4 East 46th St.
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vitaenyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 682-3562
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Edwin Bellanco
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Vitae offers an exceptional private dining space for any occasion. Overlooking the main dining room, the second story mezzanine provides a chic and trendy way to entertain. From Cocktail receptions to fully coursed lunch and dinners, it is the perfect place to host a party. The Mezzanine can accommodate up to 40 people for a cocktail party and up to 30 people for a private lunch or dinner.
The entire restaurant is also available for private functions. For more information please contact Lesley Malorni at (212) 682-3562 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Private Party Contact: Lesley Malorni 2126823562
A word from Vitae
Vitae, a contemporary American restaurant, offers a sophisticated yet approachable experience with genuine hospitality lying at the heart of everything we do. Our seasonal menu features a hearty selection of house-made pastas, and entrée choices using the best ingredients from New York City's finest purveyors. To complement our cuisine, Vitae offers an international wine list, with more than 20 selections by the glass, as well as a full bar and creative cocktail menu. We look forward to meeting you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Vitae reviews from OpenTable diners
141 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (89)neighborhood gem (55)special occasion (52)great for lunch (36)romantic (36)good for groups (30)notable wine list (24)hot spot (19)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (6)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Nice night!LilyhillVIPDined on 11/22/2014We loved Vitae. It's a nice place for a pre-theatre meal, but it's not on Restaurant Row (yay!). We had a couple of drinks, appetizers, and entrees and were happy with everything we ordered. (Butternut squash risotto and the divers scallops were both especially great.) The service was attentive without being intrusive, and we loved the cookie we were handed as we exited the restaurant. Nice touch! Only small complaint: tables are close together and it can get noisy. That said, we'll return for another visit.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable Service!Chef5Dined on 11/19/2014Food and service were great. We made a special request for a very quiet table as one of our guests had trouble hearing. We were perfectly accommodated. Lovely experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Midtown escapeLDNYCVIPDined on 11/18/2014Vitae's inviting, relaxed downtown feel stands out amongst the typical unapproachable, chaotic environs of midtown Manhattan. The food is exceptional in both execution and flavor. Standout dishes include the signature scallops w curry, octopus carpaccio, chestnut agnolotti, foie gras with plums, fried oysters, and duck breast. In short, almost everything we ordered. Albeit not an inexpensive meal, Vitae is a welcome departure from midtown mediocrity, and the quality of the meal merits the pricetag.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A complete restaurant experienceMH6789Dined on 11/15/2014Vitae is a great restaurant. Amazing food, gorgeous plating, and wonderful wine pairings are all prepared by a staff who focuses on you and your entire experience. It is high-end without being stuffy or over complicated. The tables are NOT crowded together so you have room to have your own conversation, not your neighbors. From the moment you walk into the restaurant the craziness of mid-town dials back to a controlled energetic vibe. But more importantly, you are immediately welcomed with an open, professional courtesy which extends throughout the entire dining experience. The highest quality ingredients are combined creatively to build complex flavor profiles. Quality preparation completes the dish. The duck breast was served 2 ways both prepared perfectly with a crisp skin, that left the soft layer underneath moist and succulent and the breast itself was an ideal medium rare. That sounds simple but its not. I've been to Vitae several times and all were great which underscores their consistency.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner/Lunch at VitaeLizaDined on 11/15/2014Excellent food, interesting and well presented dishes, fantastic, attentive service. Lighting was great, ambiance very pleasant. Nice touch with few extras from the chef, including delicious mango soda and small desserts, even wrapped cookie to go when we were leaving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting business dinner spotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/10/2014Different from all the other standard business dinner spots in midtown. Good service, good wine selection, interesting options and food options for vegetarians, steak and fish eaters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- high expectations metOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014The food was excellent. My beef was a little overcooked which is the only thing holding back a 5 star rating. Best ive had was heard at our table in regards to the foi gras, halibut and "old fashioned" cocktail. Our server was highly knowledgeable about the menu as well. Would go again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious business lunchmashezDined on 11/6/2014A bright and energetic space with delicious food. Great for a business lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth itHarryDined on 11/4/2014I had lunch on November 4th with 2 business associates. The food was good but very pricey. If my company wasn't picking up the tab I would not choose the restaurant. I had the salad with chicken. The portion was too small especially for the price. The temperature in the restaurant was very warm and unconfortable. I sat at an upstairs table in the cushioned bench seats against the wall which were comfortable but the back of the bench was too short and not comfortable to lean back against and I had to keep adjusting the back cushion to try and get comfortable. I know they're trying to be trendy and for a select clientel but appetizers and lunch for 3 should not cost $200 with tip.
- Exceptional neighborhood find!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014So glad we took others recommendations and tried Vitae. It was exceptional, loved the scallop dish (chef special), lamb, risotto appetizer. Service was fantastic! We went early in time to make an 8 pm show and our waiter asked immediately what time schedule we were on. The bread served was delicious, shared risotto appetizer, chef sent complimentary squash soup tasting, main dishes of scallops, lamb, very very tasty. Then complimentary coconut mini soda bottles arrived, we enjoyed the apple tart for dessert, and once again complimentary tiny cookies came! So many nice attentive measures added to the exceptional, interesting flavors of our dinners. Wished this restaurant was in our neighborhood! Will definitely come back next time in NYC.Special Features:
- Great ServiceTuxdoeswhattuxwantsDined on 10/31/2014Had an excellent experience. All the staff were amazing. Went off the waitresses recommendations and paid off. Wine and food were amazing. Highly recommend for a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but overpricedBourbon4allVIPDined on 10/31/2014I was tasked with selecting a restaurant close to Grand Central Station and I found Vitae on Open Table. When I first walked in, the space looked nice, but there was VERY INAPPROPRIATE music blaring. Fortunately, the manager agreed to turn down the volume. While the food was good, the prices were very high for the portions and quality. The best thing about it was that the 5 of us who dined together were able to hear each other.Special Features:
- Fabulous Midtown Manhattan Findcbr0117Dined on 10/28/2014Inviting ambiance, great for romantic, informal or business dinner. Very attentive but unobtrusive team approach to serving tables, we never wanted for anything. Lively bar, intimate feeling dining room and 2nd level room for a private party. Their seasonal menu offered a wide variety of options, we can recommend the risotto, trout and don't miss the Scallops!!! The Lemon Panna Cotta was the perfect ending! This is a MUST DO if in Manhattan!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great every time!MB123Dined on 10/23/2014I love this restaurant. Moments from Grand Central one finds a terrific spot - excellent food, wonderful service, and a great bartender!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/22/2014I went to Vitae twice in one week! a real find in midtown.Special Features:
- Good experience1slyDined on 10/21/2014We were visiting the City and wanted to try new restaurants. Vitae was a perfect choice; our waiter could not have been more helpful and the food we chose was perfect.Special Features:
- Great new spot in midyownLagourmandeVIPDined on 10/17/2014Great food anf fum environment in midtown. Nice wine list & innovative dishes. Not super crowded. So glad Vitae is here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/11/2014We had a big group; excellent service, good food, very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodkumitemonkeyDined on 10/11/2014We had a great dining experience at Vitae. The food was excellent and staff were very attentive. Thank you for the great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findKABHDined on 10/7/2014Vitae was a perfect fit for pre-theater. Food, service, and wine were excellent. Very friendly feel with a few items as "compliments from the Chef." First time there and will return for sure. They make every effort for an enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceRobAndJeanneVIPDined on 9/30/2014I've been here lots of times for dinner but came for lunch with a friend. The generous prix-fixe menu offered a delicious peach salad, tasty seafood crepe and a delicious panna cotta. The nice thing here is that they always toss in a special treat -- this time a nice gazpacho. The surprise that I always am bowled away by are the delicious rolls -- yes, rolls... made with duck fat! Can't beat them. - Rob & JeanneSpecial Features:
- Excellent Grand Central ChoiceKonacallahansVIPDined on 9/26/2014We had a great dinner before catching a show. The restaurant is contemporary and the cuisine was excellent. The waitstaff was friendly, knowledgeable, and efficient. My only complaint was the limited wine list, but if you're a cocktail person, the bartenders are great and can make just about anything.Special Features:
- OasisAlexVIPDined on 9/19/2014We were looking for a restaurant near Grand Central, and Vitae had good reviews. We were seated upstairs which is a relatively quiet oasis of comfort and good food. All dishes were well prepared including pork schnitzel and Cajun shrimp risotto. Service was friendly but lacked some professionalism one would expect from a restaurant of this quality. F2 wine was an excellent choice. Prices on the high side, but you get a quality experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Original foodSundayVIPDined on 9/17/2014The food was inventive and great. Really fun to eat. Wonderful service. Loved it. Have already booked to go back with more people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jsalVIPDined on 9/16/2014Went here for dinner. We tried the pear salad (excellent), foie gras appetizer (excellent), pork schnitzel (good), shrimp risotto (fair), and affogato (very good). The meal came with yummy bread with duck fat, amuse bouche, palate cleanser, and petit fours. Service was friendly but not very attentive. The place was nice.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprising FindmellemelDined on 9/16/2014Great food and service, just as the Yelp reviews promised. We left full and happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vitae is amazingfoodie718Dined on 9/13/2014The service was by far the best service I have ever received at a restaurant. The waiters are extremely knowledgable and attentive and the food was so rich. I highly recommend this restaurant for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/12/2014The food was outstanding. The service was exceptional. The restaurant design is attractive. The ambiance is romantic with a slightly retro feel to it. I would definitely return and recommend it to my friends as a venue for great dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best service in MidtownFoodieVIPDined on 9/12/2014What a rare find for an early Friday night dinner. The place was quiet and relaxed. We were greeted by a wonderful waiter and the manager. From complimentary warm bread to the final farewell cookie, every dish was perfect and beautifully presented. I will definitely go backSpecial Features:
- Memorable!NancyVIPDined on 9/10/2014Eating alone was a pleasure. The pork schnitzel, Brussels sprouts and accompaniments were so perfectly cooked and seasoned, I am still remembering the fabulous flavors. Warm ambiance and outstanding service - a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BostonbeefeaterDined on 9/10/2014The room was a typical New York shape - long, narrow, bar at front to the side. A modernistic decor that I found to be less than inspiring. The menu was not extensive but had an interesting combination of tasting plates and entrees. I had a good, innovative risotto that included an interesting combination of ingredients - corn, bacon, etc. Very tasty and satisfying. My dinner partner had large scallops that were also very good. We shared a tomato and mozzarella salad. Good selection of wine by the glass. The service was excellent with just the right level of attention and a knowledgeable, courteous waitress who was not obtrusive. Not outstanding but has its strengths.
- RSRMDined on 9/6/2014Fantastic service and food. Very fair price point. Attractive bar area. Quiet on weekends as it's in MidTown (business area).Special Features:
- Vitae NYCDixieDined on 9/5/2014We reserved a VERY early table at 5:30pm, in order to get to a play later that evening. The service was friendly and apt, the menus (both food and drinks) were appealing, and the food was quite tasty. We had a great time. Kudos, Vitae!Special Features:
- Deliciousjuds18VIPDined on 9/4/2014Great place in the area! would definitely go back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for lunchMikeVIPDined on 9/3/2014A great spot for a high end business lunch. Very pretty restraint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/30/2014First tim to eat here. the ambience was wonderful, service was excellent and food was also excellent. Very comfortable, quiet easy to converse with guests. Would absolutely recommend this restaurant and will returnSpecial Features:
- accommodating addl personOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/21/2014late add to our headcount -- you would think a midtown restaurant with an 8p reservation would be accommodating and appreciative but hostess treated the issue as a significant inconvenience. i could appreciate the concern if the restaurant was crazy busy for the next 3 hours but it was obvious that no more turnover was anticipated, by 10p the place was nearly empty.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014We went there for our last night in NYC after 15 days in the city. We took the chef's 4 course meal with pairing wines. The food was very good (burito & scallops are recommended). The wines were wonderful and matched perfectly. By far our best meal during our stay. Don' t tell anyone, it is not yet crowded and still very cosy. The place to go !Special Features:
- Random lunch. Awesome lunch.EEsDadVIPDined on 8/18/2014We were in Manhattan on a whim. The restaurant was the most promising near us on the opentable app. Husband and I had the prix fixe lunch with wine. Our server, who tended bar, was quite knowledgable and super pleasant. The food was excellent and they did a fantastic job catering to our 7 year old (veal/ricotta meatball sliders are really good). The food and wine parings worked well. I will happily return on my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it wasDannyVIPDined on 8/15/2014I discovered Vitae around this time last year and was surprised that such a good restaurant had been sitting under our noses in Midtown. I went back this afternoon for another business lunch and was disappointed with the food, and very disappointed with the service. Not sure if something changed or if they just had an off day, but I probably won't be back again to find out.