4 East 46th St.
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vitaenyc.com/
- Phone: 2126823562
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Edwin Bellanco
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Vitae offers an exceptional private dining space for any occasion. Overlooking the main dining room, the second story mezzanine provides a chic and trendy way to entertain. From Cocktail receptions to fully coursed lunch and dinners, it is the perfect place to host a party. The Mezzanine can accommodate up to 40 people for a cocktail party and up to 30 people for a private lunch or dinner.
The entire restaurant is also available for private functions. For more information please contact Lesley Malorni at (212) 682-3562 or email@example.com.
- Private Party Contact: Lesley Malorni 2126823562
A word from Vitae
Vitae, a contemporary American restaurant, offers a sophisticated yet approachable experience with genuine hospitality lying at the heart of everything we do. Our seasonal menu features a hearty selection of house-made pastas, and entrée choices using the best ingredients from New York City's finest purveyors. To complement our cuisine, Vitae offers an international wine list, with more than 20 selections by the glass, as well as a full bar and creative cocktail menu. We look forward to meeting you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Vitae reviews from OpenTable diners
131 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (76)neighborhood gem (45)special occasion (43)romantic (33)great for lunch (31)good for groups (22)hot spot (19)notable wine list (18)vibrant bar scene (11)late-night find (6)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great new spot in midyownLagourmandeVIPDined on 10/17/2014Great food anf fum environment in midtown. Nice wine list & innovative dishes. Not super crowded. So glad Vitae is here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/11/2014We had a big group; excellent service, good food, very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodkumitemonkeyDined on 10/11/2014We had a great dining experience at Vitae. The food was excellent and staff were very attentive. Thank you for the great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findKABHDined on 10/7/2014Vitae was a perfect fit for pre-theater. Food, service, and wine were excellent. Very friendly feel with a few items as "compliments from the Chef." First time there and will return for sure. They make every effort for an enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceRobAndJeanneVIPDined on 9/30/2014I've been here lots of times for dinner but came for lunch with a friend. The generous prix-fixe menu offered a delicious peach salad, tasty seafood crepe and a delicious panna cotta. The nice thing here is that they always toss in a special treat -- this time a nice gazpacho. The surprise that I always am bowled away by are the delicious rolls -- yes, rolls... made with duck fat! Can't beat them. - Rob & JeanneSpecial Features:
- Excellent Grand Central ChoiceKonacallahansVIPDined on 9/26/2014We had a great dinner before catching a show. The restaurant is contemporary and the cuisine was excellent. The waitstaff was friendly, knowledgeable, and efficient. My only complaint was the limited wine list, but if you're a cocktail person, the bartenders are great and can make just about anything.Special Features:
- OasisAlexVIPDined on 9/19/2014We were looking for a restaurant near Grand Central, and Vitae had good reviews. We were seated upstairs which is a relatively quiet oasis of comfort and good food. All dishes were well prepared including pork schnitzel and Cajun shrimp risotto. Service was friendly but lacked some professionalism one would expect from a restaurant of this quality. F2 wine was an excellent choice. Prices on the high side, but you get a quality experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Original foodSundayVIPDined on 9/17/2014The food was inventive and great. Really fun to eat. Wonderful service. Loved it. Have already booked to go back with more people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jsalVIPDined on 9/16/2014Went here for dinner. We tried the pear salad (excellent), foie gras appetizer (excellent), pork schnitzel (good), shrimp risotto (fair), and affogato (very good). The meal came with yummy bread with duck fat, amuse bouche, palate cleanser, and petit fours. Service was friendly but not very attentive. The place was nice.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprising FindmellemelDined on 9/16/2014Great food and service, just as the Yelp reviews promised. We left full and happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vitae is amazingfoodie718Dined on 9/13/2014The service was by far the best service I have ever received at a restaurant. The waiters are extremely knowledgable and attentive and the food was so rich. I highly recommend this restaurant for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/12/2014The food was outstanding. The service was exceptional. The restaurant design is attractive. The ambiance is romantic with a slightly retro feel to it. I would definitely return and recommend it to my friends as a venue for great dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best service in MidtownFoodieVIPDined on 9/12/2014What a rare find for an early Friday night dinner. The place was quiet and relaxed. We were greeted by a wonderful waiter and the manager. From complimentary warm bread to the final farewell cookie, every dish was perfect and beautifully presented. I will definitely go backSpecial Features:
- Memorable!NancyVIPDined on 9/10/2014Eating alone was a pleasure. The pork schnitzel, Brussels sprouts and accompaniments were so perfectly cooked and seasoned, I am still remembering the fabulous flavors. Warm ambiance and outstanding service - a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BostonbeefeaterDined on 9/10/2014The room was a typical New York shape - long, narrow, bar at front to the side. A modernistic decor that I found to be less than inspiring. The menu was not extensive but had an interesting combination of tasting plates and entrees. I had a good, innovative risotto that included an interesting combination of ingredients - corn, bacon, etc. Very tasty and satisfying. My dinner partner had large scallops that were also very good. We shared a tomato and mozzarella salad. Good selection of wine by the glass. The service was excellent with just the right level of attention and a knowledgeable, courteous waitress who was not obtrusive. Not outstanding but has its strengths.
- RSRMDined on 9/6/2014Fantastic service and food. Very fair price point. Attractive bar area. Quiet on weekends as it's in MidTown (business area).Special Features:
- Vitae NYCDixieDined on 9/5/2014We reserved a VERY early table at 5:30pm, in order to get to a play later that evening. The service was friendly and apt, the menus (both food and drinks) were appealing, and the food was quite tasty. We had a great time. Kudos, Vitae!Special Features:
- Deliciousjuds18VIPDined on 9/4/2014Great place in the area! would definitely go back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/30/2014First tim to eat here. the ambience was wonderful, service was excellent and food was also excellent. Very comfortable, quiet easy to converse with guests. Would absolutely recommend this restaurant and will returnSpecial Features:
- accommodating addl personOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/21/2014late add to our headcount -- you would think a midtown restaurant with an 8p reservation would be accommodating and appreciative but hostess treated the issue as a significant inconvenience. i could appreciate the concern if the restaurant was crazy busy for the next 3 hours but it was obvious that no more turnover was anticipated, by 10p the place was nearly empty.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014We went there for our last night in NYC after 15 days in the city. We took the chef's 4 course meal with pairing wines. The food was very good (burito & scallops are recommended). The wines were wonderful and matched perfectly. By far our best meal during our stay. Don' t tell anyone, it is not yet crowded and still very cosy. The place to go !Special Features:
- Random lunch. Awesome lunch.EEsDadVIPDined on 8/18/2014We were in Manhattan on a whim. The restaurant was the most promising near us on the opentable app. Husband and I had the prix fixe lunch with wine. Our server, who tended bar, was quite knowledgable and super pleasant. The food was excellent and they did a fantastic job catering to our 7 year old (veal/ricotta meatball sliders are really good). The food and wine parings worked well. I will happily return on my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it wasDannyVIPDined on 8/15/2014I discovered Vitae around this time last year and was surprised that such a good restaurant had been sitting under our noses in Midtown. I went back this afternoon for another business lunch and was disappointed with the food, and very disappointed with the service. Not sure if something changed or if they just had an off day, but I probably won't be back again to find out.
- Alarm system: unprofessionalUnprofessionalVIPDined on 8/12/2014HARSH, piercing noise: the alarm system was going off during our whole meal, accompanied by uncomfortable strobing exit lights. The fire department came, with axes in hand, surveyed the scene and did not leave for a long period of time. Patrons were not exited out, however the staff merely kept on apologizing. A professional, inviting level of hospitality was severely lacking. The way they handled the situation was unacceptable.
- Excellent little placelondondubaiVIPDined on 8/8/2014We booked this restaurant on the basis of the good reviews it had and were not disappointed. We had the tomato salad, peach salad, agnolotti and halibut and were impressed with our dishes. Service was lovely and attentive, frequently checking whether we enjoyed our meal. We ordered sides and when our main dishes arrived the waiter told us he had put them through a little bit late, he was going to take them off he bill but they were just being prepared. In fact, a few minutes later our delicious sides arrived. We felt a bit sorry that the restaurant was only half full as it is a very nice place and deserves to do well.
- Four Square7thSxDined on 8/7/2014Great meal, with perfectly cooked and presented food. Helpful staff and ideal location in Manhattan. On the noisy side for comfortable conversation but no louder than many NY restaurants, it seems that this is the way New Yorkers prefer it.Special Features:
- theclaVIPDined on 8/4/2014Loved it! Better or equal food than many of NYC high end and reputed places, including Per Se, John George, Le Bernadin, Del Posto.... Almost don't want to give it such a high rating because I don't want too many people to know about it!Special Features:
- Very good dinner!SuzicakesVIPDined on 8/4/2014The food, atmosphere and service was wonderful. I would definitely return - in fact I am looking forward to it!
- First timeFoodieVIPDined on 8/4/2014We were very impressed with the quality and presentation of the food. I had the lamb dish which was cooked to perfection and very tasty. My friend ordered the beef entree which she thoroughly enjoyed as well. Our server was extremely knowledgeable about the menu items and answered all of our numerous questions with patience. I will return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed everythingBeedubVIPDined on 8/2/2014We had a great meal at Vitae, and we tried 6 different items on the menu. Love the fact that you can get smaller portions of pasta. Great service too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/30/2014I found this as a random search for a place to go for dinner with an old boss who was in town staying in the mid-town area. The food was excellent, service was great, and the place is beautiful. Definitely recommend this!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/30/2014Ambiance and service were very good; however, we were not impressed by the food. Had the Octopus appetizer which was bland and had a unpalatable black dye or sauce. For my Lamb dish they used good cuts of meat but the sauce was not appealing at all.
- Can't wait to go backOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/28/2014Had the prix fixe lunch and each dish was delicious. Beautiful presentation, generous portions, doting staff. We can't wait to get back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice find in midtownOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014We've been looking for good restaurants near our office. Luckily Vitae opened up. I've now been for lunch and dinner and have been pleased each time. I'll definitely consider it when looking for dining in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for business lunchBigDinNYCVIPDined on 7/21/2014The menu is a little expensive, but the food was very good.Special Features:
- Nice atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/19/2014The restaurant was really trendy. The chef sent out multiple sample dishes. We ordered an appetizer, 2 entrees, and one side, the side dish was not great, but the staff was really friendly and took it off of our bill and apligized. They split the dishes we were sharing. Would go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sophisticated tastes, worth the $philbeyDined on 7/19/2014The meal started with freshly baked bread with an interesting salted crust, and an amuse bouche of gelatin-encapsulated watermelon. For appetizers we had an excellent arugula and mizune salad with white anchovie and nuts, and spectacular fried oysters with fennel and aioli. For main courses we had duck, which included a confit leg,and p ork schnitzel perfectly cooked with interesting side dishes: apricot jam, cucumber salad, and warm potato salad. For dessert, we only had room for the sorbet, which were intense berries. There were complimentary petit fours, and two wrapped-up chocolate cookies given to us as we walked out. With two glasses of wine and tax, it was $140. Pricey, but really worth it, in our opinion.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014We were coming from out of town and found Vitae through open table. The location was the perfect fit to our Broadway evening plans, and the restaurant did not disappoint. My girlfriend and I were very surprised to have several small treats brought out by the chef throughout the night, including cookies on the way out of the restaurant - they were small (though very delicious) gestures, but it made our night that much more memorable. All of our choices: the pulled pork tacos, duck entree, pork schnitzel, and panna cotta were all freshly made and very full of flavour. Overall Vitae was a great experience, and we would highly recommend it to friends and family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous New York find!!FabFindDined on 7/18/2014We enjoyed the ambiance, the food was fabulous, and it was very easy to get to because of it's great location. We personally met chef Ed Bianco and we were treated to a tour as well as many small samplings. In a city as impersonal as New York, you get the feeling that this is a great neighborhood find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/17/2014This was my first time dining at Vitae. The space is beautiful and airy. Service was attentive. And 2 out of my 3 courses (appetizer - grilled peach salad; and dessert- strawberry tart) were very good. BUT my entree (a seafood crepe) was flavorless and cold on the inside. I was there for a business lunch so I didn't want to say anything at the time, but it was really disappointing. I would have conisdered this place to be a great "find" for business lunches, if only the food was consistent. Hopefully my experience was an exception.