Vivoli Cafe & Trattoria
7994 Sunset Blvd
West Hollywood, CA 90046Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Vivoli Cafe & Trattoria
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.vivolicafe.com/
- Phone: 3236565050
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Nunzio Donato Ciaraulo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Delivery, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Please call Donato for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Entire restaurant buyouts available. Please call for details.
A word from Vivoli Cafe & Trattoria
Vivoli's 2004 review in the Zagat survey raves: An "absolute gem" "in the heart of Sunset" and the "best deal in WeHo" is what those in-the-know call this "small" Italian for its "amazingly authentic", "well-prepared" cuisine, "reasonable prices" and "warm hospitality"; while generous groupies "highly recommend" it, others say "shhh-don't let anyone else in on the secret." Vivoli Cafe and Trattoria opened July 8, 2003. They bring to your table a collection of fine authentic Italian cuisine originating from the Northern to the Southern regions of Italy. Please come anytime of the day for lunch, a mid-day snack, or a fine four course dining experience. However you decide to dine at Vivoli, we want to become your neighborhood favorite! For a complete menu go to www.vivolicafe.comContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Vivoli Cafe & Trattoria reviews from OpenTable diners
- A friend had planned a tripAmaryllisVIPDined on 6/1/2013A friend had planned a trip to Italy to celebrate his 50th birthday, but, unfortunately, had to cancel. Vivoli's Italian immersion experience, consisting of Free Italian Lessons followed by a sumptuous Italian feast, made for a thoroughly satisfying and enjoyable alternative to being there! We were a party of six and we all had a blast. The ones who were first timers at Vivoli were blown away by how good the food was!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened?GeorgeVIPDined on 5/16/2013This used to be one of our favorite places, with friendly staff and pleasant atmosphere, but something ha changed because it's a completely different restaurant now. The staff doesn't communicate well, and the food is barely passable. Chicken limon was flavorless, and the mixed vegetables that came with it were undercooked and bland. A caprese salad appetizer featured dry, limp lettuce, and the tomatoes that weren't ripe. Even the bread, which used to be so yummy, was blah. Only the tiramisu was anywhere near what it used to be. It saddens me, because this used to be a place we'd go for a pleasurable evening. That's not the case anymore, and we won't be going back.
- Delicious food. Great service.yntbomVIPDined on 4/14/2013Delicious food. Great service. Stuck in a busy, little mini mall...but that's it's only problem.Special Features:
- This is just a solid, everyJayFagnanoVIPDined on 3/30/2013This is just a solid, every day, mid-priced Italian that we find ourselves going back to again and again. They're not setting the culinary world on fire, but they deliver good food at a good price. Service is pretty much all Italian and very friendly. Every neighborhood should have a restaurant like Vivoli!Special Features:
- What a surprise!TunechiVIPDined on 3/16/2013Surprisingly incredible! I never thought to try out this place due to its hidden location, but it was some of the best Italian food I've had lately!Special Features:
- From a frustrated customerOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/26/2013We liked this place a lot. The food is very good and the service was excellent. The issue arose with the bill. Apparently they add an 18% "service fee" onto each check, regardless of the size of the party. I understand adding this for large groups, but there were only four of us and we all know how to tip. The waitstaff insists that they do not get this as a tip. This all seems weird to me. I am 52 and have eaten in restaurants all over the country all my life. Until I get a reasonable explantation for this, we will not be going back. Which is a shame because the food is very good.Special Features:
- The spaghetti was amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/17/2013The spaghetti was amazing! I could here every night!Special Features:
- We used to dine here fairlyAmaryllisVIPDined on 2/13/2013We used to dine here fairly regularly for "lunch & a movie" while the Laemmle Sunset 5 Theatre was in business next door. Since the theatre closed it had been a while since our last Vivoli visit. Missed it so much that we returned just for lunch last week. The staff is completely new now (to us) but we still found the service absolutely exquisite, and the food was possibly even better than the delicious meals I recalled from before. Their Salmon Penne and Clam Linguini were both KILLER! Great to be back!!Special Features:
- Good...but...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/26/2013Overall I had a good experience but I was surprised to see a 18% 'Service Charge' on my bill. I can understand a service charge for a big group but we were only 2 people. And this is NOT gratuity. That had to be paid separately. Frankly speaking I would not come here a second time just because of the service charge.Special Features:
- We didn't appreciate the mandatorygypsydrVIPDined on 1/15/2013We didn't appreciate the mandatory 18% service charge for a table of 4. I have heard of this for large parties, but 4 people. Food was very mediocre. Wouldn't return.
- DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIMEOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2012Awful experience on every level. Will never go back. They should go out of business.
- The food was good, not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/29/2012The food was good, not great. The service much better than a number of the reviews (on Yelp) had indicated that is was. In fact, it was as good as, if not better, than many restaurants receiving better ratings. And this was at 8 PM on a Saturday night.
- My wife is vegetarian andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/30/2012My wife is vegetarian and I'm an omnivore, si we are always on the look out for restaurants that give us both a great deal of options. Whether intentional or not, Vivoli has a great selection of vegetarian items on the menu from appetizers through main courses. The service was pleasant and the atmosphere romantic.Special Features:
- Good food in a convenientOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/10/2012Good food in a convenient location marred by terrible service. Even though we ordered some appetizers immediately upon seating because we had a pregnant woman in our group, 40 minutes later we were told they were out of a few things we ordered. Couldn't they have told us that when we ordered? It became clear that our waiter didn't put in the order and then the kitchen ran out of certain items. The whole meal was delayed as a result and ruined our experience. We felt rushed from there on out, trying to get to a show, our first food didn't show up until over an hour after we initially ordered. It's a shame because the food was very good, but the staff seems a mess.
- Good date night spotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/2/2012After watching surrounding restaurants start up and disappear in this little outlet, there's a reason that Vivoli has remained. I went here with the girlfriend for an anniversary and was not disappointed. They have a pretty substantial Italian menu, with plenty of seafood and meat, as well as pasta dishes (I can personally recommend the Seafood Risotto, a lot lighter than you'd expect a cheesy dish to be). They also provide unlimited free bread an olive tapenade (blended olives). That alone is worth the trip. Finally, some people complain about the mandatory tip, but I think it is pretty great. The service doesn't seem to suffer and you get out without having to workout a tip amount. I personally thought it was great.Special Features:
- Really badmb2013VIPDined on 11/1/2012Vivoli used to be a great little neighborhood Italian place. I don't know if the chef changed or ownership but it's certainly gone down hill. Kitchen is really slow. Took 20 minutes for our appetizers and 25 minutes after that for entrees. The $26 veal parm was horrible - chewy veal smothered in sauce and store bought mozzarella. They add 18% to the bill for service which was a shocker after the meal we had. Definitely a place to avoid.
- Great foodyntbomVIPDined on 10/22/2012The food is well-made and tasty. The olive tapenade that came with the bread was to die for. Everything is simple and fresh-tasting. The restaurant is in a mini-mall in a very hectic part of town but you somehow feel set apart from it when you arrive here. The negatives: we've seen the restaurant grade that is posted in the window change from A to B back to A back to B over and over again. That's concerning. Having to pay for parking is a bit of a drag. It should be comped by the restaurant.Special Features:
- Don't bother coming here.BHFoodloverVIPDined on 10/20/2012I have Not been here for a while. I said have guessed there was a problem when the restaurant was empty on a Saturday night. The food was fair and the service was non-existent. Not only that, they had the nerve to charge me an 18% service charge for only two people. Would not come back.
- The food was good, but ourOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/14/2012The food was good, but our overall experience was not. We called the night before to see what time they open on Sundays because we had theater tickets for 1:00 p.m. We were informed that they open at 11:00 a.m. for lunch on Sundays, so we went ahdead and made our reservation. Upon arriving at the restaurant a little before 11:00 a.m. on Sunday, we were told that they do not open until 11:15 a.m. on Sundays. Although the food was good, the service was very slow; and we barely made it to the theater in time for the show.
- How To Mess Up A Great RestaurantFrankieagogoDined on 9/22/2012Vivoli, unfortunately, is not the same great neighborhood find it was when it opened nearly ten years ago. Over the years, there have been changes. No longer is Vivoli Zagat rated 27 for food, nor should it be. Service is amateur at best, what service is provided. The owner has placed in effect a 18% gratuity charge on all checks, this charge, I am told, is kept by the house and not distributed to service employees. In addition, there is no place on the check to provide a tip. As such, servers work for minimum wage and receive no gratuities and it shows. Food and service are mediocre at best, but the owner's greed is excellent.
- Good, fresh food. Menu ayntbomVIPDined on 9/19/2012Good, fresh food. Menu a bit limited. Service was friendly but SLOW!!!Special Features:
- This restaurant is in an outdoorOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/16/2012This restaurant is in an outdoor mini mall. After we ordered the waitress told us that a couple of our entrees were not available anymore so we had to choose different entrees. This place is average. Nothing outstanding about it. A small restaurant with passable food.
- Bad experience since the serverOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2012Bad experience since the server forgot to put in our order!
- Had kept away for a whileOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/9/2012Had kept away for a while after some disappointing experiences. Revisited with a discount coupon and had a pleasant surprise. Food was very tasty and service was very solicitous.
- Small, Neighborhood ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/2/2012Small, Neighborhood Italian Restaurant on Sunset Strip in a strip mall. Food was decent and service was good. A bit pricey for the wine.
- My husband and I the 1st toOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/2/2012My husband and I the 1st to arrive at the restaurant, so with the exception of classical itallian music playing in the background it was very quiet. I am not typically a fan of olive tapenade, but what they served with the focaccia upon seating was delicious, I could have easily eaten it all. We ordered the lasagna, gnocchetti and beef carpaccio. Carpaccio melted in your mouth and the lasagna was perfect. I was a little sad that the gnocchetti did not have the traditional grooves I had become accostomed to, and seemed to be merely cut into little gnocchi shapes from a long roll. But the texture and taste were all there. Overall the staff was friendly and helpful, we will definitely be back Thank you!Special Features:
- A great local restaurant withJDSLAVIPDined on 9/2/2012A great local restaurant with good food and an amazing staff.Special Features:
- Wife and I enjoyed an amazingCollegeparentsDined on 8/23/2012Wife and I enjoyed an amazing meal at Vivoli's. This was our fist time in West Hollywood and this great little Italian Cafe helped make our 26th wedding anniversary a special evening. Servers and chef were very personable.Special Features:
- Food has gone downhillOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/18/2012Restaurant was uncomfortably hot, and to make things worse, food took a very long time. Despite only a few tables, and repeated apologies, it was 40 minutes to receive out appetizers. Server was lovely, although new. We have gone in the past and had good food. Not this time. Carciofi salad was bland. NY steak looks grey and was very bad. Gnocchi was good and was our other pasta dish. They were out of one of only 3 Italian wines. The house wine was warm and we sent back. The Malbec wasn't much better. About 45 minutes in our meal, owners come in, sqy hellow to once table, and then SIT DOWN by the door to eat. We won't be back.
- Food and service was outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/18/2012Food and service was outstanding. However the air conditioning was not working, very uncomfortable.
- I used to go to this restaurantdebariwinnieVIPDined on 6/22/2012I used to go to this restaurant at least once a week. It's gone down hill in every way.
- Although the restaurant isOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/2/2012Although the restaurant is small, the seating is not cramped. Service friendly and food delicious. I would recommend this resturant and go there againSpecial Features:
- My wife and I were so pleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/26/2012My wife and I were so pleased with the service from the seating to the waiter to the bus boy. The food was so delicious. The look was that of a small Italian villa. The whole experience was fantastic. We will be back again.Special Features:
- This once hidden gem was unfortunatOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/11/2012This once hidden gem was unfortunately more than lackluster. We had two courses. Despite multiple reminders that we were in a little bit of a hurry, we saw tables who came in after us get served first, and our food took forever (about a two hour proces). The tuna carpaccio was so fishy the two people who ordered it did not eat (and we waited for for almost an hour)
- Food could be better and don'tDubbDined on 5/6/2012Food could be better and don't care for the automatic gratuity they add. Staff is great!!!!Special Features:
- Unbelievable wait for foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/27/2012Unbelievable wait for food and servers who handled the problem in kitchen by taking it out on us. Terrible experience.
- Good food terrible service(again)LAfoodieDined on 4/6/2012Our service was awful. I used to go here all the time and this is the 3rd time I've had that experience. We were having a business lunch for 6 people and the food was so slow in arriving, 3 of the 6 had to take their meals to go and that was after over an hour.Plus they automatically added an 18% tip for that lousy service. I had to ask for the bill 3 times after the meal. It was a joke and very unprofessional. the waiter never came by, never asked if everything was ok, never apologized. if I hadn't been entertaining some clients and others and been so late to my next appointment, I would have raised more of a fuss right there.
- Lovely people work there!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/20/2012Lovely people work there! Food is good! Quiet small place making it very comfortable to eat and talk with friends.
- I've been there several timesBobzDined on 3/16/2012I've been there several times and NEVER had a bad meal.Special Features:
- THE WORST SERVICE AND FOODOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/25/2012THE WORST SERVICE AND FOOD EVER OVERPRICED MUST TIP 15% TIP ?????