838 W. Randolph St.
Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vivo-chicago.com/
- Phone: (312) 733-3379
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Wed: 11:00 am - 10:00 pm
Thu: 11:00 am - 11:00 pm
Fri : 11:00 am - 12:00 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Italian, Wine Bar
- Executive Chef: Vincente Duran
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about catering menus.
- Special Events: Join us at Vivo every Thursday for 1/2 bottles of wine!
"Where the glass is always half full"
A word from Vivo
For more than two decades, Vivo has been serving traditional Italian dishes in an upscale yet casual atmosphere. Requested weeks in advance, Vivo boasts the most sought after romantic table in Chicago - Table 70.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Vivo reviews from OpenTable diners
119 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (55)neighborhood gem (52)fit for foodies (47)special occasion (44)notable wine list (40)great for outdoor dining (34)good for groups (32)hot spot (29)great for lunch (16)late-night find (11)vibrant bar scene (9)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (3)great for brunch (3)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014The only drawback was that I felt rushed as things were moving very quickly. Notwithstanding that, I would definitely return as we enjoyed our dinner and evening. Both the hostess and waitress were very professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great. Not your average Italian.Foodie2Dined on 11/5/2014Although all the food was great Gnocchi were to die for!! Great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely room, good foodellyVIPDined on 11/5/2014Having never been to Vivo, I was prepared for a loud and bright Randolph Street restaurant. The room is beautiful, softly lit, with a long narrow room suitable for good conversation. The food was good, the wine list a bit high, but considering the neighborhood we weren't surprised. We quite enjoyed our dinner.Special Features:
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/4/2014Was in town for a week in business, ended up going there twice, I was that impressed with the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ambiancecannikicks21Dined on 10/31/2014Took my sister here for her birthday, the food was amazing, it wasn't overly crowded, the bartenders were great and friendly. Our server brought out a complimentary dessert for my sister's birthday. Large food portions, which I feel like isn't that common at a lot of hot spots in Chicago. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Wood-fired grilled seafoodMarkKVIPDined on 10/28/2014You'll notice the smell/smoke of the wood fire on entering. I liked it, making me feel like the fireplace at home, but not all will appreciate. We enjoyed a couple of appetizers, then entrees. My colleague was not impressed with the salmon. My calamari was grilled and I found it delicious. Good by-the-glass wine options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- costly but goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014style and ambiance are the high points of this place. They make good drinks as well. The food was pretty good--certainly better than average--but I'm not sure it was good enough to be fifty bucks a meal minimum. I would say no. Service was excellent thoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vivo never disappoints.lovegreatfoodDined on 10/18/2014Vivo is one of the best Italian restaurants in the city... cant go wrong..great food. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Top KnotchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014We go to Vivo before Bulls or Hawks Games. Great food and Incredible staff. They always make sure we get to the game on time.Special Features:
- Out of its depthDaiDinerVIPDined on 10/17/2014You'd expect the place to up its game with the variety of great eateries around it. Sadly not. The menu is uninspiring. The food is just ok. The service is cold. If it wasn't for the fact that this was the only place on Open Table to make a booking at late notice, I probably wouldn't have found out why it was the only place i could reserve a table. We had a table reserved for 8.30 and were seated around 9.10. Not worth the wait. I had friends in from NYC and after talking up how great Chicago is for foodies, this place let me down. You will be better off waiting at Girl and Goat, Au Cheval or one of the many other great restaurants nearby.Special Features:
- Great for a Business MeetingBB510VIPDined on 10/17/2014Vivo holds its own in the West Loop, an area packed with other good or great restaurants. If you want good Italian food, this a place to keep on your list. My guests were quite pleased with their meal. My guest were quite pleased with their entrees, the Gnocchi and the Spaghetti Fruiti de Mare. I had the Caprese Salad, grilled shrimp and tri-color cauliflower. The grilled tomatoes on the Caprese Salad were seasoned well. The grilling of the tomatoes was perfect. It was one of the best Caprese Salads I've tasted. The tri-color cauliflower was also grilled perfectly. The shrimp were flavorful, but slightly overcooked. For dessert, I thoroughly enjoyed the pistachio gelato. The waitress was fantastic. I will definitely return.Special Features:
- The food is always amazing!KdmccaDined on 10/10/2014Each and everytime my husband and I eat here we love the food. Lunch or dinner - always knocks your socks off. Very romantic as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful group dinnerTeamDinnerDined on 10/9/2014Our group had a fabulous meal together - variety of food options and quality of meal was perfect. Everyone's meal was delicious. Service was excellent - attentive and friendly. Restaurant ambience was lovely. Overall a great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cozy and deliciousPointShopperDined on 10/4/2014Delicious Italian plates. Staff very helpful and friendly. Small floor with small tables and seating close. Definitely will return again, but location in the downtown Fulton Market District, so if not valet, tight parking surrounding.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant, Ambiance +++TonyDDined on 10/4/2014First visit to Vivo on a quick weekend trip to Chicago. Outstadning ambiance, excellent food and service was great. Thanks to Sheena, our server, for helping us choose the perfect meal combination! Will defintely be on annual Chicago vacation restaurant must stop list.Special Features:
- Set upOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/3/2014Felt a little too close to the table next to us (at first ) but once we got started with dinner. I seemed to forget themSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurantTammyVIPDined on 10/2/2014This is always a great restaurant to eat at. Good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food and service were subparOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/2/2014Usually love this place for cozy ambiance and great wine list. Had great service and outstanding food in the past but this time food was incredibly bland, I think they completey forgot to season. We mentioned this to our server and she brought out chili flakes and a spicy sauce. Unfortunately that did not help much and I left my plate untouched after a few bites of attempting to enjoy. Server or anyone else didn't notice or follow up with us after reporting our disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- friendly great location good food !jules2190Dined on 10/2/2014Great waiter...food good. Brought out wrong dish for one diner & never communicated to our waiter.(could happen anywhere) overall we will go back. Great spot for Hawks games or concerts @ the UCSpecial Features:
- A nice place for a datesonomastanVIPDined on 10/1/2014A nice place for a date or just dinner. Friendly staff in a sophisticated urban setting, a perfect reflection of the West Randolph dining scene. Recommended for those looking for a vibrant dining scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodAddictDined on 9/27/2014I went here with my girlfriend as a special dinner for our 3 year anniversary and I ordered the filet mignon medium rare and it came back rare. I would not have minded except the steak was extremely under seasoned, and was not worth the 35 dollars I paid for it. My girlfriend ordered the grilled chicken though and said hers was absolutely wonderful. So my advice to you is if you go to Vivo don't get the steak.Special Features:
- glitzysueVIPDined on 9/14/2014Food is excellent. Staff is nice, but service was slow despite not being very busy. Great cocktails.Special Features:
- mikeMikeDined on 9/13/2014Always a great place. Electric atmosphere. Great food. Great service. Only one bathroom so plan carefully.Special Features:
- A nice evening outJulieVIPDined on 9/12/2014Very good food and atmosphere. Maybe a bit on the pricey side, but the dishes are all beautifully presented and well flavored. The only complaint would be the cost of drinks - $14 for a pretty small martini. I don't mind paying that price if I'm getting a nice large martini glass, but these were poured into a pretty shallow champagne glass. Vodka rocks also a little small - poured into a big glass with rocks and it didn't even fill the glass halfway. I'm guessing that they were full shot pours, but for $14 you expect a little more generous pour.Special Features:
- VivoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Exceptional DINING EXPERIENCE/../First class all around..food,service wine list and decor or all magniicent. Ben & Lynn.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014Took out of town colleagues to Vivo and they were really impressed with the food and the service. They said they plan to visit Vivo on their next visit to Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvthefoodDined on 8/25/2014This was an excellent restaurant. Food, drinks and service were excellent. Very accommodating for groups with special function in mind such as we had for recruiting a physician.Special Features:
- Too loud too hotTboneDined on 8/22/2014Tables were very close, we were at the table closest to the stairs and kitchen, this it was very hot and. Very loud. I will not return. Food was good wine was good but sweating at dinner ruined it
- Warm, Charming, Great Wine Listlydia1VIPDined on 8/21/2014Vivo has a warm, romantic feel to it. Great wine list. It's a bit louder so not good for groups over 6 in my opinion. Such a wonderful spot in the West Loop and a fav of mine in Chicago.Special Features:
- jepacoVIPDined on 8/20/2014The lunch menu at Vivo recently read like a slightly reduced dinner menu. That's fine if you want a large lunch, but less helpful if you want an excellent lunch without overeating. The choices were standard Italian fare, less imaginative than I remembered from a previous visit. So I had a caprese, where both the tomatoes and mozzarella were very good but not superb, helped along by a marvelous drizzled, light pesto. The mussels and clams vognole were delicious, if a bit salty. My lunch companions had pasta dishes that they also found very fresh and very good, if not superb. Service was attentive and friendly.
- Great anniversary dinnerkmchenDined on 8/19/2014Vivo has been a favorite of my husband and mine for years. Their food is excellent and always has been. Sorry to see a slight change to their Caprese salad (fresh tomatoes vs. oven roasted). The wine list, though usually grand, was a bit on the smaller side as well this time. Still a great spot for an intimate dinner with great service.Special Features:
- Naz57VIPDined on 8/14/2014The food, as always, is exceptional. The only downside to the lunch menu is that is is a bit limited, with fewere selections than you might expect. In addition, parking, which used to be an advantage for a business lunch, has now become difficult and limited to valet.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bday Dinner Was Lots of FunLdefDined on 8/9/2014I took my family to Vivo for my birthday and it was a very good experience. Its a bit expensive but the food is well worth it. The weather was beautiful and so they opened the front doors. Its right on restaurant row so its a great location and the ambiance is what you would expect for this location. Definitely recommend it for a group dinner, date night, friends, really anyone you want to have a conversation with and enjoy some fine dining.Special Features:
- Good for GroupsFanofVivoDined on 8/8/2014We had a large party and Christine was so accommodating. We had a lovely time. The food and wine were excellent. It's a sophisticated atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Patio DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014A girlfriend and I grabbed an easy dinner with great wine on the patio. The food was to die for, the waiter discussed the wine in depth with us, helping each of us choose exactly what we had the taste for. I will be going back!!Special Features:
- Great choiceBIGCITYDined on 8/1/2014The restaurant offers specials that are always great. Any item on the menu will be enjoyed.Special Features:
- JoanDined on 8/1/2014We had tickets for a 7:30 performance at the Oriental so we had an early dinner reservation on a Friday. Half our party arrived quite late. The wait staff was extremely accommodating and we enjoyed a delicious meal finishing with time to spare. Vivo never fails to deliver great good, service and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!dluvsrkkDined on 7/28/2014Business Lunch- started off with a few appetizers- Olives, Cheese.... then ordered one of the daily specials- the Tilapia which was cooked perfectly and it was delicious! All of our guests enjoyed their selections. Will definately keep this at the top of our list for lunch spots!Special Features:
- Great overallMarkDined on 7/26/2014Food and service was great. They have a great pork-chop. Place was easy to find. Only thing we did not like was dirty silverware that was brought to us when we ordered the desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 702 reviews are from the Vivo reviews archive.
- great dinnerTammyVIPDined on 7/24/2014We alway go to this place to celebrate our wedding anniversary and it is always fabulous. The food, wine list and service is outstaanding. It is a must go to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.