838 W. Randolph St.
Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vivo-chicago.com/
- Phone: 312-733-3379x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Wed: 11:00 am - 10:00 pm
Thu: 11:00 am - 11:00 pm
Fri : 11:00 am - 12:00 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Italian, Wine Bar
- Executive Chef: Vincente Duran
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact email@example.com to inquire about catering menus.
- Special Events: Join us at Vivo every Thursday for 1/2 bottles of wine!
"Where the glass is always half full"
A word from Vivo
For more than two decades, Vivo has been serving traditional Italian dishes in an upscale yet casual atmosphere. Requested weeks in advance, Vivo boasts the most sought after romantic table in Chicago - Table 70.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Vivo reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (55)neighborhood gem (52)special occasion (46)great for outdoor dining (44)fit for foodies (42)notable wine list (32)hot spot (23)good for groups (22)great for lunch (16)late-night find (13)vibrant bar scene (9)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014I went here with my girlfriend as a special dinner for our 3 year anniversary and I ordered the filet mignon medium rare and it came back rare. I would not have minded except the steak was extremely under seasoned, and was not worth the 35 dollars I paid for it. My girlfriend ordered the grilled chicken though and said hers was absolutely wonderful. So my advice to you is if you go to Vivo don't get the steak.Special Features:
- glitzysueVIPDined on 9/14/2014Food is excellent. Staff is nice, but service was slow despite not being very busy. Great cocktails.Special Features:
- mikeMikeDined on 9/13/2014Always a great place. Electric atmosphere. Great food. Great service. Only one bathroom so plan carefully.Special Features:
- A nice evening outJulieVIPDined on 9/12/2014Very good food and atmosphere. Maybe a bit on the pricey side, but the dishes are all beautifully presented and well flavored. The only complaint would be the cost of drinks - $14 for a pretty small martini. I don't mind paying that price if I'm getting a nice large martini glass, but these were poured into a pretty shallow champagne glass. Vodka rocks also a little small - poured into a big glass with rocks and it didn't even fill the glass halfway. I'm guessing that they were full shot pours, but for $14 you expect a little more generous pour.Special Features:
- VivoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Exceptional DINING EXPERIENCE/../First class all around..food,service wine list and decor or all magniicent. Ben & Lynn.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014Took out of town colleagues to Vivo and they were really impressed with the food and the service. They said they plan to visit Vivo on their next visit to Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvthefoodDined on 8/25/2014This was an excellent restaurant. Food, drinks and service were excellent. Very accommodating for groups with special function in mind such as we had for recruiting a physician.Special Features:
- Too loud too hotTboneDined on 8/22/2014Tables were very close, we were at the table closest to the stairs and kitchen, this it was very hot and. Very loud. I will not return. Food was good wine was good but sweating at dinner ruined it
- Warm, Charming, Great Wine Listlydia1VIPDined on 8/21/2014Vivo has a warm, romantic feel to it. Great wine list. It's a bit louder so not good for groups over 6 in my opinion. Such a wonderful spot in the West Loop and a fav of mine in Chicago.Special Features:
- jepacoDined on 8/20/2014The lunch menu at Vivo recently read like a slightly reduced dinner menu. That's fine if you want a large lunch, but less helpful if you want an excellent lunch without overeating. The choices were standard Italian fare, less imaginative than I remembered from a previous visit. So I had a caprese, where both the tomatoes and mozzarella were very good but not superb, helped along by a marvelous drizzled, light pesto. The mussels and clams vognole were delicious, if a bit salty. My lunch companions had pasta dishes that they also found very fresh and very good, if not superb. Service was attentive and friendly.
- Great anniversary dinnerkmchenDined on 8/19/2014Vivo has been a favorite of my husband and mine for years. Their food is excellent and always has been. Sorry to see a slight change to their Caprese salad (fresh tomatoes vs. oven roasted). The wine list, though usually grand, was a bit on the smaller side as well this time. Still a great spot for an intimate dinner with great service.Special Features:
- Naz57VIPDined on 8/14/2014The food, as always, is exceptional. The only downside to the lunch menu is that is is a bit limited, with fewere selections than you might expect. In addition, parking, which used to be an advantage for a business lunch, has now become difficult and limited to valet.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bday Dinner Was Lots of FunLdefDined on 8/9/2014I took my family to Vivo for my birthday and it was a very good experience. Its a bit expensive but the food is well worth it. The weather was beautiful and so they opened the front doors. Its right on restaurant row so its a great location and the ambiance is what you would expect for this location. Definitely recommend it for a group dinner, date night, friends, really anyone you want to have a conversation with and enjoy some fine dining.Special Features:
- Good for GroupsFanofVivoDined on 8/8/2014We had a large party and Christine was so accommodating. We had a lovely time. The food and wine were excellent. It's a sophisticated atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Patio DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014A girlfriend and I grabbed an easy dinner with great wine on the patio. The food was to die for, the waiter discussed the wine in depth with us, helping each of us choose exactly what we had the taste for. I will be going back!!Special Features:
- Great choiceBIGCITYDined on 8/1/2014The restaurant offers specials that are always great. Any item on the menu will be enjoyed.Special Features:
- JoanDined on 8/1/2014We had tickets for a 7:30 performance at the Oriental so we had an early dinner reservation on a Friday. Half our party arrived quite late. The wait staff was extremely accommodating and we enjoyed a delicious meal finishing with time to spare. Vivo never fails to deliver great good, service and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!dluvsrkkDined on 7/28/2014Business Lunch- started off with a few appetizers- Olives, Cheese.... then ordered one of the daily specials- the Tilapia which was cooked perfectly and it was delicious! All of our guests enjoyed their selections. Will definately keep this at the top of our list for lunch spots!Special Features:
- Great overallMarkDined on 7/26/2014Food and service was great. They have a great pork-chop. Place was easy to find. Only thing we did not like was dirty silverware that was brought to us when we ordered the desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dinnerTammyVIPDined on 7/24/2014We alway go to this place to celebrate our wedding anniversary and it is always fabulous. The food, wine list and service is outstaanding. It is a must go to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Table 70Table70Dined on 7/24/2014After reserving on Opentable Christine the Maitre De, called and asked if we wanted Table 70 since it was our 10 year anniversary. When we got there Christine was amazing and so was the entire staff! Great wine suggestion and great food! It was very romantic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vibe, food and wine list!GweazleVIPDined on 7/24/2014This restaurant was recommended to us in anticipation of a visit to Chicago. It did not disappoint. We would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointeddebbDined on 7/18/2014Been here many times but not in a couple of years. Looking for a great outdoor venue . Host service was phenominal, wait service warm but inattentive. Food was the real letdown here. 19 dollars for chaucuterie was a bit stiff but okay, pasta entree lacked flavor. We kept hoping for a pepper mill but none came. Dessert was a flacid and flavorless layer cake which we left for dead. Felt like the waiter was only interested in the upcharge. It was early so it wasnt like he was busy....Special Features:
- love this place!LaurenDined on 7/16/2014We visited Vivo for my 30th birthday and had a great experience. The waitstaff, especially the hostess, could not have been more energetic, friendly and accommodating. The appetizers and entrees were delicious - well seasoned and portions were fairly large. The only reason I didn't give this restaurant 5 stars is because their desserts are unfortunately not good. We were surprised, given how great the rest of the meal was, but someone is not getting it right with their desserts (we tried three different kinds - none were very flavorful or the right consistency). Overall though, a great restaurant. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- GeffVIPDined on 7/9/2014Outstanding food and wine.......service was sorely lacking unfortunatelySpecial Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedmathis226Dined on 7/7/2014We picked this place randomly off of open table and it was great! The food is kind of pricey but normal for a good dinner in Chicago. I had a very underwhelming red wine, but my gnocchi was fabulous and so was the bread! We thought the decor was awesome and everything was very pleasant. It wasn't too loud, which I also appreciate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MartaDined on 7/5/2014As always great food! great service. Would definately come back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/2/2014Went before seeing Motown the Musical and have been to Vivo a few times. The food is consistently awesome! The service this time was just ok. It wasn't busy at all, just a few tables at that particular time, so you'd expect that the service would be extremely attentive - it wasn't. Has been much better in the past. Ordered quite a few cocktails and an app with the entrees, so it wasn't like this was a little bill. I will absolutely go back, I'm assuming this was a fluke. The food is worth repeat visits again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good but not greatBonneVivanteDined on 7/1/2014Relaxed refinement of atmosphere and lovely wait staff, but I found the cuisine only average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- westloopskepticDined on 6/21/2014Dinner was excellent, and our visitors from England loved Vivo. Our server, Nicole, was a lovely and gracious young lady. She made the experience a delight.Special Features:
- What a treat!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014Vivo was a great treat for my wife and I. The service and the food were awesome. Very fresh. My wife had the crusted Tilapia and I had the veal. I like the simplicty and elegance of the meal.Special Features:
- Lovely birthday dinnerklyjenDined on 6/9/2014I went to Vivo with two girlfriends to celebrate a birthday. The service is amazing and attentive without any sense of it being overbearing. The wine our server recommended was fantastic, and our food was sublime. I had the Gnocchi Vivo which is amazing, with a side of the sauteed spinach, which is also excellent. My friends both loved their entrees as well. The atmosphere is fantastic -- huge glass doors bring in some early evening natural light, and even when the restaurant filled up it never felt too loud or overwhelming. I loved it and will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveningCharlieDined on 6/7/2014Second or third time here...both enjoyable. Good menu...server made suggestion to have a half-portion of pasta, which with a big salad was just right. Love the ambience -- energetic, but not so noisy you can't have a conversation.Special Features:
- VivaVivo1231ArtFoodVIPDined on 6/6/2014This is one of my favorite places in Chicago! Both the food and ambiance are special and sophisticated. The drinks are made with a special touch, which adds to ambiance of the restaurant. Surprisingly, I feel that everyone is very moderately priced for the quality that you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Business LunchNumbersDined on 6/3/2014I enjoyed an outstanding lunch with a client at Vivo this week. The insulata mista was very fresh with light dressing. The ravioli with chicken sausage and tomato-based sauce was delightful. My guest enjoyed the halibut special. The service was attentive but we didn't feel rushed, even though we lingered to discuss business matters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 686 reviews are from the Vivo reviews archive.
- Great experience - outdoor diningCriticalConsumerDined on 5/31/2014I needed a place to host a business discussion and originally booked for 6 but had to up my numbers a few hours ahead of our reservation to 8 and they were very accomodating and flexible. We ended up sitting outside because the weather was spectacular which was again a last minute decision since they had set an indoor table for us. The service was just right. They got the flow of our meeting and did not push us to move faster but were very attentive to our needs. The food was very fresh and timely and the wine suggestions were good (pinot gris and barolo).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great serviceCricketiDined on 5/17/2014Good good, great service by the waitstaff and sommelier. Would definitely go back again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!LovetoeatDined on 5/17/2014Vivo's food is amazing! Order anything on the menu and you are guaranteed to be satisfied. The signature drinks are awesome and the wine list is pretty extensive. Don't expect the server to nag you every second so if you like to be checked in on at least 3 times, it won't be here on a busy night. The restaurant itself is pretty tight so if you don't like sitting right next to someone skip this spot. Overall, great food and a totally worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemLovedVivoDined on 5/16/2014While in town before my husband had, had a great lunch and knew I would love the place. We had the best Caprese Salad we have ever had!! It is made with roasted tomatoes. What a treat. My dinner was the Rigitoni with sausage and peppers. They did not skimp on the sausage. My husband has the Veal Milanese and he really enjoyed it too. We ended the evening with the bread pudding and coffee. We were totally delighted with the entire dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gone DownhillWinedudeVIPDined on 5/16/2014We've been here a few times before and thought Vivo was worth trying again. This time we were disappointed. This is a smallish place that squeezes you into tables like sardines. All you can hear during dinner are the conversations of the patrons at the tables next to you (3 inches away). The food is mediocre at best best. The Caesar salad was one of the worst we've ever tasted. Bland beyond belief. The main courses were decent, but nothing special (pesto ravioli and 12 oz. NY strip steak). The wine list is marginal. So many better Italian restaurants in Chicago!!!!!