4 East 46th St.
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vitaenyc.com/
- Phone: 2126823562
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Edwin Bellanco
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Vitae offers an exceptional private dining space for any occasion. Overlooking the main dining room, the second story mezzanine provides a chic and trendy way to entertain. From Cocktail receptions to fully coursed lunch and dinners, it is the perfect place to host a party. The Mezzanine can accommodate up to 40 people for a cocktail party and up to 30 people for a private lunch or dinner.
The entire restaurant is also available for private functions. For more information please contact Lesley Malorni at (212) 682-3562 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Private Party Contact: Lesley Malorni 2126823562
A word from Vitae
Vitae, a contemporary American restaurant, offers a sophisticated yet approachable experience with genuine hospitality lying at the heart of everything we do. Our seasonal menu features a hearty selection of house-made pastas, and entrée choices using the best ingredients from New York City's finest purveyors. To complement our cuisine, Vitae offers an international wine list, with more than 20 selections by the glass, as well as a full bar and creative cocktail menu. We look forward to meeting you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Vitae reviews from OpenTable diners
148 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (89)special occasion (47)neighborhood gem (46)romantic (42)great for lunch (35)good for groups (23)notable wine list (20)hot spot (18)vibrant bar scene (10)great for brunch (6)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- accommodating addl personOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/21/2014late add to our headcount -- you would think a midtown restaurant with an 8p reservation would be accommodating and appreciative but hostess treated the issue as a significant inconvenience. i could appreciate the concern if the restaurant was crazy busy for the next 3 hours but it was obvious that no more turnover was anticipated, by 10p the place was nearly empty.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014We went there for our last night in NYC after 15 days in the city. We took the chef's 4 course meal with pairing wines. The food was very good (burito & scallops are recommended). The wines were wonderful and matched perfectly. By far our best meal during our stay. Don' t tell anyone, it is not yet crowded and still very cosy. The place to go !Special Features:
- Random lunch. Awesome lunch.EEsDadVIPDined on 8/18/2014We were in Manhattan on a whim. The restaurant was the most promising near us on the opentable app. Husband and I had the prix fixe lunch with wine. Our server, who tended bar, was quite knowledgable and super pleasant. The food was excellent and they did a fantastic job catering to our 7 year old (veal/ricotta meatball sliders are really good). The food and wine parings worked well. I will happily return on my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it wasDannyVIPDined on 8/15/2014I discovered Vitae around this time last year and was surprised that such a good restaurant had been sitting under our noses in Midtown. I went back this afternoon for another business lunch and was disappointed with the food, and very disappointed with the service. Not sure if something changed or if they just had an off day, but I probably won't be back again to find out.
- Alarm system: unprofessionalUnprofessionalVIPDined on 8/12/2014HARSH, piercing noise: the alarm system was going off during our whole meal, accompanied by uncomfortable strobing exit lights. The fire department came, with axes in hand, surveyed the scene and did not leave for a long period of time. Patrons were not exited out, however the staff merely kept on apologizing. A professional, inviting level of hospitality was severely lacking. The way they handled the situation was unacceptable.
- Excellent little placelondondubaiVIPDined on 8/8/2014We booked this restaurant on the basis of the good reviews it had and were not disappointed. We had the tomato salad, peach salad, agnolotti and halibut and were impressed with our dishes. Service was lovely and attentive, frequently checking whether we enjoyed our meal. We ordered sides and when our main dishes arrived the waiter told us he had put them through a little bit late, he was going to take them off he bill but they were just being prepared. In fact, a few minutes later our delicious sides arrived. We felt a bit sorry that the restaurant was only half full as it is a very nice place and deserves to do well.
- Four Square7thSxDined on 8/7/2014Great meal, with perfectly cooked and presented food. Helpful staff and ideal location in Manhattan. On the noisy side for comfortable conversation but no louder than many NY restaurants, it seems that this is the way New Yorkers prefer it.Special Features:
- theclaVIPDined on 8/4/2014Loved it! Better or equal food than many of NYC high end and reputed places, including Per Se, John George, Le Bernadin, Del Posto.... Almost don't want to give it such a high rating because I don't want too many people to know about it!Special Features:
- First timeFoodieVIPDined on 8/4/2014We were very impressed with the quality and presentation of the food. I had the lamb dish which was cooked to perfection and very tasty. My friend ordered the beef entree which she thoroughly enjoyed as well. Our server was extremely knowledgeable about the menu items and answered all of our numerous questions with patience. I will return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed everythingBeedubVIPDined on 8/2/2014We had a great meal at Vitae, and we tried 6 different items on the menu. Love the fact that you can get smaller portions of pasta. Great service too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/30/2014I found this as a random search for a place to go for dinner with an old boss who was in town staying in the mid-town area. The food was excellent, service was great, and the place is beautiful. Definitely recommend this!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/30/2014Ambiance and service were very good; however, we were not impressed by the food. Had the Octopus appetizer which was bland and had a unpalatable black dye or sauce. For my Lamb dish they used good cuts of meat but the sauce was not appealing at all.
- Can't wait to go backOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/28/2014Had the prix fixe lunch and each dish was delicious. Beautiful presentation, generous portions, doting staff. We can't wait to get back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice find in midtownOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014We've been looking for good restaurants near our office. Luckily Vitae opened up. I've now been for lunch and dinner and have been pleased each time. I'll definitely consider it when looking for dining in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for business lunchBigDinNYCVIPDined on 7/21/2014The menu is a little expensive, but the food was very good.Special Features:
- Nice atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/19/2014The restaurant was really trendy. The chef sent out multiple sample dishes. We ordered an appetizer, 2 entrees, and one side, the side dish was not great, but the staff was really friendly and took it off of our bill and apligized. They split the dishes we were sharing. Would go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sophisticated tastes, worth the $philbeyDined on 7/19/2014The meal started with freshly baked bread with an interesting salted crust, and an amuse bouche of gelatin-encapsulated watermelon. For appetizers we had an excellent arugula and mizune salad with white anchovie and nuts, and spectacular fried oysters with fennel and aioli. For main courses we had duck, which included a confit leg,and p ork schnitzel perfectly cooked with interesting side dishes: apricot jam, cucumber salad, and warm potato salad. For dessert, we only had room for the sorbet, which were intense berries. There were complimentary petit fours, and two wrapped-up chocolate cookies given to us as we walked out. With two glasses of wine and tax, it was $140. Pricey, but really worth it, in our opinion.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014We were coming from out of town and found Vitae through open table. The location was the perfect fit to our Broadway evening plans, and the restaurant did not disappoint. My girlfriend and I were very surprised to have several small treats brought out by the chef throughout the night, including cookies on the way out of the restaurant - they were small (though very delicious) gestures, but it made our night that much more memorable. All of our choices: the pulled pork tacos, duck entree, pork schnitzel, and panna cotta were all freshly made and very full of flavour. Overall Vitae was a great experience, and we would highly recommend it to friends and family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous New York find!!FabFindDined on 7/18/2014We enjoyed the ambiance, the food was fabulous, and it was very easy to get to because of it's great location. We personally met chef Ed Bianco and we were treated to a tour as well as many small samplings. In a city as impersonal as New York, you get the feeling that this is a great neighborhood find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/17/2014This was my first time dining at Vitae. The space is beautiful and airy. Service was attentive. And 2 out of my 3 courses (appetizer - grilled peach salad; and dessert- strawberry tart) were very good. BUT my entree (a seafood crepe) was flavorless and cold on the inside. I was there for a business lunch so I didn't want to say anything at the time, but it was really disappointing. I would have conisdered this place to be a great "find" for business lunches, if only the food was consistent. Hopefully my experience was an exception.
- What is it?OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/16/2014A restaurant? A lounge? A bar? The food is good, the seating comfortable and the drinks imaginative. However, they don't seem to come together. The schnitzel, crudo, and scallops were all very good. The lamb was tasty but the bed of farro on which it sat was a bit gluey. The service was very solicitous regarding food allergies, but otherwise a bit inattentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/14/2014On the recommendation of friends and family, my wife and I made our way into Manhattan to try Vitae. It was excellent! From the moment we walked in the door until we were given a "to go" homemade cookie, the service was warm, gracious and impeccable. My wife had the Sangria which she stated was outstanding. We did the Chef's tasting which was wonderful. Our waiter asked about food allergies and then what we liked -and did not like- so our tasting could be tailored to our desires. The highlights were the Crispy pork belly, scallops, pork tacos and pasta varieties. All unique and all delicious. I highly and enthusiastically recommend Vitae! Great for lunch, dinner or drinks and a nosh. Classy staff, contemporary decor and incredible food.Special Features:
- Very good choice near Bryant ParkluvfoodDined on 7/11/2014We needed a place near the hotel and found Vitae. The menu has variety and is interesting. Not your average pastas and steak. I had a very delicious trout with smoked fennel. My husband was pleased with the pasta with lamb sausage and broccoli rabe. The bar's special old-fashioned cocktail was excellent. Servers were very personable, attentive and helpful, not intrusive. The atmosphere was quiet and I felt we could take all the time we wanted. Overall a very good experience.Special Features:
- Nice eveningTHAIIIDined on 7/10/2014Very good food. Enjoyed all from appetizer to desert. Great cocktails. Our service was just perfect, comfortable yet professional. Only negative is the place is looking a little worn. Ask to be seated upstairs if you would like more intimate evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedvitatenogoVIPDined on 7/5/2014We were excited to try Vitae and were rather disappointed with the experience. Our waiter was professional and knew her stuff. She was helpful with the wine list. The rest of the staff lacked professionalism. They started mopping the floors around us before 10pm. And, they kept dropping the mop so it hit the floor loudly. We all took that as a clear sign that they wanted us out. We were stunned.
- Very surprisedMattyhsVIPDined on 7/2/2014Somewhat unassuming from the outside, but very pretty inside. Excellent, creative food. Having passed this place numerous times, I was shocked at how good this place is, and right off of 5th Avenue. Will definitely be back. Great business lunch place.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/1/2014Food's good. Tries to be a little too precious. Atmosphere lacking, thought I was back inthe seventies.
- A "foodie" find near Grand CentralBarbfromDobbsDined on 6/27/2014This is the second time we've eaten here in the last 2 months and the second time did not disappoint. Ask to be seated on the upper floor as the lower one has a very energetic bar area which tends to inhibit dinner conversation. Our 6 pm reservation was promptly honored and after assuring our server that we did not have to make a show, we were allowed a non-rushed 2 + hours of eating wonderfully prepared food, and catching up with friends. The location so close to Grand Central station makes Vitae a fabulous find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent early dinnerLewis5Dined on 6/27/2014Ate here before show at Carnegie Hall. Both the duck and beef tenderloin were excellent. While not inexpensive we were happy to pay for the fabulous meal. Refined upscale restaurant and menu with a laid back feel. Would happily dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lilliana GarciaFoodie2Dined on 6/26/2014Pretty restaurant very close to 5th avenue. Appetizers were delicious but the main plates were disappointed.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/24/2014food is good, service is great, has good selection of cocktail drinks I will recommend it especially to out of towners.Special Features:
- Great for business lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/24/2014Dined with a colleague here during the lunch hour. Service was IMPECCABLE; food was great!!! Will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice dinner pre-Radio City showboulisVIPDined on 6/18/2014Good option in place of the typical theater district places. Liked the freebies, even if they are small. Still, there were 4 small food/drink items that were provided for free to each guest. Nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New York Great EatsKerryVDined on 6/18/2014We arrived early for our 5:30 reservation, but they didn't start serving dinner until 5:30pm so we were offered seats at the bar. They had an interesting drink list which changes periodically (monthly, I would guess) . The bartenders were nice as well as the other staff and all very attentive. There were servers, table runners, and a host who made sure our meals came out as they were prepared and our drink needs were met. It was a little pricey but we each ordered 2 meals as appetizers and and one as our main entrée. The lamb, pork tacos, tuna, and others all prepared deliciously with flare and great presentation. Decor was modern. It seemed like a small restaurant with a quaint main room (10 tables) and additional seating upstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veritable VitaeBethDined on 6/17/2014Fabulous, creative food, great service, cool vibe...excellent for business dinners. Consistently wows. I highly recommend Vitae.Special Features:
- a very good dinning experienceablegramVIPDined on 6/16/2014this is my second time dinning here and on both occasions outstanding food and service!Special Features:
- GREAT!GlennkDined on 6/13/2014You won't be disappointed trying Vitae! Great service and great food.Special Features:
- Excellent!DFDCVIPDined on 6/11/2014Had a lovely evening at Vitae! The food was very good, and the service attentive and accommodating but never intrusive. There are lots of nice touches - amuse bouche, cookies, etc. - and the peach salad was especially good. I would highly recommend it for a business of social occasion!Special Features:
- Great discoveryIlovesushiDined on 6/7/2014This place was fantastic! For appetizers, we had the fried oysters and the veal meatball sliders. The amuse bouche was a tasty watermelon juice jello with mint oil. The appetizer portions were substantial and the waiter very kindly told me to order half a portion for my pasta entree instead of the the full portion. Turns out, he was exactly right, there was no way I could've finished a full pasta entree. My pasta entree was perfectly cooked al dente. My boyfriend had a whole trout and he was also very satisfied with the dish. We had no room for dessert, but the petite fours were a nice touch to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!!!KmindyVIPDined on 6/7/2014Where do I start, this restaurant blew us away. Food was exquisite and the staff was delightful especially Leslie. Me and my husband fell in love with Vitae and almost don't want to tell anyone about it, it's that good. Vitae is indeed now our favorite restaurant to dine at when in the city! While eating at the Vitae we dined with our two daughters (8,6) and the staff made them feel so welcomed, thank you Vitae! If we had to pick favorite meals of the night it would definitely be the pulled pork tacos, chestnut Agnolotti & Mascarpone Cheesecake. Food presentation was very beautiful, I really enjoyed the artistic approach especially with the desserts just stunning! We can't wait for our next meal at this Midtown Gem!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.