71 W Monroe Street
Chicago, IL 60603Neighborhood:
Downtown / Loop
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.italianvillage-chicago.com/vivere/
- Phone: 3123324040
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday thru Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday thru Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Robert Reynaud
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Vivere offers several different dining options for private parties. Cocktail gatherings and sit down dinners for up to 60 guests are available in the balcony overlooking the main dining room. Parties of 75 can reserve the main dining room for dinner or buffet service. The entire restaurant can accommodate seating for 135 guests, or a buffet gathering for 175 with cocktails and appetizers in the intimate lounge. Themed parties can be arranged, as well as audio/visual capabilities, bands, O.K.’s , and special guest lecturers. The Wine Director is also available to hold seminars on the introduction, selection and trends in the Wine Industry. The talented chef and pastry chef can design any menu or item you are looking to serve and pair with that special vintage of wine.
- Private Party Contact: Lucy or Gina 3123324040
- Special Events: We have a special 3 course Prix Fixe Menu for $23.00 per person ( excluding tax and tip) for Lunch only.
We have several Wine Dinners during the year. Please refer to our website for details.
A word from Vivere
Vivere continues to be a Chicago landmark of contemporary Italian cuisine. Operated by the Capitanini family , Vivere has won numerous awards ranging from "Best New Restaurant" Esquire Magazine, DiRona Award , Wine Spectator and Ultimate Distinction by Wine Enthusiast. The Chef incorporates innovative dishes from his yearly travels to the various regions of Italy. A unique tasting menu in addition to the seasonal menu displays the skill and progressive nature of the restaurant. Vivere's swank design, conceptualized by acclaimed designer Jordan Mozer, applies contemporary twists to Baroque designs that are draped in plush velvets and warmed by rich gold tones. Interior Design Magazine has given Vivere its highest honor for restaurant design. Vivere's immense cellar, complete with 45,000 bottles, affords the guest with endless options with the assistance of its Wine Director. The intimate bar makes a great place to enjoy a glass of champagne or a signature drink and antipasti.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Vivere reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
romantic (28)special occasion (25)notable wine list (25)fit for foodies (21)neighborhood gem (10)great for lunch (9)good for groups (8)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (1)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Vivre business lunchLawrenceADined on 9/24/2014This is a good place for a business lunch in the Loop. Good location, good food, good service and the tables are spaced far enough apart to have a conversation.Special Features:
- Good food great wineiwuproDined on 9/13/2014We had a lovely meal. All of our items were delicious and carefully prepared. The wine list is one of the largest in Chicago, and the selection of Italian wines across regions is tremendous. These include some great values.Special Features:
- ExcellentjacksonDined on 8/30/2014Food and service were ten star. Great wine list. Rack of lamb was perfect. Apps were good. Good service. Friendly. Wines were good match. A top Italian choiceSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014I frequently dine at the Italian Village/Vivere Room. I've been doing so for about 40 years. I enjoy the place, the food, and the staff. I would recommend the "Village" to anyone who's looking for a good place to eat in the central Loop area.Special Features:
- LouthelistenerrDined on 8/19/2014Greeted at the door with a smile and by name. Service followed same standards and food was top quality. It was a lunch with a favorite relative but would have been just as perfect if would have been my best client! Soups and salads sound trivial but the savory tomato soup made us our tongues say "hooray" and a house salad cam from a very "special" house, dresses appropriately, and the spinach salad would have pleased even Popeye! Will be back soon for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FavoriteCarolDined on 8/13/2014Vivere never disappoints us. We always eat there when in Chicago. The food is wonderful and the service is exceptional. We always ask for Dane to be our server...he is soooooo great. Also, the decor is so fun.Special Features:
- TiredTiredDined on 8/6/2014The service and people working at the restaurant were very nice and friendly. The food was average. The decor is somewhat dated and it was interesting they sat us in the upper level when the bottom area was not full. It smelled a little old and musty in the upper area.
- Perfect in every wayIndydinerVIPDined on 7/12/2014In all my years of fine dining the pheasant ravioli was one of the top 10 meals I have ever eaten. The 1988 Dominus was incredible as well. Awesome restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great location for theatereasytopleaseDined on 7/12/2014This restaurant is part of Italian Village. Small selection of entrees. Food was just OK for Chicago's great dinning selections, but the location can't be beat for Bank of American theater.
- Theater Goers Beware!!!FoodieGirlDined on 7/11/2014I rarely write reviews, but need to write one tonight. Vivere is NOT the restaurant to go if you have a theater engagement, which is ironic as it is in the theater district. We arrived for our 6:00 pm reservation, making sure the waiter knew we had a 7:30 pm show, which was a 2- minute walk away. We ordered wine (from an excellent list), then a salad to share & 2 entrees. The salad (while it was uniquely good) took 20 minutes to arrive. When the entrees finally arrived after 20-30 minutes more, it was after 7:10 pm (7:12 by my watch), so we had to inhale our food, barely having the chance to taste what could have been a delicious meal. We paid, rushed out, having never eaten such an expensive meal in 8 minutes flat. Not a good experience.
- Never go wrong hereConnieVIPDined on 7/9/2014We've been to Vivere many times and never been disappointed. No wonder they are the longest running Italian restaurant in Chicago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VivereNickiDined on 7/8/2014For pre-theater dining, I would recommend Vivere. They all seemed programmed to give us a nice dining experience while getting us to our show on time. Valet staff was efficient and fast (and $12 seemed like a good price to me). Our food was good and we had a funny, helpful and efficient waiter. Wish I could remember his name! He actually gently talked me out of ordering dessert because he said we probably wouldn't get to the theater on time. He suggested ordering biscotti to take with us. He was absolutely right and I was so grateful!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Pasta and WineEagle779VIPDined on 7/5/2014We had the tagliatelle bolognese and agnolottini. The pastas were superb, perfectly al dente and lightly sauced. The otherwise excellent Caesar salad lacked anchovies. The outstanding wine list had many American and international choices as well as a huge selection of Italian wines, all at generally reasonable prices. Service was efficient and prompt, if not particularly friendly. The menu offers a limited selection of meat, fish and poultry dishes, although they offer several specials in these categories. The decor is a bit dated, but pleasant. Conversation-friendly.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/5/2014The experience was nothing special---decor seems dated, pasta entrees were okay. One exception was the Caprese Salad!! One of the best I have ever had---ripe flavorful tomatoes, fresh basil, lightly roasted onions, perfectly balanced balsamic vinegar and oil!! I'm reliving the experience as I write!! that salad was superb. The seafood with pasta was passable---not very flavorful---tiny scallops, flavorless shrimp. Not one of my favorites, but I would take that salad home any day!!
- Great food experiencewewillllbebackVIPDined on 7/1/2014Early dining here for pre-theater. Our meals, and the service, were very good. Caesar salad was very nice, the in-house dressing made it delicious. Sea scallop's in chili sauce was a bit on the spicy side, but good enough to finish, and if its too spicy the sauce is on the side. The risotto with lump crab and morel mushrooms was also great; full-flavored and filling, very satisfying. The goat cheese and blueberry cheesecake dessert was wonderful; very smooth and flavorful, big enough to split.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceArkieFoodieVIPDined on 6/28/2014We liked Vivere at the Italian Village so well that we would have returned to one of their other restaurants in the same building during our three night stay, but I couldn't get a reservation at a time that worked with our theater tickets. The food was delicious, and our server was polished, experienced, and knowledgable. I did feel that he was a bit rushed/over-busy, which was somewhat distracting. The restaurant is beautifully decorated and romantic. Incredible and well-balanced wine list, with good choices at every price point. Would definitely return. Total bill for one salad (large enough to split), two entrees, and a bottle of wine was $122.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant Italian in LoopengprofVIPDined on 6/27/2014This is one of Chicago's best restaurants, and has been so for a long while. Seriously underestimated by the foodie crowd-- probably because of association with Italian Village. Elegant decor. Very carefully prepared and tasty traditional northern Italian food (NOT tomato-sauce oriented). Excellent courses throughout meal, from anti-pasti to secondi. Best Italian wine list in city-- by far. And not overpriced.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014I've been to the Italian Village (particularly, Vivere) many times. It seldom disappoints.Special Features:
- Excellent!lgrizzleDined on 6/21/2014We got the chef's tasting menu with wine pairings and both the food and pairings were amazing! We will definitely go again next time we are in Chicago. It was a great experience and we have already sent some friends there.Special Features:
- outstanding service!winendineDined on 6/21/2014Fabulous attentive service! Celebrated our anniversary and staff was very attentive and friendly. Definately would return for special occasions again. Food was wonderful, loved the risotto and fish!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite Restaurant.CarolDined on 6/21/2014My husband and I never miss dinning at Vivere when we are in Chicago. The food is great as is the service. Dane is the best server ever. We just love everything .Special Features:
- Nice to be back...bobbDined on 6/21/2014We hadn't been back to Vivere for quite a while and were looking forward to the evening. We moved our departure from home ahead due to a fearsome forecast for highway construction en route and ah approaching severe thunderstorm moving in, and as a result were forty five minutes ahead of our reservation. Not to worry, we were welcomed with customary hospitality and service was paced quite leisurely. The food was just as good as we remembered and our server seemed exceptionally knowledgeable and eager to please. By the time we had completed a very nice meal and dessert, the storm had passed by leaving us dry and mellow. This was the standard we have come to expect from Vivere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Theatre Must eat hereSeasonedDinerDined on 6/19/2014We ate hear before attending MOTOWN, which was only a short walk away. We arrived early (5pm) so we had plenty of time to enjoy each course. Nicholas was extremely attentive without hovering.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/17/2014Despite the hype, Mediocre food in a great setting. The service was decent but i can get better Italian food at Olive Garden. How do you ruin Bolognese sauce at an Italian restaurant?
- won't be backMargeVIPDined on 6/9/2014Three of the four of us had lamb cooked "the way the chef suggested" it was raw, not the medium rare described. One of the plates had lamb that was not even seared just gray. I ordered the pheasant stuffed ravioli - it was smaller than a postage stamp, so there could have been anything stuffed inside, and it was vey dry, think they forgot the sauce. Waiter was sorry about the lamb, that didn't make the meal any better. Won't be going back.
- Special In Every WayDonPVIPDined on 6/7/2014Vivere, under the watchful eye of the third generation of Capitinin's to own and operate the Italian Village complex, has never disappointed us. A Chicago treasure, it is neither pretentious nor ordinary just a wonderful venue for a special evening. We brought sophisticated guests from California this past weekend who could not have been more impressed and we could not have been more pleased. For starters, Geraldo casually answered the guest's question regarding the "wine list" by providing a catalog of the 40,000 bottle collection they house in their "celler"! The chosen wines arrived promptly as did our extraordinary meals customized to the particular taste of each of the diners. A special evening in every way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing mealj2x73Dined on 6/7/2014Had the reasonably-priced chef's tasting menu, with wine pairing, and it was out of this world. Far exceeded expectations. The wine list is extensive, the service top-notch. A great meal. Can't wait to go back next time I'm in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 958 reviews are from the Vivere reviews archive.
- Great tasting menuTheWolfsVIPDined on 5/24/2014We dined here after a broadway show and really enjoyed our meal. We had the tasting menu and the menu was created for us by the chef. He came out and talked with us about our preferences. Four people dined and 2 people got the same dish and the other 2 a different dish so we could sample a few things. We were pleasantly surprised about the meal--would definitely go back here. The wine pairings were also great.Special Features:
- Just Keeps Getting Better!AndyDined on 5/23/2014Been coming here for years and it just keeps getting better. They never slack off - food and service are always top notch!!Special Features:
- Convenient to Chase AuditoriumLSFChicGoDined on 5/22/2014The food here was good, but the place just didn't do it for me. Perhaps it was the overdone decor in need of updating. My veal chop, which was very expensive, was tough and bland, despite the mushroom sauce. The salad was conventional. Nothing said this place is great, except that it's convenient for "Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me" tapings.
- Romantic anniversary outingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/19/2014We had a nice evening of dining and walking down to millenium park. My wife loved her salad that they were able to add chicken to making it very delicious. My steak was less appealing, but was good. I think I didn't like the way it was prepared, but it was acceptable. I am more of a NY strip traditionalist in that regardSpecial Features:
- excelentenriqueDined on 5/17/2014one of the best restaurants ever visited...everything was remarcable...congratulations..!!!Special Features:
- Terribly understaffedfoodisloveDined on 5/17/2014The food is great (albeit fairly small portions) however the service is so terrible that it is in no way worth paying the hefty prices. We waited over an hour to get our food and 20 minutes afterwards to bring the check. With so many good italian options in the city, there's no reason to come here.
- Very upscaleNoodlesDined on 5/14/2014I've been to the Italian Village many times, at all three levels. Vivere is upscale and great for lunch for special occasions.Special Features:
- Business entertainingcitylunchDined on 5/13/2014Excellent atmosphere for business entertaining, delicious food, fast and efficient serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbMarieVIPDined on 5/12/2014The food is superb, the wine list is extensive and quite interesting, the service is attentive in the European style, and the setting is stunning. Absolutely top notch!Special Features:
- Top Notch all the wayChiBeriaVIPDined on 5/12/2014Always the perfect spot for business lunch. You can depend on it on its excellenceSpecial Features:
- Superior ServiceMuzik1002Dined on 5/10/2014Great delicious food and varied menu. Warm and relaxed atmosphere. Excellent and timely service. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/7/2014My husband and I had lunch there to celebrate closing our home. I had a selection from their Prixe Fixe menu. Awful.. small portion, would have been ok if salmon and cod had been delicious! The salmon was hard and the cod was completely bland and hard. No flavor. The salad was much better, it didn't redeem meal though.Special Features:
- Don't go with a vegan...LoneVeganVIPDined on 5/3/2014The menu is very heavy on cheese and butter so is not vegan friendly. I was told to order one of the meat/fish entrées and they would take out the meat product, but the prices were very high for any suitable options and I was concerned because cheese was a major component of all the suitable dishes. I asked for just pasta and vegetables, but was given only one option - a veggie risotto. It tasted fine, but the price was $29 - one of the highest prices on the menu. It definitely was not worth more than the chicken dish of my companion, which was $22.Special Features: