Vlora Bar and Restaurant
545 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Vlora Bar and Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.vloraboston.com/
- Phone: (617) 638-9699
- Hours of Operation:
Open Tuesday-Sunday from 11 am until closing; daily brunch is served from 11am until 4 pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Aldo Velaj
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Vlora offers preset menus for all private parties. To accommodate dietary restrictions and special occasions, personalized menus are available to be tailored to each party's needs.
- Cross Street: Clarendon Street
- Public Transit: Vlora Mediterranean Restaurant & Wine Bar is accessible by T. We are located within five minutes walk of both the Green Line (Copley Square and Arlington ) and the Orange Line (Back Bay).
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: We offer validated parking for those guests parked at the 500 Boylston Street parking lot. Anytime after 4:00 pm is $ 7.00 - please check with your server.
A word from Vlora Bar and Restaurant
Located in the heart of Boston's Back Bay (Boylston Street and Clarendon Street), Vlora Bar and Restaurant focuses on truly authentic Mediterranean cuisine that is characterized by only the use of olive oil, a minimalist approach to cooking with an emphasis on taste and the use of the freshest ingredients. Owned and operated by husband and wife team Aldo Velaj and Cindy Tsai, the restaurant is named after Aldo's home town - Vlora, Albania. Vlora's menu stems largely from Aldo's experiences traveling and eating through the Northern Mediterranean region of Southern Italy, Greece and Albania. Featuring an extensive yet reasonably priced wine and beer menu, the restaurant also offers a late night menu available until closing.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Vlora Bar and Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Vlora Bar and Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (7)great for lunch (6)neighborhood gem (6)good for groups (5)late-night find (3)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (3)romantic (3)special occasion (2)vibrant bar scene (2)fit for foodies (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- DisappointedinerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/19/2014My colleague & I went to this restaurant for a late dinner after work (8:45). There were two other parties in the dining area. We ordered burgers. The orders were confused, and lackluster. The waitress was sweet, and did the best she could. Overall, a depressing atmosphere and mediocre food.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/14/2014Waitress was pushy and frequented the table too often. She insisted that we order more/order things we did not want. She was very disappointed when we did not take our leftovers. I think she was trying to be helpful, but just came off as annoying. She did not know how to poor our wine and came off as inexpericed. My Vegetable Lasanga had hardly any vegetables. The others in the group seemed to enjoyed their dishes more.Special Features:
- Do not go!WincyVIPDined on 11/12/2014Rude owner, horrible steak and NOTHING is meditteranean! False marketing and worst customer service ever.
- Good food, Service questionableNeedhamSteveDined on 11/8/2014Some of the dishes were very good, especially my Basa. Service was very questionable. Bartender did not know how to make a Cosmo and many if the wait staff did not understand English. The manager was awesome and stepped in and fixed everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinner!CallistoVIPDined on 10/26/2014Our dining experience was excellent - two of us had the basso, one had the veggie lasagna, and we shared the spanikopita appetizer, and all were excellent! Service was friendly and attentive, but unobtrusive. Menu seems to have lost some variety since our last visit, but we'll still be back.
- so-so after work findsmithan2VIPDined on 10/23/2014I'm sure this is a great place to go to for lunch. However, my husband and I were stuck at work late, wanted something close, and I saw this place was 1,000-point-table. We show up, and it is EMPTY. literally, no one else there but us. We thought it was a bad sign and were ready to leave. However, the food was good and service was obviously prompt. We'd probably go back for brunch or something, when there would hopefully be more people there. It just felt weird because we were alone, in a basement, without a lot of ambiance or décor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surpriseborn2eatVIPDined on 10/19/2014After reading reviews wasn't expecting much. Excellent service from Mamadou! The owner came over which is always a nice touch. 2 of us had roasted chicken Which was very good. The soup of day was excellent. The appetizer meatball was a favorite. Definitely will return and ask for Mamadou!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and serviceOnTheRoadAgainDined on 10/18/2014Our waiter was very engaging. Funny. Great service and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedNaked23Dined on 10/16/2014Went here because it advertised vegan Mediterranean food. I was expecting falafel, tabouli, Etc. Instead I ended up with a lasagna that reminded me more of an onion custard :(. At least the spanakopita was decent. Service was good and te decor was really nice. I would have enjoyed it more had there not been a large party in the restaurant with a very loud non-stop talking woman in it.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/25/2014Cute little place... It was completely empty and I'm not really sure why... Our waitress was super sweet, food was awesome, prices were reasonable, and it had a nice little ambiance going for it...
- Convenient Back Bay restaurantoldnwiseDined on 9/20/2014We met here to have some long discussions over dinner. We were looking for something slightly upscale, but not too expensive in Back Bay. That we got. It is downstairs under a sub shop and not too well marked. Their published address is the entrance to an office building, and Velora is in the basement. That would have been good to know as we had to double back to find it. The food is a little unusual and is described as Mediterranean and seems to include Greek, Italian, and Albanian dishes. There are several choices, but not too many unique enough. Even some of the familiar choices were prepared in good, but unexpected way. They had calamari, but it was served with pickle relish rather than a red sauce. Good, but not as expected.Special Features:
- DisappointedDMWCDined on 9/12/2014We recently returned from touring Greece and were very excited to try Vlora's Albanian twist on Mediterranean cuisine. Unfortunately, we were disappointed on most accounts. First, the menu posted on Opentable, Zagat, and Vlora's website is out of date -- the real menu handed to us at Vlora was 1/3 the size and didn't have either of the dishes we had hoped to sample. The bruschetta was not what you would expect bruschetta to be but it was still good. If you're expecting a crusty bread, you will be severely disappointed. But it was great to try Albania's take on bruschetta. I would not order it again but I appreciated the Albanian twist. Also, they ran out of the Vegetable Mousaka, so as a vegetarian it was not easy to pick another item.
- great breakfast/brunch spot!OutoftownerVIPDined on 9/10/2014Vlora is in a great location right on Boylston Street. The seating is relatively spacious as far as Boston restaurants go. The service was very friendly, and the prices were fair. The food was relatively simple, but this is their selling point anyways, and overall the food was very good. This was a very positive dining experience, and we think we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/7/2014The service was slow, and the watermelon in my salad was not ripe.Special Features:
- Food is not worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014The food is not that good and not worth the price.
- Decent patio, Not so for the foodMandiferousTRexDined on 8/14/2014My visit to Vlora what not what I expected. From the description and pictures, I booked at Vlora thinking we'd have an authentic Mediterranean meal in the heart of the Back Bay with a view of Copley square. Well, Copley square yes but the food was anything but authentic and nowhere near fresh. Honestly, as soon as we arrived, I could tell it wasn't exactly what I was hoping for, but we figured we'd start with a couple apps and go from there. We spend nearly $50 on apps and two lagers! The crab cakes were mushy and fishy with a side of straight-out-of-the-bottle (grocery store bottle) tartar sauce. The meatballs were swimming in a lake of spaghetti-o "marinara" sauce. Go here to have a beer, but I can't recommend the food.
- Disappointingmnoormo1VIPDined on 8/5/2014Mixed reviews from our party of 3. The rib-eye was delicious and very flavorful; however, the lamb gyro (which 2 in the party had) left much to be desired. The lamb kefta filling lacked flavor/seasoning. The french fries and salad accompanying the gyro were delicous. The service was poor - our server did know the size of the rib-eye and had to ask someone. Further, instead of giving us 3 dessert menus - she gave us one. I wouldn't go out of my way to this restaurant.Special Features:
- The following 649 reviews are from the Vlora Bar and Restaurant reviews archive.
- unfortunate nothing was goodIHdinerVIPDined on 6/26/2014Food poor, service poor, quality and setting poor.
- Excellent ServicetastybDined on 6/25/2014The waitress was lovely and when I told her I was gluten intolerant she brought the chef out to tell me what was gluten free on the menu (a lot!). He was great and enthusiastic about the food - coming to check that I liked what I had ordered. Very sweet staff!Special Features:
- Why bother asking?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Told the waitress that the burger was cooked well done, but ordered medium. Her reply? I wrote it down right. The cook doesn't speak English". REALLY? How about getting a manager? Or taking it off the bill? Or offering a cp dessert? If we weren't with others, would have spoken to the manager. Waitresses, don't even ask if you don't care
- return tripGailVIPDined on 6/20/2014Haven't been on a few years. I miss the scallope dish for sure Lamb special was very good but veggies were just plain Need to be a bit more inventive
- Good food and good serviceKellyIVIPDined on 6/3/2014I was there for an early dinner and really enjoyed the watermelon and feta salad. Service was great and the restaurant was quiet when I was there.
- Good food, Service OkayBostonDinerVIPDined on 6/1/2014I had been here years ago for lunch, and remembered it being okay but pricey. Came here for dinner, and was pleasantly surprised. The drinks were very good, and the appetizer quite good (watermelon and feta cheese with a balsamic dressing). Our entrees were light and very appetizing (grilled shrimp salad and spicy shrimp couscous). The ambiance is pleasant and there weren't too many people dining so it was quiet. The servers were polite and friendly, though I had to flag them down for simple things like a glass of water (for a slow night, I'd expect them to be more attentive). But overall a good experience, and I would go back.Special Features:
- Nothing specialamydVIPDined on 5/28/2014This place needs to decide what it wants to be. The menu offerings were all over the place, and loud disco (yes, 1970s disco) music dominated the dining experience. I ordered spanakopita and gyros, since I had gone in thinking the restaurant specialized in Greek food. The food was nothing special, honestly, and I had to wait quite awhile for my check. Very disappointed.
- Fair at bestFiDiGirlVIPDined on 5/25/2014The food was OK but the atmosphere was very disappointing. It's like a school cafeteria with neon lights. The waitress was friendly but knew nothing about the food or drinks she was serving. Also the place has a cordials liquor license rather than a regular one so you have to order flavored drinks.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/16/2014I always enjoy eating there and it will be lovely in the summer with their new patio.Special Features:
- Not what I expectedDiannaDined on 5/11/2014We went for what we thought would be Mothers Day Brunch. When we got there, the hostess was very rude seating us. She gave us the menus and there was no special brunch menu. The menu would have been ok if we were not expecting brunch. The waitress was very un attentive. We had 3 kids with us ranging from 2 to 7 yrs old, it was very hard just getting silverware, napkins to drinks for the kids. When we were ready to pay, i finally flagged down our waitress after waiting about 15 mins. We gave her the credit card, and she never came back! I had to go downstairs after another 10 mins to get the check that still had my credit card. When I found the waitress she was adamant she had given it back to me...obviously she was wrong! never go back!!!Special Features:
- luv2dineDined on 5/7/2014Me and my friend's orders were wrong, i think our waitress didnt understand much english but it looked like she was trying. Great outside seating and beautiful indoor set up enough room to hold events and go for a romantic date. the manager and bartender were very nice. I will revisit them againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sparklynicatnightDined on 4/27/2014Although the menu was not extremely expansive, there were multiple dishes that everyone at my table wanted to try. The half roast chicken was delicious and my friends really enjoyed the chicken shish kabobs. The restaurant is on a basement level, but the decor provided colorful illumination inside. The sangria was also very good and the cocktail list had good options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible ServiceAAAAVIPDined on 4/19/2014Horrible Service half of the items on the menu wasnt available
- Healthy OptionsShellyVIPDined on 4/10/2014I had a fantastic kale salad with grilled shrimp and fresh squeezed OJ. The entree choices were fresh, healthy, and just the right amount of spice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice moussaka and lambBarNoneDined on 4/3/2014Nice moussaka and lamb, chicken kebab needs more flavor. We picked Vlora on its location as we had a play in the area. The menu is limited, though generally tasty. The food arrived promptly, meeting our schedule needs well, though the server did not come across as friendly, which might have been as much mis communication due to language as anything else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as always!YuriyGVIPDined on 3/27/2014Wonderful appetizers, quick and attentive service, well priced drinks (and menu altogether) in a part of the city where quality that isn't overpriced is hard to find. This is that exception! Highly recommend giving it a try!Special Features:
- Good pre-theater spotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/16/2014I went with a group before a show at the Colonial to try something different. We all enjoyed our meals, I found the salmon a little heavy on the butter and the accompanying rice a little heavy with either oil or butter...but I almost never use either in cooking so that is just my personal preference. The staff were extremely friendly and accommodating; they called us a van cab as the walk to the Colonial was a little too far for some of our group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Affable, attentiveCallistoVIPDined on 3/15/2014Attentive service followed a friendly greeting for our group of six. Everyone enjoyed our early dinner, with people especially liking the vegetable moussaka and vegetable lasagna. The only flaw in the otherwise excellent service was the disappearance of someone's take-home leftovers. But this was graciously rectified by kitchen and staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, So-So-ServiceMakeupGoddess26Dined on 3/10/2014I went with a group of couples and we had a waitress who was either very new or had a loose command of English; she was very serious, slow and made us slightly uncomfortable. Food took awhile to arrive but was overall very tasty. I had the beet salad which came sliced and topped with goat cheese but was very difficult to get on a fork and ended up splashing beet juice all over my light-colored top and jacket. Slightly pricey for the selection but very different flavor combinations to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PlainDennis21VIPDined on 3/8/2014Food was very plain and tasteless. Whet with wife and two daughters-all had same reaction. Even the atmosphere had nothing to offer! Should have listened to my first gut reaction when I first saw this dungeon. Please don't bother
- Good and basichungryinnorwoodDined on 2/28/2014This is a clean, simple restaurant with good basic food, mostly Greek dishes. The service staff was very nice and patient with our indecision and slow pace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Family DinnerBostonVisitorDined on 2/21/2014Food was good. Tasty, fresh and nice sized portions. Good wine list. Service was attentive and informative. A few specials would have been nice. Overall, we enjoyed our dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ethnic DishesHbgNateVIPDined on 2/17/2014We went here with a group of friends from work. The reservation was for 6pm and we were the only people in the entire place so we were a bit concerned initially. It was a Monday night. We didn't need to worry, the food was excellent and the service was very good. The menu is full of eastern-European inspired dishes, which may not be for everyone, but if you are adventurous and like to try new things you'll be happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.