71 W Monroe Street
Chicago, IL 60603Neighborhood:
Downtown / Loop
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.italianvillage-chicago.com/vivere/
- Phone: (312) 332-4040
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday thru Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday thru Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Robert Reynaud
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Vivere offers several different dining options for private parties. Cocktail gatherings and sit down dinners for up to 60 guests are available in the balcony overlooking the main dining room. Parties of 75 can reserve the main dining room for dinner or buffet service. The entire restaurant can accommodate seating for 135 guests, or a buffet gathering for 175 with cocktails and appetizers in the intimate lounge. Themed parties can be arranged, as well as audio/visual capabilities, bands, O.K.’s , and special guest lecturers. The Wine Director is also available to hold seminars on the introduction, selection and trends in the Wine Industry. The talented chef and pastry chef can design any menu or item you are looking to serve and pair with that special vintage of wine.
- Private Party Contact: Lucy or Gina 3123324040
- Special Events: We have a special 3 course Prix Fixe Menu for $23.00 per person ( excluding tax and tip) for Lunch only.
We have several Wine Dinners during the year. Please refer to our website for details.
A word from Vivere
Vivere continues to be a Chicago landmark of contemporary Italian cuisine. Operated by the Capitanini family , Vivere has won numerous awards ranging from "Best New Restaurant" Esquire Magazine, DiRona Award , Wine Spectator and Ultimate Distinction by Wine Enthusiast. The Chef incorporates innovative dishes from his yearly travels to the various regions of Italy. A unique tasting menu in addition to the seasonal menu displays the skill and progressive nature of the restaurant. Vivere's swank design, conceptualized by acclaimed designer Jordan Mozer, applies contemporary twists to Baroque designs that are draped in plush velvets and warmed by rich gold tones. Interior Design Magazine has given Vivere its highest honor for restaurant design. Vivere's immense cellar, complete with 45,000 bottles, affords the guest with endless options with the assistance of its Wine Director. The intimate bar makes a great place to enjoy a glass of champagne or a signature drink and antipasti.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Vivere reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (24)fit for foodies (22)romantic (22)notable wine list (20)neighborhood gem (12)good for groups (9)great for lunch (6)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Out of townersonalarkVIPDined on 11/8/2014In tow for a meeting. Chose this from the open table list and based on reviews we were not disappointed. Food was great and the ambience was unique. Wine list is extensive with very heavily priced items. Wine steward was accommodating to our price range with very good results. A group of five and nobody was disappointed. We thougt a good value for the money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014For what I paid for my food, it could have been more than average, and the portions could have certainly been larger. erver was kind and friendly- but fast rushed and confused- probably because he was new slightly untrained and overstaffed. I spent $200 on 4 meals and 4 drinks, which isn't terrible, but for what you can get in Chicago for that price, I felt a bit let down.Special Features:
- Great as always!redbirdDined on 11/8/2014Vivere is one of the best restaurants in Chicago. The Chef's tasting menu with wine pairing is incredible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient for TheaterDaveVIPDined on 11/1/2014This cute restaurant is very close to the theater we attended. Ambiance was good. We told our server that we had theater tickets, and he told us we should have plenty of time. He seemed very nervous and uncomfortable. We waited for probably 45 minutes for our meals. Many tables who had come into the restaurant and had been seated 10 - 15 minutes after us were all leaving, and we were still waiting for our dessert. We made the theater okay, but didn't enjoy the experience as much because we felt rushed to eat and enjoy coffee and dessert.
- A memorable experienceVenueattendeeDined on 10/28/2014We had a tasting menu with wine pairing. We have a 5 o'clock reservation and a 730 performance to go to at the Bank of America theater, A block away. We used valet parking which allowed us to pick up our car after the theater and was a real bargain $12. You need to a half hour timeslot to do a tasting menu properly as of the lodos 15 minutes to go over to the theater. The chef came out and ask initially our preferences and described the dishes as they were brought out and the somelier did the same with the wine. We were served a different item for each of the four courses that we shared which added to the variety. All were excellent.Special Features:
- Food was GoodNAPAKRUMDined on 10/25/2014The Food was good and service was very friendly and good. The wife had the Bolognese sauce and it was great.Special Features:
- Good, not quite greatViking8810Dined on 10/24/2014Place was rather noisy. My appetizer was awesome but the seafood pasta was just average and a little underseasoned. My rye Manhatten was quite good. Service was excellent. They asked asked and knew we were going to a play so they made sure we were done in time. I would go back. Prices were decent considering it was in the heart of downtown.Special Features:
- Pre-theatre dinnerasmithDined on 10/21/2014Good place to hit for dinner before a show. $12 valet that is a close walk to the theaters in the area - cheaper than most garages.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/20/2014average Italian, service was good. I am sure there are better in Chicago.
- Perfect Pre Theatre diningOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/18/2014Outstanding service and every course was delicious. Great pre theatre dining and post cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre TheaterUnderwhelmedVIPDined on 10/18/2014Great place for pre theater dinner if you get there early enough. The staff gets overwhelmed with the theater crowd. The food is very good. The gnocci was outstanding.Special Features:
- Pre show dinnerBirthdaytreatVIPDined on 10/18/2014We had a limited time 90 minutes to enjoy a 3 course meal with wine. The service was excellent and our server was very attentive and professional. The wine by the glass was passable but not great? The restaurant was busy and bustling but a little noisy. We finished in time and crossed the street to the BoA Theatre.Special Features:
- Tasty food, outdated decordinner42Dined on 10/17/2014We had been to this restaurant over 30 years ago, and the decor is still the same. It is time for a needed update into a more modern Italian theme. The service was attentive. We purposely got there early - 5:15pm so that we would have plenty of time to get to our theater show on time. The anti pasta appetizer was a great sampler platter. My husband had the rack of lamb which was properly seasoned and delicious and a very good portion. However, I had the shrimp, scallops and calamari over linguine dish which was very dry (minimal sauce) with small bites of seafood. The wine selection was immense, almost too many wines to choose from. An on- line listing would be helpful for diners to view beforehand.Special Features:
- FoodieVIPDined on 10/16/2014Have not been to Vivere in years -- service, food and atmosphere was terrific -- great pre-theater destination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Bolognese!TinaDined on 10/15/2014We went for dinner before a play at the Bank Theater across the street. Excellent pasta, and great atmosphere. Make sure to tell the waitress you have theater tickets and they will get you out on time!Special Features:
- dinner before a showbelezahgDined on 10/14/2014Really enjoyed my dinner - fresh, timely and delish. I had the scallops with lemon risotto. Great stop before the show. My dessert seemed to be frozen and thawed and still a bit hard- the banana cake- that was the only disappointment. Espresso was excellent gave me the jolt that I needed before a 3 hour show.
- Carol8Dined on 10/14/2014pleasant atmosphere and very good service. Valet very convenient and will wait wait for theaters to let out before leaving their post.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome For MeSmallTownGuyDined on 10/11/2014I'm not a high end restaurant person and this is near the top of my range. No complaints even though we were there for over 2 hours. There were 2 major events taking place this weekend. It was crazy busy and we had already seen the play we came for, so were in no hurry. Other guests were on their way to see the evening play and were in a hurry. The servers gave them priority which we were fine with. I am completely unfamiliar with this type of food, but thought it was great, especially the dessert. I had a lasagna dish that had some fancy title I could not pronounce or remember. Dessert was some sort of lemon thing that looked like custard and had fruit with it. Dessert was a little small but adequate.Special Features:
- Beautiful restaurant & amazing foodCindyJVIPDined on 10/1/2014The restaurant is absolutely beautiful inside. The food was delicious. My friend had the scallops which we refused to share with me. I had the lamb. It was cooked to perfection and had a wonderful blackberry sauce that did not overpower the delicateness of the meat. It was served with potatoes which didn't really thrill me. A polenta might have been a better fit. The greens that were served I thought was spinach, but it had a different taste that I was not a big fan of. So, taking the veggies out, it was a wonderful meal. I love veggies, so a different blend would have moves this meal up several notches. Service was probably the best I have ever had. Cameron was the best example of a perfect server.Special Features:
- Vivre business lunchLawrenceADined on 9/24/2014This is a good place for a business lunch in the Loop. Good location, good food, good service and the tables are spaced far enough apart to have a conversation.Special Features:
- Good food great wineiwuproDined on 9/13/2014We had a lovely meal. All of our items were delicious and carefully prepared. The wine list is one of the largest in Chicago, and the selection of Italian wines across regions is tremendous. These include some great values.Special Features:
- ExcellentjacksonDined on 8/30/2014Food and service were ten star. Great wine list. Rack of lamb was perfect. Apps were good. Good service. Friendly. Wines were good match. A top Italian choiceSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014I frequently dine at the Italian Village/Vivere Room. I've been doing so for about 40 years. I enjoy the place, the food, and the staff. I would recommend the "Village" to anyone who's looking for a good place to eat in the central Loop area.Special Features:
- LouthelistenerrDined on 8/19/2014Greeted at the door with a smile and by name. Service followed same standards and food was top quality. It was a lunch with a favorite relative but would have been just as perfect if would have been my best client! Soups and salads sound trivial but the savory tomato soup made us our tongues say "hooray" and a house salad cam from a very "special" house, dresses appropriately, and the spinach salad would have pleased even Popeye! Will be back soon for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FavoriteCarolDined on 8/13/2014Vivere never disappoints us. We always eat there when in Chicago. The food is wonderful and the service is exceptional. We always ask for Dane to be our server...he is soooooo great. Also, the decor is so fun.Special Features:
- TiredTiredDined on 8/6/2014The service and people working at the restaurant were very nice and friendly. The food was average. The decor is somewhat dated and it was interesting they sat us in the upper level when the bottom area was not full. It smelled a little old and musty in the upper area.
- The following 978 reviews are from the Vivere reviews archive.
- Perfect in every wayIndydinerVIPDined on 7/12/2014In all my years of fine dining the pheasant ravioli was one of the top 10 meals I have ever eaten. The 1988 Dominus was incredible as well. Awesome restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great location for theatereasytopleaseVIPDined on 7/12/2014This restaurant is part of Italian Village. Small selection of entrees. Food was just OK for Chicago's great dinning selections, but the location can't be beat for Bank of American theater.
- Theater Goers Beware!!!FoodieGirlDined on 7/11/2014I rarely write reviews, but need to write one tonight. Vivere is NOT the restaurant to go if you have a theater engagement, which is ironic as it is in the theater district. We arrived for our 6:00 pm reservation, making sure the waiter knew we had a 7:30 pm show, which was a 2- minute walk away. We ordered wine (from an excellent list), then a salad to share & 2 entrees. The salad (while it was uniquely good) took 20 minutes to arrive. When the entrees finally arrived after 20-30 minutes more, it was after 7:10 pm (7:12 by my watch), so we had to inhale our food, barely having the chance to taste what could have been a delicious meal. We paid, rushed out, having never eaten such an expensive meal in 8 minutes flat. Not a good experience.
- Never go wrong hereConnieVIPDined on 7/9/2014We've been to Vivere many times and never been disappointed. No wonder they are the longest running Italian restaurant in Chicago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VivereNickiDined on 7/8/2014For pre-theater dining, I would recommend Vivere. They all seemed programmed to give us a nice dining experience while getting us to our show on time. Valet staff was efficient and fast (and $12 seemed like a good price to me). Our food was good and we had a funny, helpful and efficient waiter. Wish I could remember his name! He actually gently talked me out of ordering dessert because he said we probably wouldn't get to the theater on time. He suggested ordering biscotti to take with us. He was absolutely right and I was so grateful!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Pasta and WineEagle779VIPDined on 7/5/2014We had the tagliatelle bolognese and agnolottini. The pastas were superb, perfectly al dente and lightly sauced. The otherwise excellent Caesar salad lacked anchovies. The outstanding wine list had many American and international choices as well as a huge selection of Italian wines, all at generally reasonable prices. Service was efficient and prompt, if not particularly friendly. The menu offers a limited selection of meat, fish and poultry dishes, although they offer several specials in these categories. The decor is a bit dated, but pleasant. Conversation-friendly.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/5/2014The experience was nothing special---decor seems dated, pasta entrees were okay. One exception was the Caprese Salad!! One of the best I have ever had---ripe flavorful tomatoes, fresh basil, lightly roasted onions, perfectly balanced balsamic vinegar and oil!! I'm reliving the experience as I write!! that salad was superb. The seafood with pasta was passable---not very flavorful---tiny scallops, flavorless shrimp. Not one of my favorites, but I would take that salad home any day!!
- Great food experiencewewillllbebackVIPDined on 7/1/2014Early dining here for pre-theater. Our meals, and the service, were very good. Caesar salad was very nice, the in-house dressing made it delicious. Sea scallop's in chili sauce was a bit on the spicy side, but good enough to finish, and if its too spicy the sauce is on the side. The risotto with lump crab and morel mushrooms was also great; full-flavored and filling, very satisfying. The goat cheese and blueberry cheesecake dessert was wonderful; very smooth and flavorful, big enough to split.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceArkieFoodieVIPDined on 6/28/2014We liked Vivere at the Italian Village so well that we would have returned to one of their other restaurants in the same building during our three night stay, but I couldn't get a reservation at a time that worked with our theater tickets. The food was delicious, and our server was polished, experienced, and knowledgable. I did feel that he was a bit rushed/over-busy, which was somewhat distracting. The restaurant is beautifully decorated and romantic. Incredible and well-balanced wine list, with good choices at every price point. Would definitely return. Total bill for one salad (large enough to split), two entrees, and a bottle of wine was $122.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant Italian in LoopengprofVIPDined on 6/27/2014This is one of Chicago's best restaurants, and has been so for a long while. Seriously underestimated by the foodie crowd-- probably because of association with Italian Village. Elegant decor. Very carefully prepared and tasty traditional northern Italian food (NOT tomato-sauce oriented). Excellent courses throughout meal, from anti-pasti to secondi. Best Italian wine list in city-- by far. And not overpriced.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014I've been to the Italian Village (particularly, Vivere) many times. It seldom disappoints.Special Features:
- Excellent!lgrizzleDined on 6/21/2014We got the chef's tasting menu with wine pairings and both the food and pairings were amazing! We will definitely go again next time we are in Chicago. It was a great experience and we have already sent some friends there.Special Features:
- outstanding service!winendineDined on 6/21/2014Fabulous attentive service! Celebrated our anniversary and staff was very attentive and friendly. Definately would return for special occasions again. Food was wonderful, loved the risotto and fish!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite Restaurant.CarolDined on 6/21/2014My husband and I never miss dinning at Vivere when we are in Chicago. The food is great as is the service. Dane is the best server ever. We just love everything .Special Features: