Virtue Feed & Grain
106 S. Union St.
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Virtue Feed & Grain
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://virtuefeedgrain.com/
- Phone: 571-970-3669x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Thursday 11:30am-12:00am, Friday 11:30am-1:00am, Saturday 11:00am-1:00am, Sunday 11:00am-12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Santiago Lopez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Special Events: Private Parties, Stunning Weddings & Receptions, Rehearsal Dinners with a view, Cool Cocktail Parties, or Memorable Meetings ~ Virtue has you covered!
We have everything you need to make a fabulous impression with your guests: fantastic hors d’oeuvres, great drinks, delicious food, a beautiful space, friendly staff, and a terrific atmosphere!
Let us know how we can help with your next event!
- Cross Street: King St.
- Public Transit: King Street Metro
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There are 3 parking garages on South Union St. within 2 blocks of the restaurant: Republic Parking Systems, Central Parking Systems, and Parking Solo.
Free 2 hour parking is also available along many of the streets parallel to S. Union St.
For PM Service Wednesday thru Sunday- Altman Parking next door offers a reduced rate. Park, pay $7 and then bring a stamped receipt to receive $3 back.
A word from Virtue Feed & Grain
Virtue is a modern American tavern located near the Potomac River in Old Town, Alexandria. Our menu offers an array of farm-fresh food and refreshing cocktails to please your tastebuds, and a vibrant atmosphere to make for an enjoyable dining experience at any time of day! Housed in a historic feed & grain warehouse from the late 1800s, Virtue's stunning rustic modern decor is sure to impress.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Virtue Feed & Grain - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
Virtue Feed & Grain reviews from OpenTable diners
248 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (116)neighborhood gem (112)fit for foodies (104)good for groups (96)vibrant bar scene (90)hot spot (75)great for lunch (63)special occasion (60)great for brunch (57)romantic (45)scenic view (45)notable wine list (29)kid-friendly (25)late-night find (18)Show More
- Nice restaurant, good foodesoccer85VIPDined on 9/27/2014Very nice seating either outside or by the window. Prompt service with good food. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- DiningSaturdayNightDined on 9/26/2014Made a reservation for 9:15 and got there a little bit before. They were jammed packed and we still got seated before 9:15. The server was very friendly. We had the brisket appetizer and the hummus guacamole was amazing. However the table next to us seemed not to have the same experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WAY TOO LOUDHungryDined on 9/26/2014This is more like a bar than a restaurant. If you want LOUD, where you can't talk across a table this would appeal. If you want to dine and visit do not go here. The noise completely ruined the dining experience
- Great Happy HourAdventureLovingJayhawkVIPDined on 9/26/2014We headed to Virtue after sightseeing and our late lunch was during their Happy Hour. Several tasty, local brews were available and we loved the Port City Ways and Means. We also tried the nachos (plenty of them and quite tasty), guacamame hummus, and crab dip (rich and delicious). We had great service and our waitress was very knowledgable about the beers available.Special Features:
- ExcellentdryindelrayDined on 9/23/2014This place is great on many levels. It's a good spot to grab a drink after work, take a girl/guy you'd like to impress on a date, or even get a small group together. Excellent food with an eclectic menu. A+Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great gathering placerobindDined on 9/22/2014Virtue Feed & Grain is a restaurant with an energetic vibe. The bar scene was busy, loud and a great [;ace for groups. We dined outdoors, which was nice on a great early fall evening. Food was good - a bit over-salted, but still tasty. It was rather loud - there was a convention group next to us, and they were a few drinks to the wind. One complaint we had was that the entrees were delivered about 3 minutes after the salad. With the small size of the tables (not to mention that our tilted downward because of sitting on brick sidewalk) this proved challenging. I think its poor planning on the staffs part to serve entrees so close to delivering appetizers or salads.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My New Traditional Fri/Sunday SpotRaymondDined on 9/21/2014I think about their food throughout the week. I think about their environment regularly. I compare every restaurant to them. They have the best French Fries and I think I am addicted... I will be seeing them again this weekend, because no matter the time, they are always ready to serve me just what I need, minus the platter!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining ExperienceBradBDined on 9/20/2014This is a Old Town Alexandria gem. Great location, great food, great service and great ambiance at a popular price. This is the perfect place for business or pleasure. Simple but complete menu of the freshest food. After 10 years living in the Washington, DC area and someone who eats out every night this is one of my favorites hands down. Virtue Feed & Grain is a must do and repeat.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchShanaDined on 9/14/2014I've been here once before, when the restaurant was less crowded, and the food and service was great. This time around, we waited 30 minutes after receiving our appetizers to get our main course. The apps were delicious, but the grilled cheese could use a little butter and my boyfriend's breakfast came out without the french toast. Instead of taking the plate back, they brought out the french toast on a separate small plate a few minutes later, but it tasted like regular toast with nutella drizzled on top. Won't be going back during such a busy time (there was an art fair going on a few blocks away).Special Features:
- A true let downdcnveaterDined on 9/14/2014Virtue has a great atmosphere and good cocktails. However, brunch was very underwhelming. Despite a reservation and timely arrival, it took awhile to get seated. And then we went unnoticed by the wait staff for probably 10 minutes, without an apology for the wait (although the table next to us who had been there 5 minutes less got one). Once we were able to order both our food and drinks were slow coming out. The eggs chesapeake I ordered was bland and not fresh - think frozen homefry potatoes and less-than-fresh crabcake. Bottom line: slow and poor service and very mediocre food.Special Features:
- Healthy, sustainable and yummyRuthieVIPDined on 9/13/2014I was excited to find VF&G--have become tired of the Old Town staples--and it didn't disappoint. The ambience is very cool, using all repurposed building materials to create a warm yet hip and inviting atmosphere. Thoughtfully placed screened in picture windows on the second floor provided an open air feeling and a natural light to brighten up the back room, and cozy couches and coffee tables added a nice homey touch to the front room. Service was extremely attentive and friendly, the food was equally good. We had lunch--crab cake starter, fish tacos and Bison burger and all were prepared to perfection. This is a restaurant that clearly has every detail attended to and their "green" commitment is the icing on the cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice business lunch locationOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/11/2014Perfect for a business lunch - good service, nice but not stuffy, great outdoor spaceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Kid on the BlockHarrisonDuckworthDined on 9/10/2014More upscale than its neighbor, Union Street Bar & Grill, Virtue is smaller and decorated as if its a man cave inside a renovated barn. It trends towards business lunches and tourist fly-bys, but has an interesting dinner menu. The patio is good for outside dining if you don't mind the traffic, both foot and vehicle. That said its better than being right on King Street. A key point of the establishment is its bar and this is where Virtue comes into its own - it's worth stopping by for a GNT or two...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the name, but too loud!!TravelingdinerVIPDined on 9/6/2014Loved location & concept, but too loud for my friends' gathering. Couldn't talk to one another. Lesson learned! Good menu, but atmosphere out of control!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Overpriced (17$), overcooked hamburger. Server took my plate before I had finished food, took cups before finished drinking.Special Features:
- Very fine mealRudyGManDined on 9/5/2014I ordered the bison burger and enjoyed it immensely - it was cooked just right, the roll did not overwhelm and the side pickles were exceptional, a bit of dill, sweetness and a slight spicy habanero touch. Service was very efficient on a very busy night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warehouse PubVLawDined on 9/5/2014Ideally located at the foot of King Street in the heart of Old Town. Rustic warehouse ambiance with close "neighborly seating" and an inviting long bar along the side. The food was average at best: the crab cake mediocre, the salad had a soppy tasteless dressing; However the crab corn chowder and desserts were good. Nice venue for a beer and a hamburger or sandwich but there are far better restaurants a few steps away. Definitely has promise -- if they improve their food offerings beyond the hamburgers. I will note that we received friendly, prompt and attentive service from our waitress.Special Features:
- Disappointed After Hearing the HypeSanFranVisitorVIPDined on 9/1/2014Always looking for a new spot in Old Town, I booked a table for two for lunch with a friend. She had been before and said how good it was. I left unimpressed with the food. Service was quite attentive, and we got a table with a view of the river, but the food was average at best. Started with shared plate of nachos - half hot, half cold (microwave in the mix), then shared Panzanella salad which was a big disappointment given tomatoes are in their prime right now. Large chunks of so-so tomato with a touch of frisee and croutons, not bread and very little dressing/balsamico/olive oil. We then split the fish tacos. Again, nothing to rave about. Over rated.
- Noisy brunchlovetoeatDined on 8/31/2014Went for brunch. A bit on the noisy side. I could hardly hear what the other person was saying. That alone may prevent me from coming back. They need some sort of sound absorber in the ceiling. The Bloody Mary was well made. I ordered the crab cake benedict. Menu said it came with asparagus salad. It came with arugula on the side. I did find one very small asparagus tip in it. The benedict was also missing any type of sauce like hollandaise, and the crab cake and egg didn't even cover the English muffin. Attention to detail is lacking here. For the price you pay here, it is disappointing.Special Features:
- Great bar staff!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/30/2014This was not our first time at Virtue but we loved it. The bar staff and bar manager were outstanding and expanded our knowledge of Rum and Whiskey (good call since we ended up drinking more). The food is outstanding. Only two complaints: 1) we ate upstairs in the back and the walk from our table to the bathroom involved a very, very slippery wood floor (something that should probably get handled so people don't sue) and 2) while the bar staff and service was great...our waiter disappeared for large periods of time when we wanted to order or refill drinks. The waiter was nice but he just wasn't around as much as he needed to. He must have had tables somewhere else far away from us in the restaurant. I think his name was Eren?Special Features:
- Bar sceneKattDined on 8/30/2014I was disappointed because I did not know that this restaurant was mostly a noisy bar. Food is good not great. House salad was overdressed but the tomato salad was good. Service was poor. Drinks came slowly and had to ask 3 times during dinner for cocktail sauce. Probably a good place to meet for drinks before going to dinner.Special Features:
- Good, not greatbert16Dined on 8/30/2014Came here for drinks and appetizers early in the evening before heading to a show. The food was solid and I love their patio space; but the service was inattentive. The server was friendly and took our initial order promptly; but we had to flag him down after sitting around with empty glasses that were desperate for a refill. Eventually got the refills and then, after sitting around with empties yet again, just decided to flag him down for the cheque instead of another round (even though we should've had plenty of time), for fear of how long the whole process would take. Again, solid food, good beer and wine selection, and friendly enough service; just expect to actually be waited on.Special Features:
- Virtue is good eats.GoodEatsDined on 8/30/2014Virtue is a great place to go for something as simple as a drink, to a group get together for lunch or dinner and everything in between. The food is excellent, and interesting. They do daily specials with locally sourced products that tantalize your pallet. For those who like to eat the same thing often they have a core menu of food that is tasty and well executed. Their appetizers are creative and tasty and sized such that sharing several works out well. The lunch and dinner portions are well sized for a normal appetite. The service is superb and the ambiance is really nice. The upstairs near the back windows is a prime spot to be and if you like eating outside they have a nice little outdoor space on the lower level. I recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding !!!!EVSSL827Dined on 8/27/2014The service, food,waitress and scenic view was awesome !!!Highly recommended !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Favorite RestaurantskippysviewDined on 8/24/2014This was my 3rd experience at Virtue and first time for brunch. I had no idea how pleasant the upstairs seating by the open air windows was going to be. The view, service and quality of food make this a spot I will return to again and again. We visit Old Town about once a month and it will be hard for me to go other places. I have several food restrictions and felt tastefully attended to.....thanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week GemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2014Went out for restaurant week and enjoyed our dinner. Great server, lots of good food, and good wine. Enjoyed our night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good value!SridharDined on 8/22/2014We enjoyed the Restaurant Week prices, but will come again for the regular food and fare. The service was outstanding and we felt very comfortable there!Special Features:
- Don't Go for Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/21/2014Many restaurants take advantage of Restaurant and put their best foot forward in the hopes of attracting new clientele. Never having dined at Virtue, I hoped Restaurant Week would give me an opportunity to try out this relatively new restaurant and get a better idea of its culinary caliber. Well, if this is Virtue's best foot, then it's better to skip this establishment, especially in favor of Old Town's other robust options. The RW menu provided a limited selection. The calamari was heavy and pretty generic. The same goes for the chocolate peanut butter icebox pie. The salmon entree was well prepared, but it hardly validated the $35 price tag. Maybe Virtue is a decent place with decent food. But after my RW experience, I may never know.
- VirtueBirthdaygirlVIPDined on 8/21/2014Open Table's highest noise description is "Energetic", which I chose because "Noisy" wasn't offered. This is my 3rd time at Virtue and I continue to be underwhelmed. The food is okay, serving staff are generally "precious", portions are not overly generous. The interior of the building is the star of the enterprise, otherwise my response is "Meh".Special Features:
- A real GemPabloDined on 8/19/2014My wife and I went here during Alexandria Restaurant week because we thought it sounded like a good place we should check out. Wow were we pleased. I grew up on a farm so the whole atmosphere had that rustic feel to it. The building has the feel of an old barn remodeled into something special. The whole layout had it's one charm. The menu even for restaurant week was great, just hard to narrow down a choice. Personally after just one visit this has probably become my favorite place to go. The service was superb and very friendly. I honestly can say that if your looking for a great experience in a great location of Old Town Alexandria I would certainly stop in here for a bite to eat, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Noisy OutsideChezmegDined on 8/19/2014There was lipstick on the wineglass when it came to me, but the server noticed it before he sat it down. Sat outside and there was a lot of airplane noise from DCA. Food was good although my steak was overdone. Server was very attentive. Went during Restaurant Week, and there was a good selection of entrees to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as I had hoped.KMCfromDCVIPDined on 8/18/2014Service was excellent. Food was above average, but not what I expected after reading many reviews.Special Features:
- Great place with good foodcapfan31Dined on 8/18/2014We recently went to celebrate a career achievement with some friends and had a great dining experience. Our waitress was very imformative on the different beer options, foods that gluten free. Service was great, food came out perfect and I couldn't have asked for more. We will be back for sure.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere and tastesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2014This venue featured a unique setup and atmosphere fitting for any time of day. Specifically, the ambient lighting, furniture, candles embedded in the wall and the array of quality dishes made for a great night. The portions are legitimately generous, so plan to take home some leftovers if you would like.Special Features:
- Disappointing, worth skippingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014Service was incredibly slow, no sense of urgency. The waitress was pleasant, but aloof and forgot to put our appetizer in. We received our entree first and then she said she could just not have it come out. It still came out (but was comped) and tasted more like a crab chowder versus a crab dip. Very disappointing. Everything else was average, although I will admit, they have a great bloody Mary. I think I'll only be back to Virtue if meeting friends at the bar, not to dine. I've really tried to like this place, because it's a really charming space in a great location, but has always failed me. Other reviews seem to reflect the same sentiments.Special Features:
- GreatjackVIPDined on 8/17/2014We had brunch on A Sunday afternoon and it was good. We had reservation and were seated promptly outside which I had requested. We would go back again.Special Features:
- Delicious and great serviceLuv2eatVIPDined on 8/17/2014Love the chefs day-of brunch creations from the local farmers market, and every single thing we've had for appetizer, dinner or brunch has been a home run. Attentive staff as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwfulOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/17/2014I made a reservation, but waited while the hostess sat two other groups ahead of us (neither of which had reservations). The interior is very cool, but the furniture is impractical. When we were seated, the bench seating could not be pulled out enough to sit; I had to kneel and scoot across the bench and then tuck my knees under. Awkward! The waiter in our section was frazzled. He kept forgetting about us and did not know the menu. I ordered ice tea, which was so watery, it was undrinkable. After hearing the table next to us, and the table behind us complain about the food (raw chicken, burnt chicken), we paid for my drink and left before ordering food.
- Fun in Old TownFoodieplantladyDined on 8/17/2014A great place to enjoy a lively scene! The eco theme of the whole place was carried out well, and it was very comfortable to be there.Special Features:
- Bad Food, Even Worse ServiveComehereoftenVIPDined on 8/17/2014The food here is poor and extremely overpriced. The service is terrible.