Vita Nova - University of Delaware
Trabant University Center-2nd floor 17 West Main Street
17 West Main Street
Newark, DE 19716Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Vita Nova - University of Delaware
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.lerner.udel.edu/departments/hrim/vita-nova
- Phone: 3028310500x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 12:30pm Dinner: Wednesday - Friday: 5:30pm - 7:30pm, Bistro Bar & Bistro Dining Room: Wednesday - Friday: 5:30pm - 8:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Joe DiGregorio
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Vita Nova - University of Delaware
Vita Nova is the signature student operated restaurant which is part of the Hotel, Restaurant & Institutional Management program at the University of Delaware. It features a "Best of Delaware" award winning buffet for lunch, fine dining for dinner, the Darden Bistro featuring light fare, & the Copeland Vinotek, a state-of-the-art, redwood-paneled wine cellar. The award winning lunch buffet is $14.95 (includes 12% service charge). The four-course dinner price ranges from $30 to $42, which includes your choice of appetizer, choice of salad, intermezzo, entree selection, and dessert. The Bistro Bar and the Bistro Dining Room features various wines by the glass, a 3-course Theater Menu and a small plates menu, for a light fare dining experience. This is the ideal spot for an impromptu gathering, as reservations are not required.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Vita Nova - University of Delaware reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (14)fit for foodies (12)good for groups (9)notable wine list (9)great for lunch (8)romantic (8)neighborhood gem (5)hot spot (2)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014As I booked this for my Admin to enjoy her Birthday with her Husband, I can only respond to this inquiry by what she said. She and her husband enjoyed themselves very much and loved the service provided.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingShoppinGirlPADined on 10/9/2014What a fabulous dining experience! So glad we chose to dine at Vita Nova. I've eaten in many fine dining establishments across the country and our dinner was among my top 5 best experiences for both food and service. Definitely would return and recommend without reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun experience and a great mealsugarroseDined on 10/8/2014The food is excellent and the formal service is fun and low pressure. So many nice touches like the flavored butter and ability to taste the wines before buying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Every aspect of the evening made for a memorable night that our party is still talking about into the next week!Special Features:
- Worth the experienceBCoxjrDined on 9/25/2014Even though Vita Nova is run by college students, the food and service was absolutely outstanding! It really is a hidden gem that not a lot of people know about. It's worth the experience for sure!Special Features:
- Great experience!Ziva1Dined on 9/25/2014Vita Nova presents a wonderful opportunity to experience fine dining with both excellent food and service at a reasonable price. In addition, knowing that students are perfecting their skills while you enjoy the results is very fulfilling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Kept Secret in Delaware!krf747Dined on 9/24/2014Everything about this restaurant is top notch. It's hard to believe these are young students just learning about restaurant management. We love the rennovations, which just added further to the experience. Wait staff and sommeliers are knowledgeable, food is impeccable. Shhhh! Don't tell anyone. If word ever gets out you won't be able to book a table here!Special Features:
- Vita Nova University of DelawareOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/23/2014This is not my first time having lunch at the Vita Nova. I’m always impressed with service, food and atmosphere. It is such a wonderful learning experience for anyone that would like to go into that field. I enjoyed talking to the students in training and asking question. I can understand why the students are guaranteed a job once they graduate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieDined on 9/12/2014I feel that the servers should try the menu to better be able to answer questions about the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous findGoodeats1Dined on 9/12/2014There were a few issues with mistakes in orders and less frequent visits to table for water refills and clearing of plates. The breads were average, popovers overdone, but the rest of the food was excellent. The mistakes were easily and promptly corrected. I will be going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Outstanding service. Outstanding food! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous place for lunch!AmandaDined on 9/5/2014I have had several wonderful lunches at Vita Nova. The recent renovation of the whole space is very inviting and open. The variety of foods at the lunch buffet is amazing, with very fresh ingredients used throughout. The creme brulee is a luxurious dessert, really good with a drizzle of raspberry sauce! Our student server was very friendly and did a wonderful job informing us about the buffet offerings, as well as a good job clearing away plates, refilling drinks, etc. Dining at Vita Nova is an upscale experience without an upscale price - well done, University of Delaware! Can't wait to try dinner at Vita Nova next month.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 144 reviews are from the Vita Nova - University of Delaware reviews archive.
- Our captain was the best.MrDinerDined on 5/15/2014Outstanding service by future stars of the hospitality industry. The food was incredible, and the wine list plentiful. Be prepared to spend some money, but it is well worth it. You'll be walking away from the table very full after their 4 course dinner. Small and hidden gem at UDel, if you're a student and take a date there, you'll be in the running.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heaven on platesStudents4VitaDined on 5/8/2014After hearing all about Vita Nova for the past 4 years I was thrilled to eat there for the first time and was not disappointed. Everything that came out was absolutely delicious and was enjoyed thoroughly! The students were also so nice, helpful and patient with us. I was so impressed and would suggest that every student go at least once for the experience.Special Features:
- ConsistentJanetDined on 4/25/2014The food is always consistent being of the highest quality. The menu changes from each school year. The service can be a bit off at times - the restaurant is part of the UD restaurant management program, and the students are still learning. Mr. Mayer is always there to make sure that things are running smoothly.Special Features:
- Fabulous!KappraDined on 4/23/2014A very enjoyable dinner from start to finish! The food was incredible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delfanDined on 4/18/2014Excellent food and service. The student servers are very well trained. We have been going to Vita Nova at least two times a year for lunch. Every time the food buffet has been excellent. The salads and desserts are superb and it is hard to not over eat. We love it and plan to go more often and take friends with us. It is a special place we reserve for our special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/17/2014The food was really excellent, as was the service. the staff was very friendly and mde us feel welcome. I had done lunch with a men's group adn evening meal with my wife. My wife really enjoyed the experience. I have recommended to many. The nicest place in a wide area, certainly in Del, Nj, and Pa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/27/2014My meal at Vita Nova was a great experience overall. I was excited to dine at a unique spot on campus where other students would be running the restaurant. The atmosphere was nice, the food was delicious, and the service was wonderful. Really glad that I was able to dine at this restaurant before my graduation from UD. Recommend that all students try to dine at Vita Nova if they have any special occasions to be celebrating.Special Features:
- Mom and I had a great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/18/2014Mom and I had a great time at lunch. The food and service was terrific. Everyone was friendly and helpful. We plan on returning this coming Tuesday. We liked the smoked turkey breast and the Caesar salad, but we both agreed that the artichoke salad was the best. The atmosphere was a little more formal than we are used to, but that just made it feel like it was a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the WaitDebFSUDined on 3/14/2014Friday night reservations are hard to get so it's been 3 yrs since our first visit, but well worth the wait. We were again very impressed with the meal; five star quality at a more moderate price point. The service wasn't quite on par with our first visit; still excellent but not quite superior. I had reserved a table for two but called earlier in the day to see if we could increase to four and was told they were fully booked and couldn't accomodate this request. No problem; however, throughout our meal I noted at least two tables large enough for four people with only two guests. Still, I look forward to returning again next semester!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/14/2014This was my first time dining in at the Vita Nova and the experience was more than I expected. I have a nut allergy and everyone went beyond the normal call-of-duty to ensure my visit was a pleasant one. I also have already spread the good news about the restaurant and plan to return myself one day in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!PattiDined on 3/13/2014We have been going here for yrs. On the upscale, mod-high end of the price range, but so much fun to see the students fulfill their duties. Great to chat w/them and learn of their ambitions. Food is always superb! Atmosphere elegant - strives to be a 4-5 star restaurant and hits the mark!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine in Style - Visit the Vita NovamarchtogoDined on 3/10/2014As we sat in the comfortable chairs and the music played so softly in the back ground you could easily hold a conversation. The lettuce salad was so tasty, while the roasted vegetables were scrumptious. Everyone enjoyed the chicken parmesan and the sliced turkey was superb! The desserts all looked amazing. Everyone in our party enjoyed the crème brŭlee, which was delicious! This was just the perfect way to complete our dining experience and celebrate a birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner with friendspgw56Dined on 3/7/2014We recently dined at Vita Nova and invited another couple to join us. Dinner was fantastic. It was thoroughly enjoyed by all. The students who served us showed remarkable skills despite the short time they had been training. We all 4 ordered different entrees. The presentation on each was great, and the quality of the food was terrific. The wine suggested by the sommelier was delicious. The only opportunity was that one person in our group ordered filet mignon medium well and it was served medium rare. We can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy, fun, transparent diningRichDined on 3/6/2014As you may know, the staff are students. It becomes immediately clear that they are learning and stretching themselves. Plenty of seams showing, but it's delightful to watch as they try to please, which they indeed do enthusiastically. Go with an open mind and a willing attitude. Be part of the exercise and have fun with it.Special Features:
- This is one of our favoritesPoloDined on 2/28/2014This is one of our favorites for a night out to experience 5 star dining at a reasonable price. Its a unique experience since all the servers are U of D students working on their degrees in restaurant management. Its gives you a renewed faith in our youth when you observe their professionalism and work ethic. They are certainly working hard at learning their trade and its fun to discuss their futures with them and what they plan to do after graduation. The atmosphere is first rate and the food is really good so you can't go wrong with a meal at Vita Nova. They are only open a couple nights a week and only during the school semesters so be sure to reserve early for a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was a gift for my familyNeedmoreDined on 2/27/2014This was a gift for my family and it turned to be as special as I had hoped.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday LunchSueTDined on 2/24/2014My friends and I met at Vita Nova for lunch to celebrate our birthdays. We all enjoyed the experience very much. We would come more often but it is difficult to get a reservation. Vita Nova is always booked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/21/2014Wonderful experience, the service and food are incredibleSpecial Features:
- birthday lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/20/2013My group of 3 had a very enjoyable lunch with excellent service and delicious food at a very reasonable price. Highly recommend Vita NovaSpecial Features:
- My personal view of Vita NovaMakomanDined on 11/15/2013From the moment we arrived, we were treated in a way that made us feel special. We were greeted by name. Our table was ready. The waiter answered all of our questions. The beverage person seemed knowledgable. Both of our entrees were delicious as well as our deserts. The price was what we expected. We enjoyed the experience and would highly recommend it to anyone seeking a fine dining experience at a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best meals we haveDeniseDined on 11/13/2013One of the best meals we have ever had. Service was spectacular. Students did a fantastic job in all positions.Special Features:
- EXCELLENT EVENINGLarryDined on 11/8/2013Once again, we really enjoyed the experience from the quality of the food to the service by the students. We will do it again.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceAlexDined on 10/28/2013Exclude the fire alarm chasing us from the dining room - twice - it was an excellent dining experience. Food and service were outstanding. I'll have to try it on a less exciting day again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining in the Heart of NewarkJeanDined on 10/24/2013Always an enjoyable experience. We like to support the University and students.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vita Nova is an excellentSmkahnDined on 10/11/2013Vita Nova is an excellent restaurant that not only has delicious food, but very attentive service. A must when in Delaware!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a wonderful experiencegreatsciteachDined on 10/10/2013We had a wonderful experience from beginning to end. Best Caesar Salad ever! Service and food were excellent and the entire staff made us feel very welcome and special! I highly recommend stopping by Vita Nova!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vita Nova was fabulous. ThecatherineDined on 10/9/2013Vita Nova was fabulous. The food was delicious, the service was excellent as well. I have already recommended it as a lunch spot to 5 of my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love!!FufuDined on 10/4/2013I came here with my family for my birthday last weekend, everything was wonderful. The staff were all friendly and knowledgable, the food was amazing and the dining room was just beautiful. The time between courses could've been shorter, in total we were there about 3 hours for 4 courses but other than that everything was impeccable. I'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.