIPDined on 9/27/2014We've been going to Volt for six years now. The food is as jaw-droppingly good as ever. For dinner, and I think brunch on weekends too, you get a choice between an a la carte or prix fixe menu. We went with the a la carte and loved everything. Highlights for us were the Smoked Beets with cured egg yolk & yellowfin tuna; Heirloom Tomato with sourdough & goat's milk ricotta; Lobster Raviolo with snap peas & espelette; Beef Short Rib with English cucumber, malt & salsify; Lobster on Carolina gold rice porridge, shaved fennel& hazelnut; and for dessert: Chocolate with sesame and caramel and lastly Peach with mascarpone, tarragon and smoked honey! Wow! A fabulous wine from the extensive and well-put-together wine list rounded out the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful evening at Volt.SepiatonedDined on 9/27/2014Dinner at Volt was exceptional. The service was well-timed, courteous, friendly, and sincere. I enjoyed the ambiance of the Main Dining room. The Tasting of Menu with the wine pairing was amazing, as foods that I prepare in my own kitchen were elevated to new and exquisitely flavorful heights. The Madeira wine to finish the meal was the best that I have ever tasted. They also read your notes and comments, as they remembered my wife's' birthday and mentioned it more than once during our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but worth it!mandypantsDined on 9/27/2014I just want to throw this out there first- it's not clear on the website menu but you basically have the choice of the roughly $100 Chef's menu or to pick your own Chef's menu al la carte. The Menu makes it look like you can just order an entree for $30- but that's actually a tasting plate... so you really can't get out of there without spending a min. of $100/person. However- the food was FABULOUS. Everything was seasoned well and executed flawlessly. It is totally worth the money for a special occasion and the service was impeccable! Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a foodie experience for a special night out. Also their scotch and wine lists were pretty extensive.Special Features:
- Worth it!Cpm77Dined on 9/27/2014We had a great experience! I was worried about going too early, we choose the 530 seating but it ended up being great bc it was quiet and felt like we had the place to ourselves for about a whole hour! The service was impeccable. Food was so interesting!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!!icemanDined on 9/26/2014Table 21 is beyond amazing, if you go get the wine pairing. Best service and food I've ever had, unbelievable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- With ReservationsOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/25/2014Seated close to kitchen, too close to tables on either side. No feeling of any privacy. Somewhat noisy at first until dining area emptied. Six-course option too much food for us. Better if we could choose some options. Halibut, Waygu Beef, outstanding, as was service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too over the top for usOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/24/2014This was a special occasion for us, and VOLT did succeed with an excellent experience. We were, however, under whelmed a little and feel it deserves to be shared. We can't justify the multitude of steps taken for each plate of food to the cost. For instance, a $13 ravioli plate had 1 ravioli that was too al dente and hid the most important flavor of lobster. Perhaps if more dishes had less procedures involved, allowing a lower cost to the guest, more people would dine during the week and not just for "special occasions". We are obviously not "true foodies" because it didn't leave us with the desire to return.Special Features: