239 E. Colorado Blvd.
Pasadena, CA 91101Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thevol94.com/
- Phone: 6263569494
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday and Tue - Thurs: 5:30pm - 11:00pm (kitchen closes at 10:00pm), Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00pm (kitchen closes at 11:00pm).
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Vol. 94
Casual dining for families and friends.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Vol. 94 reviews from OpenTable diners
- Not what it used to be...NickDined on 12/28/2013The plethora of good reviews on yelp and a recommendation from a friend enticed me to try this restaurant since I specifically was looking for tapas in Pasadena. Vol 94 used to be known as a place for a different dining experience than the typical bland fare. We were sorely let down as the menu had changed in the past month. Gone were the mussels, gnocchi, duck, and crab. Those items have been replaced with seared salmon, rack of lamb and scallops. The scallops were done well with a nice sear but the rack of lamb was not butchered correctly. It was very hard to cut off each chop as there was a bone that was particularly hard to cut through at the end of each chop. It came with mashed potatoes and spinach, the chef can be more creative.
- Menu had chaned "recently"OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/28/2013Menu had chaned "recently" from what was posted online which was very disappointing New menu was cool but not what we went for. New chef or management should remedy this ASAP!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a good nightPasadenNewbieVIPDined on 12/21/2013The restaurant was dead. Most of the wine was sold out, plus what they had was not good. We walked out before sampling any of the food.
- ONLINE MENU NEEDS UPDATINGBrownDined on 11/30/2013Disappointed that online menu items, "chicken & waffles" were not available; No dessert menu presented; Lamb shank and steak entrees were awesome. Cava, sparkling wine, was on special ($25/bottle) and was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Menu - Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/21/2013I have to admit when I walked in and there were only two other people there, I got worried. When I looked at the menu, I immediately noticed it was about 1/3 of what I saw on OpenTable and most of the things I wanted to try were no longer on the menu. I asked the waitress what happened and she informed us that the restaurant brought in a new chef who changed up the menu. We decided to stay and give its try and were rewarded for the gamble. It was a cool evening so we started with kale soup and wow was it good. Our entrees both were exquisite. Perfectly prepared, great flavors, well proportioned and a visually pleasing arrangement. This is a beautiful restaurant with incredible food. The service is below par though. I'd come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot hidden near Old TownOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/20/2013Loved the atmosphere here. A wonderful spot for a romantic dinner or a big group. Staff is friendly. We had a reservation for 8 and were running late but they were patient with us even though the kitchen was closing :) Going back real soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok Food, Lousy Service, ExpensiveSteveDined on 11/15/2013My wife and I went to this restaurant on a Friday night. The menu is limited. The portions are good sized. There are a lot of waiters, but the food delivery was very slow. Not sure why. Maybe the kitchen had a problem. The flatbread was good, but cool rather than hot. We ordered soup. It took so long to come, we cancelled. We were given complimentary champagne to make up for it, which was a nice thought.
- Dinner and a Movie?OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/1/2013We were searching for a place close to ArcLight Theatre and came upon this gem across the street. The food was very diverse and delicious. Tapas are served "family style" as they are cooked so the food came nice and hot; however, we must have ordered when everyone else did because our wait to even get our order in was too long. I'd give it another chance because my mouth waters thinking about the food choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, unprofessional serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 10/30/2013The food was excellent. It's too bad that the service while friendly, was so unprofessional. We told our waiter we wanted to share the Mussels as a starter. Less than a minute after bringing the Mussels he brings my wife's Scallop entree. He mutters an apology that the chef didn't pace it right. He then seems astonished that we want him to take it back. After that, he seemed to avoid our table. Didn't pour our wine in spite of paying a $25 corkage fee. Didn't offer more bread for dipping in the Mussel sauce. They also don't seem to be able to bring two entrees at the same time.Special Features:
- Great spot, great food. IAltaFoodieDined on 10/16/2013Great spot, great food. I have driven by 1000 times and never knew it was there. We will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our little secret.GavinPDined on 10/5/2013Vol 94 never disappoints, which is why I can't understand why it isn't always packed. Honestly I think it's the location, which isn't bad, plenty of foot traffic. If Vol 94 was on green street you wouldn't be able to find a seat, the theater crowds would have standing reservations every night. The menu is packed with dishes you thought you knew. Twists on your favorite comfort food, cooked to perfection, with a gourmet attitude that isn't at all pretentious. I'm torn, I love that on a weekend I can take my fiancée on a whim and get a table at Vol 94, but this place deserves to be "impossible to get a table".Special Features:
- Just okayMichelleDined on 10/5/2013Food not so good, cool decor, tables too small. It's a tapas restaurant, lots of big plates and no where to put them. Also, only beer and wine, which is not a problem except when they run out of a couple of labels that we requested also keeping in mind they don't have much of a wine list. Probably won't be going back.
- disappointing experienceaficionadoDined on 9/22/2013Ordered lobster eggs benedict which was quite good albeit just warm. Service was subpar, worst I've had in a long while.Special Features:
- Overall, very goodGrumblingGourmetDined on 9/21/2013Excellent restaurant; imaginative menu, very attentive servers -- but the noise level, as more diners drifted in, became unacceptable. Some noise damping would be greatly appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/14/2013I had high hope for Vol.94 and took my sister there for her birthday. It started well enough. We ordered a glass of wine, the nuts fried in duck fat and the charcuterie plate. Then our waiter completely forgot about us...for 30 minutes. We asked the water guy to find our waiter but he never came back. We requested our check an left.
- Dinner for 3TeeuuDined on 9/14/2013The appetizers were good (kale salad, ceviche, and cheese plate) but the hot tapa plates were only average (pork belly was not crisp enough, the lamb shank was over done which made it dry, and the risotto was nothing special in term of flavor). This is why I would only recommend the the restaurant as a lunch venue.. The server was very good in presenting each tapa. However, the lamb shank had to be reordered since that was missed. I was not impress overall with the food.Special Features:
- New kid on the blockOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2013Found this gem while on a morning walk. So glad to have discovered Vol. 94 - the food was first-rate and the service was great. So many delicious sounding options on the menu - looking forward to going back and trying a few more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fusion tapaOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2013We had diner here to celebrate my wife's birthday. The ambience was a perfect fit for the occasion. We were greeted with a very friendly and knowledgable staff. Although the food came in small portion,but the fusion mix is delicious with the right flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/25/2013Food was tasty -- but came out in the wrong order. We ordered charcuterie and it came out after the dinner started arriving. Also, all dishes were served to my partner before my dinner was even served. The kitchen is messed up. It appears that only one person was manning the hot top and the restaurant was crowded. The kitchen could not keep up and the servers were not on top of the orders.
- Great food for dineLA! WillKaitLADined on 7/24/2013Great food for dineLA! Will be back to try their regular menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent findRemavenVIPDined on 7/23/2013Probably never would have tried this restaurant if it wasn't for dine L.A. and I really would have missed an excellent meal. Every dish was tasty to the point of oohs and ahs. Service was friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- Food was a 10 out of 10coriveeDined on 7/20/2013I went to Vol. 94 with my boyfriend and my cousin for DineLA and we were not disappointed. I can be skeptical of ambitious menus, such as the one at Vol. 94, but was pleasantly surprised by each and every dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Improperly Trained ServersOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/20/2013Party of 3. Sat for 20 minutes without service, not even water. Had to flag someone to order food and bottle of wine. Being a wine bistro, waiter couldn't properly pour wine and dripped all over the table. After the initial pour, the waiter didn't pour for us again. We got tired of waiting and started filled our own glasses. After we finished 6 starters and 3 entrees, the waiter finally came by to try to fill our glasses only to realize the bottle is empty. Asked if we wanted another bottle. Maybe 30 minutes ago when the wine ran out I would have. Entrees were brought out unaccompanied with proper utensil. Food itself is not bad. Some good (cauliflowers, albacore, salmon), some average. Restaurant is a bit on the noisy side.
- DineLA GemFoodieDined on 7/18/2013Overall the experience at this restaurant was good. The food was tasty especially the Marinated Kale Salad, the 60's Shroom and Weed - its popcorn grits were amazing. I also loved the green curry mussels and the dessert dark chocolate panna cotta was to die for. The service was mediocre, because our reservation was at 9pm, I felt that we were rushed to get to the restaurant, get seated and order. They did not bring out wine right away, we had to wait for about 45 min and the order they brought out our food was jumbled. They first brought out our main course green curry mussels as our appetizers which my friend and I thought was weird. Other than the mediocre service, the food was good and would come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/5/2013Vol 94 is a great Tapas restaurant. It blends typical Tapas with some Asian twists that just add a little more flavor and complexity to the food. We had the pork belly, charcuterie plate, salmon, shrimp & bread, and lamb. All were excellent. I highly recommend Vol 94.Special Features:
- I can't believe this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/22/2013I can't believe this place wasn't packed for a Saturday night. The food was innovative and delicious. I will definitely be returning to this gem very soon.Special Features:
- Great tapas & vinotahoegrlin626VIPDined on 6/18/2013My boyfriend and I really enjoyed this spot -- tasty, eclectic tapas (not just prosciutto-wrapped dates). Wines were good, could use a few more selections by the glass especially for weeknights. We like restaurants on the livelier side, but it was a Tues night so we're going to give it another shot on a Fri/Sat. Service was really attentive, pacing just right and the ambience is contemporary and hip without being hipster. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Satisfied the palette of ourOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/16/2013Satisfied the palette of our large group of 6 adults and 3 kids. Very creative and tasty dishes with multiple layers of flavor (although I think some dishes could use one less layer to be even better!) Try the shrimp toast and green curry mussel.Special Features:
- Tapas are the scene hereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/5/2013This is a good place if you like Tapas. A few other Tapas places in Pasadena are not good and this one is outstanding. Foodies would love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT AS ALWAYSOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/26/2013We have dined at Vol. 94 a number of times. We always find the service excellent and the food very interesting. The menu always seems to have several new items added that are always worth sampling.Special Features:
- I Love the Lamb ShankOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/25/2013This was our second visit to the restaurant. The lamb shank that I had was one of the best. It was cooked just right and the meat was so tender without a strong gamey flavor. I like this restaurant offering small plates and we were able to taste them all without feeling stuffed. The appetizers and other plates were up to par. The wine selection was excellent. The host (the owner?) was so helpful. He offered us a choice of table. The waiter was very attentive. The only drawback was the ventilation. It seems to me the building was dated and the exhaust fan in the kitchen had some issue and the smog from the kitchen is everywhere. The owner should talk to the landlord to get it fixed. Despite all that, we will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overrated food; waited 50FusionLoverDined on 4/28/2013Overrated food; waited 50 minutes for food, server was excellent and had a great attitude about it and offered a 15% discount
- We've usually gone on weekOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/19/2013We've usually gone on week nights when it's been quieter, but there were lively crowds when we went this time on a Saturday night. We discovered Vol. 94 by accident last year when we just happened to walk by, and what a happy discovery it was! The food is delicious... love ordering and sharing different small plates, and although we've found favorites that we go back to, such as the purple cauliflower, whenever we try something new, it's never been a disappointment. The service is very good... appropriately attentive and helpful. Also - like that the owner comes by the table to say hello and check on customers. The wine list is excellent - varied and reasonable. Highly recommend1Special Features:
- Turning Down the VolumeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/19/2013On a relatively busy weekend night, our waiter had so many tables, he would often disappear for much too long, especially in a tapas kind of situation where you the table finishes a dish pretty fast and is ready to order again soon. Three times, someone at our table had to ask either the hostess or another waiter to get our server. Unfortunately, the food didn't make us feel much better about the poor service. Dishes were relatively bland; the cheeses - mediocre, the meats - not terribly well seasoned, the veggies - uninspired. And to top it all off, $3 PER GLASS for iced tea. No kidding. Flavored water was 3 bucks per refill. I cannot recommend this beautiful little spot for which I had high hopes. Disappointing.
- Kind of a mixed bag. I thoughtfoodiedudieVIPDined on 4/18/2013Kind of a mixed bag. I thought the kale salad was bland and the shrimp appetizer had unnecessary sweet bread with it. The shrimp were delicious though. I had heard rave reviews of the mussels but we were disappointed. They were minuscule and didn't smell so good. The best dish was the Hidden Dragon veggie dish...very tasty with nice spice kick. We thought the menu was interesting and diverse, but some dishes just didn't live up to our expectations. Very friendly attentive service.Special Features:
- The menu was terrific. EverythingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/16/2013The menu was terrific. Everything else was o.k. but somehow fell a little short of expectation. Whatever was lacking, though, could certainly be fixed.Special Features:
- Food excellent, wines mediocreKauaiTravelerVIPDined on 4/13/2013Not knowing anything about Pasadena, we tried to find something different rather than the usual steak/fish. Vol.94 was quite unusual but everything on the food menu was excellent: the broccoli rapini and string bean veggies, the pork belly entree, the salami platter. All excellent. There were some unusual but great taste combinations. Service was excellent. The only disappointment is that they have a lousy selection of wines. Tolosa Winery seems to be everywhere on the menu and it's not very good. Listen up, Vol.94: upgrade your wine selection and I will give you a perfect score.Special Features:
- Love the shrimp kaya toast,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/6/2013Love the shrimp kaya toast, best green curry mussels! Thanks for another awesome experience. Will be back soon!Special Features:
- This is a romantic hiddenOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 4/6/2013This is a romantic hidden gem. Made reservations on a Wednesday for 7:30 on Saturday night w/ no problems. Wait staff was really nice and helped us decide which items would go well together. The duck fat nuts, kale salad, pork belly, and escolar w/ forbidden rice were all delicious. The escolar was so good we ordered a second. The food pacing was off--slow coming out at first and then uneven afterward. We ordered wine flights and liked the wine selections. Before we even had time to finish the first wine, they brought out full glasses of champagne (which was delicious) to apologize for our wait. But we didn't mind because the food was delicious when it did come. The leisurely pace actually made the evening more enjoyable. Will visit again.Special Features:
- Will be back!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/30/2013Great experience and love the vibe. Its simple, sexy and the food is yummy! The sommelier was great and very helpful and hands on!Special Features: